• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ZeroRay said:
The spinning spiked cylinders of doom.

Oh, OK. I was slightly confused, as he was talking about GoW II, and I couldn't remember there being any climbing puzzle in GoW II. But yeah, the cylinders of doom were bullshit frustrating. Bah.

Ugh, those Cylinders of Doom are the only things stopping me from buying the GOW collection. Well, those and the Human Sacrifice bit. I love the hell out of GOW2, and I like most of GOW1, but I've only played through it once and I never want to go through those sections again. I got through them once, and I suppose I could do it again, but I just have no desire to put myself through that kind of frustration on purpose.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mjemirzian said:
So is this game comparable to bayo/ninja gaiden 2? or is it more of the same qte+simple combos?

well imo the combosystem in bayo ( and to an extent ) ng2 puts the combosystem of gow 1/2 ( cant judge 3 obv. ) to shame, but thats not why a lot of people play the game.

I personally like the atmosphere,setting and story of the gow games much more than the other ones but yeah one shouldnt get into gow thinking its gonna have a combosystem that rivals bayo/dmcs

Widge

Corky said:
I personally like the atmosphere,setting and story of the gow games much more than the other ones but yeah one shouldnt get into gow thinking its gonna have a combosystem that rivals bayo/dmcs

Yep, thats my driving factor. I really cannot be bothered learning a massively technical game like Bayo/NG and I tend to value story/experience above that. Probably a reason I don't play fighters like DOA or SF4 anymore too.

Jay Sosa said:
Those crazy French never disappoint.
Right, using letters makes way more sense. *sigh*

BTW : Cannot wait to play this. I discovered the serie very late, but enjoyed a lot what I played. I'm sure this won't dissapoint :D

Widge said:
Yep, thats my driving factor. I really cannot be bothered learning a massively technical game like Bayo/NG and I tend to value story/experience above that. Probably a reason I don't play fighters like DOA or SF4 anymore too.

The world design/artistic consistency in GoW also blows the other games away...

MoxManiac

Why does everyone complain so much about those spike cylinders? Those are easy as shit. I got the trophy on the first try.

If you're going to complain about bullshit parts in GoW1, try that stupid water part with the moving wall, or some of the platforming with archers shooting at you in hades.

LowParry

MoxManiac said:
Why does everyone complain so much about those spike cylinders? Those are easy as shit. I got the trophy on the first try.

If you're going to complain about bullshit parts in GoW1, try that stupid water part with the moving wall, or some of the platforming with archers shooting at you in hades.

But those parts were easy. ;)

MoxManiac said:

Or the timed spike-floor box-pushing section. I never had trouble with that when I played the game on PS2, but for some reason I died like 10 times there while playing the Collection.

MoxManiac

badcrumble said:
Or the timed spike-floor box-pushing section. I never had trouble with that when I played the game on PS2, but for some reason I died like 10 times there while playing the Collection.

Oh god I hated that part so much. How could I forget it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Combichristoffersen said:
Oh, OK. I was slightly confused, as he was talking about GoW II, and I couldn't remember there being any climbing puzzle in GoW II. But yeah, the cylinders of doom were bullshit frustrating. Bah.

The best part was the fact that in GOW Collection they tie a trophy to getting through that first part of the spinning blades without getting hit. A nice middle finger from Sony SM...:lol

SmokyDave

badcrumble said:
Me too!

There were two parts that I breezed through on PS2 but that broke me on the collection. The first was the above, the second was the underwater dash during the swinging pillar section. My DS3 nearly went through the window.

LM4sure

Banned
matrix-cat said:
Ugh, those Cylinders of Doom are the only things stopping me from buying the GOW collection. Well, those and the Human Sacrifice bit. I love the hell out of GOW2, and I like most of GOW1, but I've only played through it once and I never want to go through those sections again. I got through them once, and I suppose I could do it again, but I just have no desire to put myself through that kind of frustration on purpose.

Wait, I just beat the first level in GoW1. Have I come to this frustrating part yet? I don't want to waste my time only to give up on the game. Should I just skip to GoW2?

MoxManiac

LM4sure said:
Wait, I just beat the first level in GoW1. Have I come to this frustrating part yet? I don't want to waste my time only to give up on the game. Should I just skip to GoW2?

It's very very late in the game. And don't listen to all these sallys, it's not that bad!

KingGondo

Banned
LM4sure said:
NOOOO. It's a great game anyway, the tough parts in the first GoW are definitely not game-breakers.

The "spiked cylinders" are toward the end of the game, and they're not as hard as they're cracked up to be, IMO. My advice is to learn how to climb quickly and accurately (using the jump buttons), which makes it significantly easier to pass this challenge.

And you'd be missing what I consider to be one of the best things about the GoW series: that it's tough, but not overly so. The developers really put you through the wringer, which makes the payoff when you conquer the game truly satisfying.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
LM4sure said:

I don't think so. The frustrating part is at the
near end part

rhino4evr

samus4ever said:
I think he's talking about the one where you have to move that box to one ledge and the floors have spikes that came up really really fast. Dear god that was cruel.
No I'm talking about those spinning cylinders that you have to climb later in the game. Not really a "puzzle" except that the controls seem completely broken at that part that it's a mystery how it got through development

edit however the scene that follows is worth the punishment

the problem with the spinning cylinders is that there is little room for error and you die fairly quickly and have to start over when you die. Took me like 45 minutes to pass it. It just seems to keep going and going when I reached the top I yelped "I hope I never ever play that again" and I haven't replayed GoW since. Played through part 2 3 timed

KingGondo

Banned
rhino4evr said:
No I'm talking about those spinning cylinders that you have to climb later in the game. Not really a "puzzle" except that the controls seem completely broken at that part that it's a mystery how it got through development

edit however the scene that follows is worth the punishment

the problem with the spinning cylinders is that there is little room for error and you die fairly quickly and have to start over when you die. Took me like 45 minutes to pass it. It just seems to keep going and going when I reached the top I yelped "I hope I never ever play that again" and I haven't replayed GoW since. Played through part 2 3 timed
I've beaten the first GoW 3 times, and it really does get easier the more you try it. I was surprised by how easily I was able to
kill Ares
when I replayed it last week. Same goes for
Zeus in GoW2

And the first game is fantastic anyway. Give it another shot, and if you still take 45 minutes to pass the cylinders, feel free to kick me in the e-balls.

Is this going to be like a GoWIII Review thread, where the OP is updated with all the reviews?

Hope so, I want to be kept informed, but not trawl through the thread and bump into any info I've so far kept awat from.

Baki

Katana_Strikes said:
Is this going to be like a GoWIII Review thread, where the OP is updated with all the reviews?

Hope so, I want to be kept informed, but not trawl through the thread and bump into any info I've so far kept awat from.

Fine. I'll update it then. :lol

Corky said:
well imo the combosystem in bayo ( and to an extent ) ng2 puts the combosystem of gow 1/2 ( cant judge 3 obv. ) to shame, but thats not why a lot of people play the game.

I'm a huge critic of story and dialogue in games, for some reason. I was laughing my ass off through out Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I liked the combat system, but the camera and storyline made me forget the game quite fast. I avoided Bayo because its not my type. I liked DMC's combat more than those games but again, the story blew.

GoW's story isn't a masterpiece either, but its certainly leaps and bounds better than its rivals. The combat may not be deep, but to me its just fine.

LM4sure said:
I don't even remember what these guys are talking about. I finished GoW 1 last week in Collection (on HARD difficulty btw) and don't recall any spinning cylinders of doom that made me want to throw the game controller. Just enjoy your game and don't put too much thought into whats ahead. If you do get stuck, there are dozens of youtube videos that show you how to make it through.

Lifejumper said:
There is a new picture of Kratos I believe on the front page of the Gametrailers website.
Looks really brutal.
Y'know, if they've confirmed that there will be QTEs taking place from the perspective of the enemy or from inside the enemy's body, the sex minigame ought to be first-person from the woman's perspective, imo. Maybe this is a screenshot of that.

Firewire

Banned
OMG The Gametrailers front page is even promising "Huge Reveals"

k3.jpg

I'm passing on this, and I'm done with Gametrailers as well, it was bad before but now they have "Penny Arcade" shit on it as well.

NameIess

badcrumble said:
Y'know, if they've confirmed that there will be QTEs taking place from the perspective of the enemy or from inside the enemy's body, the sex minigame ought to be first-person from the woman's perspective, imo. Maybe this is a screenshot of that.

Your sex mini game idea sounds awful gay... :lol:lol:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Firewire said:
OMG The Gametrailers front page is even promising "Huge Reveals"

k3.jpg

I'm passing on this, and I'm done with Gametrailers as well, it was bad before but now they have "Penny Arcade" shit on it as well.
Kratos looks mad.

careful

rhino4evr said:
Pretty sure the breakable walls look a little different then the normal ones
just wait until you get to the climbing puzzle. So cheap/bad the creators apologized for it
The Hades level? Uggggh. That was terrible. Almost threw my controller out the window. How the hell did that abomination pass QA? I hope there's nothing like that later on in GoW2.

Yoboman

careful said:
The Hades level? Uggggh. That was terrible. Almost threw my controller out the window. How the hell did that abomination pass QA? I hope there's nothing like that later on in GoW2.
It was the only level they didn't properly playtest so relax on that

Top Bottom