• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

BTA

I've been slowly making my way through Nier and things have definitely been going places post
timeskip.
I'm getting much more of the love people have for this now that the story has been progressing.

The bit is fine when played for laughs, not when the game is on the line. He did transition, but it was too late to matter for Alex and the fail state for Vinny is just collateral damage. I think most of the hate is overblown around the XCOM episode and hope they continue making episodes. It's a fun feature and hopefully the deaths of Vinny and Alex make each person take the game a bit more seriously.

I think that point was where I started loving it too; I was pretty into it before that point but that's where it clicked fully.

I think he probably didn't realize how overwhelmed he'd end up. I do wish he'd taken it more seriously to start with and then played it up only once he had reason to be confident, but yeah, it's fun and hopefully these deaths prompt a little more seriousness and figuring out cover and such.

Based on how much I loved the original, I still need to play Gravity Rush 2. I've probably played the rest I would adore.

Yeah, GR2 hit at a bad time and I really really want to play more than an hour of it. But the rest of the year is kinda packed and that makes it not as much of a priority. So... probably getting to that sometime early next year at this rate? I'd say December but I'm assuming Automata's gonna eat most of my time then.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, what games from this year do you guys have on your GOTY backlog? I want to play Nier, and I have to wrap up BOTW.

Prey and Horizon are the big ones for me.

I got prey but I keep wanting to play Dj max.

Plus I want to get through trails of cold steel first before getting to that.

Hasney

Yeah, GR2 hit at a bad time and I really really want to play more than an hour of it. But the rest of the year is kinda packed and that makes it not as much of a priority. So... probably getting to that sometime early next year at this rate? I'd say December but I'm assuming Automata's gonna eat most of my time then.

I fortunately got Yakuza 0, Nier and Persona 5 out of the way for long ones and Kiwami comes out during the bank holiday. Fall isn't doing much for me at least, outside of Mario, so I can catch up on some other things then.

Antiwhippy

October is going to be lit though because of....

Taiko no tashujin!

hori-taiko-no-tatsujin-session-de-dodon-ga-don-drum-drum-stick-controller-for-ps4-ps4-088-ps4-.jpg

This has been a hell of a year for rhythm games actually.

I know I missed out on the drama but my hot take:

Dan's just really bad at XCOM. Dan survived because of his self-preservation but the only reason the others died and he lost the mission was because he made a lot of really poor choices.

People need to chill on Dan wanting to save himself. Abby did the same thing (she tried to throw Dan under the bus to save herself) only she doesn't have Dan's ridiculous luck so it backfired.

patapuf

Dan's just really bad at XCOM. Dan survived because of his self-preservation but the only reason the others died and he lost the mission was because he made a lot of really poor choices.

People need to chill on Dan wanting to save himself. Abby did the same thing (she tried to throw Dan under the bus to save herself) only she doesn't have Dan's ridiculous luck so it backfired.

The AI could have shot at Dan instead of Vinny, both were equally exposed.

Aselith

Requesting treatment is throwing him under the bus?

daveo42

Banned

It was pretty perfect for me since it came out in January and I had enough time until Horizon came out to play it to completion. It's one game that will get drowned out this year flooded with great games, but it's still one I'm glad I got to play. It'll end up on my list somewhere, just not sure where yet.

BTA

I fortunately got Yakuza 0, Nier and Persona 5 out of the way for long ones and Kiwami comes out during the bank holiday. Fall isn't doing much for me at least, outside of Mario, so I can catch up on some other things then.

I got P5 out of the way, but I've been catching up on VNs which take a while as is and DR V3's only gonna add to that. Meant to catch up on some things from the past couple years that I've been meaning to play (finishing Dishonored 2 at the least, among other much smaller things) during this and next month, but this month has kinda been bad for me in terms of actually getting things done at night so I'm not sure how much of that. Particularly as I've been dedicating a lot of free time to TV too, which is sorta unusual for me but satisfying.

Still, happy I've been able to play what I have this year and I'm sure the rest of the year will be pretty fun even if I don't get to certain things. And I'm sure there will be sudden releases to disrupt everything regardless. Hopefully the start of next year is a little slow so I can catch up more.

Yeah it's easy to blame Dan's shtick, but if you actually look at what happened, he would've been fucked anyway. There are reasons to be tired of the heel thing or the terrible way he plays PUBG but he's just really bad at XCOM. That's it.

And tbh on the latest Murder Island Alex's complete cowardice was even worse to watch than Dan's looting. Dude did absolutely fuck-all and when he does do something, it's a string of the most baffling decisions you've ever seen anyone make.

Antiwhippy

Finally got to the "fucking WHAT?!" portion of this week's Murder Island

despite Dan's trolling, he's genuinely one of the best at the game of the entire GB crew

a minute after the "level 2 helmet" comment he was murdering dudes, and I'm pretty sure he's gotten further than anyone (twice) on the site streams

I mean that part was also him not being in a team fight when they could have gotten out without any casualties.

Wunder

Finally got to the "fucking WHAT?!" portion of this week's Murder Island

despite Dan's trolling, he's genuinely one of the best at the game of the entire GB crew

a minute after the "level 2 helmet" comment he was murdering dudes, and I'm pretty sure he's gotten further than anyone (twice) on the site streams

alex got 2nd by proning on a hill while the last guy ran across the screen and shot him

i dunno if its fair to label best when the scale is like Terrible to Also Terrible

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah it's easy to blame Dan's shtick, but if you actually look at what happened, he would've been fucked anyway. There are reasons to be tired of the heel thing or the terrible way he plays PUBG but he's just really bad at XCOM. That's it.

And tbh on the latest Murder Island Alex's complete cowardice was even worse to watch than Dan's looting. Dude did absolutely fuck-all and when he does do something, it's a string of the most baffling decisions you've ever seen anyone make.

Yeah, people give dan shit for not helping in team fights, but Alex doesn't either
Jeff is down the hill getting shot by people Alex might be able to get his eyes on.

He hides, and looks the wrong way.

For all their "spicy" talk, it is some of the least aggressive play i've seen

They’re all objectively terrible at PUBG. I feel like it’s much easier to just luck out and win a solo match than a team match. For that they will need actual skill and coordination. They have neither of those things so they’ll never win.

Blaming Dan is just an easy scapegoat.

It still blows my mind that they don’t land together and separate constantly....like what??? Move as a group!

The only way I can see them winning a squad chicken dinner is if it's Brad, Jeff, Vinny and Will Smith or some other ringer who can take charge. You can make up for lack of individual skill with squad cohesion or a leader with good game sense, which they do not have.

BearPawB

Banned
I think Vinny clearly has the most potential.
And Jeff would be good if he put more time in

I would take:
Vinny, Jeff, Brad, Ben

the dark truth is that no one is good at PUBG and it's all random

it's a fucking game of Mario Party

There is randomness to the game, but you watch a good player play and they win 50% of the time. which is pretty damn good odds for a 100 person game

Wunder

The only way I can see them winning a squad chicken dinner is if it's Brad, Jeff, Vinny and Will Smith or some other ringer who can take charge. You can make up for lack of individual skill with squad cohesion or a leader with good game sense, which they do not have.

yeah, they need a leader that can cut through the noise and make decisions. It doesn't matter whether those decisions work out or not, but the hemming and hawing about where to go and what to do usually costs them valuable time. No one on that crew has enough experience to comfortably do it so it's probably better to bring in an outsider.

Hindl

I think Vinny clearly has the most potential.
And Jeff would be good if he put more time in

I would take:
Vinny, Jeff, Brad, Ben

There is randomness to the game, but you watch a good player play and they win 50% of the time. which is pretty damn good odds for a 100 person game
Sub Ben for Abby. Nothing against Ben but Abby's gotten shit done while I mostly remember Ben being downed and asking for help

Zeroro

It doesn't seem uncommon for people to win a PUBG match with 0 kills, so Alex's strategy of hanging back for most of a match is completely legitimate.

The AI could have shot at Dan instead of Vinny, both were equally exposed.

Hence me bringing up his luck. In regards to self preservation I meant things like clearly not playing his class.

Requesting treatment is throwing him under the bus?

Listen to her throughout the ep. She figured she was in a safe spot, then as soon as she took damage her priority was to put Dan in the line of fire so that he could get a heal off on her. It was a bad play driven by perceived self preservation (she should have backed off and had Dan focus on the alien if she wanted to save herself)

If you make a squad of friends on XCOM it's not crazy that most folks will put their own character's safety above everyone else. The fact people are still demonising Dan for doing so 3 days later is nuts. It's part of why I think the series is fun. There's something perfect about Dan and Abby having similar focuses and skill levels, yet Abby only manages to kill off her characters whilst Dan gets everyone killed but himself.

PUBG is harder to watch, but at the same time I get anxious enough when playing that game myself when I don't have hundreds/thousands people watching and criticising me. I feel a lot of the PUBG play would be cleared up if they got use to communicating more in combat.

BTA

Honestly (with the caveat I've played a decent amount less than them at this point, and am far less used to shooters besides) I find it hard to blame anyone for their behavior in PUBG. I definitely get super anxious when firefights start popping off and hide/shoot badly, and am bad at perceiving the direction shots are coming from, and so on.

I really wish they'd just go the way of Awful Squad and start using ridiculous gimmicks instead of actually caring about playing seriously. I'd start watching again if they did.

Aselith

Honestly (with the caveat I've played a decent amount less than them at this point, and am far less used to shooters besides) I find it hard to blame anyone for their behavior in PUBG. I definitely get super anxious when firefights start popping off and hide/shoot badly, and am bad at perceiving the direction shots are coming from, and so on.

I really wish they'd just go the way of Awful Squad and start using ridiculous gimmicks instead of actually caring about playing seriously. I'd start watching again if they did.

They need to get at least one W and then they can stop giving a fuck and do some weird shit

I feel like they all already have their own gimmick.

So, what games from this year do you guys have on your GOTY backlog? I want to play Nier, and I have to wrap up BOTW.

Waiting on Yakuza 0 to get a little cheaper, and still need to check out Observer, but I've got played enough of the rest to understand where things are for me currently.

BearPawB

Banned
Waiting on Yakuza 0 to get a little cheaper, and still need to check out Observer, but I've got played enough of the rest to understand where things are for me currently.

I have sat on Horizon for months.

I tried to play it right after Zelda and was not feeling it

Observer is greattttttttt

Hasney

I have sat on Horizon for months.

I tried to play it right after Zelda and was not feeling it

Observer is greattttttttt

I really hate the combat, feel like it takes too long. Might play again on story difficulty now just to get through it as I was enjoying the story.

BTA

I feel like they all already have their own gimmick.

Sure, but off the top of my head (and I'm not caught up) Awful Squad's done:

• 5th person spectates (from streaming player's POV but with no delay) and gives orders
  • 5th person decides player to be a traitor that the others need to figure out before they're killed
  • Various zombie/custom game types
  • A trivia/jeopardy game run by a 5th (or n+1 in custom) person who gives out punishments upon failure

I don't think all of that or that tone necessarily works for GB but something like the traitor game or one of them sitting back to be the strategist might be fun.

Top Bottom