• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Blablurn

My biggest complaint about 2014's Godzilla is kind of unfair.

I was hoping, based off of the early trailers, that we were going to get more of a horror movie Godzilla. I was kind of hoping we were going to get a Godzilla 1985-Redux type of movie where Godzilla is unquestionably the borderline evil force of nature who is legitimately frightening.

To be fair they even advertised him like this before the movie came out. All the talk about Godzilla being like a Tsunami or like an earthquake. Yes, the movie features scenes that display exactly that but we had no idea that they will show him as the 'good guy'.

On the other hand that makes probably sense in terms of marketing. If they would have advertised Godzilla as the good guy, people would have just shaken their heads. They rather wanted to see him as the big evil.

I just finished the movie after falling asleep yesterday evening. The Blu Ray is really good. Cannot complain at all. And you gotta give Edwards credit for the way he presented Godzilla. Maybe he didn't give him enough screen time but when he presented him he went all out. Every scene with Godzilla is so damn memorable.

Hawaii.

San Fransisco.

The end fight.

The way how Edwards introduces the nuclear ray is just stunning. Love it.

Also:

Everything Wrong With Godzilla (2014)

lemmykoopa

To be fair they even advertised him like this before the movie came out. All the talk about Godzilla being like a Tsunami or like an earthquake. Yes, the movie features scenes that display exactly that but we had no idea that they will show him as the 'good guy'.

On the other hand that makes probably sense in terms of marketing. If they would have advertised Godzilla as the good guy, people would have just shaken their heads. They rather wanted to see him as the big evil.

I just finished the movie after falling asleep yesterday evening. The Blu Ray is really good. Cannot complain at all. And you gotta give Edwards credit for the way he presented Godzilla. Maybe he didn't give him enough screen time but when he presented him he went all out. Every scene with Godzilla is so damn memorable.

Hawaii.

San Fransisco.

The end fight.

The way how Edwards introduces the nuclear ray is just stunning. Love it.

Also:

Everything Wrong With Godzilla (2014)

Good post. I also thought the scenes with Godzilla were really well done, with a nice kind of 'grandeur' and style to it.

I always think the hate against Pazific Rim is stupid. Its a movie about giant Monsters fighting giant robots. What do you expect, a concurrent to Shakespear and Goethe?

I always think using this logic to defend a movie is stupid. You're completely mis representing the complaints people made about the movie so you can make their arguments look ridiculous (which they would be if any in the history of the planet actually said what you're suggesting).

Nobody expected a masterpiece or oscar winning dialogue when going into pacific rim. They wanted to see big robots smashing giant alien life forms. Problem was there was actually not all too much of that in the actual movie, which is fine so long as the huge gaps with no action aren't boring as fuck. After the first fight there is a huge stretch in the movie with absolutely no action, are people supposed to just ignore that part of the movie?

Pacific rim has actually grown on me and i think i was one of the bigger haters at release but the defenses used for that movie really are horrible.

Blablurn

YES!
Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqgdWu4IvfM

And people wanted this to be during daylight etc. just to see Godzilla more clearly? Imagine how lame that would be.

By no means I'm a movie expert but In my opinion this scene is just cinematographic brilliance. The music that gets louder when he loads up, the blue light on Ford's face (I actually remember the name), the blue color that moves from the tail to the head, the thunder in the background. It's fucking brilliant :D

I also love how the marine guy says "oh shit, did you see that?" haha. That was my reaction too :D

Lynd7

I always think using this logic to defend a movie is stupid. You're completely mis representing the complaints people made about the movie so you can make their arguments look ridiculous (which they would be if any in the history of the planet actually said what you're suggesting).

Nobody expected a masterpiece or oscar winning dialogue when going into pacific rim. They wanted to see big robots smashing giant alien life forms. Problem was there was actually not all too much of that in the actual movie, which is fine so long as the huge gaps with no action aren't boring as fuck. After the first fight there is a huge stretch in the movie with absolutely no action, are people supposed to just ignore that part of the movie?

Pacific rim has actually grown on me and i think i was one of the bigger haters at release but the defenses used for that movie really are horrible.

I dunno, I found the story scenes in Pacific Rim more enjoyable than all the human stuff in Godzilla. The human stuff fell really flat for me.

DeSo

Banned
I thought it was okay. There probably wasn't enough Godzilla for my liking and they focused more on the Mutos than they did big G. The loss of Cranston was a pretty huge, the film lagged after that until the end fights between the monsters. I know they get compared a lot but I'd probably take Pacific Rim by a little bit. Both pretty similar in quality. Good films.

Watched it yesterday, and I really liked it. I got pretty much exactly what I thought Gareth Edwards would do with it, and I the credits rolled with me really satisfied. So many impressive scenes that I want to rewatch, awesome atmosphere, and I liked how Godzilla was portrayed for this. Some parts should perhaps have been a bit longer, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. Really hope that they release a longer cut of it, would throw lot of money on that instantly.

Enjoyed it much more then Pacific Rim, which I thought was just silly.

Gareth: ah man you gotta see this!

*you got to check out this amazing thing, and so far its awesome you're enjoying it*

Gareth: Here comes the best part!

You: oh man this is crazy!

Gareth (under his breath): what did the 5 fingers say to the face?

You: Wait what did you -

*Gareth smacks fire from your cheek*

Gareth: I didn't say you could see it yet

That's the airport scene in a nutshell

Blablurn

Gareth: ah man you gotta see this!

*you got to check out this amazing thing, and so far its awesome you're enjoying it*

Gareth: Here comes the best part!

You: oh man this is crazy!

Gareth (under his breath): what did the 5 fingers say to the face?

You: Wait what did you -

*Gareth smacks fire from your cheek*

Gareth: I didn't say you could see it yet

That's the airport scene in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69Hfx7rUh0

"thats what you get from a director who made a movie called monster with almost no monsters in it"

"all the teasing reminded me of my first gf in college"

:lol

pacific rim was so much better then this atleast was it was not hiding anything. it was movie about kicking butt and it did. story and character were on par with this one i.e not good but fuck fighting and everything else paid for it.

godzila needs to be there more.

Blablurn

pacific rim was so much better then this atleast was it was not hiding anything. it was movie about kicking butt and it did. story and character were on par with this one i.e not good but fuck fighting and everything else paid for it.

Godzilla 2014 was an introduction. An introduction to a difficult cinema environment. This movie could have bombed easily. They played it safe. And they won in the end.

I'm sure Godzilla 2 will be more. Especially with the announcement of Ghidora and Mothra.

I think the rain at night did obstruct some scenes in pacific rim.

Mlatador

Banned

I disagree with the last sentence. I thought it was absolutely brilliant how "nice & slow" Godzilla got re-introduced after all those years and the abomination that Godzilla 98 was, which had the potential to kill the franchise for good.

There are so many memorable shots in this movie that give us a great sense of scale, very stylish ones, and in the first half of the movie you never see much of godzilla, which builds up a lot of anticipation for the second half. It's really a love letter to all those faithful godzilla fans outhere who (secretely) never gave up hope for a true, big, modern godzilla movie. It streches the excitment. You really want to see more of him. And when he is shown it doesn't dissapoint. I also like how Godzillas trademark attack got introduced with so much care. I always thought during the movie, when are they gonna show it, and when it was shown, it was a real hype moment. The whole camera shot with the tease was brilliant.

The humans were mediocre (except bryan cranston) and weren't any better than in any of the previous godzilla movies, but never bothered me. I enjoyed to see the movie from their perspective.

Also, I was surprised how much I liked the Mutos. From the first trailers on I was sceptical, but they proved to be amazing-looking and especially - sounding monsters.

All in all, I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed Pacific Rim very much as well - maybe even a bit more.

The humans were mediocre (except bryan cranston) and weren't any better than in any of the previous godzilla movies, but never bothered me. I enjoyed to see the movie from their perspective.

Agree with this. They were just a vessel for showing the fight from that perspective, and it worked very well of that. None of them was memorable, but they didn't annoy you with over the top heroics or witty comments either.

Heroman

Banned
I disagree with the last sentence. I thought it was absolutely brilliant how "nice & slow" Godzilla got re-introduced after all those years and the abomination that Godzilla 98 was, which had the potential to kill the franchise for good.

There are so many memorable shots in this movie that give us a great sense of scale, very stylish ones, and in the first half of the movie you never see much of godzilla, which builds up a lot of anticipation for the second half. It's really a love letter to all those faithful godzilla fans outhere who (secretely) never gave up hope for a true, big, modern godzilla movie. It streches the excitment. You really want to see more of him. And when he is shown it doesn't dissapoint. I also like how Godzillas trademark attack got introduced with so much care. I always thought during the movie, when are they gonna show it, and when it was shown, it was a real hype moment. The whole camera shot with the tease was brilliant.

Also, I was surprised how much I liked the Mutos. From the first trailers on I was sceptical, but they proved to be amazing-looking and especially - sounding monsters.

All in all, I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed Pacific Rim very much as well - maybe even a bit more.

The best thing about the muto was that they had a man in a suit fell to them.

CentroXer

Banned
No idea how you guys loved this movie.

I thought it was extremely disappointing, and that is coming from someone going in with no expectations and not being a Godzilla fan.

For the first hour and a half, I was bored to tears.

It was talking, and talking, and talking, THEN GODZILLA IS ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING COOL, ohh wait, nevermind, more talking and talking, Godzilla going to fight.....ohh, no nevermind. Lets talk some more.

Finally at the end you get some action. What a disappointment. 2 hours could have easily been shaved down to an hour and a half.

Thank God I didn't see it in imax. What an absolute waste of money that would have been.

Just saw this movie and this post echoed my sentiments exactly. There is not enough screentime for godzilla for this movie to be called godzilla. First hour was incredibly boring.

I liked the 98 version a lot better.

gabbo

Just saw this movie and this post echoed my sentiments exactly. There is not enough screentime for godzilla for this movie to be called godzilla. First hour was incredibly boring.

We've slipped over into the twilight zone

Ithil

But the 98 version has approximately zero screentime for Godzilla. This doesn't gel.

Blablurn

n8lRBya.jpg

lacinius

Great film and really enjoyed it... certainly one of the best of the summer! It really captures the spirit of the original from 1954, all the while boldly propelling Godzilla forward into the 21st century to give it a fresh modern take.

Also picked up the Blu-ray Day1 and have watched it three times already! Very much looking forward to the next film!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's just opinions. Everyone is entitled to one. You dont have to agree with me :)
Doesnt change the fact that you write bullshit. We already debunked your point that Godzilla 98 played mostly during daytime. Bullshit. We posted a YouTube Video and most Godzilla shots were on nighttime. But ok, maybe you have the secret Daytime edition.

Then you wrote the argumemt that Godzilla has a comedy cast. Because of the guys was 10000 years ago in Malcom in the middle? Yeah, it isnt so that the guy played different roles since then, am I right? And for none of them he played in a kinda serious TV-series like Breaking Bad

Sorry, it ok that you dont like the movie, but you write hyperbolic bullshit.

Boem

Doesnt change the fact that you write bullshit. We already debunked your point that Godzilla 98 played mostly during daytime. Bullshit. We posted a YouTube Video and most Godzilla shots were on nighttime. But ok, maybe you have the secret Daytime edition.

Then you wrote the argumemt that Godzilla has a comedy cast. Because of the guys was 10000 years ago in Malcom in the middle? Yeah, it isnt so that the guy played different roles since then, am I right? And for none of them he played in a kinda serious TV-series like Breaking Bad

Sorry, it ok that you dont like the movie, but you write hyperbolic bullshit.

I'm really not looking to get pulled into this ridiculously angry discussion about why someone not liking the same things as someone else is bad, but he wasn't talking about the new Godzilla when he talked about a comedy cast. That was the 98 version he was talking about. I don't agree with his opinion myself, but I can totally see why someone prefers a more light-hearted comedy approach to a monster movie as opposed to the more serious one of the new movie. But again, this discussion and the angry responses he's getting are really silly. It's just a movie you guys, let him have his opinions.

CentroXer

Banned
I'm really not looking to get pulled into this ridiculously angry discussion about why someone not liking the same things as someone else is bad, but he wasn't talking about the new Godzilla when he talked about a comedy cast. That was the 98 version he was talking about. I don't agree with his opinion myself, but I can totally see why someone prefers a more light-hearted comedy approach to a monster movie as opposed to the more serious one of the new movie. But again, this discussion and the angry responses he's getting are really silly. It's just a movie you guys, let him have his opinions.

yep this. I meant the 98 version was more light-hearted.

Thank you.

strobogo

Banned
Godzilla 98 is a shitty movie, but much more entertaining even if it is in a so bad it's good way than Godzilla 2014, which is DEATHLY boring on a second watch.

Log4Girlz

Finally got around to seeing it. Oh god it was so boring. Main characters were so cold and unemotional, I didn't give a shit about them. Most people are surprisingly calm. Beautifully shot. Lot of greats individual scenes. But man what a boring picture.

I remember as a kid I hated when the original Godzilla came on during the Godzilla marathons or blocks. It was too serious, and boring with little action and in black and white. Boy how I've changed. Did some of you expect the goofy era of Godzilla or would you have preferred a foreign cast so the overall context of emotions and dialog would be ambiguous and therefore more entertaining for reasons? Or maybe a bad dub is what makes Godzilla for you.

I personally enjoy the original Godzilla and 1985 the most and 2014 held that same tone while adding in flavors of the other Godzillas. I've seen it multiple times and still don't find it boring. I don't need Godzilla on screen or Oscar-worthy perormances to hold my attention, especially when the tension built with the MUTOs is so well done.

slit

Finally saw it. The ending I was okay with, but what they made you sit though to get there.....man it was just putting me into a boredom coma . Why do some of these huge summer blockbusters have to be so long? I mean if they can keep you engaged fine, but most of the time it's just filler, especially here.

They're trying for character development in a Godzilla movie and it's just absurd. The only semi interesting character is Cranston and he's only in the movie for 5 minutes. Why did they even bother bringing him in? Cranton's son was just a generic hero type, who by the end of the movie I was hoping MUTO would just eat in one gulp. If their idea was trying to build suspense to the final battle, it didn't work, at least not for me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remember as a kid I hated when the original Godzilla came on during the Godzilla marathons or blocks. It was too serious, and boring with little action and in black and white. Boy how I've changed. Did some of you expect the goofy era of Godzilla or would you have preferred a foreign cast so the overall context of emotions and dialog would be ambiguous and therefore more entertaining for reasons? Or maybe a bad dub is what makes Godzilla for you.

I personally enjoy the original Godzilla and 1985 the most and 2014 held that same tone while adding in flavors of the other Godzillas. I've seen it multiple times and still don't find it boring. I don't need Godzilla on screen or Oscar-worthy perormances to hold my attention, especially when the tension built with the MUTOs is so well done.

I think most of the people here would actually like the "low-rated" Gojira films like vs. Megalon considering their reactions.

Calibus

I'm late (as usual), but I just saw it.

Went into it with mixed messages, but ended up actually really enjoying it. There were some groaner moments brought on by standard Hollywood tropes, but the movie was well-shot and the visual effects were incredible. I'm actually glad they didn't overdo it with the monster fight scenes, as it would lose a big part of the appeal. The build-up to the final fights are what made it effective for me.

Oh and needed more Brian Cranston. I've never seen Breaking Bad, but it's pretty obvious that he was the most commanding presence in that film (with Wantanabe a close second). Writing was also a little on the weak side, but I think each actor played their part appropriate to their corresponding character.

Can't wait for GZ2.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I picked this up on the cheap from a Black Friday sale and finally watched it last night. Is it odd that one of the first things I thought of was how old this movie makes me feel, what with things like Zip disks being part of a big flashback?

Top Bottom