• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gnomoria |OT| of playing Dwarf Fortress "Lite" in isometric 2D with mouse input

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just sent the email.

There are completed items in the stations, they've been sitting there for a while, but no gnomes have moved them.

I've had this happen before and it did turn out to be completed items sitting in the station that had to be moved, and moved they were. But this time around the items have been sitting for a long while.

jqzOm.jpg

:)

The problem was that you had the food stockpile on priority 3. You only should prioritize something for a short amount, or if its not done consistently. In your savegame they were simply too busy making food to do anything else.

You had your workshops on priority 1, but since their goods were already produced, that didnt matter. You needed a stockpile that takes those goods at a higher priority than 3 (or turn back your food stockpile priority to 5, which is what I did here). The workshop priority is only for producing the goods, not for carrying them into stockpiles from the workshop.

A good example of a continuosly high priority setting would be something that is only being build when you need it. Say for example the carpenter. The dwarf wont build it unless you make planks, which dont spawn "randomly". But as soon as you make planks, your Dwarf will get to making new crafts asap. Putting a high priority on food stockpiling for an unending amount of time is a bit of a bad idea, though :p

Edit: You dont need to build the extra stockpile of course. That was just for the sake of having a smaller screenshot, heh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I really need to get stuck in to this as I've barely touched it, but enjoy looking at all the screenshots and the information here and there is helping my partner continue with her own fort.

At the moment she is building inside the mountain, both up and down on several levels, and is contemplating on restarting in normal mode.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really need to get stuck in to this as I've barely touched it, but enjoy looking at all the screenshots and the information here and there is helping my partner continue with her own fort.

At the moment she is building inside the mountain, both up and down on several levels, and is contemplating on restarting in normal mode.

Probably doesnt hurt to know how to make weapons/traps in case she hasnt yet. Monsters can be quite a tad annoying. Has anyone build a trap yet? lol, stupid question but I simply hope that those parts you can create for traps actually can be build together as a trap.

Can anyone who build one tell me what you need for it? And how the trap then works?

I also faintly remember she had issues with her well? Did she get that sorted out? Not that its super important when you have a destillery set up, but probably not bad to know either.

cametall

The problem was that you had the food stockpile on priority 3. You only should prioritize something for a short amount, or if its not done consistently. In your savegame they were simply too busy making food to do anything else.

You had your workshops on priority 1, but since their goods were already produced, that didnt matter. You needed a stockpile that takes those goods at a higher priority than 3 (or turn back your food stockpile priority to 5, which is what I did here). The workshop priority is only for producing the goods, not for carrying them into stockpiles from the workshop.

A good example of a continuosly high priority setting would be something that is only being build when you need it. Say for example the carpenter. The dwarf wont build it unless you make planks, which dont spawn "randomly". But as soon as you make planks, your Dwarf will get to making new crafts asap. Putting a high priority on food stockpiling for an unending amount of time is a bit of a bad idea, though :p

Edit: You dont need to build the extra stockpile of course. That was just for the sake of having a smaller screenshot, heh.

OK, I see. I didn't realize moving the item from the station to the stockpile was prioritized by the stockpile. I thought after the crafter was done they would move it to a stockpile automatically.

Thanks Toma!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, I guess I'm going to stop playing until it actually releases. I have a game where, if I try to save it, it crashes. So basically I can't play it anymore with that world. Put quite a few hours into that world too....

Toma

Well, I guess I'm going to stop playing until it actually releases. I have a game where, if I try to save it, it crashes. So basically I can't play it anymore with that world. Put quite a few hours into that world too....
Aw, sucks =( I was hoping that those bugs wouldnt happen anymore.Someone build a save backup tool to revert to an older save in case the save has gone bad. Too late for you now though =(

cametall

So I have finally decided to board my dirt hill, I mean fortress, up!

Food has been a little shakey, my farm is just barely keeping up so I built a second starwberry farm.

This game got me to look a little more deeply into DF and watch a chunk of a 2 hour tutorial. Yeah... seems more intimidating than the moba genre for newbies.

Toma

So I have finally decided to board my dirt hill, I mean fortress, up!

Food has been a little shakey, my farm is just barely keeping up so I built a second starwberry farm.

This game got me to look a little more deeply into DF and watch a chunk of a 2 hour tutorial. Yeah... seems more intimidating than the moba genre for newbies.

The funny thing about DF is that its actually not that HARD. If you know how to do what you already do in Gnomoria, then you will easily survive a year or two without any issues. Considering the trouble I had with the goblins, I'd even say that Gnomoria is more unforgiving with their enemies.

Dont worry though, keep playing Gnomoria for a while :) You still have enough to discover I guess. Maybe DF will be more appealing at some point when you notice that you simply want more mechanics/possibilities. No shame either way though, I can easily see people preferring Gnomoria with the simple interface and neat graphics.

Toma

Went to download the demo.
Symantec popped up with a "malicious executable" warning.

Guess this will have to wait

The exe/demo is completely safe. Whats the word for it? False positive or something? I can guarantee you its safe. Besides, if your Symantec says its a "malicious executable" now, I doubt that is going to change. Heuristic messing up.

Toma

Ah, neat. Apparently we are not far from an update that fixes several issues.

RoboB0b said:
I was thinking of pushing an update today :D I thought I fixed an issue with squad members not eating but it wasn't fully working. Most likely, once that is fixed I'll get a build ready.

Apparently merchants not appearing is going to be fixed too. Wonder what else.

Toma

And 0.8.4 out!

General:
Hide mouse cursor while placing jobs
Designation placement uses the solid diamond tile
Mining uses an alternate wireframe tile with a more emphasized top
Bone, skull, pet rock, puzzle box, commemorative coin, statuette, ring and necklace can be stored in crates

Art:
Added a border to the solid color tile
Added an alternate wireframe tile for mining
Added chiseled wall/floor
Updated table
Changed birch color

Bug Fixes:
Crash on save with items inside containers
Crash on save after not dropping items that should have been dropped in combat
Crash on save after armor has been destroyed in combat
Crash on save with missing items still in the stocks
Crash when stocking items
Crash when pathing to a bed
Items sometimes not existing on the map
Squad members dropping food before eating when the uniform didn't have a hand set to "any"
Merchants not showing up after loading

Debugging save crashes are time consuming, so that's mostly where this last week and a half has gone :D I'm thinking about making Tuesday updates more regular than Fridays so that the weekend won't delay a Desura update. The changes to mining are sort of an experiment, so let me know if this helps the perspective problems or not :D

Not mindboggling content wise, but great to see that crash bugs are getting squashed.

Toma

One good aspect of the steam sale is that it makes the waiting for the next patch way less painful! :p

Glasswork

I just got the this game, it's rather fun so far but for some reason my laptop heats up really fast, I have no idea why....

Toma

I just got the this game, it's rather fun so far but for some reason my laptop heats up really fast, I have no idea why....

Sorry to hear :( Cant help with that either. My notebook barely uses anything to play it. You could try using different energy settings. I use for some games customized save power settings which will stop the notebook from going full turbo while still being enough for a game that doesnt need that much power.
On another note: Path 0.8.5.2 has been released:

v0.8.5.2
Bug Fixes:
Gnomes getting stuck continuously restocking

v0.8.5.1
Bug Fixes:
Restocking items when containers are added to stockpiles was including items already in containers

v0.8.5
General:
Optimizations for creating stock jobs (fixes performance problems with idle gnomes)
Cut clipping removes saplings
Trading with merchants no longer requires items to be brought to the merchant
Mine jobs select the top of the cell instead of the bottom
Added option in settings.ini to hide the mouse cursor when selecting. Default is off

Bug Fixes:
Gnomes favoring certain materials over others, ie stocking dirt before clay
Items not falling when digging ramp up
Gnomes not using bandages on severed limbs that were bleeding

Guess the biggest news is that the gnomes will finally properly take their bandages, and the change for the selling system.

Toma

Woo, finally some needed additions:

0.6.2 said:
General:
Designations can be extended
Reworked storage containers. Build storage on stockpiles to use.
Added keybinds for most actions
Added replace wall/floor action
Added button to delete saves
Added option to hide designations

Art:
Added raw ore, raw gem, pet rock, gear, spring, hatch, spike trap, battle axe, warhammer, leather armor
Added alternate hand version for all 1 hand weapons
Updated cut gem, metal helmet

Bug Fixes:
Eggs weren't stored in anything. They are stored in crates now.

I decided to switch it up a little and get some of the more requested things in instead of focusing on bugs this patch. I was planning on having a little more in but I had to replace my HDD and lost some time reinstalling Windows and all that.

To extend a designation, just overlap one when creating a new one. For example, if you want to extend your pasture, go to create pasture and then make sure the new area overlaps the one you want to extend.

Since there are so many actions, none of them are bound by default. You can just go into options and bind the ones you would like to use :D

I'm trying out this storage change. It might take a little getting used to, so give it a little bit before deciding. Gnomes will no longer stock any storage containers (with the exception of dirt/stone piles). Storage containers are now in the build menu and they can only be built over stockpiles. They deconstruct if the stockpile is removed. When loading a save from before 0.8.6, it will attempt to construct any container that is already in a stockpile.

I guess the big news for me are the keybinds and that you can finally designate storage containers to be used on a stockpile! Wooo!

The designations thing is handy, and the save world from within the game-button was direly missing too. Nice little update! :)

Woo, finally some needed additions:

I guess the big news for me are the keybinds and that you can finally designate storage containers to be used on a stockpile! Wooo!

The designations thing is handy, and the save world from within the game-button was direly missing too. Nice little update! :)

The overlapping sounds GREAT.

Toma

0.8.7 out:

Version 0.8.7
General:
Added an action bar

Art:
Updated water, lava, fiber and rotated statue
Added claymore, clipping and puzzle box

Bug Fixes:
Crash on load with unbutchered corpses
Crash on load with held items
Crash when mining ramp up after the floor above has been dug out
Removing ramps not updating the navigation graph immediately
Attempting to find a path to under water items
Repair broken navigation graph when detected while pathing
Conflict with hot keys with the same key but different modifiers

The action bar is probably temporary, but I wanted to leave it in for you guys to see. It was partially implemented before, and now that it's working, I think it needs to work differently. Most likely it'll get updated to be customizable, with a few bars to cycle through. Instead of leaving it out in the mean time, I just threw it in with an option to turn it off in gameplay options.

A few minor items and more crash fixes this time around.

Toma

A very interesting post by the dev about which combat changes he wants to implement:

While Gnomoria is not exactly bug free, I think it's time to start adding in some new content along with the bug fixes and other changes.

For the next few updates, I'm going to focus on combat related changes. I'll try to stick to the roughly once a week updates, but some changes might require some more time.

Ranged Combat - Guns. First pass on this will not use ammo. I'm going to play test it and also see what the general consensus is on whether managing ammo will be interesting or just frustrating.

Military Tactics - I'm still working out some details here, but there will be more customization options for the formation and position parts of a squad.

Training Grounds/Shooting Range - These are built like workshops. Select a squad, and they will train to increase combat skills. Training Grounds is for melee combat and Shooting Range is for training ranged weapon skills.

Healing - There was a bug with using bandages that was fixed, but I see a lot of posts about gnomes not healing still, so I'll look into it. Currently, body parts can be "destroyed" as well as "severed" but there isn't really any feedback for destroyed parts. Gnomes will be unable to pick up items or walk but it looks like a bug because the limbs aren't missing. The health tab needs some updates, but I'm going to add in more ways to heal. To start, I will probably have it so that bandages repair destroyed body parts. Eventually, there will instead be a hospital for this kind of healing and a doctor skill to work the hospital and take care of gnomes that can't heal or feed themselves. Also, I'm going to add prosthetic mechanical limbs. Hospitals and prosthetics most likely won't be added right away.

Balance - Combat in general is a little too random. I'm going to be making some adjusts to help and take a look at combat formulas and values.

UI and usability - Announcements for discovering enemies with the option to autopause. The combat logs are going to get cleaned up. For uniforms, the "any" option for hands will choose weapons based on individual gnome weapon skills. The "any" option for materials for weapons and armor will pick the best material suited for combat. There are some fixes for the health UI as well.

Enemies - The enemy strength based on worth value will probably be adjusted a little. I'm also going to take a look at subterranean enemy spawns. I might add wild animal spawns back in. Wild animal behavior is to avoid gnomes, but they will attack if cornered. Goblins are currently missing bronze and will start to show up in between copper and iron. Doors will block enemies and can be destroyed. I'm considering adding in goblin spawns that include supplies so they won't die of thirst/hunger. I'm also considering adding goblin miners to some spawns.

Some things I'm thinking about but might not be added (or not added right away):

Squad management - Shifts for military stations (guard area and patrol route), so that squads can take a break to sleep/eat and are less likely to be separated while on duty. Assigning a squad to defend duty or adding defend as a formation option. A defending squad will engage any enemies that are in combat with your gnomes or livestock.
Alarm bell - This would be a construction that alerts squads to danger.
Hospitals - Doctors and hospitals for healing more critical wounds and healing gnomes who can't heal themselves.
Automatons - Craftable automatons that can be added to squads. Requires tinkering to unlock and mechanics to repair.

Not related to combat, but I plan on adjusting the build jobs a little. I'm going to change it so that building components are tied to the job instead of the gnome. Previously if a gnome goes to sleep or eat/drink while in the middle of the build job, it's possible that another gnome will restock those items. With this change, build progress won't be lost, but those items will be tied up until the job is completed or canceled.

Toma

v0.8.8 update:

Version 0.8.8
General:
Training Grounds - Workshop that can have a stationed squad. Squad members will take turns sparring to train combat skills.
When "any" is chosen in uniforms, gnomes will find the best available. If two weapons are of the same tier of metal, gnomes will pick the one they have higher skill with
Added "any two-hand" option for weapons in the uniform
Notification for spotted enemies with option to automatically pause and move

Art:
Added blade trap tiles
Updated spike trap to animate

Bug Fixes:
Crash in workshop queue when pressing "Cancel" and then immediately pressing "Move Up" or "Move Down"
Crash in workshop queue when moving a job after the current workshop job has been suspended due to inaccessible components
Patrol Routes not loading properly
Not dropping non-weapon items when combat ends if the uniform has "any" weapon selected
Two-handed weapons not dropping properly
Torches being counted in every category in the stock totals overview UI
Some constructions being subtracted twice from total construction worth

Woo, the training area is amazing + the auto pause when enemies appear too.

v0.8.8 update:

Woo, the training area is amazing + the auto pause when enemies appear too.

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm glad I have the game. These updates seem to be going in a great direction, so once I *do* jump on, I'll have something cool to look forward to. Glad to help fund developers.

Toma

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm glad I have the game. These updates seem to be going in a great direction, so once I *do* jump on, I'll have something cool to look forward to. Glad to help fund developers.

Yep, I am pretty fine with how the dev is handling the dev process atm too. Too bad that most people wont notice since barely anyone checks this thread now since its in community.

The post above the one you quoted is interesting too. Detailed information on the planned combat changes.

Toma

Toma thread bumping time, update 0.8.9.1 out:

Version 0.8.9.1
Fixed crash with stock manager. This fixes the out of bounds crash with the market stall, crafting and stockpiles

Version 0.8.9
General:

Added ranged weapons. Ranged weapons are unlocked through tinkering and require ammo and ammo containers to use. Weapon and ammo materials both factor into final damage. Weapons are crafted at the Engineer shop. Ammo can be crafted at Stonemason and Machine Shop. Ammo pouch is crafted at the Tailor and quiver is crafted at the Leatherworker.
Added clear and save buttons for combat logs
Added dropdown box to filter combat logs by currently active combat and by date

Bug Fixes:

Knockback stat and blunt damage stat not loading properly
Fixes for detecting stop and end of combat for combat logs
Sausages not being allowed in crates

Some people were having trouble loading games that had tons of combat logs. Logs more than 12 days old are discarded when loading. Also, some combat logs incorrectly were considered active. These are fixed when loading but will show up as being finished on the current day. So there may be a lot of logs when the most recent day is selected.

Saved combat logs are stored in the "CombatLogs" folder in your Gnomoria save directory. They are named by kingdom name and date. Entries are prefixed with a combat message type for those who want to parse the log for any reason.

Ranged Weapons! Now we can kill Goblins before they kill us! Wee!

Clevinger

I hope you keep posting updates. I don't want to play this until it's more fleshed out, but I'll probably forget all about it without my thread subscription.

Toma

I hope you keep posting updates. I don't want to play this until it's more fleshed out, but I'll probably forget all about it without my thread subscription.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad someone subbed it so the thread has its use, even in the community section. I'll also probably make a new thread when I think everyone should take another look once the game has considerably more content than on "Launch".

Toma

Version 0.8.10
General:
Added an option to toggle recording combat logs while training. Default is off
Idle gnome count doesn't include sleeping gnomes

Art:
Added training dummy sprite

Bug Fixes:
Crash when sparring ends if the gnome had a job before being assigned to the training ground
Items appearing on the map that can't be interacted with.
Gnomads and goblins spawning inside walls
Digging down into ore/gems/coal not properly udpating "outside" status
Gnomes carrying a single pistol getting stuck
Guard Areas becoming unassigned after loading
Constructed walls disappearing when "Replace Wall" command is used on them
Training ground squad positions not orienting with a rotated training ground
Action bar not properly moving on resolution change
Pistols drawing in the wrong hand
Stocked and carried armor using stone instead of armor sprites

I didn't get a chance to fix very many bugs in the last patch, so I wanted to catch up a little this week. The "ghost" items bug should be fixed now but old saves will still have the items that can't be interacted with.

For version 0.8.11, I'm going work on hospitals. Severed limbs will stay severed, but broken limbs can be healed at the hospital. There will also be a caretaker skill, so that gnomes without arms can be fed and bandaged by another gnome. Prosthetics will come later on and will require a hospital as well.

Just bug fixes, the biggest news today is what might be in next weeks patch: hospitals! The skill to heal other gnomes was direly needed.

Toma

I saw that yesterday. I made sure to vote for Gnomoria and Project Zomboid.

Funny, my first two votes too.

After that I went on a voting spree and voted for basically every game I managed to vote for in 20 minutes. I am not yet able to see problems with voting for everything. They are being decided on still anyway to check for fake games and most games seem to be worth a steam release.

Toma

Finally hospital areas!

v 0.8.11 said:
Hospital:
Designate hospital area
Build beds in hospitals for use by patients
Gnomes with the medic skill will treat patients with serious injuries or unable to heal themselves
Gnomes with the caretaker skill will feed others food and drink when they can't feed themselves

General:
Expanded the health information slightly to show injured and seriously injured body sections

Since this week was another "big" feature week, I didn't have time to fix bugs. Version 0.8.12 will be primarily another bug fix patch.

CzarTim

Even though this isnt yet as feature complete as DF, I have been enjoying it more due to being able to use a mouse and the intuitive interface. Can't wait to see where the game goes after some updates.

Toma

Great Bug/Fix Update today:

General:
Display dimensions of current selection
Tile info window updates while unpaused
Context menu stays up when the cursor is moved off
Build containers changed to a selection instead of single build
Gnomes prioritze jobs at workshop, farms, pastures and stockpiles by distance if they have the same priority
Save games are displayed in order by most recently saved
Added rain back in
Renamed oak to pine
Armor on corpses visually update as it is removed
Pillar -- Crafted at Stonecarver and placed like a statue

Art:
Updated chiseled floor tile

Fixed:
Replace wall over a constructed wall not properly updating the navigation graph
Bug that sometimes caused longer paths to be found
Mechanisms seemingly being linked after loading
Devices that have enough power not being powered after loading
Gnomes prefering items of a specific material over closest item
Rain sometimes going out of control
Hair/hats showing through helmets
"Fallen over" status not clearing after legs have been healed

Rain is back in! Also its probably important to note that gnomes now prioritize closer workshop if they have the same priority setting.

Toma

Yea I did..but I have other things to play atm like FTL..hehe

;) If you ever feel like diving into Gnomoria, feel free to shoot me a PM when you posted questions here.

CzarTim

I am almost done with Year 2 of my current play through (I stopped a few games because I didn't like my layout), and I feel like it's a tad bit easy. I have more food and drink than I possibly know what do to with. A 10 man army decked in great armor/weapons. Enough defenses that it doesn't matter. Almost done making my fortress completely metal in terms of wall/floor.

I'm still having a blast though. There's something seriously relaxing about the game. I can't wait to see all they add, but I do wish the threats were greater. Maybe I've played too much DF, but every time my line of traps kills another goblin, I go, "is that all you got?" :p

Willectro

Banned
I'm here from the FTL thread. Probably going to pick up Gnomoria tonight. Glad to see it's on Steam Greenlight. I'm assuming if I purchase it now, I'll be grandfathered in if it gets on Steam (not that it really matters)?

Toma

I'm here from the FTL thread. Probably going to pick up Gnomoria tonight. Glad to see it's on Steam Greenlight. I'm assuming if I purchase it now, I'll be grandfathered in if it gets on Steam (not that it really matters)?

Quote from the Steam Greenlight page:
UPDATE
I've been getting a lot of emails asking if you will receive a Steam key if you purchase the game before being available on Steam. I'm almost positive that the answer is yes. I haven't seen a statement from Valve, but I know games have done this before and I expect to be able to give out Steam keys if Gnomoria is available on Steam in the future

There is a demo btw, so feel free to try that before buying :)
And I really should link all my threads into a huge network of game threads :p Most attention this thread has gotten in weeks!

I am almost done with Year 2 of my current play through (I stopped a few games because I didn't like my layout), and I feel like it's a tad bit easy. I have more food and drink than I possibly know what do to with. A 10 man army decked in great armor/weapons. Enough defenses that it doesn't matter. Almost done making my fortress completely metal in terms of wall/floor.

I'm still having a blast though. There's something seriously relaxing about the game. I can't wait to see all they add, but I do wish the threats were greater. Maybe I've played too much DF, but every time my line of traps kills another goblin, I go, "is that all you got?" :p

Yeah, the dev mentioned that he needs to add more dangers/stronger enemies to the game. He felt like new elements to the fighting system (ranged weapons) and others were important before though (hospitals) so that he can actually balance it with the new systems in mind and doesnt need to worry about balancing those enemy encounters every week.
Super paraphrased.

Willectro

Banned
Quote from the Steam Greenlight page:

There is a demo btw, so feel free to try that before buying :)
And I really should link all my threads into a huge network of game threads :p Most attention this thread has gotten in weeks!

Thanks for the info and the OTs. I'm wondering if a lot of gamers are even aware that they may like this genre. I've played thousands of games over the last 18+ years and didn't think I would like roguelikes until I tried Dungeon Raid on iOS (not a great example). I enjoy that there is great depth in these games if you want there to be.

Toma

Thanks for the info and the OTs. I'm wondering if a lot of gamers are even aware that they may like this genre. I've played thousands of games over the last 18+ years and didn't think I would like roguelikes until I tried Dungeon Raid on iOS (not a great example). I enjoy that there is great depth in these games if you want there to be.

Gnomoria is not a roguelike though. Its more a simulation than anything else (if you were even referring to Gnomoria)

I agree though. Many people probably COULD like those genres they usually consider not their "type of game" if they gave it a proper try and the game had a proper introduction/tutorial. FTL did a great job with that.

Toma

D'awww.

Robob0b said:
Sorry everyone, but there won't be a patch today. I'm working on large changes again this patch and need some extra time to get everything together and test it. I think this patch will be worth the wait though :D

Ah well, looking forward to the major changes in next weeks patch then :)

Toma

Well, holy crap. In short: Squad update, long:

Today's update expands on the Formation and Position parts of a Squad. They may have seemed a bit useless or overly complicated before. The goal has always been to have options and give control to the player where possible and so these have been long planned but missing until now. This is just the first initial bunch and you can expect these to get tuned and more added over time.

All of the options for Formations and Positions can be turned on or off independently, meaning you can have any option turned on or off at any time.

Formation Options

Perform attack orders - Squads with this option enabled will attack enemies that you have ordered. (This is the default behavior and what squads did previously)
Defend gnomes - When an enemy has been spotted by a gnome, this squad will rush to their aid.
Avoid enemies - When an enemy is in line of sight, move away instead of towards it. If attacked, members of this squad will still defend themselves.

Position Options

Pursue lost targets - If line of sight to an enemy is lost, move towards their last known position. (This is the default and was the only option previously)
Maintain distance - Squad members with this option will attempt to move to the maximum range allowed by their current weapon.
Retreat if bleeding - Attempt to disengage from combat and get to a bandage to stop bleeding.
Assist Squad Leader - Squad members with this option will always attack the same enemy as their squad leader. They will act as normal if the squad leader has no target. This option doesn't have an effect for the squad leader.

Each Formation and Position can also have 1 Perk selected at any time.

Formation Perks

On The Move - Increased movement speed for each vacant position in the squad.
Keep Your Eyes Open - Increased vision range for each filled position in the squad.
Shield Wall - Increased block chance and block rate per squad member that has a shield equipped.
The Best Defense... - Increased melee weapon damage per squad member with a melee weapon equipped.
Firing Squad - Increased ranged weapon damage per squad member with a ranged weapon

Position Perks

Highlander - Increased damage with two-handed weapons when no armor is equipped.
Frenzy - Increased damage with two one handed weapons equipped but decreased chance to defend.
Way of the Gnome - Increased attack speed, dodge chance and dodge rate when no armor or weapon is equipped.
Scout - Increased vision range with a torch equipped.
Guard - Increased block chance and rate with a shield equipped.
Marksgnome - Increased attack range and accuracy with ranged weapons.
Sharpshooter - Ranged weapon damage increases with distance.
Finish Him - Attack nearby enemies who have been knocked down and do additional damage. The Assist Squad Leader option will take priority over this Perk but gnomes will still do the additional damage.
Knock 'em Down - Increased chance to hit legs and feet.
Disarm - Increased chance to hit hands and arms.
Aim for the Eyes - Increased chance to hit eyes with ranged weapons.
Militia - Will perform jobs when not on duty.

I wanted to get the patch out today instead of pushing it back any further, so there were a few more Perks I had planned that didn't make it in. Along with these additions, I've adjusted the majority of combat to be less random. I didn't have as much time for balancing as I wanted, so combat will continue to be tuned over time.

v0.8.13 Changes:

General

Position options for maintain distance, persue target, retreat, assist squad leader
Formation options for perform attack orders, defend gnomes, avoid enemies
Position perks
Formation perks
Gnomes no longer pick up random items while they are running in fear
Gnomes now run away in a straighter line
Gnomes will continue running for a bit after losing sight of an enemy
Display combat skills when selecting squad members
Armor reduces move speed and dodge chance
Chest armor protects the neck
Gnomes unequip armor when not in a squad
Gnomes in a squad will no longer perform jobs by default
Decreased miss chance
Adjusted weapon and armor stats
Decreased experience gain from training grounds and increased it for regular combat
Gnomes train faster if they are sparring with someone with a higher skill

Fixed

Buttons not working with some third party apps running in the background, this was making it impossible for some people to start the game
Crash when trying to defend with an item that can't defend, ie pickaxe
Gnomes getting stuck trying to pick up an item if they had something in their left hand and their right was injured
Bandages having quality. It was causing gnomes to travel farther for a better quality bandage when all bandages heal the same.
Tooltips on the action bar covering the buttons
Right click menu going behind action bar
Attributes increasing too fast

With this patch primarily adding new stuff I'm going to once again switch to fixing bugs for the next patch.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hot diggity! Got a spare week of doing nothing coming up so I'm happy to finally sink my teeth in to this properly. A perfect time.

Toma

Looks like an awesome patch. Does it work with old saves?

Just tested it with a 3 month old save, works flawlessly on first try.

Btw, I havent started this game up in months, and its pretty cool to see the new graphic tiles for torches, bones etc.

CzarTim

Travel times suck when you get to -50. I have a squad on patrol from floors -25 to -50, but I still lost my best miner when they were too slow :(

Top Bottom