• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

We are ants to him why would he care about what we do?. Also there are a few movies where he has "saved" us from something

Yeah, Godzilla the anti-hero, saving humanity is just the end result of him showing other monsters who's boss, and that's alright. Basically there are giant near unstoppable beings, we just get the hell out of Godzilla's way as he confronts them.

Amalthea

Banned
The problem is that the film adresses not clearly that the baby monsters would've needed to kill Godzilla and cocoon themselves up inside him like those in the giant monster fossil.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You know, it is funny but I never figured out what Godzilla is supposed to be. Is he like the Weapons in FFVII and somehow tied to protecting the Earth or something?

Blablurn

You know, it is funny but I never figured out what Godzilla is supposed to be. Is he like the Weapons in FFVII and somehow tied to protecting the Earth or something?

For me it sounded like he was coming from a time that was even before the Dinosaurs. When everything was radioactive.

The movies dither back and forth on this. He's described as:

An ancient creature awoken by nuclear testing
Or
The vengeful spirit of the earth sent forth because of mankind's arrogance and destruction of the earth.

And don't even get me started on wtf Mothra is.

No, he's just a prehistoric animal on the hunt for MUTO's. The Muto themselves will use anything radioactive as a food source for their offspring which includes godzilla; and he knows it, which is why he hunts them down, to prevent himself from becoming Muto Baby Formula.

Jackpot

Banned
My takeaway from the film was how useless the humans were. The airport explosions that might have killed thousands were because of them, Golden Gate bridge was due to them and the whole almost-nuking of San Francisco was a problem entirely of their own creation. The only contribution they made was blowing up the hive at the end.

Loofy

Amazing movie, I hope kickass isnt in the sequel.

Also. This entire time I thought Daryl Sabara(weeds) and Aaron Taylor were the same person.
VplhGbB.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
bummed me out a bit as I was hoping something somewhat similar to the original Black/White version. Bleak as shit.

The reveal trailer was super grim, with bodies everywhere, destroyed cities.

The movie ended up nowhere near as dark and that was super unfortunate.

They should have killed Kickass and left Walter White alive.

The script isn't bad. the motivations aren't bad. The words coming out of the actors mouths aren't even that bad.

What's bad is that Gareth Edwards cannot direct actors, and therefore nothing that any of the actors do has any weight or nuance (aside from Cranston, who appears to be directing himself looking at his performance contrasted with ANYONE else's) and it makes people who are legitimately talented, people like David Strathairn and Sally Hawkins and Ken Watanabe and yes, even Elizabeth Olson and Aaron Taylor Johnson, all come off like cardboard.

Gareth Edwards cannot direct actors. He can't, and he doesn't, and if there's a single problem with Godzilla, it isn't the effects, it's not the lack of monsters, and it's not the tone. It's that Edwards has wasted a cast almost as poorly as Lucas wasted everyone in the Prequels.

Which is why whatever Star Wars spinoff he ends up doing is likely going to feel the MOST like a classic Lucasfilm joint.

That said - I liked Godzilla, because if ever there was a movie where you could get away with the humans being as cardboard and artificial as the sets our monsters will be knocking over, it's Godzilla.

wait... you thought the spy kids boy was Kick ass....

What, you don't think these two people look alike? Because they very much do:

sphagnum

Banned
The humans being worthless and having trite motivations and literally doing nothing to really save the day (their ultimately plan is a failure, so I guess aborting their plan is sort of a a heroic moment) is actually, I think, not a narrative failure but an interesting way to show the irrelevance of humans next to these titanic gods.

I enjoyed it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe Watanabe will play a different rambling scientist in each movie, including fake beards and such, like in the old movies.

I thought original Serizawa died
and the oxygen destroyer became Destroyah

My takeaway from the film was how useless the humans were. The airport explosions that might have killed thousands were because of them, Golden Gate bridge was due to them and the whole almost-nuking of San Francisco was a problem entirely of their own creation. The only contribution they made was blowing up the hive at the end.

I thought that was the idea though, that the humans aren't really equipped to handle with this kind of problem. With that said I still laugh at that golden gate bridge incident.

Or
The vengeful spirit of the earth sent forth because of mankind's arrogance and destruction of the earth.

LegendaryGoji is former. A supplemental comic also considers him as one.

At least we're 100% sure he isn't an "embodiment of dead Japanese soldiers who are full of rage" like in GMK lol

The problem is that the film adresses not clearly that the baby monsters would've needed to kill Godzilla and cocoon themselves up inside him like those in the giant monster fossil.

I thought it was more implied that it was because the Godzilla species have a bunch of radiation in them, hence the eggs were laid on a nuclear bomb?

Yeah OK i totally see the same person now.

This is sort of ridiculous, what you're doing.

You realize "looks similar" isn't the same as "looks identical" right? I'm not saying they're fuckin' twins or clones or whatever. Just that they share similar facial features. I'm sure if you stare at their faces for longer than 30 seconds you'll spot all sorts of differences, which makes sense considering they're two completely different fuckin' people. But that doesn't mean it's somehow silly for someone to look at them and maybe confuse one for the other.

I thought original Serizawa died
and the oxygen destroyer became Destroyah

You are (I believe) correct, sir.

Or

It's pretty clearly the former.
That's the point.

strobogo

Banned
The humans being worthless and having trite motivations and literally doing nothing to really save the day (their ultimately plan is a failure, so I guess aborting their plan is sort of a a heroic moment) is actually, I think, not a narrative failure but an interesting way to show the irrelevance of humans next to these titanic gods.

I enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure it is the terrible dialog that made humans irrelevant in the movie. I don't think you were supposed to have zero attachment to any of the humans.

Loki

Count of Concision
Saw this yesterday. Pretty terrible. Some sick action shots, though. The sense of Godzilla's massiveness conveyed in some of the scenes is awesome - like when he's swimming under the water under some Navy ships, and when moving through the city.

Any estimates on how tall Godzilla is in this movie? Not sure which buildings he's moving among for reference.

Hated this movie. Kickass guywas terrible as a lead. Ken Watanbe should have played a larger role in the movie. I remember when he popped up again at the end, I was like " oh yeah he was in this movie."

I was with the movie til that first fight scene when
they cut away from a fight scene to show that kid watching it on TV. I don't know
The whole thing felt like a big fuck you.

Dialogue was terrible. too much exposition so no one talked naturally.

I finally got around to watching this with a friend who's a pretty big Godzilla fan. Man, it wasn't a good movie. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good. I wanted to see Godzilla fight a monster for, oh, I don't know, more than 2-3 minutes during a session? and what happened in
Hawaii?
dear god the perfect example of building up something to what ended up being a total a let down by making us
looking at bits of the battle on a tv screen and not showing what I really wanted to see which was two kaiju's fighting it out for a semi-decent amount of time

Also, the constant cut-away's to what the humans were doing was frustrating and in the end really killed it whatever enjoyment I might have had for the movie, personally.

Boss Doggie

Hated this movie. Kickass guywas terrible as a lead. Ken Watanbe should have played a larger role in the movie. I remember when he popped up again at the end, I was like " oh yeah he was in this movie."

I was with the movie til that first fight scene when The whole thing felt like a big fuck you.

Dialogue was terrible. too much exposition so no one talked naturally.
I finally got around to watching this with a friend who's a pretty big Godzilla fan. Man, it wasn't a good movie. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good. I wanted to see Godzilla fight a monster for, oh, I don't know, more than 2-3 minutes during a session? and what happened in
Hawaii?
dear god the perfect example of building up something to what ended up being a total a let down by making us
looking at bits of the battle on a tv screen and not showing what I really wanted to see which was two kaiju's fighting it out for a semi-decent amount of time

Also, the constant cut-away's to what the humans were doing was frustrating and in the end really killed it whatever enjoyment I might have had for the movie, personally.

The "cut to the kid" made sense because you already see the whole fight - MUTO guy just flies away as soon as Big G comes in. You're not really "missing" anything. Same with the second cut-away, we see their fight after the supposed closed door.

And eh, say what you want about the acting but the reaction of Ford's family is pretty much natural. At least they didn't suffer from "horror genre character's disease" a lot of disaster films suffer.

But there's a difference between being shown up as insignificant insects next to true power and having half the plot centred on people going around creating more problems.

That's the idea though - they made the problem worse, hence why the final act was them getting the problem they caused away while they let the Big G handle the problem.

Bluth54

The "cut to the kid" made sense because you already see the whole fight - MUTO guy just flies away as soon as Big G comes in. You're not really "missing" anything. Same with the second cut-away, we see their fight after the supposed closed door.

They should of really had a small fight instead of just having the muto fly away from Godzilla. Pretty much every Godzilla movie has smaller fights leading up to the big fight at the end, it would of been enough to have maybe a 3 or 4 minute fight where the Muto is clearly getting beaten by Godzilla. Add in a couple of minutes of the other muto attacking Las Vegas and maybe another minute or two of Godzilla coming on shore and being attacked by the military and I think a lot of complaints that people had about the lack of Godzilla/monsters in this movie would of been gone.

Boss Doggie

They should of really had a small fight instead of just having the muto fly away from Godzilla. Pretty much every Godzilla movie has smaller fights leading up to the big fight at the end, it would of been enough to have maybe a 3 or 4 minute fight where the Muto is clearly getting beaten by Godzilla. Add in a couple of minutes of the other muto attacking Las Vegas and maybe another minute or two of Godzilla coming on shore and being attacked by the military and I think a lot of complaints that people had about the lack of Godzilla/monsters in this movie would of been gone.

I honestly believe it's more of a misinterpretation of scenes and admittedly a lack of interesting leads. MUTO female did attack LV, we see scenes of it here and there. I guess people weren't just paying much attention.

And depends really. Only few movies have stand-out small fights before the big fight (my favorite being Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla), but then it's mostly because Big G and kaijuu existence have been established early on. Other movies that tried that (Megalon) tend to be sucky.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, this was one of the films major pacing errors. It built up to Godzilla and the muto meeting on Hawaii, and then cut away from it for a sight gag. They should have shown the fight, and then cut to the kid watching it on the news. Would have gotten the same effect and been much more satisfying.

Wouldn't have saved the abysmal human elements post-Cranston, but it would have been something.

MauMau

Banned
The movie was also too dark. The final battle... just too dark. I kept thinking how much they were saving on CG dollars by doing that.

The movie was just bad all around. Not even a "good B movie" bad. It was a bad B movie bad. No good.

And I kept waiting for the kid's mom to show up ala Barbara Streisand, but nope...

I very much enjoy the film, but even I would have to admit that some of the shine will come off the apple for people who only see in on a screen at home.

Theatrically, it was pretty damn boss. Epic scale done right. Somebody who only saw it at home wouldn't have quite the same experience.

Savitar

I had huge hopes for the movie due to the trailers.

I thought it was okay, some good, quite a few disappointments.

The film should have focused on Watanabe and Cranston. Cranston especially. He was the heart of the film and once he was gone all I wanted to see was Godzilla doing his thing against the other two MUTO's. There wasn't enough of that, probably didn't help that neither MUTO alone really seemed like a creature capable of taking down Godzilla unless they double teamed against him. Godzilla killing one by slamming his tail against it into the building was pretty great and breathing atomic fire down the others throat was great as well.

And like some said the whole people cheering him was weird. It was too much of a throw back to the Godzilla films where he's played straight up the hero. But in this movie Godzilla shouldn't be the hero. A creature that killed the other two, but definitely not exactly something that people think "Oh yeah he is on our side!".

Scoot2005

Banned
Just watched it a bit ago. Some naysayers made me worry and I am glad that they were wrong. I loved every second of this movie. It was fucking awesome and I hope they do more.

Plus
Godzilla breathing fire down that motherfuckers throat. Brutal. Night GAF!

Top Bottom