• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Hopefully I'm wrong, but my experience with the raid left me thinking they'll hate most of the encounters and get really frustrated with it - especially Jeff. Its not a good raid at all.

I agree with you. That is, I saw my buddies run the full raid on stream, but from what I saw, its not fun at all. The fact that theres one boss just kills it. I want destiny because you fight big bads , not run in circles through hoops.

And yeah Jeff is gonna haaaate it.

Tagyhag

Oh.

No SMS because they're gonna do a Destiny raid.

Fun

Destiny raids are about the only thing that look interesting to me from the series.
They should just make a game that's all raids.

That's a good idea.

As long as it's not the same quality of this raid.

It's the worst part of the entire game so far. Maybe a bit less than Trials of the Nine.

I feel i'm the only one who will honestly miss murder island when/if they stop doing it.

Nah I'll miss it too. Say what you want, it's fantastic for someone who multitasks like I do.

My understanding is this raid is a whole lot of "do the exact same overly complex thing 4x times to complete this section" for each section and it feels way more dragged out then previous raids.

Its probably not gonna be fun to watch or to play.

Harpuia

That's a good idea.

As long as it's not the same quality of this raid.

It's the worst part of the entire game so far. Maybe a bit less than Trials of the Nine.

Like I get that most MMOs need to pad that shit out so that you build up to raids, but.

C'mon.

If any company could do it, it'd be Bungie.

That's probably why I loved left 4 dead so much. The sequences were rather fun to play through multiple times. Played it on the right difficulty, it's also much more fun.

Xyrmellon

I remember Jeff saying he had to keep talking Dan out of doibg the raid on his own, but that was at least a week ago (on the Bombcast?). Does anyone know if Dan held out? I also believe they're all playing it pretty hardcore except Alex, so who gets left out? I'm guessing Jason because I think he was the most underleveled and he has to run the control room?

Hasney

I remember Jeff saying he had to keep talking Dan out of doibg the raid on his own, but that was at least a week ago (on the Bombcast?). Does anyone know if Dan held out? I also believe they're all playing it pretty hardcore except Alex, so who gets left out? I'm guessing Jason because I think he was the most underleveled and he has to run the control room?

The fans of Steal My Sunshine are left out.

Yeah, definitely. It was super well stated. Has anyone made an excerpt of it?

I just did because it deserves it. Listening to that talk again is even more poignant the second time around.

If you've got a correction send it in to Beastcast@Giantbomb.com all corrections are welcome, good thing we never make any mistakes here....Alright, I have a correction that I'm sending in. This one comes from me and I'd like to address a little bit of the PDP stuff from last week. We got some feedback on the anemic uh, listen, my personal nil-touch response to it and I realized(and I realize it too often with this podcast) Not everyone takes this podcast with all of our other content. You can absorb this podcast in a vacuum. So we have covered a lot of this stuff previously with the PDP stuff and you know, sometimes I struggle to find our voice. Like, what are we adding to this and you know it's a complicated thing.

So, people are right. That noise floor for this kind of bullshit needs to stay high. That is a thing that we constantly need to, especially given the events of the last couple of months, constantly be talking about it. I think where I struggle sometimes is finding what a value can I add to this, right? because sometimes you got to shut up and just listen to the right people on this stuff too. Like, people who are directly affected by this stuff. The people who have the things to say on this thing which for me, is sometimes not the white dude sitting here telling you how racism is bad. And you know, that's a struggle for me sometimes when I'm being...adding a value. As much as I admire and I wish I were a quarter of the writer that somebody like Ta-Nehisi Coates is y'know I will never be like a black dad trying to tell you how raising a child in this atmosphere SUCKS.

What I will share and hopefully this will be of value to some of our listeners. This is a bit of my path through this stuff, this is the white guy who grew up in a lower middle class, Long Island. I heard, probably used, probably every racial homophobic ethnic slur possible when growing up, it just was around. It took me and I don't think..at least I hope I wasn't a racist and my friends I don't think were racists but we used that language. It took me probably too long to realize that when you use the language of racism, when you use the symbology of racism, you're still keeping that stuff alive. You know, I'm not a racists but you joke around and use that stuff"....you're appropriating the language that is used for bigotry and hatred and you're keeping that stuff alive. I don't want to get too much into like the Noam Chomsky-esque language and how that affects your thought patterns but I do believe it and I do believe that the more you use that language, the more you think about that stuff in different ways then if you weren't going to use it. The critical thinking that happens, the ease in which those things come to you shouldn't be there and I know I'm not alone in this, probably in this room even but I'm not going to speak for anybody else.

I appreciated it so much when people came to me and let me know that this was inappropriate. That we're not using this anymore and I struggle and I still struggle to this day to bring that back to friends and stuff back home. It's tough and they're tough conversations to have, to say we don't use this anymore or you do it with your friend groups the way you think is appropriate to say to your friend groups... and people will react differently. But if people can't give up using that kind of language, that kind of hateful language, if they make it define themselves like it is their right to use this kind of hateful language....You really need to re-think what hill those people are willing to die on for this. I think the voice that I would like to add to this is, if you're struggling to see what you can do....You're saying "I'm just another white voice saying racism is bad" yeah, we all know that and we are caught in the reverberations of an echo chamber but when you go back to where you grew up and people are still joking around and using that kind of language in circles back home. You gotta nudge'em in the right direction and I think through that we will hopefully try and remove the ease and the kind of, negative nature, the way the people just shorthand use these things, these racial slurs and homophobic slurs to reference our friends and y'know, our families.

I think that's really important and it's not the struggle of just the people who are targets, we all need to get involved in it. It's the people who are targeting other people and I feel those are the people I grew up with and sometimes it wasn't intentional but those of us who feel like we have come around to it can help change that. So, hopefully that's more value than getting up there and being like "racism is bad!" and the part that I want to just hammer home too is that I do agree that that noise level needs to stay high in the general sense of calling this stuff out and secondly, also I want to make sure, you need to go and listen to diverse voices out there. It is very important to make sure those voices are heard because they will inform how you think about this stuff and put faces to these people and make sure that you surround yourself with the diversity. Don't just be tolerant to diverse opinions you need to encourage diverse opinions. That's pretty much all I have to say about that for now.

I know this doesn't stand on its own and people listen to this in a vacuum and I'm aware of that and we'll probably be revisiting this ground again. I was upset that people thought we were trying to ignore for reasons that I strongly felt I didn't agree with. It was a frustration I had with people who haven't recognized a pattern. Like one point on a map isn't a trajectory, 2 or 3 and you start to see a line. People who are still running parallel to that without recognizing a pattern also need to rethink what's attractive to you about that. What you're aligning with and what your values are. When people use language of bigotry and hatred even if they themselves say they are not racist, you're going to start to get lumped in and I think a lot of people's patience and my patience in particular, is running out for that kind of defense and it's a weak defense.

If you're using it, you're keeping it alive. There are plenty of words in the English language and throughout history that we have let go. It is not a hill to fucking die on. The right to be speaking in hateful terms and use terms that are derogatory towards others and I do think that the language that you use, shape the way you think and I think that's very important to understand. You can do your part if you're finding trouble finding a voice and try to nudge that conversation and try to scrub some of that. Those words should sound like sandpaper on your ears when you hear them. They should not be something that you're having 1500 words on "what are jokes?" we're passed that point.

Zaph

My understanding is this raid is a whole lot of "do the exact same overly complex thing 4x times to complete this section" for each section and it feels way more dragged out then previous raids.

Its probably not gonna be fun to watch or to play.

There's going to be at least 3 hours of this

gdrmCNP.gif

By all accounts, this is some of the worst Destiny content put out. After doing some reading since the announcement, I could see Jeff straight up rage quitting.

Possible schadenfreude is the cherry on top for me but w'ell see.

I assume Bungie has fixed some of those issues...maybe.

Caught up on the thread & GB. Today was one looong ass day, ugh.

- A very ok episode of Exquisite Corps then again it wasn't a scary or intense mission so that's understandable
- I have Yakuza Kiwami unopened still. Saving it for Christmas BUT judging from the QL, I can't wait to replay that game in a whole new look
- YAAAAY CHICKEN DINNNERRRR! Really looking forward to the archive and I guess RIP MURDER MONDAYS
-Not excited for the Raid stream but I'll watch it because I will never do that BS for sure
-NO SMS :( but that will only make its return sweeter
Writing and speaking are two different things

Precisely. It works better in audio form because if I were to condense it more and make it succinct, you lose something out of it I feel. However, everyone should listen to that segment if they haven't yet. 1:42:00(EP.122)

About 6 hours into Nier.... Does this game ever start looking halfway decent? It looks like a desaturated launch PS3 game with no Anti Ailasing. This has to be the ugliest looking game I've play in the last 5 years easily. I don't see what anyone else sees in it so far.

BTA

I guess I really should take off on Friday if I can, I guess, for V3 and messing with the SNES and now some Golf Story too...

I also have a personal project to work on, and I'm still playing Dishonored 2 and Rabbids... And the occasional Heat Signature...

I'm going to get none of this done really but it'll be fun

Jintor

About 6 hours into Nier.... Does this game ever start looking halfway decent? It looks like a desaturated launch PS3 game with no Anti Ailasing. This has to be the ugliest looking game I've play in the last 5 years easily. I don't see what anyone else sees in it so far.

I think most of the good stuff gets lost in its colour palette tbh.

Just really drab environments. If Platinum has a weakness, it's definitely in level art.

Moaradin

It might not be the most technically advanced game, but it has some great art direction. Though the anti aliasing issue can be fixed on the PC version :p

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I believe Brad completed the raid already. It's weird that they told Dan not to.

At least Brad will be able to instruct a bit in various parts.

It ain't going to get better but it is beautiful where it matters the most.
So I believe Brad completed the raid already. It's weird that they told Dan not to.

At least Brad will be able to instruct a bit in various parts.

Because Brad had to review the game and he mentioned that he won't be spoiling the raid to anyone(I'm guessing he will when all else fails).

I just finished the latest BeastCast... Did Dan really say that soccer was "way more complicated" than basketball? As an American raised in the midwest like Dan, this seems crazy to me (basketball is way more complicated in my opinion). Anyone else think soccer is more complicated than basketball?

Basketball has: travelling, double dribble, free throws, and ones, bonus penalties, technical fouls, 3 point lines, can't spend too much time in the "paint"...

Soccer has: offsides, and corner kicks.

I just finished the latest BeastCast... Did Dan really say that soccer was "way more complicated" than basketball? As an American raised in the midwest like Dan, this seems crazy to me (basketball is way more complicated in my opinion). Anyone else think soccer is more complicated than basketball?
One is shooting a ball into a net, the other is kicking a ball into a net and the theatrics and subterfuge of faking injuries. Sounds more complicated to me.

I think there's some merit to Brad not telling them what to do at first, but I hope they are flexible on that. I'd rather not watch a stream of frustrated people, especially Jeff.

Hindl

Yup and I'm off Friday to take delivery of my SNES classic. If it's as good as it looks, I may not play SNES....
Yeah not getting the SNES classic but if it gets great reviews then I'll get it immediately
HOLY SHIT, SERIOUSLY?
zwMRNJx.png

I think most of the good stuff gets lost in its colour palette tbh.

Just really drab environments. If Platinum has a weakness, it's definitely in level art.
Bayonetta 2 is pretty

Top Bottom