• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

jvm

Gamasutra.
Definitely getting my first platinum in God of War 2. I finished everything up except the gorgon eyes. According to GameFAQs I can finish that up before the battle with Euryale.

After the Boss Batch 3 glitch, I figured I'd pass but I'm so close now. If only vacation weren't over...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Did the Challenge of the Titans last nite in GOW2. I found these challenges much harder than the Challenges in GOW. Anyhow, glad that's over...

Just have to get the 3 Uber Chests in GOW2 then i will have platinum'd both GOW, and GOW II!!!!

Playing my new game + as Cod of War on my quest for the Uber chests, and i have the urns activated too. Unlimited magic, and unlimited rage of the gods. Awesome stuff....

GuardianE said:
This is one of the harder fights on Titan mode, especially since it's before you get your Barbarian Hammer. Check out my FAQ on Gamefaqs.com, though some of the stratgies might be outdated now.

I have been using your FAQ and still can't beat it.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
I have been using your FAQ and still can't beat it.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

It's a tough one. You can use Rage of the Titans a little more liberally during that phase, I think. It's pretty aggravating since the Minotaurs give so few magic orbs. I haven't tried this, but does killing them without the context sensitive attack yield more? Doesn't seem like it would, but it's something I never thought of doing.

snap0212

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Did the Challenge of the Titans last nite in GOW2. I found these challenges much harder than the Challenges in GOW. Anyhow, glad that's over...
Really? Haven't tried them yet but I already freaked out about the Challenge of the Gods. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
snap0212 said:
Really? Haven't tried them yet but I already freaked out about the Challenge of the Gods. :(

Challenge of the Titans is much less stressful because you don't have to do it all in one sitting. Difficulty is subjective, but the ability to come back to the game at a later time and finish up your progress is really helpful in Titans.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
Challenge of the Titans is much less stressful because you don't have to do it all in one sitting. Difficulty is subjective, but the ability to come back to the game at a later time and finish up your progress is really helpful in Titans.

I did it all last night, but i agree...allowing you to save after you beat each challenge is great. I hated that you were forced to do all 10 in the first game in one sitting....

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I did it all last night, but i agree...allowing you to save after you beat each challenge is great. I hated that you were forced to do all 10 in the first game in one sitting....

You really can save between each challenge ? Damn, that's all the difficulty gone. So the GoW Collection is two easy platinum indeed !

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Yeah, I'm obsessive too. I had to sit down and go through every single challenge in one sitting, but the luxury of being able to save and leave isn't beyond me.

crispyben

I'm at the Palace of Fates in GoW II, how long do I have until I'm done? I'm enjoying myself, but I also want to start my AC II playthrough...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
crispyben said:
I'm at the Palace of Fates in GoW II, how long do I have until I'm done? I'm enjoying myself, but I also want to start my AC II playthrough...

Palace of the Fates. You visit so many places, I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly where you are. Which boss did you just kill? :lol

obaidr

Banned
playing god of war 2 now. This game is unbelievable. The first scene with Pegasus looks better then 90% of next gen games and everytime i play that scene i do not know the cutscene is already over. Besides this is indeed and still one of the best games ever made. It takes it self as a game and it, let me call it gamish character, extremely serious. It uses every chance to be a game which needs to be played rather then a hollywood scene which you visit and explorer a little bit go get to know it. The only other case which I see the same happening is Uncharted 2 which also trys to be gamish when every possible but this fits much better to GoW then to U2.

crispyben

GuardianE said:
Palace of the Fates. You visit so many places, I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly where you are. Which boss did you just kill? :lol
Past
Icarus and then Atlas
, thanks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
crispyben said:
Past
Icarus and then Atlas
, thanks.

You've got a good hour and a half left, I'd say. Give or take. A ways to go for you... and a whole lotta boss fights. Don't quit yet!

crispyben

GuardianE said:
You've got a good hour and a half left, I'd say. Give or take. A ways to go for you... and a whole lotta boss fights. Don't quit yet!
Thanks, that means at least two hours given my clumsy playstyle! Fortunately, I have a lot of red orbs to spend... Zeus, here I come :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finally got my US import of the GoW collection :D Even though I'm playing on a SD set, the graphics are definitely much cleaner and smoother in GoW I (haven't tested GoW II yet) than its PS2 counterpart. I already own the PS2 versions of both games, but couldn't pass on the possibility of having both games on the same BD disc (as my PS3 is non-BC). Now, if only Konami and Square would do the same for Silent Hill 1-3 and FF XII respectively..

Why For?

Banned
I got the touch last night bithces!!!! YEAH!!!!

Just need 2 more trophies for Platinum, then I can get stuck into God of War 2 again.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How long does each game take to finish on average?

BTW God of War Collection is $30 on amazon right now.

ShinAmano

So just completed the collection which was my first time with either God of War title.

They both were pretty fun and I am looking forward to part 3 (when does it hit?).

Anyhow I beat GoW on God mode...just beat GoWII on God mode...didn't know if I wanted to bother with Titan mode...should I? Is there anything worth doing it for...I know you can then play as
Athena
...is it just a skin or a new character...does it change anything?

I did not get all the
Urns (got zero) or Gorgon Eyes (only got 4 or 5)
...should I bother?

Reason I ask is because I want to pick up Bayonetta (360) or NSMB (Wii)...and before that I will have to finish Arkham Asylum and then I planned on playing Darksiders at some point.

/Rant

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShinAmano said:
So just completed the collection which was my first time with either God of War title.

They both were pretty fun and I am looking forward to part 3 (when does it hit?).

Anyhow I beat GoW on God mode...just beat GoWII on God mode...didn't know if I wanted to bother with Titan mode...should I? Is there anything worth doing it for...I know you can then play as
Athena
...is it just a skin or a new character...does it change anything?

I did not get all the
Urns (got zero) or Gorgon Eyes (only got 4 or 5)
...should I bother?

Reason I ask is because I want to pick up Bayonetta (360) or NSMB (Wii)...and before that I will have to finish Arkham Asylum and then I planned on playing Darksiders at some point.

/Rant

Part III hits in March, I believe?

I wouldn't have even bothered playing GoWII on God mode. The difference between God Mode and Titan Mode in GoWII is like night and day. Play the first level on Titan Mode and you'll see what I mean. It's not really worth it for anything more than bragging rights... and since there's no trophy associated with it, there's little point now. You do get that new skin though (hilarious in certain cutscenes because it still has Kratos' voice).

Only get the Urns and Gorgon eyes if you care about Trophies. (You only need two Urns for the trophy anyway) It's relatively easy to do in New Game Plus, and it's fun absolutely flying through the game because you're overpowered.

ShinAmano

GuardianE said:
Part III hits in March, I believe?

I wouldn't have even bothered playing GoWII on God mode. The difference between God Mode and Titan Mode in GoWII is like night and day. Play the first level on Titan Mode and you'll see what I mean. It's not really worth it for anything more than bragging rights... and since there's no trophy associated with it, there's little point now. You do get that new skin though (hilarious in certain cutscenes because it still has Kratos' voice).

Only get the Urns and Gorgon eyes if you care about Trophies. (You only need two Urns for the trophy anyway) It's relatively easy to do in New Game Plus, and it's fun absolutely flying through the game because you're overpowered.
Yeah I did fire up bonus mode to see one of the outfits and beat the first level in no time...funny I used the blades in my first run and never touched the other weapons...the sword is sweet fully charged up. Thanks for the heads up.

crispyben

Wow. Finally beat GoW II, which I thought looked rather amazing, then I tried the GoW III demo for the first time, and all I could say/think was "Holy shit!" :lol I'm so glad this Collection allowed to experience these gems. Now I'll move on to AC II and come back to Kratos in March :D

So...

I bought this game to finally play these games for the firt time and wow....

So Hard (maybe beacause I started in hard???):lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Zmart said:
So...

I bought this game to finally play these games for the firt time and wow....

So Hard (maybe beacause I started in hard???):lol

If you're planning on platinum'ing these, if you think the games hard, wait until you have to do the Challenge of the Gods, and Challenge of the Titans extras....

Cruzader

Banned
Beat GOW a few week ago. Sadly I was missing around 1000 red orbs to max out my last weapon and didnt get the trophy :( Sucks because it took me roughly 7 hours to beat and I opened up most, if not all, red chests and beat all the enemies. This sucks donkey balls. Since I beat both games back in the day, I never felt that compelled to beat GOW. I got a "meh" feeling.

Started GOW2 but again, not too excited or anything about it. Sucks since I want to get both platinums but the games just feel a little "dull" since current gen have spoiled me.

Kweh

I never did finish the first GoW, could never beat the final part where you
protect your wife and son from the waves of enemies
and I still can't do it now on GoW Collection.

I just eventually get overwhelmed. Any tips?

snap0212

Kweh said:

It's your daughter. :p (Or is it?!?)

Kweh said:

If you have the Rage of the Gods avaible, try to unleash it and make good use of your infinite mana during this time. Unleash Poseidon's Rage beacause the area is little and the zone range is very effective. If you don't have time for a third rage, throw the army of hades and then, fight. KEEP some mana to kill the distant enemies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kweh said:

What do you currently have leveled? If you have Level 5 Blades of Chaos, there's a super easy way if you're having a hard time:

Use Plume of Prometheus (square, square, triangle) over and over so that the explosion hits around your family. You can also hit Square, Square, Hold Square to clear some room. It's okay if your family gets hit a little bit.

Once the house starts to break apart, use Army of Hades and keep attacking. While Army of Hades is going, you can perform throws to instantly kill the clones. Use up all of your magic. Activate Rage of the Gods, then use Army of Hades. While Army of Hades is going, use Poseidon's Rage twice, then use Army of Hades again (level 5 BoC give unlimited magic with Rage of the Gods).

After Rage of the Gods is over, hug your family. Hugging your family will give you Rage of the Gods meter. Let them get hit and you can hug them again. Once you have Rage of the Gods meter again, use it, then perform the magic cycle again.

crispyben

Cruzader said:
Beat GOW a few week ago. Sadly I was missing around 1000 red orbs to max out my last weapon and didnt get the trophy :( Sucks because it took me roughly 7 hours to beat and I opened up most, if not all, red chests and beat all the enemies. This sucks donkey balls. Since I beat both games back in the day, I never felt that compelled to beat GOW. I got a "meh" feeling.
If you have a save not too long before the final boss fight, you can abuse the end of the first phase: you will have to press two buttons to trigger the cutscene, but if you only press the first one, you get a lot of red orbs, and you can repeat the cycle ad nauseam. That's how I maxed out everything!

Paznos

Finally got both Platinum trophies now had to play GoW2 again because I missed the first and 3rd uber chests, should have looked at a guide and the Boss Batch 3 trophy didn't unlock until the 2nd playthrough good thing it only took 4 1/2 to 5 hours so it wasn't to bad.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
crispyben said:
If you have a save not too long before the final boss fight, you can abuse the end of the first phase: you will have to press two buttons to trigger the cutscene, but if you only press the first one, you get a lot of red orbs, and you can repeat the cycle ad nauseam. That's how I maxed out everything!

Thats exactly how i did it too.

Oddly enough i had more than enough orbs in GOW2 to max all my stuff in my first playthrough to not even need one of these exploits.

OmniGamer

Oh man, i'm glad i'm finally playing these games!

Way back when, I got a demo disk of GOW1 for the PS2 courtesy of my Playstation Underground membership. Played it, loved every bit of it, but never got to actually get it($$$ reasons), same with GOW2. Even missed out on the GH editions, so when I heard of Collection, i knew immediately I was going to get it.

Before that though, my friend just happened to let me borrow his PS2 GOW1. Played it, beat it, loved it. Then on Christmas one of my brothers(usually good for nothing) happened to ask me if there was any game that i wanted, so i said GOW Collection...to my surprise he shows up the next day with it! :D

I immediately dig into GOW1 again. Then when my friend came back we started playing GOW2 and we beat it in 2 days.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to replay GOW1 to get that blasted max out all weapons and magic trophy(or at least start from way back as use the Ares trick, only 4 puny save slots WTF!). I actually have a save right at the area for the infinite orbs trick, but my damn Blades of Chaos are too strong, I kill the harpy immediately :(

I love these games...they had to have been designed with the motto "You didn't think it was going to be that easy, did you?". Just when you get the camera pan of what you have to do/where you have to go, and start doing it, something(s) pops up and makes the goal that much trickier. Awesome!

This all came at the right time...i've been out of gaming for a while and i'm having a great time again. I've already pre-ordered GOWIII Ultimate Edition...that's one benefit to not buying that many games, I can easily justify the splurging on the special editions i really care about!

Raw64life

Played through both of these games for the first time. Just finished GOW2 yesterday. Great games. It was annoying not being able to control the camera at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. And I would've been pissed at that GOW2 ending if I had played it back in 2007 when GOW3 wasn't two months from release.

I finally finished GOW2 yesterday. Motherfucker! What a game!

So let me get this straight (regarding the ending):

When does Kratos exactly reach Zeus/Helios/Hades with Gaia? I mean timeline wise. Kratos pulled Gaia and the Titans from their destruction by Young Zeus so I was just wondering when exactly does he attack Zeus... before or after the destruction of Sparta, and before or after the death of Athena?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
shagg_187 said:

When does Kratos exactly reach Zeus/Helios/Hades with Gaia? I mean timeline wise. Kratos pulled Gaia and the Titans from their destruction by Young Zeus so I was just wondering when exactly does he attack Zeus... before or after the destruction of Sparta, and before or after the death of Athena?

After on both counts.

Combichristoffersen

Just got past the
human sacrifice
in GoW. Jesus is that shit frustrating as all Hell. And now I have to get past the shitty
moving wall of spikes
underwater, which, when I first completed GoW on PS2, made me rage so hard I bit my DS2. There's still a bite mark on the controller.

ShinAmano

shagg_187 said:

From what I gather (just beat the game myself) it is right after the fight you just won.

Jcdragon

Finished GoW 1 and got my first platinum today. Soo good. I'll wait a couple of days before starting GoW2.

Combichristoffersen said:
Just got past the
human sacrifice
in GoW. Jesus is that shit frustrating as all Hell. And now I have to get past the shitty
moving wall of spikes
underwater, which, when I first completed GoW on PS2, made me rage so hard I bit my DS2. There's still a bite mark on the controller.

Try using the Dash move (R1) non stop until you get to any of the gaps on the ground and quickly dive down. When the spike wall passes you, swim up and dash to the next gap.

Hope that helps

Combichristoffersen

Jcdragon said:
Try using the Dash move (R1) non stop until you get to any of the gaps on the ground and quickly dive down. When the spike wall passes you, swim up and dash to the next gap.

Hope that helps

Yeah, I know you're supposed to use the dash move, but it's still a pain in the ass :lol It did go far smoother than the first time I played GoW though.

I think the only real problems I had with God of War I were:

- fucking spinning bladed column of death in Hades;
- horribly frustrating final phase of
Ares boss battle

I'm still dreading the latter as I approach it while I play the collection. They
take away your shit
, and he has a bunch of cheesy moves. In fact, I could use a tactic to beat him easily, as I really don't want to suffer through that this time. Anyone?

Combichristoffersen

RedRedSuit said:
I think the only real problems I had with God of War I were:

- fucking spinning bladed column of death in Hades;
- horribly frustrating final phase of
Ares boss battle

I'm still dreading the latter as I approach it while I play the collection. They
take away your shit
, and he has a bunch of cheesy moves. In fact, I could use a tactic to beat him easily, as I really don't want to suffer through that this time. Anyone?

The spinning blades were a nuisance at first, but as soon as I got the hang of it, they actually weren't that bad. But yeah, the final phase of the final boss is just fucking cheap bullshit. I'd gone through the game on normal difficulty up to the final boss, but I just couldn't beat the asshole, so I had to switch to easy :(

RedRedSuit said:
In fact, I could use a tactic to beat him easily, as I really don't want to suffer through that this time. Anyone?
There's a move where you lock blades with him, and if you correctly do the QTE it both damages him a lot and stuns him, letting you get another lick in. You just have to be careful because
since you share a life meter
, you can't make any mistakes between applications.

I don't remember how exactly to do this move, but I'm sure GameFAQs etc. can tell you. It's how I got my recent platinum on the Collection.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ShinAmano said:
From what I gather (just beat the game myself) it is right after the fight you just won.

Regarding that, isn't the ending cutscene skipping ahead a fair bit? (Ending spoilers)
You see them pretty much arriving at the temple, having already climbed mount Olympus, but from what I've gathered that's exactly what GoW III is supposed to be about (Kratos and the titans making their way up the mountain, fighting gods along the way).

Top Bottom