• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

So I was in the shower when I remembered another Disney movie I loved: Hercules! Gosh, I just loved the music and even though Meg isn't technically a princess, I always liked to think she was :D

whoa never knew we had a WNBA thread, lol awesome, Lauren Jackson > all players , dat aussie

speaking of sports, what are your favorite sports teams/ sports in general girl gaf? though i might assume some of you dont like sports, i'd say half of the forum doesn't like sports , some guys too.

Yackie

friskykillface said:
whoa never knew we had a WNBA thread, lol awesome, Lauren Jackson > all players , dat aussie

speaking of sports, what are your favorite sports teams/ sports in general girl gaf? though i might assume some of you dont like sports, i'd say half of the forum doesn't like sports , some guys too.

I actually love football. I've been playing in a fantasy league for the past 8 years. Favorite team is the Redskins.

Prax

friskykillface said:

I like hockey (Canadian), but I don't follow it seriously.
I just like watching and cheering for my awful team (Leafs) and whatever Canadian team manages to make the playoffs.

Kisaya

friskykillface said:

Soccer! The World Cup is my favorite tournament to watch :)

shanshan310 said:
girlgamer-girlgamer.jpg

Please tell me no-one got this tattoo...

Eww no. Just no.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't get why some girls make such a huge fuss about them being a "girl" gamer. Why not just be a gamer? Gamer first girl second!

friskykillface said:

Football! And while it pains me to say this but American women's team is way better than England's team. It was such a surprise to see them go down like that against Japan in FIFA, though. Wambach and Morgan are amazing!

ikkemenx

Inanna said:
I don't get why some girls make such a huge fuss about them being a "girl" gamer. Why not just be a gamer? Gamer first girl second!

Football! And while it pains me to say this but American women's team is way better than England's team. It was such a surprise to see them go down like that against Japan in FIFA.

That was an epic match. I was so glad Japan won. The nation is going through some tough times right now so it seems like a nice thing to be able to cheer about; sporting events can really bring people together.

Inanna said:
It's that whole "part of the boy's club" mentality. It's bizarre, but I know a lot of girls that thrive off of "being that only girl that [insert nerdy thing here]" in a group of people.

Prax

Inanna said:

Football! And while it pains me to say this but American women's team is way better than England's team. It was such a surprise to see them go down like that against Japan in FIFA, though. Wambach and Morgan are amazing!
I think it's just because people like feeling special and sticking out in some way.
But it is kind of stupid in a "Teehee, I am one of the guys but I'm a girl~!" kind of way.

Being a girl IS pretty awesome, but attaching it to a hobby and advertising it as a marker of pride goes into the realm of lame.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ikkemenx said:
That was an epic match. I was so glad Japan won. The nation is going through some tough times right now so it seems like a nice thing to be able to cheer about; sporting events can really bring people together.
Definitely, I was rooting for Japanese because I like rooting for the underdogs. :D Still was surprising considering USA had been consistently great throughout the tournament while Japan were above average.

ikkemenx

Prax said:
I think it's just because people like feeling special and sticking out in some way.
But it is kind of stupid in a "Teehee, I am one of the guys but I'm a girl~!" kind of way.

Being a girl IS pretty awesome, but attaching it to a hobby and advertising it as a marker of pride goes into the realm of lame.

Yeah it bugs me because it indirectly supports the idea of gaming never having been "for girls" in the first place. Like yeah, it's for boys really but except for me because I'm the GIRL-gamer. Or that because you're a girl it makes you a different kind of gamer or something. People love to create groups/labels and then self-identify within them, though. Just do what you wanna do, srsly.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Somebody needs to tell these girls that gaming isn't a "boys club" any more.

I also don't get girls that despise their own gender and say all women are nasty bitches (except them of course :|) and all men are loyal and caring when it comes to friendship. I am highly skeptical of women like that who cant get along with their own gender. Its a huge character red flag for me. I have friends of both genders and I have had bad experiences with both maybe more with male friends but I'm not going to write them all off just because I have had a few bad experiences in the past.

Inanna said:

I also don't get girls that despise their own gender and say all women are nasty bitches (except them of course :|) and all men are loyal and caring when it comes to friendship. I am highly skeptical of women like that who cant get along with their own gender. Its a huge character red flag for me. I have friends of both genders and I have had bad experiences with both maybe more with male friends but I'm not going to write them all off just because I have had a few bad experiences in the past.
When I was younger I felt like I understood boys better than I did girls, but as I got older that changed. Currently I still have more guy friends than girls, but that has more to do with being involved with the gaming industry as a whole. Girls that can't seem to maintain close friendships with other women are definitely missing out. There's a big difference between a guy and girl being friends vs being friends with someone of the same gender. I will never understand how the friendship between my boyfriend and a good friend of his worked. There was a weird loyalty there that I've never seen a guy have with a female friend. This is the same way with girls though. The friendship I have with a close girl friend will never be something I can recreate with a guy.

Prax

Inanna said:

I not so secretly think that girls that can't get along with their own gender and write off their own gender as terrible/bitchy... are probably very insecure and easily become jealous of other girls.. and probably have some entitlement issues as well.

I know some people like that.. one that in general hates other girls and also does not want a daughter and only sons, etc... It comes off to me as insecure and wanting all male attention devoted to her as the only girl or something. :l KIND OF WEIRD MAN.

Inanna said:
Can an analogy be made here with race? For example, what about white people who hate other white people, or black people who hate other black people?

Fetts_Jets said:
It's that whole "part of the boy's club" mentality. It's bizarre, but I know a lot of girls that thrive off of "being that only girl that [insert nerdy thing here]" in a group of people.
Reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons.

Lisa: What position have you got for me?
*everyone gasps*
Lisa: That's right, a girl wants to play football! How about that?
Flanders: Well that's super-duper, Lisa. We've already got four girls on the team.
Lisa: *clearly let down* You do?
Flanders: Uh-huh. But we'd love to have you on board!
Lisa: Well... football's not really my thing... after all... what kind of civilised person would play a game with the skin of an innocent pig?!
Flanders: Actually Lisa, these balls are synthetic.
Janey: And for every ball you buy, a dollar goes to Amnesty International!
Lisa: *tears start welling up* I've gotta go!

Kisaya

cooljeanius said:
Can an analogy be made here with race? For example, what about white people who hate other white people, or black people who hate other black people?

I really hate this especially. I understand maybe disliking your race's stereotype, but to just hate on your race as a whole is so stupid. Specifically when people wish they could change their race to another and thus hang out with only said race.

Inanna said:

This!

Girls like that get huffy when other girls are introduced to their guy group too because they see it as an alpha/only girl thing? People like that need a reality check tho and typically aren't taken seriously.

I have a girl that I am very close to... Been that way since highschool and some other not-so-close girlfriends, but honestly can name more dude friends than chick friends... But that is mostly based on circumstance. My bf and I share the same friends and he knows more guys than gals. When i was introduced, wasn't "my girlfriend," I was Lily and thus yhey really don't see me as someone's gf, but a fellow buddy. It makes me happeh.

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
I really hate this especially. I understand maybe disliking your race's stereotype, but to just hate on your race as a whole is so stupid. Specifically when people wish they could change their race to another and thus hang out with only said race.

For reals. If you actually have a problem with the way your particular race is portrayed by others or stereotyped, why not work to just be the best representative/example possible and help eliminate those ideas? Instead of chiming in and supporting those negative beliefs. Sigh

Fetts_Jets said:
When I was younger I felt like I understood boys better than I did girls, but as I got older that changed. Currently I still have more guy friends than girls, but that has more to do with being involved with the gaming industry as a whole. Girls that can't seem to maintain close friendships with other women are definitely missing out. There's a big difference between a guy and girl being friends vs being friends with someone of the same gender. I will never understand how the friendship between my boyfriend and a good friend of his worked. There was a weird loyalty there that I've never seen a guy have with a female friend. This is the same way with girls though. The friendship I have with a close girl friend will never be something I can recreate with a guy.

I completely agree. I can laugh and joke along with guys pretty damn well, but I don't think I could ever become as close with any of them as I can with my girlfriends. I think it's because I can be affectionate with my girlfriends without worrying about someone taking it the wrong way or being seen as a "tease" or whatever. I also feel like girls might be more sympathetic to my problems than guys will be.

ikkemenx

Kitsunebaby said:
I completely agree. I can laugh and joke along with guys pretty damn well, but I don't think I could ever become as close with any of them as I can with my girlfriends. I think it's because I can be affectionate with my girlfriends without worrying about someone taking it the wrong way or being seen as a "tease" or whatever. I also feel like girls might be more sympathetic to my problems than guys will be.

Yeah, I got to a certain point in high school where all my friends were guys (as it had been my whole life) just out of comfort/habit and general disinterest in girls (basically my method of choosing friends then was befriending anyone who liked the same games and stuff). I felt unhappy at times because they weren't sympathetic and didn't fulfil any of my more sentimental needs (hard to be serious with them, etc). Once I sort of opened up to just being friends with anyone I liked/got along with etc. I was much much happier.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Prax said:
I interpret this as: Yes. Faking an orgasm during intercourse is to end it faster. Ladies be getting bored.

Also on skinny jeans on guys:
Depends if you have the look that works with them and the kind of girl you want to be attracting.

What's with this turning into a "ask girls for advice about girls" thread? xD Dang it dudes, I am not sure I necessarily want to help you by bearing all our trade secrets!

You could also not reply if you don't want to answer.

I don't understand why that would upset you. I'm within the posting guidelines for the thread, I asked something I was curious about and explained my reasoning and opinion of the subject, it wasn't being condescending or cynical/trollish in nature and other people in this thread thought it was compelling enough to chime in with their opinion - maybe you didn't think it was a good question which is fine but others replied with insightful replies without the need to resort to cynicism like you did. What else would men talk to girls about that couldn't just be discussed in other threads about that specific topic? What exactly is and isn't okay with you? Unless you are just flat out saying that men shouldn't or can't post in this thread because it upsets you.

It seems like all these "community" threads on GAF are the same type of nonsense with a different title. Don't post unless you are "one of us." Why is it such a big problem if I want to ask a question to a specific group/community on NeoGAF in a thread about that group/community if I am within the posting guidelines for the forum and the specific thread? If you don't want men to post in a this thread then don't dither and dance around the subject and just make it a specific rule and make it clear that your agenda is to segregate the forum by sex/race/religion. If you side closer with the opinion that I should just start a thread about it if I want to address a specific group with a question, then maybe these race/sex/religion community threads shouldn't exist in the first place. I am fully of the belief that if someone wants to make their race/sex/religion or sexual preference or whatever an issue then they can do that by posting that information in their "about me" on their forum profile. I am against these "community" threads because the people in those communities clearly don't want people outside that community to post in those threads (why would they exist otherwise?) and if it takes me being banned or having this post censored/deleted or whatever for pointing out the hypocrisy and latent discriminatory nature of these types of threads then so be it.

Thanks for all the non-troll replies though.

Prax

B!TCH said:
You could also not reply if you don't want to answer.

I don't understand why that would upset you. I'm within the posting guidelines for the thread, I asked something I was curious about and explained my reasoning and opinion of the subject, it wasn't being condescending or cynical/trollish in nature and other people in this thread thought it was compelling enough to chime in with their opinion - maybe you didn't think it was a good question which is fine but others replied with insightful replies without the need to resort to cynicism like you did. What else would men talk to girls about that couldn't just be discussed in other threads about that specific topic? What exactly is and isn't okay with you? Unless you are just flat out saying that men shouldn't or can't post in this thread because it upsets you.

It seems like all these "community" threads on GAF are the same type of nonsense with a different title. Don't post unless you are "one of us." Why is it such a big problem if I want to ask a question to a specific group/community on NeoGAF in a thread about that group/community if I am within the posting guidelines for the forum and the specific thread? If you don't want men to post in a this thread then don't dither and dance around the subject and just make it a specific rule and make it clear that your agenda is to segregate the forum by sex/race/religion. If you side closer with the opinion that I should just start a thread about it if I want to address a specific group with a question, then maybe these race/sex/religion community threads shouldn't exist in the first place. I am fully of the belief that if someone wants to make their race/sex/religion or sexual preference or whatever an issue then they can do that by posting that information in their "about me" on their forum profile. I am against these "community" threads because the people in those communities clearly don't want people outside that community to post in those threads (why would they exist otherwise?) and if it takes me being banned or having this post censored/deleted or whatever for pointing out the hypocrisy and latent discriminatory nature of these types of threads then so be it.

Thanks for all the non-troll replies though.
BUT I FELT COMPELLED TO ANSWER. IT WOULD ONLY BE POLITE TO DO SO!

It just got weird and became more populated by boys trying to "figure out them mysterious girls" than girls discussing stuff with one another.
The LadyGAF advises ManGAF thread got made so all those similar and related questions could go there instead! Win-win for all involved.

Also. I love cynicism and sarcasm and what have you, but what I said was also reflective of my opinions. Girl probably got bored and wants to cut sex short without hurting the guy's ego. You're the one sounding upset or defensive over my awesomely concise answer!

Don't worry. We know you guys meant well. It just made the thread muddy.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i 100% agree with B!TCH that the segregation in some of these community threads is ridiculous, and i hope his post doesn't get deleted.

personally, i think that as long as you aren't being hateful/trolling and are adding to discussion you should be allowed to post whatever you like in any thread. if people reply, good for you. as for me, it's just as easy to ignore posts i don't feel like replying to.

ikkemenx

cloudwalking said:
i 100% agree with B!TCH that the segregation in some of these community threads is ridiculous, and i hope his post doesn't get deleted.

personally, i think that as long as you aren't being hateful/trolling and are adding to discussion you should be allowed to post whatever you like in any thread. if people reply, good for you. as for me, it's just as easy to ignore posts i don't feel like replying to.

I feel like GirlGAF was being very accepting of the guys though, it was sort of the strict moderation that made things weird.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
ikkemenx said:
I feel like GirlGAF was being very accepting of the guys though, it was sort of the strict moderation that made things weird.

yeah... i get the idea of the thread and i'm glad the mods have an eye on it, but it should be more laid back!

i don't care who comes in this thread, man, woman, animal, klingon, i'm only replying to the posts i feel are worth my time either way :p same as i would do in any other thread!

Londa

Banned
I'm half and half. Why is it that the males can only resort to asking why females do what they do instead of just joining in on the current discussion? Not all women act/think the same. Also for relationship advice there is a girlage thread. I guess I'm tired of all these threads being focused on relationship advice.

But that's just me.

I don't mind the questions because I'd rather they be asked then people outright assuming shit about how I feel because I'm a woman. The fact that they want insight into X from each of us should be taken more as a compliment, at least to me, then "omfg another dude is in here asking questions."

There are things I ask of men all of the time simply because I don't have that perspective. I don't think guys are looking to lump us together, I think they just want to know our feelings about certain things because they know our perspectives can be different. Anyway long story short I'd rather be asked my opinion then have it dictated to me, and the fact that some guys are interested in it seems cool. So I like most of the questions, as long as they're not insulting (haven't seen any yet btw, just sayin'), and would gladly answer what I can.

cloudwalking said:
yeah... i get the idea of the thread and i'm glad the mods have an eye on it, but it should be more laid back!

i don't care who comes in this thread, man, woman, animal, klingon, i'm only replying to the posts i feel are worth my time either way :p same as i would do in any other thread!

I agree with most of this. Except I'd rather be dead than have to talk to a no good stinking klingon.

Londa changed her avatar, now I can barely recognize her.
cloudwalking said:

And Digimon too, right?

...Right? :(

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm all for guys coming in here and participating, but at the start of this topic we had a few guys trolling hard and asking questions just to get people mad or react to their moronic posts. I also don't really like asnwering dear abbey type of questions, either. Why girls do the things they do? Why are they so complicated, oh god whyyy? I don't have a clue, man! I can't possibly speak for all the women out there, everybody is different. I didn't mind that though, I only really have a problem with trolls.

yuna55

Thanks for making the separate thread for relationship advice for guys. Every time an abundance of women get together on the interwebs, a much larger abundance of men get together to either 1) OH YEA GIRLS YEA! or 2) I'm a REALLY nice guy but I can't meet/meat a girl - why are you all so mean?!!? And halfway through helping them, you realize they probably won't listen to your advice anyway, god love em.

Edit: With that said, I don't mind guys in girl-threads as long as they don't turn it into an all-about-me thread of trolling or girl-problems.

I just beat my record on Wii Fit for 10 min hula hoop while browsing GAF and Amazon for spice containers. Talk a Frankenstein of gender stereotypes.

Inanna said:
I'm all for guys coming in here and participating, but at the start of this topic we had a few guys trolling hard and asking questions just to get people mad or react to their moronic posts. I also don't really like asnwering dear abbey type of questions, either. Why girls do the things they do? Why are they so complicated, oh god whyyy? I don't have a clue, man! I can't possibly speak for all the women out there, everybody is different. I didn't mind that though, I only really have a problem with trolls.

I totally agree. I think questions of a relationship nature should just stay out, but like Plywood asking us about who we consider to be good female characters, stuff like that, I think can be in here without issue.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
lennedsay said:
Thanks for making the separate thread for relationship advice for guys. Every time an abundance of women get together on the interwebs, a much larger abundance of men get together to either 1) OH YEA GIRLS YEA! or 2) I'm a REALLY nice guy but I can't meet/meat a girl - why are you all so mean?!!? And halfway through helping them, you realize they probably won't listen to your advice anyway, god love em
Seriously, look at all the girl-age topics. A lot of people give the topic creator good advice but what do they end up doing? They ignore all the great advice and do whatever they want to do or were going to do before they created the topic. I used to give advice myself but got fed up with OP almost always screwing it up for themselves.

And I also hate the, "OMG girls!!" or there aren't any girls or 0.001 girls on GAF thing as well.

Devolution said:
I totally agree. I think questions of a relationship nature should just stay out, but like Plywood asking us about who we consider to be good female characters, stuff like that, I think can be in here without issue.
Oh yeah, I don't have a problem with those type of questions either.

yuna55

Inanna said:
Seriously, look at all the girl-age topics. A lot of people give the topic creator good advice but what do they end up doing? They ignore all the great advice and do whatever they want to do or were going to do before they created the topic. I used to give advice myself but got fed up with OP almost always screwing it up for themselves.

And I also hate the, "OMG girls!!" or there aren't any girls or 0.001 girls on GAF thing as well.
Yes, this! It's almost never "girl-problems" as it is "OP problems." Will they ever get to that point where they step back and realize they have the exact same problem with every girl they meet and date, and maybe that means it's not a problem of those girls or all girls collectively - maybe it's their own problem?

You can't tell people that though, so why bother. I mean you can, but they won't listen because they don't want to hear it and they don't want to change. They'd rather live in some delusional state of being where everyone they date strives to ruin their life or something completely overly dramatic.

Many girls do the same thing too. Not just a guy-thing.

lennedsay said:
Yes, this! It's almost never "girl-problems" as it is "OP problems." Will they ever get to that point where they step back and realize they have the exact same problem with every girl they meet and date, and maybe that means it's not a problem of those girls or all girls collectively - maybe it's their own problem?

You can't tell people that though, so why bother. I mean you can, but they won't listen because they don't want to hear it and they don't want to change. They'd rather live in some delusional state of being where everyone they date strives to ruin their life or something completely overly dramatic.

Many girls do the same thing too. Not just a guy-thing.

A lot of people just want to circlejerk about men or women being the fucking problem, I tell even my best of friends, "I think it's you." Or they date a specific kind of person (read: douchebags) and wonder why it doesn't work out.

Prax

lennedsay said:
Thanks for making the separate thread for relationship advice for guys. Every time an abundance of women get together on the interwebs, a much larger abundance of men get together to either 1) OH YEA GIRLS YEA! or 2) I'm a REALLY nice guy but I can't meet/meat a girl - why are you all so mean?!!? And halfway through helping them, you realize they probably won't listen to your advice anyway, god love em.

Edit: With that said, I don't mind guys in girl-threads as long as they don't turn it into an all-about-me thread of trolling or girl-problems.

I just beat my record on Wii Fit for 10 min hula hoop while browsing GAF and Amazon for spice containers. Talk a Frankenstein of gender stereotypes.

I feel so guilty.
All I want to do with my Wii Fit these days if I turn it on is play the marble game. >_>
I AM PRETTY GOOD THOUGH!

And I was fine with answering questions relating to girl characters and stuff in general. Just didn't want to deal with guys trying to land a girl in this thread. I mean.. come on.. enough of that already! So many Girl-Age, and dating-age topics out there! I don't think they will get a one-up just by having a larger girl audience to get answers from, as if one of the girls will give them the right magical answer to landing the girl of their dreams... :l

Londa

Banned
Prax said:
I feel so guilty.
All I want to do with my Wii Fit these days if I turn it on is play the marble game. >_>
I AM PRETTY GOOD THOUGH!

And I was fine with answering questions relating to girl characters and stuff in general. Just didn't want to deal with guys trying to land a girl in this thread. I mean.. come on.. enough of that already! So many Girl-Age, and dating-age topics out there! I don't think they will get a one-up just by having a larger girl audience to get answers from, as if one of the girls will give them the right magical answer to landing the girl of their dreams... :l
That is pretty much how I feel. Whenever a girl-age question comes up I just don't respond and read over it.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I can't decide between Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3. :( I'm already getting Dark Souls early next month, and I can't justify spending money on 3 games in a month! Might have to push Batman till November AFTER I get Uncharted 3 because my guy really wants Battlefield 3 especially after seeing those jawdropingly awesome jet gameplay. Going to be really busy gaming next few months! :D

Inanna said:
I can't decide between Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3. :( I'm already getting Dark Souls early next month, and I can't justify spending money on 3 games in a month! Might have to push Batman till November AFTER I get Uncharted 3 because my guy really wants Battlefield 3 especially after seeing those jawdropingly awesome jet gameplay. Going to be really busy gaming next few months! :D

No Skyrim?

Londa

Banned
Inanna said:
I'm trying to pick between the new Batman and Uncharted 3

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion so didn't really pay much attention to Skyrim, don't tempt me though, already have more games than I can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom