• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök PC system requirements revealed

nial

That's the bigger problem. More so than no gens now. Studios have a harder time greenlighting huge AAA based on new IPs because it's a bigger risk.

I still can't believe just this year Sony released 2 of those: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. (and will release Concord...whether its good or not, that's a different story, it's still a new IP)
Them not being developed in the US, particularly California, helps. Which is why I'm up for more, bring on Lost Soul Aside already.

Last edited:

Braag

In that case I think the most likely scenario is that this isn't on PC and they're just storing the highest-resolution textures on the disk as they won't use neural upsampling. You get PS5-quality textures but without the benefit of saving up on space. Fingers crossed we get even better textures, but I ain't holding my breath.
I still prefer the old method of giving super high res textures as an optional download rather than not having them at all.
Higher res textured need a lot of Vram and SSD space, so having them as an option would be nice.

xVodevil

1rakA59.png

Okay so it's not 190 gigs of download at least I was a bit worried

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Really? Hm, i was looking forward to it honestly, MC score is 94 so it has to have some positives, right?

I absolutely loved the game. I understand that fans of the original greek mythology games dont like the new changes and direction, but for me it was the opposite. I never liked those games too much, just seemed mindless nonstop fighting to me (though, to be fair, I only played 3rd and PSP games in that series)- which is fun but nothing groundbreaking. At least thats what I thought.

These new games are much better IMO, and Ragnarök to me was Chef's kiss. Fun gameplay, interesting lore and characters, great graphics, amazing places to visit. Thats gaming for me.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I absolutely loved the game. I understand that fans of the original greek mythology games dont like the new changes and direction, but for me it was the opposite. I never liked those games too much, just seemed mindless nonstop fighting to me (though, to be fair, I only played 3rd and PSP games in that series)- which is fun but nothing groundbreaking. At least thats what I thought.

These new games are much better IMO, and Ragnarök to me was Chef's kiss. Fun gameplay, interesting lore and characters, great graphics, amazing places to visit. Thats gaming for me.
I was a HUGE fan of GoW 2018. Just hearing the first few notes of the soundtrack during the reveal of Ragnarök got me really excited. Then I played it. I would give it a 4/10

I wont elaborate because I'm lazy but I was SO disappointed.

Really? Hm, i was looking forward to it honestly, MC score is 94 so it has to have some positives, right?
It's the hype. The game is mediocre and I'm the first to be surprised how badly they messed up after such a masterpiece in 2018. It starts good, and then after a certain point everything is falling appart.

What a shame.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Where's this from? I'd like to see 1440p results. 4070 is comparable to a 3080 (without FG) so I could get a good idea how it runs on my machine.
Here you go:

god-of-war-ragnarok-geforce-rtx-2560x1440-nvidia-dlss-3-desktop-gpu-performance.png

4070 and super can't even hold 4k 60 on a ps4 game
It's one of the best looking game so of course it's demanding. Let's not pretend that because it released on PS4 it looked like shit.

It's still a very good game and if you like the first then you should definitely give it a shot although I don't think it's highs are as good as the first. It definitely has better enemy variety and the locations are amazing, combat is awesome too.

I didn't care for Atreus much. He was tolerable in the first game since he's just a young kid, in this he's an annoying teenager. It's also slow going at times and the end section wasn't quite as epic as I hoped it would be which kind of let it down a bit.

All in all though I had a great time with it and it's still my favourite PS5 game.

Here you go:

god-of-war-ragnarok-geforce-rtx-2560x1440-nvidia-dlss-3-desktop-gpu-performance.png

It's one of the best looking game so of course it's demanding. Let's not pretend that because it released on PS4 it looked like shit.
Thanks pal, this is good to know. It's definitely a looker and there's plenty going on so I'm happy with performance. I also imagine it's going to look far superior on PC with all the bells and whistles turned up. It also supports AMD frame gen which is a plus for those without 4000 series cards.

PaintTinJr

190gb!? I hope that's the disk space required and not the actual size of the game. I believe it was a little less than 100 on ps5 and that's with the DLC.
PS5 uses 4K(4096x4096) textures ML AI generate from the PS4 version 2K(2048x2048) textures which helped keep the size down.

Looks like these are native size textures on the PC version if the install is that much bigger.

Nice, I got my key from CdKeys (checked randomly) so I can preload it too. I really enjoyed the first game. I did see some gameplay of this, and it seemed good, but I hope the constant yapping at puzzles is toned down. Seems you didn't get a second to work it out without the game holding your hand like in Horizon FW.

Weirdly, I think I'm slightly more excited to try that rogue like dlc. Don't know much about it, but I think I heard there are some old enemies, etc so hopefully get some nostalgia joy from it.

Edit - My download size says 175.7gb on the game page, but atm the pre-load is 100.1gb

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Nice, I got my key from CdKeys (checked randomly) so I can preload it too. I really enjoyed the first game. I did see some gameplay of this, and it seemed good, but I hope the constant yapping at puzzles is toned down. Seems you didn't get a second to work it out without the game holding your hand like in Horizon FW.

Weirdly, I think I'm slightly more excited to try that rogue like dlc. Don't know much about it, but I think I heard there are some old enemies, etc so hopefully get some nostalgia joy from it.

Edit - My download size says 175.7gb on the game page, but atm the pre-load is 100.1gb
Pretty sure there is a setting for puzzle hints

kevboard

If you liked 2018, Ragnarok shouldn't disappoint you.

lol, absolutely it should.
2018 wasn't amazing or anything, but I really liked it

Ragnarök was so absolutely unbearable to me that I legitimately had to force myself to finish it.
they doubled down on slow walking sequences, doubled down on hand holding, doubled down on the wannabe drama, and barely improved the combat.

A friend of mine loved GoW 2018 (I simply liked it... he LOVED it), and he hated Ragnarök so much, he dropped it half way through.

so to say if someone liked 2018 that they would also like Ragnarök is absolutely false.
Ragnarök is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Actually, i've never played a God of War in my life.
If you have a PS3, I would start with the collection. If you don't and have a decent PC, I would honestly play the PS2 games on emulators. Otherwise, start with 2018. Ragnarok is the worst game in the series.

amigastar

If you have a PS3, I would start with the collection. If you don't and have a decent PC, I would honestly play the PS2 games on emulators. Otherwise, start with 2018. Ragnarok is the worst game in the series.
Got it, i will try to get GoW 2018, should be cheaper also than Ragnarok.

HogIsland

Ragnarok is incredible. It takes the cool ideas from 2018 and blows them up to an insane scale. The bar fight with Thor is one of the craziest set-pieces + combat encounters I've ever seen. Odin is spectacular as a villain. They turned a pretty one-note franchise into a rich, textured, ensemble cast.

My only critique is I started on hard and was getting creamed by bullshit enemies in the beginning of the game. I'd recommend starting on normal.

People upset by the Angrboda segment are not people you want to follow in life. They'll only lead you astray.

Last edited:
The game has some good highs, but it's a massive slog to get through. Way too big and meandering for its own good. Way too much slow walking, talking and squeezing through cracks. It's really a game that could have used some serious editing.

There's a whole (optional?) mid-game section that is pretty great though. It is pure gameplay with no boring shit. The crater kinda saved the game for me when I was most tired of its bullshit.

I don't think I'll be getting the PC version, simply because I'd rather play new stuff than a game that is too flawed, even if it has good worthwhile stuff in it.

Last edited:

sainraja

lol, absolutely it should.
2018 wasn't amazing or anything, but I really liked it

Ragnarök was so absolutely unbearable to me that I legitimately had to force myself to finish it.
they doubled down on slow walking sequences, doubled down on hand holding, doubled down on the wannabe drama, and barely improved the combat.

A friend of mine loved GoW 2018 (I simply liked it... he LOVED it), and he hated Ragnarök so much, he dropped it half way through.

so to say if someone liked 2018 that they would also like Ragnarök is absolutely false.
Ragnarök is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history.
That's your opinion. We have you and a few others who disliked Ragnarok telling him that; I can, just like you, tell him that he will enjoy Ragnarok due to 2018, because I enjoyed it. Opinions vary. Perfectly okay.
-
However, if someone strongly dislikes Ragnarok, then I think they should go back and re-play 2018 because Ragnarok isn't a reboot, it continues the format established with 2018.

Last edited:

keefged4

I'd just like to mirror what a few others have said. Whilst the overall game is good, It is a massive chore to go through and nowhere near as impactful or good as GOW 2018. Heavily debating whether or not I should double dip.

Mortisfacio

I'd just like to mirror what a few others have said. Whilst the overall game is good, It is a massive chore to go through and nowhere near as impactful or good as GOW 2018. Heavily debating whether or not I should double dip.

I'm personally not. I double dipped for 2018, but Rag wasn't as good.

Jaybe

This game is a poorly paced slog that I couldn’t wait to be done with. Hope PC players get a mod that lets cutscenes be skipped as well as Iron Wood.

Rivdoric

To those who pre-ordered : Are the exclusives (meeh) bonuses an individual DLC or not ?
If not this would be good news as this would allow everyone to access them with a simple save file post launch.

I hate these god aw full exclusives stuff. Man, we PC waited 2 years and they still FOMO us.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
I'm glad PC players are able to experience this masterpiece. There are some who don't like it, but overall it was a masterclass in storytelling, investment in characters and their development, and great combat mechanics/set pieces

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ragnarok is incredible. It takes the cool ideas from 2018 and blows them up to an insane scale.
Almost agreed. Walking becomes even more walking. Long and drawn-out cutscenes become even longer and drawn-out. Kratos becomes a pussy. Atreus is even more annoying, and the pacing is even more sluggish. Everything 2018 did wrong gets blown up to an insane scale too.

I'm glad PC players are able to experience this masterpiece. There are some who don't like it, but overall it was a masterclass in storytelling, investment in characters and their development, and great combat mechanics/set pieces
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is a lot to like here. Same great combat. Same great level design as the 2018 game, but it does get old very fast because we already played the first game for 40 hours. Alfheim, midgard and vanaheim open worlds are all so similar and by the numbers, you will get sick of it fast. The crater section is simply fantastic but comes way too late in the game.

The atrues sections are almost all walking and even when you get to be in combat, its simply bad. There is around 8 hours of this stuff and it kills the game's pacing.

Story is rather underwhelming. Kratos goes through a character assassination worse than anyone in Game of Thrones. So does Thor. Poor take on Odin as well.

Valhalla is the best thing about the game. Pure combat. no bullshit.

With all that said, 2022 was such a trash year that this was still my goty despite all the issues i had with it. just go in expecting an 75-80 instead of a 94 metacritic and you will be fine.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

There is a lot to like here. Same great combat. Same great level design as the 2018 game, but it does get old very fast because we already played the first game for 40 hours. Alfheim, midgard and vanaheim open worlds are all so similar and by the numbers, you will get sick of it fast. The crater section is simply fantastic but comes way too late in the game.

The atrues sections are almost all walking and even when you get to be in combat, its simply bad. There is around 8 hours of this stuff and it kills the game's pacing.

Story is rather underwhelming. Kratos goes through a character assassination worse than anyone in Game of Thrones. So does Thor. Poor take on Odin as well.

Valhalla is the best thing about the game. Pure combat. no bullshit.

With all that said, 2022 was such a trash year that this was still my goty despite all the issues i had with it. just go in expecting an 75-80 instead of a 94 metacritic and you will be fine.
giphy.gif

SBI

Top Bottom