• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

"I think there comes a time when to maintain a high level of quality... the bottom line is you can't get burned out, and the source material can't always be the same," said Asmussen. "I want God of War to be one of those games where if there are more God of Wars, we're seeing them spread out over time -- it's not like our studio's making a new God of War every two or three years or something like that, and then the series becomes irrelevant. I like the approach of, 'We just won't make Metroid for 10 years. Why do we have to keep making Metroid?' And then when it comes back, it's fresh and you remember why you loved that game so much. I think it would be good at this point to take that approach with God of War... For a trilogy, it's great. Let's put it to bed for awhile though."

When asked if he felt the same way about portable entries or other forms the series could take beyond PlayStation home console releases, he said, "I wouldn't rule anything out at this point; this is just kind of how I feel about it."

During the same interview, Asmussen also squashed rumors that God of War 3 had a $100 million budget, saying the number was nowhere near that, and revealed that the March 2010 release date has been planned since the game began development, with no delays along the way.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178157

I was so close, guys. I could have played God of War III from start to finish, but it would have required turning to physical violence...and I'm hoping to keep my job a little longer. See, a full version of God of War III was inside the PlayStation 3 in front of me at a God of War III event on Thursday, but a nearby member of the God of War III team pulled the controller out of my hands after finishing the first boss encounter in Kratos' possibly final adventure.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702883/God-of-War-III-Final-Hands-On.html

zoukka

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Did you read the destructoid preview?

Yeah it's glowing, but I just had a mental image of a person sitting in his room with a controller in hand and screaming at the tv.

Rugasuki

The budget of the game was less than $44 million according to the Director of Product Development, John Hight. Also, the game engine is based on the code from GOWII.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rugasuki said:
The budget of the game was less than $44 million according to the Director of Product Development, John Hight. Also, the game engine is based on the code from GOWII.
Wow. That's pretty awesome.

mr_nothin

Banned
Rugasuki said:
So GOWII in HD was true...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
IAMBEEFLESS said:
Can we please make sure that this game is a day one million seller? Please? PLEASE?

1) Why would you want that? DO you have stock in SCEE?
2) What makes you this game won't sell insanely? It's God of War 3: it's already got a steady stream of fans, it's a mainstream action title and it's got more gore than the entire Saw-series combined.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
IAMBEEFLESS said:
To be honest, this was known for quite a while. I guess this tidbit slipped under the radar for some.
It probably did for me. I had only played a bit of the series a long time ago before finally playing through the first two in their entirety with the collection. I was never a huge fan so I wasn't following GoWIII much until the past few months.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Rugasuki said:

Goddamn. 44 million is a lot of money.

rhino4evr

I've stayed completely spoiler free I'm regards to video. Do those gametrailer interviews feature video/gameplay spoilers..
The wait continues
It's a good thing this game didn't come out today. Can you imagine the Fanboy firestorm the psn error would have caused?

neorej said:
1) Why would you want that? DO you have stock in SCEE?
2) What makes you this game won't sell insanely? It's God of War 3: it's already got a steady stream of fans, it's a mainstream action title and it's got more gore than the entire Saw-series combined.

1) Because the team at Santa Monica deserved to be rewarded for their work
2) Because playstation 3 owners tend not to buy playstation 3 games

Beyond this i will say no more because i do not wish to start any kind of dispute

WrikaWrek

Banned
IAMBEEFLESS said:

Beyond this i will say no more because i do not wish to start any kind of dispute

Everything is a competition.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
rhino4evr said:
I've stayed completely spoiler free I'm regards to video. Do those gametrailer interviews feature video/gameplay spoilers..
The wait continues
It's a good thing this game didn't come out today. Can you imagine the Fanboy firestorm the psn error would have caused?

just listen to the interview, without watching the vids.

gbovo said:
Could you post excerpts from these interviews, please? All gaming websites (besides GAF), are blocked at my job.

- Their biggest fear with GoW2 was topping the second one. They'd have conversations when GoW3 started where they said 'You know, we have to outdo the Colossus?'. It's something that came up a lot.

- Each director put their own spin on the story.

- The most difficult thing to work on was the Titans. One of the original Titan designs had Kratos starting at the toe and climbing up to the neck. But it took 4 hours to do that so they scrapped the design. So they instead starting thinking about recognizable parts of the Titans and figured out how to make the gameplay work on those sections.

- The hardest cut was an epilogue at the end that they never got around to. But he says 'Maybe later'.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So a colleague of mine attended the press event last week and came away impressed (no surprise there). We have our full review copy in and have been loving every minute thus far =).

Graphically, God of War 3 has definitely come a long way since its appearance at E3 last year. The character models and shadows look even more accurate and detailed, and the animation is spot on. The environments are dynamic and feel alive, and the superb art direction definitely makes this a sight to behold. While the framerate has been slowed down a bit from the PS2 excursions, motion blur and bloom lighting help add to the cinematic style of the game. All in all, this is sure to be one of the best looking games on the system.

GameZone Hands-on Impressions

We, of course, have interviews going live tomorrow and Wednesday. We are also giving away a free copy of the game, so if you want full details, PM me and I'll give you the rundown.

Rugasuki

Totobeni said:
smells like DLCs episodes to me.

I asked about DLC at last week's event and they said they weren't commenting on it. But the way they said it made me feel like there is going to be some.

Torrod

Neo Member
Rugasuki said:
I asked about DLC at last week's event and they said they weren't commenting on it. But the way they said it made me feel like there is going to be some.

It`s the newest trend in gaming industry. So why shouldn`t they. I would totally buy it twice if i have to :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
IAMBEEFLESS said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
The game will sell. In fact, it might be the best selling game of Q1.

Caspel said:
So a colleague of mine attended the press event last week and came away impressed (no surprise there). We have our full review copy in and have been loving every minute thus far =).

GameZone Hands-on Impressions

We, of course, have interviews going live tomorrow and Wednesday. We are also giving away a free copy of the game, so if you want full details, PM me and I'll give you the rundown.

frame rate is slowed down :(

i wonder how much.

Cesar

Banned
Rugasuki said:
The budget of the game was less than $44 million according to the Director of Product Development, John Hight.

The question is how much less it costed. Uncharted 2's budget was "only" $20 million.

mr_nothin

Banned
ghostofsparta said:
Anything above 30 is good right? So there won't be any frame rate issues?
Pretty much but it depends on how much fluctuation there is but the motion blur should help smooth it out alot.

Cyberia

The "God of War" success story is due to a rock solid set of game rules. It cannot be overstated, however, how good looking this game is. It's the crowning graphical achievement of Sony's console to date, besting even "Uncharted 2." David Jaffe really wasn't exaggerating when he said it looked like a painting come to life. In quiet moments when the camera rests up close to Kratos, it really is that stunning.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/01/god-of-war-3-hands-on-preview-the-first-level-completed/

Look for our review of "God of War 3" next Monday at 12:00pm EST, when the embargo lifts.

Baki

Cesar said:
The question is how much less it costed. Uncharted 2's budget was "only" $20 million.

$22M exactly. But you have to factor in Engine development for Santa Monica.

JudgeN

mr_nothin said:
Down from the "stable" 60 fps of the 1st two GOW games. It's 30-60fps now.

The 2 GOW games did not have "Stable 60 FPS", why do you think part of the reason the collection is so awesome? GOW1/2 were 30-60 FPS just like GOW3.

jett

D-Member
JudgeN said:
The 2 GOW games did not have "Stable 60 FPS", why do you think part of the reason the collection is so awesome? GOW1/2 were 30-60 FPS just like GOW3.

Nah man, I played like 3 hours of GOW2 on PS2 a couple of days ago and it's mostly 60fps(even with the high-res mode). It's nothing like the GOW3 demo(which almost never reaches 60). I hope the final GOW3 was locked at 30fps. The constant fluctuation would definitely annoy.

mr_nothin

Banned
JudgeN said:
That's the whole reason why I put "stable" in quotes like that. GOW1/2 are 60 fps the majority of the time with a few less than 60fps moments. It's not as bad as GOW3, going by the demo and the impressions. But the motion blur should really help it out.

EDIT: Sorta beaten XD

Firewire

Banned
G4TV's Xplay just had a preview of GOW3 with some never before seen footage. It looked awesome, and even the Sony hater Morgan Web seemed to be gushing like Kratos gave her the :O face.

Before the machine was powered on however, I'd spent a palm-sweating 20 minutes with the opening to God of War III. There are few words that summarize God of War III besides an unfortunate but fitting cliche: epic. The scope of the third installment is terribly ambitious. The game opens with massive Titans crawling up Mt. Olympus, intent on taking down the gods.

What's so impressive about God of War III, however, is not that everything's done in real-time, it's that so much is happening all at once in real-time. Every few seconds, there are moments that could have easily been implemented by the team without much pain and suffering using pre-rendered video; instead, it's all happening in-engine. You'll be running forward on the backs of these gigantic creatures, fighting off enemies, leaping from platform-to-platform, while other Titans are scaling the same mountain to the left and right of you. Often times, these Titans will reach over and interact with you. It's a supremely impressive technical feat.

http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/44695/god-of-war-iii/articles/70028/God-of-War-III-Final-Hands-On-Preview

Mad_Ban

DSC01776.JPG
Not sure I'd want my kid to trick or treat in that...

"GIVE ME SWEETS OR GIVE ME CHAOS!!!"
"...?"
*gouges eyes out and makes off with candy*

Top Bottom