• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Saw it this past weekend,

Loved it.

I had read a lot of complaints before and since, and if I wanted to be nitpicky I may agree with some.

But the bottom line is, it was a shit ton of fun so who cares. This is NOT the kind of movie you get all brainy about.

Plan to see it again :)

Really? Excellent! Do we know what scenes will be restored? Or do we just know there's an extended edition coming?

They haven't said yet here's the interview from Toho Kingdom's Main Page.

Chris Mirjahangir: Will there be an extended cut of this (Godzilla) on the DVD/Blu-ray?
Thomas Tull: Yes
Mirjahangir: Like Peter Jackson style where it's all blended in together?
Tull: Well, that's really Gareth's choice. There are certainly some scenes and things you're gonna see, and it's up to him how he wants to present that to fans.

The director has such a great eye for framing up some amazing scenes. Love the airport wide angle shot where you just see godzillas foot!

I always liked Pacific Rim, it delivered what I expected and wanted. Watched the Knifehead fight last night, I like that Kaiju quite a bit, and the CGI mechs look fucking excellent. Still enjoy Godzilla more, but they are very different movies.

I think Pacific Rim is the better movie. Godzilla was still pretty great. I had a few problems with some of the characters. Also,
I liked the look of Mothra better than Godzilla.

Chris Mirjahangir: Will there be an extended cut of this (Godzilla) on the DVD/Blu-ray?
Tull: Well, that's really Gareth's choice. There are certainly some scenes and things you're gonna see, and it's up to him how he wants to present that to fans.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Toa TAK

Banned
:D

This sounds great, I don't think I've been awaiting an extended edition to anything since King Kong.

Fevaweva

Great directing, amazing CGI coupled with a boring script and boring characters makes for a werid ass film. Glad I got to see it for free

Ferrio

Banned
This is right up there:

gipsy_danger_beating_a_monster_with_a_cargo_ship_from_the_new_pacific_rim_trailer-45952.gif

Such a lost opportunity, they so should of done the classic Samurai upswing... nope just use it like a bat.

Wish his head was just a little bit bigger, but otherwise i liked the design of Godzilla.

The longer, useful arms were good to see and I loved his mouth whenever he roared, looked very cool.

I cared about Ford.
His mother died when he was young, his father who he called crazy his whole life just died in front of him when he finally realized he wasnt crazy, and he has been away from his family for 1 or 2 years. I wanted him to get back to his wife and son, and that made the suspense effective. I do remember thinking this poor guy cant catch a fucking break after awhile. Everywhere he went the monsters followed.

And it's certainly a very pretty movie and the sound effects were great.

Agreed.

I think anyone expecting more Godzilla or Kaiju fights are going to be disappointed but we'll see.

Here's hoping. Honestly any scene that isn't Ford Brody interacting with his boring family or military guys pulling rank on eachother is going to be welcome. More Watanabe scenes where he does anything other than chew the scenery would be nice.
More Godzilla scenes would be better.

Vidpixel

So, I just saw this with my girlfriend about an hour ago, and while I still found enjoyment in the film during certain parts, I ultimately came out of it a little disappointed. The movie had a great build-up in the beginning, but then it just kind of dragged on and on until the final act, which... honestly, wasn't very impressive to me, especially with movies like Pacific Rim already existing.

Did anyone else think the designs of the M.U.T.O. were kind of lackluster? They just didn't seem all that menacing or intimidating to me, especially in relation to the massive scale of Godzilla himself. Also, killing off the only interesting human character in the film (Bryan Cranston) towards the beginning was a big misstep in my opinion. I probably would have preferred if his son, Ford, died instead, as I didn't find him nearly as engaging.

I did like the nod to Mothra on Ford's little aquarium though while him and his dad explored their old house in the quarantined zone.

Shouta

I cared about Ford.
His mother died when he was young, his father who he called crazy his whole life just died in front of him when he finally realized he wasnt crazy, and he has been away from his family for 1 or 2 years. I wanted him to get back to his wife and son, and that made the suspense effective. I do remember thinking this poor guy cant catch a fucking break after awhile. Everywhere he went the monsters followed.

He also
"survived" a nuclear scare caused by the destruction of a power plant.

Agreed.

Here's hoping. Honestly any scene that isn't Ford Brody interacting with his boring family or military guys pulling rank on eachother is going to be welcome. More Watanabe scenes where he does anything other than chew the scenery would be nice.
More Godzilla scenes would be better.
I think that's the wrong thing to expect. Probably just extensions of certain character scenes.

I think that's the wrong thing to expect. Probably just extensions of certain character scenes.

Haha, I'll center my expectations around supporting the franchise more than anything else. Though considering a sequel is already in the works I don't think we have anything to worry about.

What I took from this is his atomic breath drains him of energy (on top of all that fighting). Also explains why he doesn't just use it from the get go.

I like his
atomic breath being a weapon of last resort. It'd be overpowered if it didn't have a cool-down.

sunnz

Yep, the
charging of his atomic breath and it being used
does pretty much out do anything from any other monster or action film for me ( including Pacific rim, which I love). The build up and how the fog kinda covers it but not enough to know what is happening.

I was grinning like a 9 year old on Christmas when I realised it was happening.

I don't want to derail with a Pacific Rim VS Godzilla thing but did anyone else think that the CG in PR was a bit better?

Particularly the water effects. Some of the effects in Godzilla looked a bit unfinished or not as polished
mostly the smoke and the 'clean' looking feel of the MUTOS

Just saw it again. Even better the second time, knowing how it was paced. Just a brilliantly well executed blockbuster.

Pacing was wonderful. It hit the teases and the buildup of knowing what's coming just right. I enjoyed the buildup, teasy portion of the film more than the climax. I love that feeling of a storm on the horizon. Seeing the huge wall of dark clouds coming your way on the horizon, the weather alerts telling you to prepare. The calm before the storm. I love that feeling. Strange comparison but that was the equivalent for me and the
train
scene was the highlight of the teasy pacing.

Final battle was disappointingly dark, hidden in shadows and I know it wasn't a theater error, Cranston could've replaced 2 certain characters and carried the film better
, but it's a winner. I cannot remember at all the design of the motus though. I have to image search. Just remember legs. Not very catchy but they work for an intro film.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it. It felt like a *real* Toho Godzilla movie! With a budget! It's what I had hoped for when they announced the 1998 movie. It's almost too good to be true.

I don't want to derail with a Pacific Rim VS Godzilla thing but did anyone else think that the CG in PR was a bit better?

Particularly the water effects. Some of the effects in Godzilla looked a bit unfinished or not as polished
mostly the smoke and the 'clean' looking feel of the MUTOS
I honestly didn't notice. I believe Pacific Rim had the larger budget though so it wouldn't be surprising.

Saw the movie yesterday.

Overall, it was fantastic. There are some things I can nitpick on and some things that could have been done better but taking it as a complete package I really really really liked it. I really want to watch it a second time.

This is a very, very good article. What really hit me was the this:
The movie essentially starts small in scope (Joe Brody family) to a worldwide event (Godzilla vs. the MUTOs). The reason for this is because the real main character of Godzilla is, well, Godzilla. And to do his character justice, the human characters need to be as much perspectives as they are characters we care about.

I didn't notice the plot of family until he pointed it out, which helps connect the film: Joe's family, Ford's, and the MUTOs'.

Very good article.

nice. a lot of quotes could be pulled from this which look ridiculous in retrospect
he bottom line is if Peter Jackson couldn’t turn “King Kong” into a mega-size box office hit, the chances that an indie film director—Gareth Edwards—attempting to make a big budget giant monster action film like “Godzilla” a global, profitable hit are essentially nonexistent
If anything, It was also Godzilla which hurt Spiderman, not the other way around. (I'd agree Spiderman's quality is ultimately what killed its momentum)

Vox.com: In defense of nuking Godzilla
Warning: Here be spoilers for Godzilla. But, like, every Godzilla movie is the same, so if you've seen one you probably don't have to worry too much.

Run, it's Godzill...nuclear weapons! The big climax in the new Godzilla movie comes when, in a fit of desperation, the besieged humans decide to try to nuke Godzilla. The big lizard's monster enemies, the M.U.T.O.s, love radiation, so the idea was to use a nuke to lure them all to the same place and then blow everyone up. Naturally, the plan totally fails when the M.UT.O.s use the bomb as an incubator for their nest in San Francisco. So the U.S. military ends up nearly blowing California's most fun city off the face of the Earth.

The movie plays this like the decision to try to nuke Godzilla was a huge mistake. But there is an important and well-established school of thought in political science and the study of warfare that would suggest that the military's decision makes total sense.

So, as it turns out, Godzilla actually is a pretty good anti-nuclear parable despite the fact that it makes sense to nuke him in the films. He's proof that the spread of nukes can sometimes make devastating wars terribly rational.

Man, the more I think about this movie the less I like it. Its heart was in the right place in terms of tone and look, and I loved the final shot, but all in all a colossal missed opportunity.

This is a very, very good article. What really hit me was the this:
The movie essentially starts small in scope (Joe Brody family) to a worldwide event (Godzilla vs. the MUTOs). The reason for this is because the real main character of Godzilla is, well, Godzilla. And to do his character justice, the human characters need to be as much perspectives as they are characters we care about.

I didn't notice the plot of family until he pointed it out, which helps connect the film: Joe's family, Ford's, and the MUTOs'.

Very good article.

I agree 100% that having bland human protagonists with incomplete emotional arcs is a great way to draw focus to the monster at the heart of the movie. I think it's an interesting insight and a noble attempt at making the first 2/3's of the movie more palatable. What I disagree with is that any of that was the least bit intentional.

The author mentioned a common complaint about the movie, that some people thought it forgot about the human characters and left their stories hanging in lieu of more monster fights...it didn't.
Brody's mission to get the nuke out of the city
was still the centerpiece of the final act. At no point in the movie did I feel that Godzilla trumped Ford Brody in terms of plot importance.

I agree 100% that having bland human protagonists with incomplete emotional arcs is a great way to draw focus to the monster at the heart of the movie. I think it's an interesting insight and a noble attempt at making the first 2/3's of the movie more palatable. What I disagree with is that any of that was the least bit intentional.
Does that really matter? I think any creative person will tell you that some aspects of their work come together in a way they didn't intend, and it makes the artwork better for it. I mean, Brian Wilson and Tony Asher weren't set out to write a narrative with Pet Sounds, but that's what they did, and the album is all the better for it.
Brody's mission to get the nuke out of the city
was still the centerpiece of the final act. At no point in the movie did I feel that Godzilla trumped Ford Brody in terms of plot importance.
What Godzilla is doing is more important in the final stretch.

Review: Godzilla in the Background

Oh boy. Just watched Godzilla last night, and I have to admit… the movie left me pretty underwhelmed. There was a great opportunity to finally make an American Godzilla film that would really show off the appeal of the Toho movies, but I can’t say they got it here. The movie we got from Gareth Edwards seems much more interested in playing up the human drama, which is laughable, and cockteasing the audience to the point of frustration and annoyance.

So the movie starts and Bryan Cranston’s wife inevitably dies. Besides being a complete waste of Juliet Binoche, the whole thing felt incredibly heavy and overwrought. This is the first fifteen minutes of the movie, guys… I don’t think it’s really a good time to break out the water works just yet? I mean, the torture and angst on Cranston’s face is tough to take, and you’re just wondering why they’re leading off with something this draining and tragic right from the beginning. There’s something to be said for giving a movie some gravitas, but this went a little overboard. The audience isn’t really sunk into the movie world just yet and you’re already trying to yank vigorously on our heartstrings? It felt a bit too artificial and needy to my sensibilities. And the whole sequence itself looked rather silly, as Juliet Binoche is being chased down hallways by this cloud of radiation that seems to have a mind of its own. For me, it harkened back to Roland Emmerich’s The Day After Tomorrow, where you had Jake Gyllenhaal being pursued through a museum by this sinister mist of… freezing temperatures. Of course, I also started wondering exactly why a heavy duty containment door at a nuclear power plant would have a structurally weak transparent window to look through? That doesn’t really seem like a terribly good idea for providing maximum protection.

Now, Bryan Cranston is reliably great and gives a good energetic performance for… ya know, the first 30 minutes of the movie. He’s stomping around angry and confused and delivering delirious diatribes like someone’s taken off with all his meth money, and it feels legitimately serious. We’re supposed to care about what’s going on, and we really have no choice but to, because the camera’s all up in Cranston’s grill showing him gnashing his teeth angrily and spitting vitriol every which way but loose. So that’s fine and all, but his storyline doesn’t actually go anywhere. I mean, it bridges the gap between the 15 years and leads to the movie’s revelations about what actually happened, but his death is abrupt and seemingly senseless and leaves us with incredibly limp characters for the remainder of the film’s running time. We were all invested in him and his tortured guilt and now that’s all thrown away by the script. It feels incredibly lame and unfulfilling and seems to be a foreshadowing that this movie intends to tease the audience with hints of greatness that never fully resolve satisfactorily.

Aaron Taylor Johnson now becomes the main protagonist and uhhhh… I found his on screen presence somewhat lacking. He seems to spend most of the film staring blandly at the camera. I’m not saying that he goes and gives a terrible performance… he doesn’t out and out embarrass himself like Hayden Christensen did in the prequels, for example. But it’s a middle of the road, dialed down, workmanlike effort. There’s none of the energy and spontaneity and righteous anger of Cranston’s performance. Instead we’re treated to bland, lifeless scenes of him pointing his rifle at something in the distance, or comforting a small child, or… well, that’s pretty much it. Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins are likewise wasted. I have absolutely no idea why they even got Hawkins, an Oscar-nominated actress, for this role. She’s basically just playing the intern role. Hell, Kat Dennings gave us a better intern performance in those two Thor movies. At least she gave us some good laughs with her comedy relief. Hawkins just delivers exposition with a dour expression on her face.

Elizabeth Olsen does a fine job, though what she’s given isn’t much. As soon as she’s shuffled off into the shelter, we lose her until the end where she reunites with her family. I admit, I cringed mightily everytime someone spoke her name, but that’s just because her character has the same name as my ex. I fucking hate that bitch. But hey, that’s my own personal baggage. That’s not Olsen’s or the movie’s fault.

The movie suffers from generic ass generic scenes. These bugged me to no end. If you’re not going to show Godzilla, then you damn well better show us something interesting instead. Jaws accomplished that in spades. But this movie seemed determined to trot out tired ass generic scenes. We get the scene of Johnson tucking his little boy into bed, tenderly promising he’ll be there tomorrow. We get the scene of Johnson and his wife cuddling and being lovey dovey. We get the scene of the random dog barking at the oncoming tsunami, because dogs have a sixth sense about these sorts of things. We get the scene of this random little girl at the luau, looking cute and adorable. Then she’s whisked away by her dad and escapes, never to be seen again. Same with the cute little boy that Johnson suddenly befriends on the train. Then there’s a scene of all the kids on the school bus staring wide eyed out the window as it’s crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Wait, didn’t this exact same scene happen in Superman 1? Just a torrent of utterly generic scenes that we’ve all gotten sick of and roll our eyes at. Or at least I do.

The movie goes and tries to inject some cheap sentiment about nuclear weapons and the tragedy of the atomic age, but never gives us a meaningful theme or throughline with it. Serisawa simply hands the Admiral his father’s broken watch from Hiroshima. Well, okay. That’s ummm… that’s really not enough, Mr. Scriptwriter. You need to actually do some work and tie it into the storyline somehow, instead of jamming it in between scenes randomly. Later on he gives a line about how “the arrogance of man is in believing he can control nature.” That’s not bad, that’s a pretty good line I suppose. But how does that tie back to Serisawa’s broken watch? One scene is about the destructiveness of atomic power unleashed by man, while the other is about man’s hubris in his relationship with mother nature. Do they connect together in any meaningful message or idea? I don’t believe so. It feels like some vague hand gesturing without a well thought-out purpose.

The military is going to be a big part of any Godzilla movie and this was no different. Yet they acted incredibly strangely in how they treated Godzilla. For example… they seem to be okay with sailing alongside Godzilla for a large chunk of the film. Where did this come from? Why aren’t they attacking Godzilla? Had they reached a peace accord with Big G? Some sort of treaty in place here? You see aircraft carriers and destroyers sailing literally 50 feet away from the giant monster. This is ridiculous to me. And mind you, this is right after his visit to Hawaii where he created a tsunami. So I’m not sure what they were thinking here. And at a minimum, it seems incredibly perilous to sail so close to something that could easily change direction and suddenly capsize you.

So I don’t know why they weren’t trying to kill Godzilla with torpedoes and other weapons. They’re just sailing alongside it like they’re escorting it. That seems silly to me, but maybe they’re just gonna listen to Dr. Serisawa and leave it alone as some sort of way to balance nature or something. I think he said something about Godzilla acting as a way to restore equilibrium. Let’s go with that. So if they’re just gonna be cool with Godzilla… then why do they suddenly fire on it as soon as it enters San Francisco Bay? What changed? And why would you park a dozen navy destroyers right in the path of a giant monster? Wouldn’t you know that it would collide with your fleet if you park them all about 40 feet from each other? This seems like the dumbest naval formation ever. And when you open fire… why would you do it from point blank range, so that your missiles all go haywire and strike the Golden Gate Bridge instead? I’m fine with the military attacking Godzilla, that’s after all what they’re supposed to do in Godzilla movies… I’m just not sure why they’re doing it in this idiotic, ill conceived manner.

The MUTOs are the primary antagonists in the story, since Godzilla is mainly treated as a hero of sorts. I thought they were okay. I mean, their whole schtick about consuming radiation and radioactive reactors and bombs… that’s fine with me, that’s how these Godzilla movies have always been. I can suspend my disbelief and go with it. But appearance-wise, I didn’t think they looked all that interesting. Their basic silhouette is quite smooth and angular and featureless, which makes the creatures look like a low polygon video game model at first glance. It’s not a big deal, but it did make me long for the traditional Toho adversaries like Rodan, Mothra, or King Ghidorah, which had colorful and varied features and skin characteristics. You can sense a thriving imagination at work with those fantastical creatures, while the MUTOs simply had a smooth, bland exterior with no real distinguishing traits aside from their burning red eyes.

The military’s plan makes no sense. I mean, I keep trying to think about it, and see if I remember any details… but no, it makes no sense. You’re going to arm the nuke right near San Francisco with a 2 hour timer, and then hope that you’ll be able to take it far away from the area while two MUTOs and Godzilla are all converging on it, trusting that none of them will get their hands on it before it blows? Why would that plan ever work? They already know they can’t stop the MUTOs with anything conventional. So wouldn’t it seem obvious that the MUTOs would simply snatch it up and keep it in the populated area? Maybe I missed something in the exposition. But this plan seemed real dumb right from the get go.

Why transport the nuclear missiles by train? Surely it’d have been faster and safer to transport them by plane or helicopter. In fact, that’s exactly what they do with the one lone missile when they find it in the rubble of the train wreck! They fly in and haul it off with a helicopter. So why use the easy to locate and incredibly vulnerable railway system? Especially when all you can protect it with is one or two squads of soldiers with rifles? What good will that do against a giant MUTO? And why did the MUTO gobble up one nuke, but not the other? It finds the train and there are two nukes, but it just decides to leave after one? Why not eat both? Well, I suspect the answer is that the script required the other one to survive so it could be used in the final setpiece of the movie, that’s why.

What is the point of pointing your assault rifle at a giant monster? This question was haunting me all throughout the movie. Aaron Taylor Johnson and his Hispanic soldier buddy on the railway bridge. Those soldiers on the roofs of the hotels in Hawaii. The special forces squad sent to locate the Akula submarine in the dense forest. They’re all decked out with gear and pointing their guns with purpose. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with that M4A1 with the ACOG sight, Mr. Military Man? The monsters are all enormous and don’t really feel anything from missiles, rockets, and tank shells. Yet over and over again, we get to see these idiotic soldiers firing their rifles. Firing them from the boat with the nuke. That doesn’t work. Then the camera pans over and there’s a bunch more of em firing at the MUTO from the pier. That doesn’t work. The MUTO just bends down and eats the whole pier. Then Aaron Taylor Johnson gets on the boat and he pulls his pistol at the MUTO. Really? This is why it’s a mistake to focus on the little people… the little people don’t do jack shit. It’s just one scene after another of nonsense that feels tired and empty. There’s no entertainment value in watching soldiers with M16s firing at Godzilla or MUTOs.

Gareth Edwards must be the world’s biggest cocktease. That thought kept circling around my head throughout most of this movie. Now, the first time it happened, I decided to cut him some slack. When the camera reveals Godzilla for the first time in Hawaii and then cuts to an SD television feed of it battling the MUTO, I guess I let it slide, since he probably needed to save money on CGI. I figured that’s why we didn’t see more of the fight from a normal perspective. But then he keeps doing it, over and over and over again. We’d get to see Godzilla battling, and just as we’re getting into it… he cuts away to some utterly dull human drama. Give us a little taste, then cut away. Finally show us his atomic breath, then cut away. That shit gets frustrating after a while… Jesus H Christ. That’s just being an utterly huge cocktease to the audience, and I could feel the theater growing increasingly restless as the movie wore on.

Take the example of Godzilla showing up to battle the MUTO in San Francisco. Elizabeth Olsen sees the flying MUTO perched up on one side of her. Then Godzilla arrives in a swirl of smoke and dust on the other side of her. They charge forth into a climactic clash for all the ages just as she descends into the shelter and… then we cut away. No more, Gareth Edwards says. Well that right there is something that no true Godzilla movie would do. There is a fundamental lack of understanding about what a Godzilla movie should deliver and appreciating his splendor and awesome power. Edwards seems to revel in shoving him into the background instead. Plenty of shots where Godzilla and the MUTOS are simply background set dressing, while the camera follows Johnson’s squad in the foreground. In fact, the whole movie might as well be retitled “Godzilla in the Background.”

Now, I did think the smoke and debris swirling around the monster battles looked cool. That was always something which you never got with Toho’s old man in the rubber suit movies, simply because you can’t really create the realistic smoke and dust conditions when you’re using miniature cardboard buildings. But having witnessed 9/11, we know now that buildings crumbling and collapsing will indeed create tremendous plumes of smoke and dust. So it felt appropriately realistic and lifelike to see such conditions in a Godzilla movie. I thought there was some real artistry in how they employed these large CGI clouds with the creatures’ movements in melee combat. It’s an impressive sight, and gives us something we’ve truly never seen before in a Godzilla film.

Godzilla’s atomic breath is another element that I did enjoy in the movie. I was legitimately curious to see how they’d pull it off with the CGI that we have today in 2014, and it turned out looking just fine. Instead of a pure blue pillar of energy, Edwards seems to have elected for something that more resembles a wind, or a gust of blue. Which is definitely appropriate for an “atomic breath.” The spines also do light up, though not as much as in the older movies. Here, it’s a more subtle effect that doesn’t call as much attention to itself. The signature moment where Godzilla draws himself up and summons up the breath from deep within looked very realistic and animalistic at the same time. Kudos to the animators.

So the final act of the movie basically plays out like a Call of Duty mission. I’m serious, that’s exactly what I felt like they were showing us. You have the whole squad of soldiers HALOing into the city and navigating through the smashed rubble to their objective, which was the nuke. And always in the background is this tremendous scripted sequence of Godzilla fighting the MUTOs. And this focus on the Call of Duty mission really hurts my enjoyment of the film. Godzilla taking a backseat feels wrong. I don’t really care about these soldiers, they aren’t actual characters that we’re invested in like we are in a movie like Black Hawk Down. They’re all faceless nameless soldiers with the exception of Johnson. But the camera keeps cutting to them and keeping them in the foreground, while Godzilla’s battle, the thing we really want to see, keeps getting the background treatment. It’s incredibly disappointing and feels like someone’s missed the point of this movie.

It feels clear now that Edwards took a lot of influence from Cloverfield. Yet Cloverfield was a found footage movie, and the camera being strapped to one of the survivors necessitated the frequent cut aways from the monster. After all, they’re all trying to run away from the horrible creature. Godzilla is not a found footage movie, and the camera can be anywhere at any time. Yet Edwards insists on cutting away just when we’re getting into the monster action. What feels right and appropriate in one movie does not in another. And the camera cutting away time after time left me feeling exasperated, because I was simply stuck watching faceless soldiers in a plotline that we’d already seen in plenty of other movies. The ticking-bomb-about-to-explode-in-a-city is something that’s been retread over and over again: Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, etc. I certainly don’t ever need to see it again in a movie in this lifetime.

Now after the final battle… the nuke goes off and everyone’s safe. We’re left with retrieving people from the rubble of collapsed skyscrapers. And the news comes on and they proclaim… “Godzilla, Savior of the City?” Wait, what? We just had a battle that destroyed more of San Francisco than Zod accomplished in Metropolis, and yet Godzilla’s the savior of the city? How does that work? I mean, yes, if you were privy to the entire military situation and figured out that he stopped the MUTOs and that allowed the nuke to get away safely and the nuke detonated far away from the city… yes, I suppose that you might be able to see it that way. But I don’t really think the news reporters in San Francisco would be in on that information? As far as they’re concerned, Godzilla was just equally as responsible for the devastation in the city as those MUTOs. And considering how many people died in the fallout, I hardly think they’d be wondering about him being a savior. The whole thing just feels like a lame attempt to copy the ending of The Avengers. And while I thought that tv montage in The Avengers was pretty cheesy and hokey, at least it felt appropriate and earned there. Here, it feels ridiculous. And yes, I know that Godzilla has been portrayed as a protector of the earth in earlier Toho movies. However, I would respond by saying that A) I never cared much for those movies, and B) it really does steer away from the aspect of Godzilla that I prefer, which is as a force of nature. A force of nature is not a savior of any sort, he merely does what he wishes and leaves a trail of destruction in his wake. So to see him referred to as a savior left a bad taste in my mouth, which isn’t what you want for a closing scene.

At the end of the day, I would have to say that Pacific Rim is the better movie of the two. Now, I’m not saying that Pacific Rim is an amazing movie, and it certainly had problems that weigh it down: Too much screen time devoted to the wacky scientists and Ron Perlman, and poor acting from the two main leads. Those problems do hold the movie back… and yet when I walked out of the movie theater, I was rather pleased with the overall experience and wanted to return to that movie universe. And that is not really something I can say for Gareth Edward’s Godzilla. The stunning waste on display is a real shame and I don’t have high hopes for a sequel with him back at the helm.

5/10

Well going in I was disappointed because the Rottenmeter fell like a damned rock, from 89% to 71%. So my expectations were really dampened. But...I liked this movie WAY more than Pacific Rim and Cloverfield. As a Godzilla fan, Ileft thoroughly satisfied. I'm not an insufferable nerd that will go 'no godzilla only emanates 10k gigawatts/sec for x mins how can he recharge that quick'. I just like the idea of Godzilla and there is something very primal and earthly about the creature that makes us connect to it. Actual Godzilla and MUTO scenes were superb throughout. I had instant deja vu while watching
Godzilla fight the bad monsters
, and was reminded of the Godzilla movies I watched as a kid. Godzilla is awesome. The Golden Gate Bridge scene was amazing, when we see Godzilla in his full glory coming ashore. Boss scene. Godzilla also does not like to harm humans and also protect them whenever he can (especially when he's not crushing them to pieces). I wish we saw a reason why though.

But going back to set pieces, all of them are pretty solid. HALO jump you see in the trailer is my favorite. The director has a pretty solid eye for capturing imagery. Bryan Cranston is (which you all know by now), the heart and soul of the movie
and I think it's a valid criticism that he's made to die off so early. My wife loves Breaking Bad and she was like WTF, that's unfair, and that she had very difficult time connecting to Ford and his token family.
Cranston delivers 100% as always, and he anchors the movie very strongly in the first half, something which was sorely missing in the second.
We saw it done gabazillion times already and it's nothing new. We all know they will be reunited in the end. It's such a boilerplate template to add to a movie, but I guess it's also a throwback to the old Japanese kaiju movies. But
Cranston needed
to be in the movie more. I don't know whose ass the lead (don't even know his name) kissed and tongued in order to be cast in the role, but it was an absolutely unnecessary role and not only that, but he was extremely subpar as an actor conveying emotions. Watching him interact with Bryan Cranston was very embarrassing.

I think the biggest flaw in the movie was how director approached the "human element" concept, which did not need to exist in a Godzilla movie at all. How I would have approached this movie (and I think old Godzilla movies did) was have 3 or four different stories play out together. I'd have Joe Brody and Dr. Ishiro in the same room with Military dudes through out the movie where they figure out Godzilla's purpose and MUTO's targets. By the way David Straithern is an exceptional actor. Loved his character, which was slightly different than NUKE EM ALL LOL guy you'd expect in a similar role. This is one story. Another parallel story would be following a company of soldiers on the
suicide mission of nuclear bomb disposal
, which was a good plot point and the HALO jump that precedes this act was simply the best scene of the movie. Third parallel story would look at how UN and other countries respond to the terror (and fail). A fourth story CAN focus on a family and how it comes together, or a kid that gets lost, etc. Just not make the entire damn movie about it. This way you can avoid
being forced to make a 20 something Ford sit with the highest echelons of military and do a crash course on project Monarch just because his dad was the genius who figured it out. It was a bad scene.

The movie should be about GODZILLA. Atom fire breathing giant lizard from hell. Wish we saw more about what it feeds on, where it lives, etc. and less on Ford trying to go home. I really didn't care for the guy and I'm sure no one in the audience cared either. But despite the criticism, the movie definitely held up as a Godzilla movie and is a terrific, balls crazy start to a very promising franchise.

Review: Godzilla in the Background
5/10

“Godzilla, Savior of the City?”
This bugged the hell out of me and made me laugh out loud.

I was actually hoping the ending would have been
a lot darker and not the feel-good movie of the year. I thought they were eluding to some main characters dying or sacrificing their lives, but in the end they find each other in a huge fucking city after its been demolished to hell. It was also just so abrupt. I had that feeling it might have gone in that direction with the darker and looming marketing undertone this had. I thought it would have taken the darker themes of the original (which I haven't seen but know about). They barely touched upon it. I was just disappointed it didn't end that way because I think it would have had much more of an impact. Alas, I realized my mistake this is a PG13 movie so they probably couldnt have done that. lol

Top Bottom