• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gnomoria |OT| of playing Dwarf Fortress "Lite" in isometric 2D with mouse input

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Travel times suck when you get to -50. I have a squad on patrol from floors -25 to -50, but I still lost my best miner when they were too slow :(

Lost them? They were too slow for what?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bug Fix update for today:

Crash when trying to milk an animal after it's been butchered
Crash with "Shield Wall" and not having a full squad
Crash when looking for a chair
When loading a save, sometimes gnomes would lose track of claimed items and constructions. This was causing food, beds, etc to be permanently claimed and unusable.
Squad members not leaving a squad when it's disbanded
Squad members constantly switching between two kinds of ammo
Squad members not canceling their job when going on guard duty or training
Ranchers fighting over livestock
Priority and suspend not working for butcher shop
Being able to queue the same animal in two different butcher shops
Dirt and clay golems being immune to blunt and pierce damage

I just started playing after buying the game on indiegamestand ("pay what you want"). I somehow magically got a lot of strawberry wine even though I didn't build a distillery yet?

Toma

I just started playing after buying the game on indiegamestand ("pay what you want"). I somehow magically got a lot of strawberry wine even though I didn't build a distillery yet?

Can you upload the savegame? Would love to see that. Shouldnt have been possible though, yeah.
Hope you like the game though! And having tons of strawberry wine certainly isnt something to complain about :p

Cade

Just stopped in to make sure everyone had seen this on pay-what-you-want here and it appears that some have. I'll be picking this up shortly.

Toma

Made the thread this news deserved. Thanks for posting, guys.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

If you notice, along with your starting group, you have some animals, and a couple of containers (x3 crates, x2 barrels, x2 bags). Those containers already have stuff in them, so that strawberry wine is probably from the barrels.

I'm still trying to figure out how the containers work in this game, but one thing I noticed is that if you just designate an area that corresponds to one of the items in the containers, the gnomes will gladly (and annoyingly) remove such items from the containers, and chuck them in the stockpile area.

CzarTim

If you notice, along with your starting group, you have some animals, and a couple of containers (x3 crates, x2 barrels, x2 bags). Those containers already have stuff in them, so that strawberry wine is probably from the barrels.

I'm still trying to figure out how the containers work in this game, but one thing I noticed is that if you just designate an area that corresponds to one of the items in the containers, the gnomes will gladly (and annoyingly) remove such items from the containers, and chuck them in the stockpile area.
Build > Furniture > Storage > Crate/Barrel

Put them in stockpiles and the gnomes will do the rest.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Build > Furniture > Storage > Crate/Barrel

Put them in stockpiles and the gnomes will do the rest.

I am putting them in the stockpiles.

Whats happening, if I don't take care to be prepared for it, is that if I decide to plop a container, let's say a crate into my rock storage area, if I don't have any spare crates around, they'll just take a crate from another stockpile area, let's say my wood storage area, and just move the stupid crate STILL FILLED WITH WOOD, to the rock storage area.

If I leave them alone, then they'll just waste time moving the wood from that one crate, back to the wood stockpile area.

I'm more careful now (and when I say "careful now", I mean, as of one hour ago, because that's when I finally figured out I need empty containers at all times before I plop em down in a stockpile area).

CzarTim

I am putting them in the stockpiles.

Whats happening, if I don't take care to be prepared for it, is that if I decide to plop a container, let's say a crate into my rock storage area, if I don't have any spare crates around, they'll just take a crate from another stockpile area, let's say my wood storage area, and just move the stupid crate STILL FILLED WITH WOOD, to the rock storage area.

If I leave them alone, then they'll just waste time moving the wood from that one crate, back to the wood stockpile area.

I'm more careful now (and when I say "careful now", I mean, as of one hour ago, because that's when I finally figured out I need empty containers at all times before I plop em down in a stockpile area).
Oh I see. Weird bug!

StayDead

Never have I been confused so much in playing a game as this.

I think it's all going so well then during summer all my gnomes don't do what I want them to. I think I may be giving proffesions wrong as I get like 8 gnomes sitting Idle and refusing to do anything.

Time to watch some lets plays I think.

CzarTim

Never have I been confused so much in playing a game as this.

I think it's all going so well then during summer all my gnomes don't do what I want them to. I think I may be giving proffesions wrong as I get like 8 gnomes sitting Idle and refusing to do anything.

Time to watch some lets plays I think.

I always make sure all my Gnomes haul and construct so they aren't idle.

Just lost the past twelve hours to this gem. Best three dollars I ever spent. I finally quit when two uber goblins were spotted but unable to be seen and then they murdered everyone.

Toma

Just lost the past twelve hours to this gem. Best three dollars I ever spent. I finally quit when two uber goblins were spotted but unable to be seen and then they murdered everyone.

Yepyep, next time you'll probably be prepared. I love how these games tend to teach you by killing you.

Ferrio

Banned
My gnomes are stupid :|

Do squads have to be on patrol to actually fight? I set up a squad (though they had no weapons) to respond to goblin threat... yet when one was spotted he just took out stuff without any interference from gnome squad.

Also... I assume hospitals only work if you have bandages? Because right now it should be labeled as a morgue.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My gnomes are stupid :|

Do squads have to be on patrol to actually fight? I set up a squad (though they had no weapons) to respond to goblin threat... yet when one was spotted he just took out stuff without any interference from gnome squad.

Also... I assume hospitals only work if you have bandages? Because right now it should be labeled as a morgue.

From what I've been noticing, soldiers will always respond to threats as long as they can see the goblins. However, if they're not training or patrolling, they won't have weapons, they'll have whatever they class dictates them (miners will have picks, woodcutters will have fell axes).

I don't know if they'll run to the storage to change weapons if they see an enemy or if they'll just engage with whatever they have at hand. I think their fighting stat has something to do with that as well, as I've seen some non-soldier gnomes fighting, while others just panic and run away.

I have enough gnomes that I just leave the soldiers training most of the time. When a Goblin shows up, I create a patrolling spot near it and they'll go straight to the goblins. The good thing is that they'll also pick up weapons when they go patrolling (and when they're training).

Hospitals work for people to fix themselves up after a fight. They rest and other gnomes bring them water and food, and they get better from injuries.

I believe bandages are to stop bleeding - I had a lot of gnomes go to the hospital and get better from injuries, but the ones bleeding would always die - turns out I didn't have bandages for them.

Ferrio

Banned
If you click on the goblin and select it on the popup menu, there's an option to attack.

Son of a bitch.

Also are their fences or anything? I haven't seen any... I'd like to enclose my farms and stuff... I guess walls might have to do if not.

Toma

Great to see this thread getting a bit of attention again. Game really is in a bit of a need of some bug fix patches atm though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Thanks to your other thread, I picked this up for $5. I've been playing a lot of DF lately and I keep on trying to use the DF keys to go down levels and build things :D

This is pretty cool! I'm having troubles with aligning the squares properly when I'm digging. Is there a trick to lining things up?

Ferrio

Banned
I had that happen in my first playthrough. Luckily I learned quickly back in Half Life that the F4 button is beautiful.

Quick save works?

How do you destroy ramps? On the natural terrain I can't build on ramps, and doesn't seem like I can 'mine wall' them??? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ugh, I've been waiting for them to make my loom for a long time now. Not sure about this ai. Is there a way to set a priority for them to build it? I have a ton of planks and blocks.

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh, I've been waiting for them to make my loom for a long time now. Not sure about this ai. Is there a way to set a priority for them to build it? I have a ton of planks and blocks.

I was having that issue as well... it seems you really have to micromanage your gnome's professions.

I'm deciding to restart again, and have gnomes devoted to almost single tasks (the built in professions are too broad once you get more gnomes). Having a gnome be a hauler really cuts down on what they do.

Think I'll have a devoted carpenter and stone gnome for sure to start out with. Then one that's a construction gnome only. Then some haulers+construction+other random stuff. Then whatever else is needed (woodcutting etc).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Quick save works?

How do you destroy ramps? On the natural terrain I can't build on ramps, and doesn't seem like I can 'mine wall' them??? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Mine - Destroy or Remove Ramps

I can't find a way to remove Stairs...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was having that issue as well... it seems you really have to micromanage your gnome's professions.

I'm deciding to restart again, and have gnomes devoted to almost single tasks (the built in professions are too broad once you get more gnomes). Having a gnome be a hauler really cuts down on what they do.

Think I'll have a devoted carpenter and stone gnome for sure to start out with. Then one that's a construction gnome only. Then some haulers+construction+other random stuff. Then whatever else is needed (woodcutting etc).

OPf you could just have 40 gnomes and have 8 of each profession. That's what I do, and I have enough woodcutters that I can spare them between a militar squad and wood carving and actually cutting down trees.

Ferrio

Banned
OPf you could just have 40 gnomes and have 8 of each profession. That's what I do, and I have enough woodcutters that I can spare them between a militar squad and wood carving and actually cutting down trees.

There's more than 8 professions though. The default professions are just profession configurations.

I'm thinking my gnomes will be more on the ball if I have ones dedicated to only building new structures, and ones devoted to making ONLY base materials. Not to mention they'll gain skill levels in their specialized fields faster.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There's more than 8 professions though. The default professions are just profession configurations.

I'm thinking my gnomes will be more on the ball if I have ones dedicated to only building new structures, and ones devoted to making ONLY base materials. Not to mention they'll gain skill levels in their specialized fields faster.

Yes, but you'll have lots of idling gnomes at all times.

Sure, that much micromanagement is better, but oh boy... :D

Ferrio

Banned
Yes, but you'll have lots of idling gnomes at all times.

Sure, that much micromanagement is better, but oh boy... :D

Doubt I'll have them idle much. Just set stuff to repeat, and have them work all day. It's easy to tell if someone's idling.

Toma

Bug Fix update for today:

General

Optimizations for merging and splitting navigation graphs (This fixes performance issues with digging ramps, building walls, etc)

Art

Updated tree tiles

Fixed

Crash when mining stairs up directly above another mine stairs up job
Crash when loading certain older saves
Crash when loading an older save that had an in progress butcher job
Crash when creating obsidian at the lowest depth
Crash when items fall into lava at the lowest depth
Crash when changing to Full Screen Borderless when the current desktop resolution isn't supported
Deconstructing something that blocked movement continuing to block movement, ie statues
Quiver and ammo pouch getting stuck on a game when leaving a squad
Battle axes doing 0 damage
Items on top of stairs not falling when the stairs are destroyed
Build door not being allowed on a room
Contents of storage not being removed from a stockpile when the storage was deconstructed
Formation perks not saving in some cases

Sarcasm

Will this ever come out on steam? I know its a bit picky but I am getting project zomboid on steam (have it on desura)

Ferrio

Banned
Will this ever come out on steam? I know its a bit picky but I am getting project zomboid on steam (have it on desura)

He's trying to greenlight it right now, also I believe he said if you buy it and it gets released on steam he'll give you a steam key (he did for spacechem).

Toma

He's trying to greenlight it right now, also I believe he said if you buy it and it gets released on steam he'll give you a steam key (he did for spacechem).

Huh? "He" did for SpaceChem? What does the dev of Gnomoria have to do with SpaceChem?

*goes off to google "Gnomoria SpaceChem" and sees his Geneforge and Gnomoria threads popping up at 2nd result. He grins.*

Edit: Thanks CzarTim for keeping an eye on this thread btw.

Top Bottom