• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

-viper-

Banned
Callibretto said:
after watching gttv episodes. I don't know how any reviewer can say the gameplay is stale or not changed at all.

they add and change quite a lot more than I expect. at first I thought combat grapple is the biggest addition. but in gttv you get to see hermes shoes in action for platforming and battle. icarus wing air dash, fire bow, 2 new weapon shown, new magic, etc.

the combat grapple alone is really unique because each weapon have different application. blade of chaos will drag kratos to enemy while cestus will drag enemy to you instead. can't wait to see how the other weapon work with combat grapple.

that's way more addition that I expect from any other game in a sequel.
Completely agree. Then you can add the moving environments too.

Out of all other sequels, it appears to me that GOW3 has taken the most significant strides.

Hydrargyrus

A difficult point for GOW3 is that it's a game that has to face that it has to keep the same style from GOW1&2 (because it's what the fans wants) and introduce some really good innovations to get 0'5 points in the reviews and probably the fans dislike... hard to decide :lol

IMO it's easier to please the fans since only they have to support the original style. On the other hand, to introduce innovations can to be dangerous and can spoil the final result.

Kittonwy

Banned
How can a hack and slash game with new moves, moving environments and second party view kill sequence be accused of lack of innovations? Are they expecting the hack and slash game become something of a completely different genre?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kittonwy said:
How can a hack and slash game with new moves, moving environments and second party view kill sequence be accused of lack of innovations?

Ask GT. Then ask a similar question while including the phrase 'Modern Warfare 2'.

sam27368

Banned
Ouch to the Dante's Inferno comparisons. Everyone knows GoWIII was going to be hugely epic, have a massive budget, huge team and all of Sonys backing. Dante's Inferno was the studios first attempt at a hack n slash game from a reasonably mid sized team. I don't think it's fair to compare the two when it comes to scale and graphics.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sam27368 said:
Ouch to the Dante's Inferno comparisons. Everyone knows GoWIII was going to be hugely epic, have a massive budget, huge team and all of Sonys backing. Dante's Inferno was the studios first attempt at a hack n slash game from a reasonably mid sized team. I don't think it's fair to compare the two when it comes to scale and graphics.

You could be forgiven for thinking it's "fair" when DI supposedly does next to nothing to separate itself from GoW/GoW2.

iceatcs

sam27368 said:
I think they didn't bring up first place. Dante's Inferno ask for it.

sam27368 said:

usually when a smaller sized team is taking up the challenge to compete with the genre king, they don't try to take the king head on, but tried to put some spin or unique twist on it to differentiate themselves. the goal is to get some of the king's fanbase by providing something the king may lack.

for example. Saint's Row is challenging GTA by providing better shooting gameplay while still providing open world gameplay. other example is Dead Space challenging RE4 by giving the ability to aim while moving.

from previews and stuff, it didn't look like Dante's Inferno add anything to the formula. meaning, either they expect to compete head on with GoW from the start. or they know from the start they can't win and just want to capitalize on hack and slash genre.

tzare

sam27368 said:

but they both have the same street price. Not my intention to say Dante is a bad game,i enjoyed the demo and will buy someday, but sometimes when you see the effort put in some games you could even pay more. Sometimes less. Value is something important, hours of gameplay, innovation, visuals, plot....
games like GOW3 or alan wake go beyond for the same you would pay for a game like Dante which does not. For example, Dead Space imo, did go beyond , and also did not have resources like GOW3. I
Just a reflexion, do not take it seriously :p

US PlayStation Magazine gave it 5 stars.
34yrb5y.jpg

Lagspike_exe said:
How much did they give to MAG?
I currently know nothing outside of the score of God of War 3. Subscriptions are going out, or are already in peoples homes. So expect stuff to trickle out within a couple days.

Jirotrom

-viper- said:
Out of all other sequels, it appears to me that GOW3 has taken the most significant strides.
Mass Effect 2 was a pretty amazing sequel... grantd im pretty sure GoW3 is my GOTY already :lol :lol :lol :lol

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
KratosKilla said:
Alright, I'm feeling tempted to watch GTTV. Should I? Are there a lot of spoilers?
I walked away from it feeling alright actually. It's not gonna ruin the game for you if that's what you're asking.

Torrod

Neo Member
KratosKilla said:
Alright, I'm feeling tempted to watch GTTV. Should I? Are there a lot of spoilers?

They`re showing nothing else but unlimited epic- and awesomeness. No spoilers. At least nothing to worry about :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
KratosKilla said:

The only continuous story sequence they show is from very near the beginning. Everything else is cut together in a way that is cool to see, but generally lacks context. Also they show a fair amount of the Hades fight, but again, cut up quite a bit. If you want to avoid weapon spoilers, though, I think that there are glimpses of every weapon in the game. (And by weapons I mean Blades, Cestus, etc.)

Jirotrom

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The only continuous story sequence they show is from very near the beginning. Everything else is cut together in a way that is cool to see, but generally lacks context. Also they show a fair amount of the Hades fight, but again, cut up quite a bit. If you want to avoid weapon spoilers, though, I think that there are glimpses of every weapon in the game. (And by weapons I mean Blades, Cestus, etc.)
im sure there are more weapons than what we saw

In preparation for the game I worked on a God of War avatar:

24b3pty.jpg

For some reason it runs perfectly in Firefox but it's slow as hell in Safari. Anybody know how I can go about to fix it?

Cartman86

Banned
I played Dante's Inferno all the way through and enjoyed it enough, but yeah technically it was a let down. The awesome art just didn't go anywhere because of the tech behind it, and more importantly they missed out big time on unique ways to use the universe they had. They went with the streight up God of War clone instead.

For example. There is a level called Greed. And throughout the game (and this level) you collect shit. You collect health, magic, relics, souls, etc. You go throughout this entire level that condemns people for being greedy with no mention of you yourself. This game would have been awesome if they went for the psychological stuff. It's like you are just walking through alternately skinned levels in God of War.

The game is really really short. And not in a good way. The pacing feels slightly off since every level has nothing unique going on so you just run through em.

It's not a terrible game by any means, and I had some fun while playing it, but it's not up to the quality of something like God of War.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tkawsome said:
In preparation for the game I worked on a God of War avatar:

http://i45.tinypic.com/24b3pty.jpg[IMG]

For some reason it runs perfectly in Firefox but it's slow as hell in Safari. Anybody know how I can go about to fix it?[/QUOTE]
Awesome avatar. Safari just handles .gifs really badly. That's why I switched back to Firefox.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jirotrom said:
im sure there are more weapons than what we saw

I'm not, based on the stuff I've gleaned from magazine reviews. The video shows
different weapons, one is related to
rage mode, leaving 4 that can be quick selected by the d-pad.
<-- spoilers do not contain specific weapon names, just a count of weapons.

I certainly hope there are more, but I'm not going to be shocked if there aren't.

Jirotrom

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm not, based on the stuff I've gleaned from magazine reviews. The video shows
different weapons, one is related to
rage mode, leaving 4 that can be quick selected by the d-pad.
<-- spoilers do not contain specific weapon names, just a count of weapons.

I certainly hope there are more, but I'm not going to be shocked if there aren't.
honestly i couldn't care less... the only thing i care about is finding a ps3 on the cheap before the 16th

ghostmind

Heads-up to anyone who wants to get the God of War Collection and GoW3... Amazon is having a promo that if you buy the Collection ($30) you get a $5 promo credit towards GoW3 ($57), which itself has a $10 "future credit" promo going on.

Hey guys, I pre-orderd the Ultimate Edition at Best Buy today but on the reciept it said in all capital letters " OUT OF STOCK-DO NOT SELL!!!",so I asked customer service about it and they said I should be fine, that they only put that if they are running low. So i asked like 3 times, "But i will get it for sure right", and they kept answering yes. I doubt I will get it but any little chance of hope made me keep it :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Cruzader said:
Sucks Im trying to avoid any sort of new media and fuckers have gifs of said media...fuck.

The .gifs are brief moments of media that are in fact brief moments of a very limited section of the beginning of the game.

It's not that bad.

Grab a tissue. It'll all be okay.

ghostofsparta said:
Hey guys, I pre-orderd the Ultimate Edition at Best Buy today but on the reciept it said in all capital letters " OUT OF STOCK-DO NOT SELL!!!",so I asked customer service about it and they said I should be fine, that they only put that if they are running low. So i asked like 3 times, "But i will get it for sure right", and they kept answering yes. I doubt I will get it but any little chance of hope made me keep it :D

How much is the Ultimate Edition?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Patrick Bateman said:
They won't ship to Europe, right?

Btw. would the US version run on a European PS3? I'm a bit lost with the RCs right now.

it's 2010 and people still don't know that all PS3 blu-ray games are region free ?

Top Bottom