• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Dev Sony Santa Monica Studio Has ‘Several Unannounced Titles’ In The Works

Topher

Gold Member
Sony Santa Monica Studio, the developer behind the God of War franchise, has numerous unannounced projects in the pipeline, according to the LinkedIn profile of Albertina Chu, a senior manager at the company.

Chu’s resume mentions that she is working on several unannounced titles, and it is believed that the studio has divided into two teams, much how Naughty Dog did back in 2009 with development of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and The Last of Us.

The following is an outline of Chu’s responsibilities that specifically mentions the unannounced projects.

U1YfopY.png

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about a new project at Sony Santa Monica, as back in July this year it was revealed the company was hiring for multiple roles for an undisclosed title(s). Back in November 2023, the God of War creator also took on former Gears of War franchise narrative director, Bonnie Jean Mah, as its new narrative director.

Looking Pedro Pascal GIF by HBO

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Sony Smash Bros lets fucking go!
They tried that.

If God of War then hopefully it's single player stuff with vast vistas and engaging difficulty. People want Egypt but it's a shame they'd never go to India, think how vibrant and fresh Hindu stuff would be after the north of Europe.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’m not looking forward to the future of God of War after the reboot and Ragnarok. I don’t like a number of the new characters that they’ve introduced into the series and I don’t like the changes they’ve made to Kratos’ character much either. At first it was novel and interesting to see him in a father role but over the two games he’s evolved into a boring character. And I’ve had my fill of the combat system. I don’t want to see it returning in its current form in the next game. I have a feeling it will though.

Last edited:

nial

Sony Smash Bros lets fucking go!
They actually co-developed PS All-Stars BR.
Also, joking is fine, but I hope people don't delude themselves into thinking that it's another GaaS, when Sony already confirmed that it's not.

StereoVsn

Cory Barlog has been working on his new game since... probably GoW 2018? He was a consultant at best in Ragnarök. So I think it's quite safe to assume it's not GoW. Given his history, very likely single-player. New IP, remains to be seen.
It’s going to be called “God of Equity”, a single-player / multiplayer fighting game where no matter the character you choose (see Concord for skin choices), the outcome of battle will be the same. 😉

Aenima

Wasn't Barlog's team working on a new IP, a space opera like Mass Effect?
They are working on a new IP but we dont know what it is yet. If they have 2 teams working in multiple projects then it should be the new IP Cory is directing and probably a new God of War, either a spinoff or a new main entry.

Santa Monica is not in the list of studios working in GAAS so whatever they working should all be single player games.

Last edited:

Mokus

In one of these projects a Greek Goddess will be the main protagonist, and most of the action will be on the Lesbos island.

nial

How likely is it that it's just a small team dedicated to "co-develop" (more like oversee) a new God of War project mainly made by another studio? Think of what Guerrilla is currently doing with LEGO Horizon Adventures, which is mainly developed by Studio Gobo.

Last edited:

Edmund

Seth Meyers Time GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

after Concord, Sony better show the goods, people are getting tired.

As much of a pony as I am, if Sony doesn't at least show Ghost of Tsushima 2 and update us what the fuck is going on at Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios soon, I'd be mighty pissed.

Fairgame$ might flop just as hard as Concord.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Meh, i would vastly prefer if all the team was making the new corey game, save the next gow for ps6.

hinch7

Meh, i would vastly prefer if all the team was making the new corey game, save the next gow for ps6.
Same. Though I'm kind of excited for the new IP from Cory.

Hopefuly he'll have some say in the upcoming and inevitable GoW sequel. Ragnarok was such a disappointment without his direction tbh.

Last edited:
It was 5 years between Ascension and Gow 2018 and 4 years between 2018 and Ragnarok. Only been 2 years since Ragnarok.
Barlog has been working on sth different since GoW2018 and SSM in general has continued to grow with the declared target to be a multi project studio since 2021.
If they still end up releasing only one game every 4-5 years management has utterly failed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Same. Though I'm kind of excited for the new IP from Cory.

Hopefuly he'll have some say in the upcoming and inevitable GoW sequel. Ragnarok was such a disappointment without his direction tbh.
I liked ragnarock well enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Barlog has been working on sth different since GoW2018 and SSM in general has continued to grow with the declared target to be a multi project studio since 2021.
If they still end up releasing only one game every 4-5 years management has utterly failed.

Especially being in LA, ramping up could have been derailed for awhile because of The Rona.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Sony will reveal the first party titles (if there are any, lol) for 2025 when the Pro gets announced.

hinch7

I liked ragnarock well enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I did too. Its mean a great game, a solid 8.5 at least. It just wasn't at 2018's level. Which for me, was a near perfect action game.

After waiting several years the whole thing kinda felt fairly anticlimatic. But thats just me lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom