• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

GQman2121

Banned
I'm getting ready to start the first game and would like to get as many of the trophies as possible with out having to beat it more than--hopefully--twice. I've beaten both games on the PS2 already, so I know what to expect. What should I look out for in regards to the trophies?

GQman2121 said:
I'm getting ready to start the first game and would like to get as many of the trophies as possible with out having to beat it more than--hopefully--twice. I've beaten both games on the PS2 already, so I know what to expect. What should I look out for in regards to the trophies?

Here's what I know from looking at trophies:

- Everything should come naturally except the following.
- You must find 2 muse keys in the Pandora's box temple. Should happen, but you could miss it.
- You must max out all your weapons and magic. Should happen, but opening the muse key door and getting all the red orbs there (HUGE amounts!) will really help. So, don't leave that temple unless you've completed that. (The game will ask you if you really want to leave.)
- Hitman and Hitman 2 should be trivial in the part where the spiky hammer wall is closing in on you after you've picked up the blue Hades shield in Challenge of Atlas. That should be an absolute massacre, especially if you unleash a shitload of Poseidon lightning.
- You must beat the game in under 5 hours. I'm not sure how doable that is while also doing all of the above, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Though, setting it to Easy should do the trick.
- Going up the rotating spiky column without taking damage is going to take many tries, at least for me.
- Challenge of the Gods is tough but has nothing to do with the main game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Woohoo!!! Just platinum'd GOW2. I've now platinum'd them both. It was a blast playing these again on PS3. They did an awesome job on the ports.

Bring on GOW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GQman2121

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
Here's what I know from looking at trophies:

- Everything should come naturally except the following.
- You must find 2 muse keys in the Pandora's box temple. Should happen, but you could miss it.
- You must max out all your weapons and magic. Should happen, but opening the muse key door and getting all the red orbs there (HUGE amounts!) will really help. So, don't leave that temple unless you've completed that. (The game will ask you if you really want to leave.)
- Hitman and Hitman 2 should be trivial in the part where the spiky hammer wall is closing in on you after you've picked up the blue Hades shield in Challenge of Atlas. That should be an absolute massacre, especially if you unleash a shitload of Poseidon lightning.
- You must beat the game in under 5 hours. I'm not sure how doable that is while also doing all of the above, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Though, setting it to Easy should do the trick.
- Going up the rotating spiky column without taking damage is going to take many tries, at least for me.
- Challenge of the Gods is tough but has nothing to do with the main game.

Good looking Red. ;)

KaYotiX

Banned
Beat both on Easy, and no i dont give a shit LOL. I just wanted to experience the game without bullshit deaths :D Cant wait for #3

Cruzader

Banned
crispyben said:
If you have a save not too long before the final boss fight, you can abuse the end of the first phase: you will have to press two buttons to trigger the cutscene, but if you only press the first one, you get a lot of red orbs, and you can repeat the cycle ad nauseam. That's how I maxed out everything!

ok I will need to do this when I try again. Is there a link to a site that has deep coverage on that glitch? Like I dont really get what you mean.

Xaekid

KaYotiX said:
Beat both on Easy, and no i dont give a shit LOL. I just wanted to experience the game without bullshit deaths :D Cant wait for #3

The games had "bullshit" deaths on normal?

Like, where?

Xaekid said:

Like, where?

Final boss fight, and spiky column of death (which I assume will remain even on Easy). I think that's about it. In general the game is quite fair and well balanced and not frustrating. In fact, that's one of its best qualities.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Xaekid said:

Like, where?

Final boss, the spinning meat pillars in Hades (especially if you wanted to get all the chests) and the dreaded rotating blade column towards the end of Hades. Some people also have trouble with the Blades of Hades section, and personally I had shitloads of trouble with the spiked underwater wall the first time I played GoW.

Just beat GoW on normal, only trophies I'm missing are the ones for beating the game in under 5 hours, 200 hit combo, challenge of the gods and obviously zeus trophy. Next up: GoW II :D

crispyben

Cruzader said:
ok I will need to do this when I try again. Is there a link to a site that has deep coverage on that glitch? Like I dont really get what you mean.
Let me try again, otherwise look at a GameFAQs walkthrough: the final boss battle against Ares has several phases, each separated by a cutscene. The end of the first phase is triggered by a QTE initiated when Ares has the "circle" icon over his head after being weakened enough. Go up to him, press "circle", and the QTE starts. Press the required button, Kratos will strike Ares, which gives him a bunch of red orbs and makes a second button prompt pop up. If you push it, that ends the first phase of the battle. If you don't push it, Ares will hit you and you can weaken him once again to unleash those red orbs, infinitely... Better?

SToRM

RedRedSuit said:
You don't have to do anything special to get this one. I had to try a few times to get to the top of the 1st spiked column, but once you reach the top you get the trophy. I think it is impossible to get hit and still reach the top, because when you get hit you fall down all the way.
I managed to get almost all of the trophies on the first run, except for the ´challenge of the gods´ and the ´beat the game under 5 hours´ trophy. Take your time to find as many secrets to get a lot of orbs. I finised the game with 6000+ orbs, but I only got the maxed out trophy after
part 1 of the final battle, which gets you 10000+ orbs.

I have to say I really like the way the trophies are implemented in the GoW Collection. Just finishing the game one time can already give you a lot of trophies. In my opinion it should always be implemented this way.

Cruzader

Banned
crispyben said:
Let me try again, otherwise look at a GameFAQs walkthrough: the final boss battle against Ares has several phases, each separated by a cutscene. The end of the first phase is triggered by a QTE initiated when Ares has the "circle" icon over his head after being weakened enough. Go up to him, press "circle", and the QTE starts. Press the required button, Kratos will strike Ares, which gives him a bunch of red orbs and makes a second button prompt pop up. If you push it, that ends the first phase of the battle. If you don't push it, Ares will hit you and you can weaken him once again to unleash those red orbs, infinitely... Better?

ah thanx and sorry if I was rude about it. Wasnt sure when it had to be done exactly. Sadly I saved right at the end where you end up in the throne room in olympus :) WTF is there a save thing in there anyways? Like whats the point???

Anyhow what are the things I should know going into GOW2 if I want to get platinum? Like stuff I shoudlnt miss. (like what red posted about GOW1)

Will try to master GOW in a later period, thanx crispyben.

obaidr

Banned
I personally think that the End Boss fight of GoW 1 is one of the best fights ever, in any game. Specially the scene where you need to protect your family and the emotional involvement of the player during that scene. After Ares killed my family again, with my Swords i was so angry at him and I only wanted to see him dead.

I am playing GoW2 right now and this game is such a huge step forward from the gamedesign point of view. Almost all the problems with the first one are gone. Only fact i hate about 2 is, that the first Boss on God Mode is just too difficult. I wanted to finish the game on God Mode like the first one but the first boss was almost unbeatable. I am playing on medium right now and am really missing the hard fights. It just feels too easy. They should have changed the difficulty for the first Boss on God Mode.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I hated the last boss sequence in GoW1. The difficulty was far, far too unfair on Normal.

RedRedSuit said:
Final boss fight, and spiky column of death (which I assume will remain even on Easy). I think that's about it. In general the game is quite fair and well balanced and not frustrating. In fact, that's one of its best qualities.
the spike-floor room, the underwater conveyor belt thing, the pushing the cage uphill room, the family battle and posssssssssssssibly the giant trap-door beneath your feet room

GoWII was much better in that regard. Everything felt nicely tuned on Normal.

I just beat GOW2. OMG at the ending!!! So hyped for GOW3 now.

I played the GOW3 demo but didn't understand the whole climbing up the titan thing. Now I get it. Hype for GOW3 increased 1000%

Combichristoffersen

Rez said:
I hated the last boss sequence in GoW1. The difficulty was far, far too unfair on Normal.

the spike-floor room, the underwater conveyor belt thing, the pushing the cage uphill room, the family battle and posssssssssssssibly the giant trap-door beneath your feet room

GoWII was much better in that regard. Everything felt nicely tuned on Normal.

Jesus, that collapsing floor room. Had quite a bit of trouble there the first time playing through GoW. This time around it was easy pie. The human sacrifice 'puzzle' is still a showcase of frustrating game design, otoh.

OmniGamer

Btw, what's up with the GOW:Collection games not showing up on one's PSN profile on the U.S. website? The trophy count is correct, but the games don't show up at all....i googled a bit and if you log in to another country's playstation site(i tried mexico's), they show up.

Anywho, btw, thanks to the poster with the first phase Ares orb grind trick, though slight correction, you only get about 3 levels of orbs each time...you only get that massive amount of orbs after hitting the second button in the QTE sequence, thus ending the first phase of the fight, so it only happens once. Still though, got my seeing red trophy ;-).

Mesijs

Just received this baby as well and I'm loving it. Already played through God of War earlier but it looks incredibly sharp on my HDTV now... It's as good as I remember and I'll blaze through at this rate. :D

The good thing is I didn't play God of War II yet so I guess I'm in for a surprise. Really looking forward to it!

Just a practical ingame question... I'm at the Athens Square level and about to walk into the mountains... but I see two very taunting boxes at the right. It's after the balancing thing above the square. They're too high to jump to from beneath but I also can't seem to reach them from the higher point... nor do I see any other possibility to get to them. Does anybody have a clue? Until now I've found a lot of boxes already.

Combichristoffersen

Mesijs said:
Just a practical ingame question... I'm at the Athens Square level and about to walk into the mountains... but I see two very taunting boxes at the right. It's after the balancing thing above the square. They're too high to jump to from beneath but I also can't seem to reach them from the higher point... nor do I see any other possibility to get to them. Does anybody have a clue? Until now I've found a lot of boxes already.

Kind of difficult to explain what to do, but you go to the edge of the 'platform' (after you've crossed the balancing beam), jump out from the 'platform', turn around in the air and press X again to do a double jump to make Kratos hang on to the edge. Then you go as far as possible towards the right, and jump off towards the area with the chests, which will make Kratos grab the edge. Now you can pull up and open them.

Here's a video to give you a better idea of what to do

Edit: And yeah, you should definitely be in for a treat w/ GoW II, it's everything that GoW is, only bigger and better (maybe except for the plotline) :)

Mesijs

I got it from your explanation but the video shows it nicely. Thanks a lot, didn't think about something like that in such a simplistic game. :D

But I'm just going to bed now because otherwise I would play this for way too long and be like shit at my work tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is there a way to jump into God Mode first? Kinda too bad my PS2 saves don't register on my 60gb. Really wanted to dive into the Hardest difficulties.

Mesijs

I'm quite far in the game already (
challenge of Hades
) and I'm loving it like the first time I played. Game feels just so perfect and brutal, I could play this all day. Will finish it soon!

Hopefully I'll find all the Phoenix Feathers. I'm missing about 3 still, I think.

Combichristoffersen

Brandon F said:
Is there a way to jump into God Mode first? Kinda too bad my PS2 saves don't register on my 60gb. Really wanted to dive into the Hardest difficulties.

No, you have to complete the game once to unlock god mode difficulty.

Mesijs

I'm now in the de
pths of Hades
. Loving it like before! Damn this game is incredible. Loving every single bit as much as when I played it the 1st time. Still part 2 to go, never played it before! :D Probably will finish this one tomorrow and then giving a shot at the Challenge of the Gods.

reminder

Combichristoffersen said:
The spinning blades were a nuisance at first, but as soon as I got the hang of it, they actually weren't that bad. But yeah, the final phase of the final boss is just fucking cheap bullshit. I'd gone through the game on normal difficulty up to the final boss, but I just couldn't beat the asshole, so I had to switch to easy :(

Haha, just like me. The best thing was, that i've tried it so many times on normal, but after switching to easy, i finished him within 2 minutes :lol The difference between normal and easy in this battle was so huge.

Combichristoffersen

reminder said:
Haha, just like me. The best thing was, that i've tried it so many times on normal, but after switching to easy, i finished him within 2 minutes :lol The difference between normal and easy in this battle was so huge.

Yeah :lol: I did actually manage to beat him on normal when I completed GoW again last week, as this time I had maxed out my health and magic. His second form was still a pain in the ass, but after a couple of tries I managed to kill him :D

KanZolo

It's available for pre-order at 7-11

Seriously. Check out this poster (28″ x 8.875) you get for doing so.

2z4bclv.jpg

Picked this up as a xmas gift from a friend with a $25 off gift card. Nice.

I'm really digging GoW1, and it looks damn nice on my set. Crisp, clean, solid framerate. Love it.

Now I'm also seeing what so many games have copied from it, and more importantly, why. And to think I had a lot of fun with Conan ;P

If I had things my way, we'd see a lot more of these previous gen games remastered like this. I don't need every single game out there to be a graphics showcase. Just give me a solid framerate, great animations, perfect controls and image quality that doesn't break at the seams on a 42"++ screen.

Something I noticed in GoW 2, right before you
trigger the cutscene with the Barbarian boss battle, there are 2 chests, how the hell do you get to them?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mysticstylez said:
Something I noticed in GoW 2, right before you
trigger the cutscene with the Barbarian boss battle, there are 2 chests, how the hell do you get to them?

You can go back to that area at a later time, don't worry. Just keep them in mind.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
You can go back to that area at a later time, don't worry. Just keep them in mind.

Correct, that chest is one of the
3 UBER chests in the game. Youll need to get it and the other 2 if you are shooting for a Platinum.

krae_man

Just have the Challange of the Titans left to Plat God of War 2.

This forth challange is pissing me off.

I know I beat this on PS2, I just need to come up with a game plan.

krae_man

Okay, now I'm on the last Challange of the Titans.

It was kicking my ass so I looked up some youtube videos for Stratagy. Every time I play a cyclops shows up and none do in the youtube videos.

What gives?

PS2 limitations there may be, but the Hydra still hasn't been matched, in presentation or design. The thing just looks and sounds nasty, in an awesome way. Sort of a bummer that it's the highlight of the game.

So I ended up buying the game (it also happened to luckily still have a GoW3 demo code). I kind of hate the God of War games, I beat the first one back when it came out and didn't bother with the second. But playing through the tutorial for GoW reminded me what I did like about the game...the slick boss battles. Hopefully playing through it again will change my distaste for the series.

By the way, it really sucks that the in-game cutscenes weren't cleaned up. It's so jarring going from that pretty game of me killing the Hydra to that ugly cinematic of the Hydra getting impaled.

KAOz

Short bus special
krae_man said:

It was kicking my ass so I looked up some youtube videos for Stratagy. Every time I play a cyclops shows up and none do in the youtube videos.

What gives?

You are waiting too long. Kill the Magicians as soon as possible so they can't spawn the cyclops.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
krae_man said:

What gives?

Ok, heres how you beat the last one...

Kill all the skeletons except one, and for the last one, leave him with a O above his head. While he's like that, walk to the upper left so you're behind the rock monster and immediately start spamming your lightning attack. After a few seconds move so you're not exactly behind him or you will get hit when he starts spinning around in a circle...keep spamming the lightning attack. If you did it right, the rock monster should have the O above his head just as you run out of magic. Do the sequence and kill the rock monster. The lone skeleton should still be walking around with a O above his head. Kill him.

Now you will be able to only fight the magicians and the troll monsters. The circle button is all you need to beat them. Immediately go after any magician you see. Go up and grab them with circle and mash the button to knock them down. If a troll guy gets close, again...grab with circle and throw him down then as soon as he gets up repeat circle and throw him down again. Repeat that process and after 3 times (i think) youll do a kill move with circle instead of throwing him. Just watch your back and repeat that process attacking a wizard as soon as you see one, and throwing the troll guys. Remember...all you need is circle for the last part!!!! Good luck.

eznark

Banned
Playing through this right now. I was pretty unimpressed with God of War until I got out of Athens, where it really picks up. I was loving the game.

Now I am in Hates trying to climb these pillars (after dealing with a bunch of other cheap, poorly designed bullshit) and I am pretty sure I'll never play another God of War game in my life.

kikanny

eznark said:
Playing through this right now. I was pretty unimpressed with God of War until I got out of Athens, where it really picks up. I was loving the game.

Now I am in Hates trying to climb these pillars (after dealing with a bunch of other cheap, poorly designed bullshit) and I am pretty sure I'll never play another God of War game in my life.
Don't give up. I know the Hades level was poorly designed and frustrating. But the series is truly awesome. God of War 2 improves and fixes a lot of issues from the first one. There are no frustrating parts like these.

eznark

Banned
Just beat the game. Hades left a really sour taste in my mouth, which is a real shame. Also, changing the whole game mechanic for the final part of the boss battle? Really??

Overall though I did like it. I'll give the second one a chance in a week or so I guess.

krae_man

Cool, I figured it had something to do with the Magicians. I knew about the hit nothing but circle thing and I tried going after the magicians first but I get unlucky. Those axe dudes end up attacking at the exact moment I push the magician back and am vulnerable for a split second.

The orb exploit after Euryale...I played that for oh about three hours last night.

Instead of using the electricity magic to build up combos, I did this:

I grabbed the enemy at the left then triangle
The enemy in the middle should be just spawning > grab him and press triangle
The enemy on the right should be done spawning > grab him and press triangle
The enemy in the middle should be just spawning > grab him and press triangle
The enemy on the far left should scream when you are killing the middle enemy and will be ready to attack (pressing circle twice helps make sure you grab him before he attacks)

Rinse and repeat

I went from Level 3 to Level 4 Blades (8,000 or so orbs)

side note: you can link the combos, I tried getting up to 100 hits on combos but failed.

Each successful grab kill only gives you 5 orbs, any way other than this to rack up mega orbs? (other than the electric magic and roll)

krae_man

Okay, Now I can Kill the Skeletons easy and the boss dude easy. I can Normally kill the first magician fine but I keep on getting atacked right after I finish a circle attack.

Top Bottom