• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game is massive. If you do all the side content, it will probably take you over 50 hours. ive been playing non stop for a week and the game just keeps going. Im starting to get a hint of fatigue so you will get bored of the game before it finishes.

Ive had that for a while. Im surprised so many people missed it. But it never triggers during boss battles and you basically need to pair it with the dodge realm shift mechanic which limits its use.

There is a waist armor piece that has a chance to drop a healthstone or a rage stone whenever you use a relic or a runic attack. It helps out somewhat. There is also that Axe that has a low perk chance to activate health regen but it has shit stats so not really usable after level 4.

I miss the squirrel that dropped healthstones, the runic blades attack that healed you from the last game. Even the R3 attack on stunned enemies that gives you a health burst is really cool but again its stats are so shit i dont want to waste materials leveling up something that wont even be good enough for end game bosses.

Im level 5 now and still have only beaten 2 beserkers. Some are just too hard so I will wait till I level up some more. I was really hoping that they had altered the light level system they borrowed from Destiny. It feels like im artificially being gated even though i do every single piece of side content including some very tough mini bosses. On one hand its good that hard remains challenging throughout but on the other hand, it doesnt feel as rewarding.

It is lol.
Probably not even the strongest, i'm starting to see crazy possible future builds with elemental build ups.

The rpg part really make my lizard brain work, i know people hate rpg stats in pure action games (even when they fucking buy an action rpg but whatever) but i just love that it is not just a simple brawler like the old ones and you have stuff behind to think about to maximize damage.

I still didn't tried the handle against bosses, why do you say it does not activate? Against enemies is basically like 1 times ever 3 usage or so.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why do i have a feeling i won't be enjoying any other game in a long time and that i'll be "depressed" once this experience is over? lmao

Same that happened with TLOU2 basically.
Evil west is out on 22 nov, probably the closest thing to gow for a while.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Later Atries levels are fucking awesome so thankfully its mostly just this one level. I would love to see who designed this level because its probably an ex-ND dev.

So when do I get Atreas' spirit summons back or whatever they are called, like the spirit wolves attack. Feels a bit weird that I start the game without a lot of the skills of last game without any explanation.
And people was breaking my balls because i call the boi little shit...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Probably not even the strongest, i'm starting to see crazy possible future builds with elemental build ups.

The rpg part really make my lizard brain work, i know people hate rpg stats in pure action games (even when they fucking buy an action rpg but whatever) but i just love that it is not just a simple brawler like the old ones and you have stuff behind to think about to maximize damage.
There is definitely potential here. I like the set bonuses. I asked for those in the last game.

Sadly, I have zero imagination and cant come up with any builds of my own. I need to be spoonfed builds on youtube but I dont want to google anything until im done with the story.

What arrows is everyone using? Purple or Green? I am still not sure how to trigger sonic explosions. They seem random to me. I even got the last upgrade to give Atreus 4 arrows but i rarely get enough hits into one enemy to cause explosions. Just use purple arrows to give myself a poison damage bonus.

The game is super stingy with upgrade parts so i feel like im locked into the same gear. Wish you could craft Asgardian ignot and Petrified Bone from all the trash low level materials i am hoarding.

I also wish momentum was available on more skills. I love the L1+Triangle damage boost. It's my most used runic from the first game, so its great to see it untied from runic attacks, but I very rarely get to use it in non-mini boss fights because of all the trash mobs constantly jumping at me or throwing things at me from off screen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There is definitely potential here. I like the set bonuses. I asked for those in the last game.

Sadly, I have zero imagination and cant come up with any builds of my own. I need to be spoonfed builds on youtube but I dont want to google anything until im done with the story.

What arrows is everyone using? Purple or Green? I am still not sure how to trigger sonic explosions. They seem random to me. I even got the last upgrade to give Atreus 4 arrows but i rarely get enough hits into one enemy to cause explosions. Just use purple arrows to give myself a poison damage bonus.

The game is super stingy with upgrade parts so i feel like im locked into the same gear. Wish you could craft Asgardian ignot and Petrified Bone from all the trash low level materials i am hoarding.

I also wish momentum was available on more skills. I love the L1+Triangle damage boost. It's my most used runic from the first game, so its great to see it untied from runic attacks, but I very rarely get to use it in non-mini boss fights because of all the trash mobs constantly jumping at me or throwing things at me from off screen.
I'm pretty shit at making builds aswell so they are not gonna be optimized like the one on yt, but i still have fun trying to make them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do i have a feeling i won't be enjoying any other game in a long time and that i'll be "depressed" once this experience is over? lmao

Evil west is out on 22 nov, probably the closest thing to gow for a while.
The Calisto Protocol is coming next month as well. Should be pretty decent production wise, if horror is your thing.

Markio128

Gold Member
I stuck with the time-slowing portal as my L1 O ability. It’s really handy once upgraded, especially when getting peppered by multiple enemies at once. I tend to use it to get rid of the runts of the litter, so I can concentrate solely on any tough nuts.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Im level 5 now and still have only beaten 2 beserkers.

I just fought one for the first time in Midgard as a lvl 4

Ended up beating it after 30 minutes but it was a pain in the ass, basically had to be near perfect with parries and dodges. Got killed multiple times in the heat of battle trying to dash left or right only to dash forward into the attack

I wish the game had more i-frames during certain moves or attacks, it can be really punishing since the berserker can 2 shot kill you in a combo sequence

I just got to level 5 now with
a new weapon
so I wonder how much easier they will be now

I’ve only seen one other gravestone in Vanaheim though

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just fought one for the first time in Midgard as a lvl 4

Ended up beating it after 30 minutes but it was a pain in the ass, basically had to be near perfect with parries and dodges. Got killed multiple times in the heat of battle trying to dash left or right only to dash forward into the attack

I wish the game had more i-frames during certain moves or attacks, it can be really punishing since the berserker can 2 shot kill you in a combo sequence
Tried the Lake of Nine Berserker at level 4 the other day when I first got the handle, got them down to about 1/4 health, then noped out of it after getting stomped. I will come back to them much later on, lol.

ebevan91

Something that kinda annoys me is that I thought I was about to simply just finish a main quest and be able to continue it later when I wanted but nope, now I'm stuck doing 2 more main quests when I really wanted to just do more side quests. I feel like I'm unintentionally rushing through the main quest.

Stuck in Asgard/Muspelheim as Atreus now :/

GymWolf

Gold Member
The Calisto Protocol is coming next month as well. Should be pretty decent production wise, if horror is your thing.
Not talking about production values, also who doesn't know about callisto in a nerd forum? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Evil west seems kinda similar in structure\combat.

Close camera, small fov, mix of melee and ranged, violence, few weapons with skill trees, juggling enemies in the air, badass muscly protagonist etc.

Callisto should be a survival horror so limited bullets and not arcadey\fast paced.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I stuck with the time-slowing portal as my L1 O ability. It’s really handy once upgraded, especially when getting peppered by multiple enemies at once. I tend to use it to get rid of the runts of the litter, so I can concentrate solely on any tough nuts.
Wait, there is also a talisman for bullet time like in the first game?

Fiuuu, i thought i was forced to use the armour that grant that power until the end of the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not talking about production values, also who doesn't know about callisto in a nerd forum? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Evil west seems kinda similar in structure\combat.

Close camera, small fov, mix of melee and ranged, violence, few weapons with skill trees, juggling enemies in the air, badass muscly protagonist etc.

Callisto should be a survival horror so limited bullets and not arcadey\fast paced.
I was just excited to mention it :messenger_squinting_tongue:

One of my most anticipated games so far after this one.

Last edited:

scydrex

Got to Midgar for the first time yesterday still on god of war difficulty... almost changed to no mercy but not yet. They enemy attack you from everywhere and not even a combo you can pull.

I think if most of the first 30-40% of the game had been cut or put into optional bits this would be my GOTY by a mile. The game feels like it starts like 15-20 hours in and people are definitely right that the quality difference between the start (other than one boss fight) and the end is huge.

Gear is so rare at the start too then all of a sudden you are inundated with stuff.

I'm still not loving the difference between trash fights which I typically get through in a few seconds (on No Mercy) and bigger fights or optional bosses which feel about right. The difficulty is still bugged as I thought I dropped it to do one of the optional super bosses that was a few levels over me as I couldn't be arsed to come back later but after I went to turn it back it hadn't changed so it was obviously just me playing more aggressively.

OZ9000

Banned
Yes, this. I'd rather replay a greatly paced 10 hour game 3 times then play through a 30 hour slog which I will never touch again after seening the credits.
Same here.

I personally think there is so much irrelevant padding in this game.

It could badly use a director's cut.

I'm 10 hours in but apparently only 30% in the game? The game feels like a chore to play.

I've now reached Vanaheim.

They could have easily cut half of that "content" away lol.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

I could just feel that they would replace those 12 valkyries with something else this time around . That's where the difficulty balance of the game shows its ugly face once again where "easy" difficulty actually becomes your average "hard" in other games for no appearant reason . I appreciate the challenge but those on easy, give me a break 😅

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I could just feel that they would replace those 12 valkyries with something else this time around . That's where the difficulty balance of the game shows its ugly face once again where "easy" difficulty actually becomes your average "hard" in other games for no appearant reason . I appreciate the challenge but those on easy, give me a break 😅
They are meant for end-game content when you're fully loaded up to the max.

K' Dash

Same here.

I personally think there is so much irrelevant padding in this game.

It could badly use a director's cut.

I'm 10 hours in but apparently only 30% in the game? The game feels like a chore to play.

I've now reached Vanaheim.

They could have easily cut half of that "content" away lol.

I'm liking the game but this stuff bring it down, 2018 was more focused and better paced, this is all over the place and not fun to explore IMHO.

Solid 7 so far.

Edit: the combat is nothing, NOTHING like Sekiro, what the hell are you guys smoking?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No LV 4 wall whatsoever for me. Got smoothly to LV 5 at the first workbench right after getting the
You must not have explored the realms fully. Yes, you level 5 thanks to that story mission but there are three new open worlds to explore after you hit level 4 which makes it feel like forever. Vanaheim, Alfheim 2, and Midgard. Thats a a good 15-20 hours of content.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I'm liking the game but this stuff bring it down, 2018 was more focused and better paced, this is all over the place and not fun to explore IMHO.

Solid 7 so far.

Edit: the combat is nothing, NOTHING like Sekiro, what the hell are you guys smoking?
The combat feels like a downgrade from God of War 2018.

Do we unlock a move which allows you to throw the axe, and then recall and slam in one hit? Combat was much smoother in the previous games due to this.

I was just doing some side content...

and found the real Tyr. Like WTF.

This game keeps giving me cool side content that feels pretty much part of the main story. Feels like a game that everything in it has some relevant context to the main game.

Vick

Gold Member
You must not have explored the realms fully. Yes, you level 5 thanks to that story mission but there are three new open worlds to explore after you hit level 4 which makes it feel like forever. Vanaheim, Alfheim 2, and Midgard. Thats a a good 15-20 hours of content.
What I meant is that there was no hard wall holding me in the same place forever, like I though you were saying. Leveling was always smooth and gradual for me, and I absolutely did explored all it could be explored, collected every item could be collected and defeated everything encountered minus Bersekers which I'm leaving for the endgame. 48+ hours right now and that's the last main mission I did.

Game's really hard this point by the way, the complete opposite GMGOW experience of GoW 2018. This starts easy and becomes harder and harder no matter how much you upgrade. I got back to the mines to collect the stuff I couldn't get before and most encounters here were one-hit-kill brutality.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Every time I get to a draugr hole, it's 30+ minutes of being absolutely pummeled.
Those gave me the least issues of high game content surprisingly (except for the Vanaheim one early on). The light elf beast out of the rifts on the other hand. But I adapted and changed my Spartan Rage back to Fury instead of Valor and faired much better against the blinding elf.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I completely got this after Elden Ring and gow 2018 so I'm kinda hoping for it with this.

...last of us 2 just made me depressed lol

Maybe it's just you. I'm enjoying it

Stop playing if you don't like the game. Every post you have is a nitpick or complaint. I tend to not play things that bother me. Waste of time and energy.

Many people were hyped for the game, me included. It is ok for folks to criticize and feel annoyed by issues they have with the game. I hated the writing and story of Ragnarok, but I loved the core combat system which kept me engaged and wanting to see more. There are many reasons to play the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Many people were hyped for the game, me included. It is ok for folks to criticize and feel annoyed by issues they have with the game. I hated the writing and story of Ragnarok, but I loved the core combat system which kept me engaged and wanting to see more. There are many reasons to play the game.
Sure, but he seems to not like the gameplay either. To each is own. But he asked a question and I answered.

Do we unlock a move which allows you to throw the axe, and then recall and slam in one hit? Combat was much smoother in the previous games due to this.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Maybe it's just you. I'm enjoying it

Stop playing if you don't like the game. Every post you have is a nitpick or complaint. I tend to not play things that bother me. Waste of time and energy.
Check the post history. Is not worth it.

Nah that user got no benefit of thr doubt.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Started this game yesterday. It's full of too many fucking puzzles.

No wonder it's 50 hours long. They've padded the shit out of this by forcing you to play the game slowly.

It has taken me 8 hours to complete
Alfheim

I must say I liked God of War 2018 more. The combat in the previous game also seemed more varied. I remember I was able to quick switch between the axe and blades and there was more combos to do. So far I've only got a basic light attack rune and that's it.

Please tell me it gets better. The pacing of the game feels pretty bad so far. I was so hyped for this game but I can't help but feel disappointed.

100%. The FOV is fucking atrocious.

So many times I am attacked off screen.

Thank God for PC because the first thing I'll do is zoom the camera out IF I play this game again on the PC - though I have doubts since this game is so slow (the forced walking / excessive platforming and puzzles is boring).

Just completed that section right now and it's a complete snoozefest.

I think it took me 2 whole hours to go through that section.

Can someone please tell me the pacing of the game improves from here?

Is it me or is the writing in this game atrocious? The dialogue is not what I would expect at all - a definite step down from the previous game.

Who are you trying to fool here? Hope you bough physical, you should sell it right away.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh yeah!
xH12ie1_d.webp

BvEKvQz_d.webp

LAKl7E5_d.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom