• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök PC system requirements revealed

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The PS5 version had improved textures with a Neural Network upscaler.
But from what I understand, the upscaling was done during runtime. Not stored in disk.

In that case I think the most likely scenario is that this isn't on PC and they're just storing the highest-resolution textures on the disk as they won't use neural upsampling. You get PS5-quality textures but without the benefit of saving up on space. Fingers crossed we get even better textures, but I ain't holding my breath.

Tqaulity

Ok so for those interested in how these settings map to the PlayStation consoles:

Minimum => Base PS4 Experience
Recommended => PS4 Pro Experience
High => Base PS5 Experience
Performance => PS5 Pro Experience
Ultra = Max PC Experience

There is no RT in this game. Difference is really down to resolution and settings. And before you look at the PC GPU selections for each of these and say that they are higher than the console equivalent I outlined, just go back and look at the settings for all the previous PS Studio ports. They consistently specify "higher" PC GPU cards to be on par with equivalent console experiences.

I mean, I'm kinda excited for this...but it seems like not many folks like this game. What seems to be the issue?
"It's woooke"

Now seriously...the game seems like it was written by 2 different teams and it's painfully obvious. It's a mix of 2018 God of War and Marvel-type of dialog crap.

It's also painfully obvious the team went to great lenghs to make sure the game could run on a PS4. You barely ever have open spaces. everything is a corridor with logs and stuff for you to push, craw through, etc...
You don't notice that much during your first playthrough but once the game is over and you're trying to go for that 100% it's just so bad to navigate through...seriously.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
"It's woooke"

Now seriously...the game seems like it was written by 2 different teams and it's painfully obvious. It's a mix of 2018 God of War and Marvel-type of dialog crap.

It's also painfully obvious the team went to great lenghs to make sure the game could run on a PS4. You barely ever have open spaces. everything is a corridor with logs and stuff for you to push, craw through, etc...
You don't notice that much during your first playthrough but once the game is over and you're trying to go for that 100% it's just so bad to navigate through...seriously.
I see. I guess I should lower my expectations cuz I really liked 2018. Sony's inability to cut the umbilical cord from last gen is disappointing.

Gaiff

Ok so for those interested in how these settings map to the PlayStation consoles:

Minimum => Base PS4 Experience
Recommended => PS4 Pro Experience
High => Base PS5 Experience
Performance => PS5 Pro Experience
Ultra = Max PC Experience

There is no RT in this game. Difference is really down to resolution and settings. And before you look at the PC GPU selections for each of these and say that they are higher than the console equivalent I outlined, just go back and look at the settings for all the previous PS Studio ports. They consistently specify "higher" PC GPU cards to be on par with equivalent console experiences.
The 1060 is over twice the performance of the PS4. In fact, it’s more powerful than a PS4 Pro’s GPU.

The older cards really underperform if these are accurate.

Gaiff

I see. I guess I should lower my expectations cuz I really liked 2018. Sony's inability to cut the umbilical cord from last gen is disappointing.
I love 2018. Beat it 4 times. Stopped Ragnarok halfway through. Who knows though, maybe you’ll like it.

Admittedly, I played Ragnarok on the PS4 Pro after playing 2018 on PC. Going from 4K120 down to 1080p 35-40 was quite the drop-off and made it hard to enjoy.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I love 2018. Beat it 4 times. Stopped Ragnarok halfway through. Who knows though, maybe you’ll like it.

Admittedly, I played Ragnarok on the PS4 Pro after playing 2018 on PC. Going from 4K120 down to 1080p 35-40 was quite the drop-off and made it hard to enjoy.
Think you'll double dip on Ragnarok since you did play it on PS4 Pro?

Gaiff

Think you'll double dip on Ragnarok since you did play it on PS4 Pro?
I bought the PS5 upgrade last Christmas for $5. I'll just wait until the PS5 Pro to play it again. I could play it on my rig, but I ain't spending $60 to do that. Might get it later at a discount just to fuck around at 8K when the 7090 or something releases.

Releasing single player games that cost 150/200M to develop on a platform that had less than 30M users (which is how many PS5 were in the world back then) is just not feasable right now unless you want more studios to close.

God of War Ragnarök is coming to PC* on September 19. To prepare you for your journey back into the Nine Realms, check out the system requirements below.

53894219642_152e9d00da_k.jpg
A billion dollar publisher that couldn’t even bother to support graphical features like path tracing on the PC for an on rail game. I’m not spending $60 for this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Releasing single player games that cost 150/200M to develop on a platform that had less than 30M users (which is how many PS5 were in the world back then) is just not feasable right now unless you want more studios to close.
True. Yea I understand that. Disappointing nonetheless. Feel like we are at an end of an era...when next gen meant tons of new innovations in gaming. Everything is so...safe now.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You don’t recommend Win 10? I do.
No, I don’t as far as I know if you run Windows 10 and have a modern CPU you’re not getting the full benefits. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I had been told for a long time.

Plus, isn’t it end of life for all security updates and patches?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A billion dollar publisher that couldn’t even bother to support graphical features like path tracing on the PC for an on rail game. I’m not spending $60 for this.
Sure but this port is done by literally a 4 person studio lol

you can argue that sony couldve asked nixxes to help out and add some features and you'd correct but this is a cheap as fuck port. probably cost them like a million max.

True. Yea I understand that. Disappointing nonetheless. Feel like we are at an end of an era...when next gen meant tons of new innovations in gaming. Everything is so...safe now.
That's the bigger problem. More so than no gens now. Studios have a harder time greenlighting huge AAA based on new IPs because it's a bigger risk.

I still can't believe just this year Soly released 2 of those: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. (and will release Concord...whether its good or not, that's a different story, it's still a new IP)

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s beginning to struggle with many AAA games, power wise.
I don’t doubt that has something to do with it, but as a casual observer were Ragnorök and Forbidden West on PS4 really that much of a step up compared to GoW 2018 and Zero Dawn?

MikeM

Gold Member
Absolutely double dipping once it goes on sale. Got the platinum on PS5 and plan on doing the equivalent on Steam.

The PS5 version is damn good though. That unlocked vrr framerate of 80-100fps was fantastic

Ozriel

M$FT
I don’t doubt that has something to do with it, but as a casual observer were Ragnorök and Forbidden West on PS4 really that much of a step up compared to GoW 2018 and Zero Dawn?

Probably. But it’s not just this game. Returnal kinda struggles on the deck too.

I suspect the game will work on the Deck, though you’d need to tweak settings and probably use FSR for a decent framerate.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That's the bigger problem. More so than no gens now. Studios have a harder time greenlighting huge AAA based on new IPs because it's a bigger risk.

I still can't believe just this year Soly released 2 of those: Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. (and will release Concord...whether its good or not, that's a different story, it's still a new IP)
I think it behooves them to take some risks. People are not gonna maintain their excitement for the same IP over and over again unless its, Zelda, Mario or like maybe Final Fantasy. They gotta hit a new vein of gold every so often to justify the amount of talent they have on board. They are diving in head first to these Live Service games so hard that it feels almost desperate. All this while seemingly forgetting what made them popular in the first place. I really hope Naughty Dog has got a banger up their sleeve if for no other reason than to show Sony that the premium experience is still very much the main focus. You want live service games....go mobile. Nobody cares about Fairgames.

I doubt there is any more ray tracing than the console version.

Don't think there will be. I did hear that there is a form of ray tracing on PS5, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

I remember it being a hybrid RT reflection solution being used on the indoor environments, but I'll have to dig it back up again.

Found it, had these slides on my laptop but can't find the full presentation online.

pOZX7ua.jpeg

62wlnqm.jpeg
tD9KznX.jpeg

simpatico

Gold Member
No, I don’t as far as I know if you run Windows 10 and have a modern CPU you’re not getting the full benefits. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I had been told for a long time.

IIRC October is EOL. I'll take my chances then. My only use is gaming, so I'm not too pressed about it. I've only heard Win 11 had worse perf. Have heard nothing about better. In gaming at least.

Last edited:

YCoCg

There was a video recently that showed games runs better or the same on Windows 10 Vs Windows 11 with sadly none at all running better on Windows 11.

EOL is October 2025, so still a year to go, hopefully enough time for Microsoft to release Windows 12 and have that be a good one.

I think these requirements are very high considering the graphics in this game. The PS4 only had 1.8TF and for many years I was able to max out PS4 games on my 3.2TF GTX680 at 1080p. On my 14TF 1080ti (7.7x more TF compared to the PS4) even 4K 60fps was possible with maxed out settings. Also my Weaker GTX1080 10TF could sometimes run PS4 ports at 4K 60fps.

Now however even 52TF 4080S (28x faster GPU) can barely run PS4 ports on PC at 4K. Even some RT games run much better on my 4080S than these latest PS4 ports and people over interned are still praising these PS4 ports on PC.

Last edited:
The 1060 is over twice the performance of the PS4. In fact, it’s more powerful than a PS4 Pro’s GPU.

The older cards really underperform if these are accurate.
Exactly. The 1060 has over 2x more TF and given much more efficient architecture you are looking at a 3-4x faster GPU struggling to run PS4 settings.

Kenpachii

Pretty high requirements for how the game looks like others already mentioned.

Would also be nice if sony starts to add pathtracing towards there games, normal lightning these games have looks flat as hell.

Windows 10 is still better for gaming at average of 15% better performance. Specially on older CPU's & GPU's.
Win 11 is said to have better support for DX12 Ultimate features like GPU decompression, so I'm guessing future games will run better on win11.

As for current games hardware unboxed just compared Win10 vs Win11 performance and besides counter strike 2 (Win11 - 486 vs. Win10 - 537fps, which is 10% difference) most games show little (1-2fps) to nothing difference.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Win 11 is said to have better support for DX12 Ultimate features like GPU decompression, so I'm guessing future games will run better on win11.

As for current games hardware unboxed just compared Win10 vs Win11 performance and besides counter strike 2 (Win11 - 486 vs. Win10 - 537fps, which is 10% difference) most games show little (1-2fps) to nothing difference.
On my PC with 1660Ti & Zen 2 3700X game run better on win 10 ( from 3-10 fps, for games above 70FPS is usually arownd 5-10)

On my PC with 1660Ti & Zen 2 3700X game run better on win 10 ( from 3-10 fps, for games above 70FPS is usually arownd 5-10)
I was running my old i7 3770K GTX1080 for the last couple of years and just a month ago I build 7800X3D and win11 platform. I saw big gains even in GPU-limited games on Windows11 and my GTX1080 was faster than ever. Not a single game ran worse than on my oled i7 3770K Windows 10 PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom