• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AgentWhiskers said:
Just out of curiosity and excuse me if this has already been asked but are there any moms on GAF? I ask because I'm always seeing fathers on GAF but never mothers. Where mom-GAF at?

I don't have any kids but can we have baby-crazy-GAF? XP Waiting to finish law school first...

cooljeanius said:
Do you have a father planned for said baby? If so, how does he feel about it?

I'm married! ;D (whattup modus <3) He wants to wait way longer than I do, though D: All my Arab friends are popping out their 2nd and 3rd babies and I'm on zero. Omgggg~ I mean I don't want to have like, 500 kids like the rest of my people, but I'd like to do it sooner rather than later :p

SouSouRocket said:
I'm married! ;D (whattup modus <3) He wants to wait way longer than I do, though D: All my Arab friends are popping out their 2nd and 3rd babies and I'm on zero. Omgggg~ I mean I don't want to have like, 500 kids like the rest of my people, but I'd like to do it sooner rather than later :p

If you weren't married I say you were the scariest breed of female out there. Girls who want kids but don't have a longterm partner scare the shit out of me. That's just an impulse I don't have AT ALL (kids that is), and some of the looks I get when I say that are rather amusing. Thank god I have a gf who feels the same way.

Good luck to you though. Don't do it in law school. I know someone doing it now and it just seems brutal.

brucewaynegretzky said:
If you weren't married I say you were the scariest breed of female out there. Girls who want kids but don't have a longterm partner scare the shit out of me. That's just an impulse I don't have AT ALL (kids that is), and some of the looks I get when I say that are rather amusing. Thank god I have a gf who feels the same way.

Good luck to you though. Don't do it in law school. I know someone doing it now and it just seems brutal.

I can hardly get out of bed some mornings for school without a baby, I know there's no way I could do it and juggle school. But why can't a woman want to have a baby even if she doesn't have a partner? It's a lifetime dream, it doesn't go away when you're single. It's bad when you take it too far and want to have a baby at all costs, but it's a little unfair to be horrified that someone wants to have a kid. You can be horrified if they are throwing themselves around all over the place trying to have a baby RIGHT THIS MINUTE, but otherwise I don't think it should be such a big deal :p

SouSouRocket said:
I can hardly get out of bed some mornings for school without a baby, I know there's no way I could do it and juggle school. But why can't a woman want to have a baby even if she doesn't have a partner? It's a lifetime dream, it doesn't go away when you're single. It's bad when you take it too far and want to have a baby at all costs, but it's a little unfair to be horrified that someone wants to have a kid. You can be horrified if they are throwing themselves around all over the place trying to have a baby RIGHT THIS MINUTE, but otherwise I don't think it should be such a big deal :p

This is more what I'm talking about. It comes off as a scary obsession often. I'm not trying to knock people not in a relationship, but when dating starts to look like a hunt it gets scary.

EDIT: Also, me being a little weirded out by kids is FAR kinder than the reaction I get from a small subset of people who look at me as a sociopath for not wanting kids.

brucewaynegretzky said:
This is more what I'm talking about. It comes off as a scary obsession often. I'm not trying to knock people not in a relationship, but when dating starts to look like a hunt it gets scary.
Yeah, I remember my mom once told me about a guy she dated who told her on their very first date that he wanted to get married and have kids. She was pretty creeped out by him, and needless to say, I don't think he got a second date.

SouSouRocket said:

I think what brucewaynegretzky is trying to say is that deciding to have a child is a decision two people make, unless alternative methods are used of course, and it isn't fair to a guy if a girl gets pregnant intentionally, when he didn't agree to it.

Of course we would need to discuss the idea that he wasn't being all that responsible in the first place, but deception can also come into play.

brucewaynegretzky said:
EDIT: Also, me being a little weirded out by kids is FAR kinder than the reaction I get from a small subset of people who look at me as a sociopath for not wanting kids.
It's very disturbing that the expectacy is for all girls to want children at some point in their lives.

I used to get the insistance from collegues/friends that when I reach my late 20s i'll change my mind. Well, I'm 27 now and STILL don't want children. Now their reason is that I 'haven't met the right man'... WHEN will they give up and realise I don't need a baby to make me happy?

Londa

Banned
I wouldn't let them get to me. Usually people like that are jealous they their freedom is gone because they have a child.

KungFuBill said:
It's very disturbing that the expectacy is for all girls to want children at some point in their lives.

I used to get the insistance from collegues/friends that when I reach my late 20s i'll change my mind. Well, I'm 27 now and STILL don't want children. Now their reason is that I 'haven't met the right man'... WHEN will they give up and realise I don't need a baby to make me happy?

I think part of the problem with that idea is that it has happened before, so there is enough anecdotal evidence to keep people with those feelings insisting that someday lightning will strike and you will decide you now want a child. I used to think that way when I was much younger and dumber, but I've realized since that if someone doesn't want a kid, you have no business trying to hound them into wanting one. There are too many people in this world already. Unfortunately, a lot of my friends that don't want kids would make really great parents :( and then you see people who have no business having children having 4 or 5 and not paying attention to any of them.

Aeana

shanshan310 said:
What kind of manga are you guys into? Generally I like the more shojo romance manga.
I like drama and romance stuff the most. However, I cannot stand shoujo manga anymore outside of a few exceptions like Fruits Basket - it is far too naive for me. I just facepalm after every page. I feel similarly about shounen manga, I really just can't take that "power of believing in yourself/friendship" stuff - although unlike shoujo, I never really could get into shounen outside of the original Dragon Ball. I love Urasawa's stuff like Pluto, Monster, etc., as well as stuff like Honey and Clover and Hourou Musuko. To be honest, the field has been pretty barren for me recently. I haven't really come across anything that holds my interest.

ronitoswife

Neo Member
AgentWhiskers said:
Just out of curiosity and excuse me if this has already been asked but are there any moms on GAF? I ask because I'm always seeing fathers on GAF but never mothers. Where mom-GAF at?

I'm a mom! Two beautiful boys and two great step kids!

Zoe

ronito said:
my wife's on here too though she's usually too busy to post. even if she did you wouldn't be able to guess who it was

ronitoswife
(Today, 12:25 PM)

Kisaya

SouSouRocket said:

I think I'll disappoint the Arab race and only have like 2-3 kids, hahaha.
And I will not name my son Mohammed, looooool.

Prax

I already picked out names for my future daughter and son. Is that wrong? >_>

Lyona and Nolas.

I only plan on 2 kids. 3 is the maximum. Then someone's getting snipped (not me).

ikkemenx

Prax said:

Lyona and Nolas.

I only plan on 2 kids. 3 is the maximum. Then someone's getting snipped (not me).

Nolas <3 If I have daughters I would like to name them Iris or Olive. If I have a son maybe Caelum? Or Will.

Kisaya

Prax said:

Lyona and Nolas.

Although I haven't really picked names yet, I kinda like Eli for a boy ;x

Prax

ikkemenx said:
Nolas <3 If I have daughters I would like to name them Iris or Olive. If I have a son maybe Caelum? Or Will.

Caelum & Will are adorable names (maybe because I made characters with those names and they are awesome. haha!).

I usually try to pick or make up names that don't have real meanings for characters.. and now my children will become the extension of that obsession. Too bad for them~!

On the topic of names.. wondering what to do about last names when it comes to the kids. I know I'm keeping my last name, but it's considered traditional for the kids to inherit their father's last name, right? I am not all about the traditional, but I don't want hyphenated or combined last names for the kids either.

How stupid or great will it be to want my daughters to have my last name and my sons to have their father's last name? >_> (or.. vice versa! But I like the first idea better). Not that future husband or any of our family members would agree with how great this is, but I am full of ambition!

Kisaya

Prax said:
Caelum & Will are adorable names (maybe because I made characters with those names and they are awesome. haha!).

I usually try to pick or make up names that don't have real meanings for characters.. and now my children will become the extension of that obsession. Too bad for them~!

On the topic of names.. wondering what to do about last names when it comes to the kids. I know I'm keeping my last name, but it's considered traditional for the kids to inherit their father's last name, right? I am not all about the traditional, but I don't want hyphenated or combined last names for the kids either.

How stupid or great will it be to want my daughters to have my last name and my sons to have their father's last name? >_> (or.. vice versa! But I like the first idea better). Not that future husband or any of our family members would agree with how great this this, but I am full of ambition!

I don't really like my last name, but even if I dislike my husband's I think I rather just go the traditional route and let them take his.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
SouSouRocket said:
Tell me about it. I have 2 brothers and 3 sisters but like hundreds of cousins.

ronitoswife said:
I'm a mom! Two beautiful boys and two great step kids!
Awesome! I feel like I just spotted a unicorn. Excuse me while I bask.

Kisaya

Professor Beef said:
"Muhammed is the most commonly used name on Earth."

I have like 20+ Mohammeds in my family lol
Surprisingly my parent's didn't name my brothers that. Sharif (which is common too) and Sam.

VariantX04

kisaya said:
I have like 20+ Mohammeds in my family lol
Surprisingly my parent's didn't name my brothers that. Sharif (which is common too) and Sam.
My name is Essam (Saudi Arabian) but I tell people my name is Sam to ease the pronunciation and to make myself look more like a heathen from the west.

Kisaya

AgentWhiskers said:
My name is Essam (Saudi Arabian) but I tell people my name is Sam to ease the pronunciation and to make myself look more like a heathen from the west.

I actually like the same Essam, doesn't seem that hard to pronounce but I'm not one to talk hahah. For my brother he was named after my uncle Sami but they just wrote it down as Sam when he was born, go figureee.

VariantX04

kisaya said:
I actually like the same Essam, doesn't seem that hard to pronounce but I'm not one to talk hahah. For my brother he was named after my uncle Sami but they just wrote it down as Sam when he was born, go figureee.
People tend to always forget my name when I tell them it's Essam. :(

DJ_XMX

Guy here! :D I have a question regarding having babys/kids like why do most women go in " I need to have one NOW" when they reach the end of there 20's..at least where I live LOL... is it like maternal instinct or something? Girl Gaf wat age would you want or expect to have kids?

p.s hope the question is ok with girl gaf :)

Kisaya

DJ_XMX said:
Guy here! :D I have a question regarding having babys/kids like why do most women go in " I need to have one NOW" when they reach the end of there 20's..at least where I live LOL... is it like maternal instinct or something? Girl Gaf wat age would you want or expect to have kids?

Not too young, but before 30. Guess I fit with the stereotype :(

DJ_XMX

kisaya said:
Not too young, but before 30. Guess I fit with the stereotype :(

Guess you can move over to where I live ... ud fit in perfectly LOL :) to be honest I hoped I had some of my own by now... but unfortunately not happened lolol hmm.. atleast that am aware of... lol jk :)

cloudwalking said:
oh man i totally want to change my username to "jaroshswife" now.
No way, you need to have Jarosh change his username to "cloudwalkingshusband."
...on second though, that's really long, so just keep both of your usernames.

I had no idea there were so many couples on GAF. You learn something new every day!

Remember, when picking names for your kids, the most important thing to consider is all the different ways each name could be mocked by your kid's classmates. For example, please don't name your kid "Richard." I remember I used to want to call my kid Arphaxhad if it was a boy, and Aurelia if it was a girl, but now I realize I was mostly just being silly (at least with Arphaxhad). Also, re: who takes which name after marriage: I wouldn't mind taking my wife's name after marriage, provided she has a nicer last name than I do. All throughout school people would always call me just by my last name (Gallager), and I've gotten kind of tired of it.

Londa

Banned
Typographenia said:
No way, you need to have Jarosh change his username to "cloudwalkingshusband."
...on second though, that's really long, so just keep both of your usernames.

I had no idea there were so many couples on GAF. You learn something new every day!
Is there a gaf couple list? That kind of makes me laugh because there just might be a list like that.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
DJ_XMX said:

I am 25 years old so I still have a few years left. I definitely do want a kid before I turn 30. Why? Because I don't want to be an old frail lady when my kid is growing up, and I think 30 is a perfect age for having a kid.

cooljeanius said:
Remember, when picking names for your kids, the most important thing to consider is all the different ways each name could be mocked by your kid's classmates. For example, please don't name your kid "Richard." I remember I used to want to call my kid Arphaxhad if it was a boy, and Aurelia if it was a girl, but now I realize I was mostly just being silly (at least with Arphaxhad). Also, re: who takes which name after marriage: I wouldn't mind taking my wife's name after marriage, provided she has a nicer last name than I do. All throughout school people would always call me just by my last name (Gallager), and I've gotten kind of tired of it.
Is changing your name after marriage really that important? I won't be changing mine and our kids would probably be using both our surnames. My eldest sister changed hers and she's had nothing but problems ever since. Unlike me she already had an established career, had a big house, cars, multiple bank accounts etc before she got married and getting her name changed on everything took way too much effort, money and time. Its not because of that though, I never wanted to change my last name anyway.

rataven

DJ_XMX said:

It's all in the timing; women have a smaller window for the opportunity to have children. Late 20s/early 30s is probably when the clock faintly starts to tick for some.

Personally, I'm 32 and haven't had kids yet. I did the career thing first. Wanted to be sure I could provide comfortably for myself and a family. Now that I'm nicely established in said career, I'm shifting focus a little. But there's still no rush. Many couples wait until later, and I have quite a few friends in their mid to late 30s who are just getting started.

DJ_XMX

Inanna said:
I am 25 years old so I still have a few years left. I definitely do want a kid before I turn 30. Why? Because I don't want to be an old frail lady when my kid is growing up, and I think 30 is a perfect age for having a kid.

Is changing your name after marriage really that important? I won't be changing mine and our kids would probably be using both our surnames. My eldest sister changed hers and she's had nothing but problems ever since. Unlike me she already had an established career, had a big house, cars, multiple bank accounts etc before she got married and getting her name changed on everything took way too much effort, money and time. Its not because of that though, I never wanted to change my last name anyway.

Yeah but in general we last longer than our older generation and seem to stay young atleast in my case am 27 lolol but get confused to be much much younger... in morrison supermarket I got told if my I.D was forged when I went to buy some alcohol haha! so Id assume that kids would be delayed. My ex had kids at 19 .. LOLOL around here we get alot of teens with kids " single teen moms" lolol

AgentWhiskers said:
People tend to always forget my name when I tell them it's Essam. :(
How? It sounds like "It's Sam" to me.
cooljeanius said:
Remember, when picking names for your kids, the most important thing to consider is all the different ways each name could be mocked by your kid's classmates. For example, please don't name your kid "Richard." I remember I used to want to call my kid Arphaxhad if it was a boy, and Aurelia if it was a girl, but now I realize I was mostly just being silly (at least with Arphaxhad).
Marge: Homer, I've been thinking, if the baby's a boy, what do you think of the name Larry?
Homer: Marge, we can't do that! All the kids will call him 'Larry Fairy.'
Marge: Well, how about Louie?
Homer: They'll call him 'Screwy Louie'.
Marge: Bob?
Homer: 'Slob'
Marge: Luke?
Homer: 'Puke.'
Marge: Marcus?
Homer: 'Mucus.'
Marge: What about Bart?
Homer: Let's see... Bart, Cart, Dart, Ee-art...nope, can't see any problem with that!

Professor Beef said:
Marge: Homer, I've been thinking, if the baby's a boy, what do you think of the name Larry?
Homer: Marge, we can't do that! All the kids will call him 'Larry Fairy.'
Marge: Well, how about Louie?
Homer: They'll call him 'Screwy Louie'.
Marge: Bob?
Homer: 'Slob'
Marge: Luke?
Homer: 'Puke.'
Marge: Marcus?
Homer: 'Mucus.'
Marge: What about Bart?
Homer: Let's see... Bart, Cart, Dart, Ee-art...nope, can't see any problem with that!
And of course the joke is he stopped right before he got to "F"

cooljeanius said:
All throughout school people would always call me just by my last name (Gallager), and I've gotten kind of tired of it.
Yeah mostly people know me by name last name too (Khan). Yeah yeah, star trek and all. But I like it because it's easier to remember and gives nerds opportunity to use star trek references.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
DJ_XMX said:
Yeah but in general we last longer than our older generation and seem to stay young atleast in my case am 27 lolol but get confused to be much much younger... in morrison supermarket I got told if my I.D was forged when I went to buy some alcohol haha! so Id assume that kids would be delayed. My ex had kids at 19 .. LOLOL around here we get alot of teens with kids " single teen moms" lolol
Oh tell me about it. A lot of people encourage their teen daughters to go out there and pregnant just so they can get a bigger house and money from the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom