• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Ferr986

Watched this movie the other day. I.... I liked it. Eeven if the overall plot of the humans wasnt really interesting, I enjoyed the movie a lot and time flew by watching it.

scene with Godzilla kneeling looking at the main dude and the ending where everyone cheers him were a little cheesy though

tuffy

The ending is a bit cheesy, I agree.
Having the populace be grateful for Godzilla doing his job and leaving would've been better left implicit.

I do like how much of the action is framed from the humans' point-of-view and I appreciate that the story isn't saddled with too many needless subplots. But generic army dude as the main protagonist isn't very interesting and the main complications are just people cleaning up after compounded screwups involving the "bait". Everything would've gone smoother if they'd simply taken Ken Watanabe's character's advice from the get-go!

Hopefully the promise of what's to come.

there_can_only_be_one_king__by_blackmatter234-d7uib5e.jpg

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Finally saw it tonight.

What a waste of two hours.

Bland, boring movie with bland, boring characters.

Got around to it yesterday. Pac Rim was way better.

Everything was boring about this movie. The colors, the fight scenes, the destruction... And the monster design left a lot to be desired. The sense of scale was pretty good though and the human scenes at least had a semblance of emotion. C for me overall.

Aselith

Got around to it yesterday. Pac Rim was way better.

Everything was boring about this movie. The colors, the fight scenes, the destruction... And the monster design left a lot to be desired. The sense of scale was pretty good though and the human scenes at least had a semblance of emotion. C for me overall.

You thought the monster design in this was bad and thought Pacific Rim of all movies was better? lol I don't even... they basically fought the same monster over and over in Pacific Rim. One time it had wings though!

I really can't think of anything that movie did better.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
saw it. These dimmocks need to realize that if you have to put human characters in a monster movie you should at least try to write decent parts and dialogue; not good, just decent. The human scenes all sucked just like in Pacific Rim

the action, however, rocked. Edwards sure knows how to convey a sense of impending doom, Godzilla's insane scale is displayed with great efficacy, and the night scenes are extremely intense. Movie is a solid 7 in my opoinion but really, gotta start trying to write some decent character scenes

Darkmakaimura

I love Cranston. I love Breaking Bad.

That aside, even Cranston sucked. Actually, he was one of the "better" characters
and they kill him off less than half way
. But besides that, the producers/whatever must have hired him to draw the crowds and he took the job for some extra cash money. This is a great actor who obviously didn't have to worry putting too much effort into this role.

But man, these characters couldn't be any more bland if you packed them into a box of matzos. I mean, that son.... the protagonist.... what does his wife see in him? That he's a military man? Walter White's real son had more charm and personality in 15 seconds of screen time than this guy did throughout the whole movie. I mean, he should've asked his dad for breakfast before running off to the nuclear plant. Walter's son kicked ass. Godzilla son doesn't.

Also, stupid story and almost laughable.
Hey guys, I'm Muto and I'm up and I need to do the giggidy giggidy with Ms. Muto so we can make the kids. lol.

This movie was bad all around. I'm going to get hate for this but I'm going for broke: Ferris Bueller's Day with Leon the Professional and Godzilla was better than this! At least that had characters with personality and a cute blonde girl. This movie has nothing! It gets nothing! Good day, sir!

Darkmakaimura

What else do animals do besides subsist, frolic and procreate?
Just seemed out of place and corny especially when they rubbed faces. I suppose they could have pulled this off a lot better than they did. Plus, they could have just trashed that whole thing and just introduced one Muto without the whole "I needs to mate, yo." I guess they felt that would make it more "threatening" since it would be a world overrun by Mutos but it came off as pretty ridiculous, imo.

The movie is still ultimately guilty of being boring all around. I'd be okay with the stupid story if it weren't so ridiculously bland and boring. Please, someone, put these characters out of their misery.

I suppose they could have pulled this off a lot better than they did.
Like what? Muto Mating dance? Rule 34 Muto?

Plus, they could have just trashed that whole thing and just introduced one Muto.

And what would've been G's Motivation to fight it if there is only one? The Philippines scene establishes the Muto's use Godzillas or anything radioactive as Baby Food. This establishes G's motivation to engage and kill the Muto's out of self preservation.

Darkmakaimura

Like what? Muto Mating dance? Rule 34 Muto?
How about not using at all? There's other things I'm sure they could have gone with but as people have said here, bad writing so I know I'm not alone here.

And what would've been G's Motivation to fight it if there is only one? The Philippines scene establishes the Muto's use Godzillas or anything radioactive as Baby Food. This establishes G's motivation to engage and kill the Muto's out of self preservation.

If you think this was implemented in the best way possible, more power to you. It was laughable the way it was done in a supposedly "dark" and "serious" movie such as this.

And that is just a nitpick compared to the real problem: that this was a terribly dull movie with terribly dull characters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well I finally saw this... why, why was this so hyped again? :(

Godzilla himself is barely in it, you barely see any of the fights ("oh how cute you see the monsters fighting for 2 seconds in a tv screen") except until the very end, and even then the movie is always so dark you barely see anything anyway (can we really still not do CGI during daytime?)

Im not saying it was terrible, but...yeah, I wasnt feeling it at all. Especially after all the hype

Darkmakaimura

well I finally saw this... why, why was this so hyped again? :(

Godzilla himself is barely in it, you barely see any of the fights ("oh how cute you see the monsters fighting for 2 seconds in a tv screen") except until the very end, and even then the movie is always so dark you barely see anything anyway (can we really still not do CGI during daytime?)
This too so, so much as well. Not so much that
Godzilla didn't have enough screen time but everything is dark. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's almost like those older horror movies where we barely see the monster because the effects would look to fake in the light. On top of it, it just adds to the already drabness of the dullness of it all. lol.

Sorry. I'm just that disappointed. I didn't expect much but the movie was worse than I expected.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like I am the only one who was very satisfied with the movie here... But I havent seen a full Godzilla flick since I was a little kid, so it was like 15 years ago...

Anyway, I have bought a couple of Blu-Rays with Hensai Godzilla Movies and the new one and I am excited to make a Godzilla marathon with a friend of mine next week, I hope they arent that bad (I am only there for some great Kajiu fights) :D

Subitai

I liked it a lot. I thought all the Jurrassic Park comparisons fit, but we won't know for ten years if it holds up the same way.

I liked it a lot. I thought all the Jurrassic Park comparisons fit, but we won't know for ten years if it holds up the same way.

it does not touch jurrasic parks by trillion mile. This was shittty movie. Utter shit. Godzilla and jurrasic park are two different movies. 1998 godzilla was better then this. Atleast that one i can still enjoy and laugh. It had some memorable scene and dialogues. This one can't even do that.

WoolyNinja

Didn't like it, and sadly it reminded me a lot of 2012 in that everything bad would somehow follow the main character(s) thought the film.

Not sure if spoilers, better to be safe.
What's that, you have to go to Japan - monsters. Oh, now you're going to Hawaii - monsters. Oh, you're trying to get to your girlfriend (wife - can't remember) on the US West Coast - monsters!

Just ridiculous amounts of unbelievable stuff like that killed this movie for me.

Dany

Banned
I really enjoyed it. I hated how they teased the fight :/ like show me godzilla killing some baddies.

the actual fight was awesome as hell thought grey and dark. L.

Just watched it for the first time on Blu-ray. It was awesome.

The only better Godzilla movie that I watched is the very first one. That's only because it's even darker and Godzilla is literally a metaphor for a walking atomic bomb. In the 2014 movie he was turned a bit too much into the hero of the later movies, despite not giving a shit about humans (this wasn't clear enough, especially he conveniently showed up to save people. Or casually killing others before :p ).

I was quite disappointed
at Cranston dying so early
in the movie as he was really putting some human emotion in this movie. But still, the rest of cast was still ok throughout. Mainly, because for me it's important in such a movie that they don't act stupid or annoying. Neither happened, not even cheese, really. The theme literally was: "Protect your family at all costs".

I loved the lore with the Godzilla skeleton, the atomic bomb "tests" and the reactor breach. Oh and DAT quarantined city, looked more awesome than NY in I Am Legend. The Blu-ray has some fake docs/military vids of the lore but unfortunately it's nothing that you can't already conclude from the movie itself :/
Most of the logic flaws I could also ignore thanks to suspension of disbelief. Considering the realistic attempt I can't say I blame people if they have bigger problems with that though.

Not enough Godzilla must be one of most misplaced complains about this movie. First of all, that's why there are other monsters, you see them all the time. It would maybe work if Godzilla was the only threat, but he's not, so showing them wrestling for an hour would be boring and look stupid. At least for the tone they were going for, this is NOT Pacific Rim or the 70s/80s Godzilla movies.
The scenes with Godzilla were SO much more impactful due to this. When he was shown, he was simply BOSS. DAT roar alone. Even hiding him in smoke etc. worked so well most of the time, like when he
charges up his breath attack.

Though I do agree that the cut to showing the first battle on the TV felt weird and unintentionally funny. Just a bit of fighting plus a quick escape would have been enough. The second time it worked much better because we follow the POV of the soldiers doing the Halo jump and we wonder how the city/monsters are doing after they clashed.

Basically, I already liked Monsters and I did expect exactly this with a higher budget, stakes and Monsters fighting each other. The two movies are good at world building, teasing and having the characters have a journy/tour through that hostile world (well, Monsters does a much better job here). Seems many people expected this to be Pacific Rim (which I also loved, it's just a very different kind of movie. Funny enough, I would have cut even more scenes of the humans in that movie because it just doesn't fit unlike in Godzillla).
The way the humans are integrated into the monster battles reminded me of Cloverfield minus shaky cam. This is how it should be IMO.
How can "the humans are making it worse" be a complain anyway, that's the whole story?! How boring would it have been to have the humans save the day by nuking them with their desperate trap (besides, they show this in their 50s video :p ), I'm picturing the admiral kicking the bomb to explosion while saying "eat this". Screw that.

Oh and a nice, brutal finishing move :D

Seems like I am the only one who was very satisfied with the movie here... But I havent seen a full Godzilla flick since I was a little kid, so it was like 15 years ago...

Anyway, I have bought a couple of Blu-Rays with Hensai Godzilla Movies and the new one and I am excited to make a Godzilla marathon with a friend of mine next week, I hope they arent that bad (I am only there for some great Kajiu fights) :D

I think Vs King Ghidorah and Vs MechaGodzilla are the standouts. The rest are pretty meh, with Vs Space Godzilla being the worst.

kewlmyc

This is the kind of movie that gets worse the more you watch it. Kind of like Prometheus for me, but not as bad. I watched it in theaters, loved it. Bought the BD, and now I'm not really feeling the movie all that well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really liked how Godzilla was still viewed as a "hero" of sorts, even if the Ending was a little cheesy and didn't really make sense since only Wantanabe and the Hero really had any reason to refer to him in heroic terms.

Yeah, I know he was pretty much a "villain" in the original black-and-white film, but I still sort of like the Heroic Godzilla. That's the Godzilla I'm most familiar with and, technically, the version of him that's the most prolific.

There were so many times in this movie where it seems like the humans were blind to miss the giant monsters though...speaking of which, I didn't really like the M.U.T.O. They seemed too weird for Godzilla, too alien-like compared to all the other classic monsters.

Sephzilla

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131209043551/pacificrim/images/4/4b/Biollante.jpg[img]

[img]http://i0.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Gigan1.jpg?resize=600%2C646[img]

[img]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/114/2/0/zmuto_by_dopepope-d7fu2or.jpg[img]

I dunno, I think, Biolante and Gigan look even more stranger than the MUTO. And much more Alien-like.[/QUOTE]

Well, Gigan [I]should [/I]look alien-like.

Man, seeing Biollante again made me remember how terrifyingly awesome that monster looked. Biollante is hands down the scariest looking Godzilla enemy to date.

[quote="Delta Assault, post: 132348206"]I think Vs King Ghidorah and Vs MechaGodzilla are the standouts. The rest are pretty meh, with Vs Space Godzilla being the worst.[/QUOTE]

I think the Heisei era is solid up until Vs Mothra. Godzilla 85 is an under appreciated gem.

Blablurn

I didnt mind the teasing. Espcially with the sequel coming up. Im sure they heard the criticism. With ghidorah and mothra coming up im sure Godzilla 2 will have enough fights.

But then people will complain that there are too many battles going on.

People will always find something to complain about.

Feebastic

I hope they manage to make Mothra a) cool, and b) fit with the new Godzilla aesthetic without making her just a huge lifelike butterfly.

Sephzilla

I didnt mind the teasing. Espcially with the sequel coming up. Im sure they heard the criticism. With ghidorah and mothra coming up im sure Godzilla 2 will have enough fights.

But then people will complain that there are too many battles going on.

People will always find something to complain about.

I'm torn on the teasing the new movie did. On the one hand, it gets annoying. On the flipside, I went and rewatched Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II and that movie blows its load super early, so the new movie could have easily had the same result had we actually seen the fight sequences sooner.

What happened? I remember following this thread when the movie came out and I thought consensus was that most people loved it.

Seems to have reversed now.

Blablurn

I bought the blu ray and still love it.
I just cant unsee the fact anymore that ken watanabe just keeps on staring into the distance for the greater part of the movie lol

Sephzilla

I bought the blu ray and still love it.
I just cant unsee the fact anymore that ken watanabe just keeps on staring into the distance for the greater part of the movie lol

My girlfriend had the neatest interpretation of it, imo.

Watanabe's character from the MUTO escape on-wards has this look of "I've seen a lot of shit in my time". That and he seems to know that what the military is trying to do isn't going to work but he cant necessarily think of any better suggestions outside of letting nature run its course, so he kind of just has that semi confused look of someone who's still trying to comprehend things and find a solution.

Blablurn

My girlfriend had the neatest interpretation of it, imo.

Watanabe's character from the MUTO escape on-wards has this look of "I've seen a lot of shit in my time". That and he seems to know that what the military is trying to do isn't going to work but he cant necessarily think of any better suggestions outside of letting nature run its course, so he kind of just has that semi confused look of someone who's still trying to comprehend things and find a solution.

Haha that could actually be the case.

Still funny tho.

Blablurn

I always think the hate against Pazific Rim is stupid. Its a movie about giant Monsters fighting giant robots. What do you expect, a concurrent to Shakespear and Goethe?
Most people said there was too much story in pacific rim. Especially in the middle. The lack of action makes people worry.

Sephzilla

My biggest complaint about 2014's Godzilla is kind of unfair.

I was hoping, based off of the early trailers, that we were going to get more of a horror movie Godzilla. I was kind of hoping we were going to get a Godzilla 1985-Redux type of movie where Godzilla is unquestionably the borderline evil force of nature who is legitimately frightening. Instead we got essentially a 21st century Show Era movie, which is by no stretch of the imagination a bad thing.

I always think the hate against Pazific Rim is stupid. Its a movie about giant Monsters fighting giant robots. What do you expect, a concurrent to Shakespear and Goethe?

Pacific Rim's biggest problem was that it blew its load too early (specifically, the fight in Hong Kong) and everything after that failed to measure up. It also killed off all the interesting characters -- the Russian and Chinese teams -- and left us staring into the void of talent and charisma that was the two leads.

Godzilla's problems stemmed from poor direction for its human cast and a generally ho-hum script. It absolutely nails the sense of scope and build-up to the battle in SF, though, which is why I personally find it the better of the two.

Top Bottom