• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
krae_man said:
Okay, Now I can Kill the Skeletons easy and the boss dude easy. I can Normally kill the first magician fine but I keep on getting atacked right after I finish a circle attack.

If the ax guys are close while your doing the circle move on the magician, be ready to IMMEDIATELY roll with R3 as soon as the attack animation is over, and that should work.

krae_man

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
If the ax guys are close while your doing the circle move on the magician, be ready to IMMEDIATELY roll with R3 as soon as the attack animation is over, and that should work.

I've been trying that and it only sometimes works. They are timing their attacks perfectly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
krae_man said:
I've been trying that and it only sometimes works. They are timing their attacks perfectly.

Block. Those little guys can't hit you at all if you're blocking. Even when they do their little guard break, it doesn't count as hitting you if you remain blocking for the followup hit.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
krae_man said:

Hmm....heres another variation on the way i told you earlier.

Instead of leaving the one skeleton, just kill them all.....then as the magicians and axe dudes start coming out of the ground immediately go so that you are behind the rock guy, and when he comes alive, start the lightning attack again. However this time, move slightly to the left or right of just behind him so that the axe men and magicians are in the range of attack and spam the lightning attack. This way, youll still take out the rock boss, but youll also take out many of the other enemies too. Then by the time you hit the O above the rock boss you'll take him out, and you will have also taken out many of the axe men and magicians....

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Hmm....heres another variation on the way i told you earlier.

Instead of leaving the one skeleton, just kill them all.....then as the magicians and axe dudes start coming out of the ground immediately go so that you are behind the rock guy, and when he comes alive, start the lightning attack again. However this time, move slightly to the left or right of just behind him so that the axe men and magicians are in the range of attack and spam the lightning attack. This way, youll still take out the rock boss, but youll also take out many of the other enemies too. Then by the time you hit the O above the rock boss you'll take him out, and you will have also taken out many of the axe men and magicians....

If you don't want to use magic for the bonus, you can opt to not awaken the rock minotaur by staying near the bottom of the screen. After everything's killed, use the long range attacks of the Blade of Olympus to take out the minotaur.

JaseMath

After beating Gow 1 and 2, I jumped right into the GoW 3 demo. It looked amazing, but man, I was sure as shit missing that 60fps. Here's hoping the final product runs at a higher frame rate than the demo. *crosses fingers*

Can you change the difficulty mid-game? I got to those 3 headed dogs last night in GoW1 and I just want to get through these games in time for 3.

kikanny

BolognaSoup said:
Can you change the difficulty mid-game? I got to those 3 headed dogs last night in GoW1 and I just want to get through these games in time for 3.
I think if you die 3 or 4 times repeatedly, the game will ask you if you want to change to an easier mode.

obaidr

Banned
BolognaSoup said:
don't do that. the God of war Experience is the Best if you Play it on hard and really have to find à New strategy for every bigger Boss. it was so much Fun. unfortunatly gow2 makes the First Boss unbeatable on hard.

obaidr said:
don't do that. the God of war Experience is the Best if you Play it on hard and really have to find à New strategy for every bigger Boss. it was so much Fun. unfortunatly gow2 makes the First Boss unbeatable on hard.

Unless you're an adult with a family, a full time job, and other priorities and don't want to spend hours failing through a game when your time is limited to begin with. Being frustrated and dieing does not make for a better experience for me.

Cruzader

Banned
Guys in GOW2, I can get all max out all weapons/magic on New Game+ right? Like its not like GOW1 where you have to do everything in one playthrough? Thanx

krae_man

BolognaSoup said:
Unless you're an adult with a family, a full time job, and other priorities and don't want to spend hours failing through a game when your time is limited to begin with. Being frustrated and dieing does not make for a better experience for me.

Listen to the internet. If you play video games on Easy, yuo're a giant pussy that should be made fun of and are not "hardcore" enough.

I play games on easy

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BolognaSoup said:

It likely won't help. The hardest parts of GoW, if you can even call them hard, involve the platforming elements. Platforming elements aren't affected by the difficulty.

You have plenty of time until GoWIII. Unless you're planning on playing GoWIII on easy mode, you could consider this training since there are relatively minor adjustments to the combat engine from one iteration to the next.

Cruzader said:
Guys in GOW2, I can get all max out all weapons/magic on New Game+ right? Like its not like GOW1 where you have to do everything in one playthrough? Thanx

Yes. You can go into New Game+, turn on the Urn that gives you 10X the Red Orbs, and upgrade everything by the first real Colossus fight.

StuBurns

Banned
I ordered this the other day, and am planning to replay both games on normal, and I'll change to easy if I have too much trouble although I don't remember them being that hard. There is nothing 'pussy' about playing on easy. For me, there's never been any amazing feeling of accomplishment from getting my ass handed to me till I eventually scrape a victory.

MrPliskin

Banned
I've got a question in reference to 2 trophies:

For the Eye see you and Go make a Pillow trophies, is it like GoW 1 (where you just have to max out your health / life bars) or do you actually have to collect them all?

MrPliskin

Banned
nskinnear said:
It's just like GoW I where you have to max out the bars.

EDIT~

Is there any way to beat the 6th Challenge in GoW II? Holy fuck, this is hard.

The 6th Challenge is actually pretty easy. Basically use your Magic when large groups of enemies are around, and then try to focus on the big guy's (this will buy you time to kill them with the QTE without taking damage, while receiving health).

Also, parry is your friend (seriously). There are no Gorgons, so turning to stone isn't a worry, and during the parry / counter animation you don't take damage (and you can damage enemies and blast them back giving you space).

The Guy's with the tablets can be a pain because they'll summon other creatures, try to kill them off quickly (remember, you can grab them and initiate a QTE to avoid taking damage, though this isn't a good idea if many of these guy's are around).

The last tip I can provide is roll and move a LOT. You never want to be in the same place because the enemies will try their hardest to surround you and kill you. Moving provides you with space to do your combos and keeps you out of reach of enemy attack.

Hopefully that helps out man!

Raaaaage stuck again in Titan mode.

Satyr champions and juggernaut things after the sirens and juggernauts right before getting your wings I believe.

I tried for about two hours last night :(

I tried grabbing the first Satyr and it takes so long to kill him with the grab technique. I have also noticed you can be attacked whilst pressing O rapidly during the grab struggle.

Usually I am pretty low on life energy after intial battle with sirens/juggernauts. I need that health chest (or i can use all magic in previous battle, then I would need the magic chest)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
Raaaaage stuck again in Titan mode.

Satyr champions and juggernaut things after the sirens and juggernauts right before getting your wings I believe.

I tried for about two hours last night :(

I tried grabbing the first Satyr and it takes so long to kill him with the grab technique. I have also noticed you can be attacked whilst pressing O rapidly during the grab struggle.

Usually I am pretty low on life energy after intial battle with sirens/juggernauts. I need that health chest (or i can use all magic in previous battle, then I would need the magic chest)

Are you sure it wasn't a fluke when you got hit during the clash with the Satyr? I don't remember that happening, but it's possible. Barbarian Hammer + RotT absolutely destroys the Satyrs with Triangle, Triangle. If you really need those health chests, and you have any RotT left, use it to open the chest. Activate, open the chest, deactivate. You can't be hit out of the animation while the RotT is active.

celpacius said:
i have a feeling most of you (if not all of you) are setting yourselves up for disappointment

:lol

Wrong thread, I think.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
kikanny said:
I think if you die 3 or 4 times repeatedly, the game will ask you if you want to change to an easier mode.

This is true...in fact you get a trophy for getting killed so many times that the game offers you easy mode...:lol

GuardianE said:
Are you sure it wasn't a fluke when you got hit during the clash with the Satyr? I don't remember that happening, but it's possible. Barbarian Hammer + RotT absolutely destroys the Satyrs with Triangle, Triangle. If you really need those health chests, and you have any RotT left, use it to open the chest. Activate, open the chest, deactivate. You can't be hit out of the animation while the RotT is active.

The satyr grab struggle just takes forever is all. Great idea about RotT and opening said chest, thanks again Guardian. I will try that later tonight.

MrPliskin

Banned
celpacius said:
i have a feeling most of you (if not all of you) are setting yourselves up for disappointment

This post amuses me, because it pretty much tells me two things.

1) You think this is a God of War 3 thread.

2) You came to this thread thinking that, with the intention of posting that exact comment without knowing anything about the thread.

Those two things clearly illustrate your role as a forum troll. Unfortunately, those techniques are only effective when you post in the right fucking thread.

5/10.

So far I hate God of War. I bought Collection on impulse, but if I had rented it I would have returned it at the piece of shit block pushing bit at the very beginning. But I guess I'm stuck with this thing and feel obligated to stick with it since I still have a game and a half left to play. At times this game is tedious to the point of hilarity. That section in Pandora's temple when you have to rotate the analog stick to expose doors made me feel like I was being made fun of. And the constant climbing/crawing along ropes with a poorly animated fast slash, slow slash, and grab move...

That stuff's not fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ConsumerSquare said:
So far I hate God of War. I bought Collection on impulse, but if I had rented it I would have returned it at the piece of shit block pushing bit at the very beginning. But I guess I'm stuck with this thing and feel obligated to stick with it since I still have a game and a half left to play. At times this game is tedious to the point of hilarity. That section in Pandora's temple when you have to rotate the analog stick to expose doors made me feel like I was being made fun of. And the constant climbing/crawing along ropes with a poorly animated fast slash, slow slash, and grab move...

That stuff's not fun.

You've forgotten what fun is.

Nah, but seriously, some of the quirks of GoWI seem slightly dated because we're used to things differently now. If you weren't into real action games back during the PS2 era, then you're bound to be less forgiving to the game. GoWII is still spectacular. If you don't like that, then you probably just don't like action games.

GaurdianE to the rescue again. I got through that part thanks to RotT.

Much appreciative.

Now I am getting rocked on the platform that you have to raise at the end of Atlas section. Do the warriors just keep spawning forever until I raise that platform? (i don't recall from my 1st play through). Those damn flaming harpies are the worst. Basically I die by the time I get to the 3rd (or fourth?) warrior.

I have Cronos Rage on level 2 and Blades of Athena at level 3

SmokyDave

celpacius said:

Man, those latest screenshots have ruffled some feathers. Trolls can't even find the right topic now that the red mist has descended.

ConsumerSquare said:

That stuff's not fun.
GoW (1) does have a couple of... interesting bits, particularly the 'Kick the Block' puzzle. GoW2 is much improved in this area. For some reason there is an simple underwater dash for a door in GoW2 that always takes me hours to pass.

koene

LLaMa-Tech said:
GaurdianE to the rescue again. I got through that part thanks to RotT.

Much appreciative.

Now I am getting rocked on the platform that you have to raise at the end of Atlas section. Do the warriors just keep spawning forever until I raise that platform? (i don't recall from my 1st play through). Those damn flaming harpies are the worst. Basically I die by the time I get to the 3rd (or fourth?) warrior.

I have Cronos Rage on level 2 and Blades of Athena at level 3

Upgrade Medusas head & stone the warrior. It's by far the best approach.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I sorta bought this game recently. I feel bad for ignoring this franchise on the PS2 since I stuck to choosing "ONLY JRPGs AND HORROR GAMES ON THE PS2". :(

After playing both games, I realized God of War 2 is my 5th most favorite game on the PS2/PS3. :D

Anyway, might as well play God of War 2 for the 4th time after finish Phantasy Star IV. :p

StuBurns

Banned
The game arrived this morning, just played a couple of hours of GoW1, very cool, visually holds up better than I'd imagined. I'd forgotten how frustrating the game can be though, with walking over thin beams etc. Still, very awesome. The GoW2 media stuff isn't great though, the starts and ends are in stupid places, like mid sentence, and when I first put it in, for the first thirty seconds it'd be a bit jumpy. Also, I don't remember the grab enemies thing being quite so touchy before, it seems like you need to be pixel perfect some times on the ports.

StuBurns said:
The game arrived this morning, just played a couple of hours of GoW1, very cool, visually holds up better than I'd imagined. I'd forgotten how frustrating the game can be though, with walking over thin beams etc. Still, very awesome. The GoW2 media stuff isn't great though, the starts and ends are in stupid places, like mid sentence, and when I first put it in, for the first thirty seconds it'd be a bit jumpy. Also, I don't remember the grab enemies thing being quite so touchy before, it seems like you need to be pixel perfect some times on the ports.
You'll be reminded of how much better God of War 2 really is - I certainly was, and to be honest I was surprised at just how much better the second game really holds up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
StuBurns said:

Are you watching the behind the scenes stuff from the XMB or in the game menu? I do recall them cutting really weirdly in the XMB. I know they didn't do that in the PS2 disc version.

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
You'll be reminded of how much better God of War 2 really is - I certainly was, and to be honest I was surprised at just how much better the second game really holds up.
I don't doubt it, I felt like I was one of the few people on GAF that preferred the second one judging from what I've read. I'm really looking forward to playing it again, I might rush through the rest of GoW1 tonight so I can get to it.

GuardianE said:
Are you watching the behind the scenes stuff from the XMB or in the game menu? I do recall them cutting really weirdly in the XMB. I know they didn't do that in the PS2 disc version.
I was watching from the XMB, I didn't know you could do it from the game menu, I thought I'd heard in an interview that was just a link to the XMB, I'll give it a try later, thanks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
W00t!

So level two has Gorgon flash if I am not mistaken.

Any idea on if those Legionnaires spawn continually spawn or are there just 3 or 4 on the platform

I believe they stop eventually, but I can't be certain.

Alternatively, you could try using Cronos' Rage to stun them while you continue turning the wheel. I think that's what I ended up doing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
StuBurns said:
I was watching from the XMB, I didn't know you could do it from the game menu, I thought I'd heard in an interview that was just a link to the XMB, I'll give it a try later, thanks.

I actually hadn't tried it myself. The weird cuts didn't bother me since I'd already watched the features years ago. I do know there's an option to go into GoWII Bonus Features when you start up the collection. I'm not sure if that just takes you to the XMB or not.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting. :(

GuardianE said:
I believe they stop eventually, but I can't be certain.

Alternatively, you could try using Cronos' Rage to stun them while you continue turning the wheel. I think that's what I ended up doing.

Interesting.
I was using Cronos' Rage to try and kill the enemies, not to keep them at bay whilst turning the crank.

Ask and NeoGAF provides.

StuBurns said:
I don't doubt it, I felt like I was one of the few people on GAF that preferred the second one judging from what I've read. I'm really looking forward to playing it again, I might rush through the rest of GoW1 tonight so I can get to it.
One thing that really stood out to me on my GoW1 replay wasn't the Hades spike towers (which were honestly never that frustrating to me) - it was the box-pushing spikey-floor puzzle. If you don't remember it, you will. I never really remembered it being all that tough, but on my GoW Collection playthrough it felt BRUTALLY uncompromising.

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
One thing that really stood out to me on my GoW1 replay wasn't the Hades spike towers (which were honestly never that frustrating to me) - it was the box-pushing spikey-floor puzzle. If you don't remember it, you will. I never really remembered it being all that tough, but on my GoW Collection playthrough it felt BRUTALLY uncompromising.
I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I even lost a couple of boxes in that very first section when you need to move the box to double jump and get the guys shooting those red arrows.

The difficulty itself has been really strange so far, I never replayed GoW1, I've played thru 2 a few times, but I remember that first play thru, having more trouble with combat, not so much level traversal, so far I haven't died from combat, or been close to it, but have died a lot falling into rocks and things.

SmokyDave

LLaMa-Tech said:
W00t!

So level two has Gorgon flash if I am not mistaken.

Any idea on if those Legionnaires spawn continually spawn or are there just 3 or 4 on the platform
It has Gorgon Stare upgrade, Gorgon Flash and Gorgon Flash air.

I'm 99% certain that the Legionnaires are finite. It doesn't seem like it while you're fighting them though!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
I actually hadn't tried it myself. The weird cuts didn't bother me since I'd already watched the features years ago. I do know there's an option to go into GoWII Bonus Features when you start up the collection. I'm not sure if that just takes you to the XMB or not.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting. :(

You can only watch the GoW II bonus content from the XMB; the option in the in-game menu just tells you to quit the game and go to the video section of the XMB.

The reason why the video stutters for the first 30 seconds or so is that the PS3 is loading the thumbnails for each video (which requires it to read the disc at different places) while simultaneously trying to play the first one. If you just wait until all of the thumbs are loaded there is no stuttering.

I didn't really notice that the videos were cut in weird places, but then again I have continuous playback activated (so that the next video automatically plays, with only a slight pause).

StuBurns

Banned
RoadHazard said:
I have continuous playback activated (so that the next video automatically plays, with only a slight pause).
I didn't even know you could do this, I've been wondering about it for ages, feel like a moron now. I'll fix it, cheers.

Top Bottom