• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

Datschge

Lindsay said:
Would anyone happen to know if a soundtrack cd(s) has been released for this game yet and if so a good place to pick it up from? I regret missing out getting ones for GS/TLA an don't want that to happen again!
The only official Golden Sun related CD ever released is this one, there aren't any other official ones.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The only official soundtrack released for this is a ten-track cd including some rearrangements and many original sound songs. You are better just ripping off the audio from this.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Datschge said:
The only official Golden Sun related CD ever released is this one, there aren't any other official ones.
Regulus Tera said:
The only official soundtrack released for this is a ten-track cd including some rearrangements and many original sound songs. You are better just ripping off the audio from this.

My bad for assuming every rpg (and most games in general) get soundtrack releases x_x Its especially bad that this one don't since unlike the previous games there is no soundtest thingy!

So I finally finished the game! Some thoughts below.

The game isn't as good as the original two but still good. I have to say that the puzzles overall were not as interesting or demanding as the original 2 either but there were a few standouts
3 goats :D
. I also felt that the touchscreen was under-utilised for psynergy as well. Would've been cool to see some more touch specific psynergy.

Speaking of easy, the battles are even easier than the original games! With the sole exception of
the final boss who suddenly becomes rock hard!

The OST is surprisingly fantastic! Sakuraba's best work overall since Baten Kaitos (which is really shocking considering how much his standard has slipped since then, when he spread himself way too thin) It's like he's been in hibernation all these years and has just woken up again!

What really stood out to me was how it didn't seem very epic, which is a surprise considering how the original GBA games' story was as epic as it gets! I quite liked how the story seemed a bit more laid back than the original games but
holy crap, this game is the epitome of pointless fetch quest diversions! I couldn't help but laugh every time the game came up with yet another excuse to prevent you from going to see the mountain roc. Ok we got to the cloud machine oh it's not working, go and fix it (so I do). Ok now can we use it? No, go get this other item (so I do). Now? No, it's not fluffy enough, go get this other item (argh!!!)

The whole game feels like a prologue for a much bigger and more epic GS4 for 3DS
Throughout the whole game, I was wondering why the hell the developers just ignored the psynergy vortexes, and then they pull the most blatant of all cliff hangers short of a "to be continued" (the end?). I do like the concept of Dark Adepts and Dark Psynergy though (if a bit cliche) as well as the Mourning Moon, it's obviously gonna comprise the main plotline of GS4, considering that this game leaves more questions than it answers!

The fact that you only really explore half the world map (and not even get to go to Sol Sanctum, after all that teasing!) is also telling of a sequel.
I swear, the Takahashi brothers just simply get off on cliffhangers!

So in the end I enjoyed it, but it's still the weakest of the series. The fact that they
introduced the Dragon Chandeller from the EU advert for the original GS as a summon
goes a long way to making that up for me though!

Now to fight those optional bosses :D
who I hear are rock hard and even more terrifyingly hard than Dullahan!

Keikoku said:
Is it okay to jump in the series with this game ?

The game does a great job (maybe too great) getting people who've never played the previous games up to speed.

That being said, you'll still appreciate it more if you play the previous games.

If you have any plans on playing the previous games, do note that Dark Dawn will spoil the story for the last 2 games.

Keikoku

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
The game does a great job (maybe too great) getting people who've never played the previous games up to speed.

That being said, you'll still appreciate it more if you play the previous games.

If you have any plans on playing the previous games, do note that Dark Dawn will spoil the story for the last 2 games.

I only have a DSi :( I did play the first Golden Sun though, but never beat it, so I'm not exactly a newcomer to the series.

Cygnus X-1

Finished two weeks ago. Well, battle system great as always. Integration of psinergy, djinn and weapons was nice as long as you kept remaining in many places in order to increase your experience level, as I did. Music was quite good, but not as good as the first two games.

I hated the 8-person thing. Too many of them = boring and repetitive, because I always had the other members 10-15 levels ahead and I had to increase their levels. I really hated the fact that the Lost age had the 8-person system in the end and the fact that this idea has been implemented from the beginning in Dark Dawn was really one of the worst decision Camelot could take.

Story was very disappointing. Boring, flat, without surprises. Characters were not deep enough. By far. And the discussions Terry-Karis were the only "slightly amusing" moments. Return of Kraden was useless and the entire repetition of "what the Vale's heroes did in the past" could have sense only if it wouldn't have been a so big part of the entire game. Isaac and co. were more present than Matthew and co. during the entire plot.

Also the exploration of the game was too linear and the number of side-quests were limited to the research of djinns and of new evocations. Evocations that were mostly useless, because of the little time one had in order to really explore how to integrate them during the battle. The entire game was too short in order to make a good use of djinn and evocations. And note that I finished with 75 hours with 40-50 of them passed making random battles.

And the puzzles were way to easy. Everywhere the solutions was too easy to find and there were no strategies to think about a bit.

So, well, the first Golden Sun remains the best. Camelot did not put in this sequel enough time and work IMO.

Mr. Wonderful said:
WTF at this game's story?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No, seriously. I beat the game today. What the fuck where they thinking when they wrote this game's story.

Thinking about it, this game is a solid 8, in that a 7 implies that the game is bad, and an 8.5 would imply that the game is actually kind of good.

How about this game in general? The game's battle system was so easy that it was essentially a none gameplay element. Eventually you realize you can just cast Avoid and hammer A through EVERY single battle (outside of three or four "Boss" battles) throughout the entire game.

Not to mention the game is way too wordy in the beginning of the game repeating itself multiple times about the Warriors of Vale, and then in the second half of the game when the story, you know, should be starting to get heavy and the character development should be taking off, the game clams up and keeps dialog almost at a minimum.

I mean, when you get Himi, the plot (oh, and also the entirety of her character development) goes no further than saying that this King's daughter is really sick. The queen shrieks from the other room, apparently sick too. You go talk to the girl, oh this magic ball you found earlier cures her and gives her ESP powers and the King says that's it, you should accompany them.

That's all.

...What the fuck.

Oh, and by the way, if the game pulls any more of that "I know the enemy really is but I'm not going to tell you right now because it just isn't the time" (By the way, it's never the fucking time) I'm going to go crazy.

Fact of the matter is, we can't be in denial and pretend this isn't a game aimed at preteens and tweens. The pointlessly easy difficulty and simple, even bad for generic anime story combine for a game experience that is not meant for adults, as disappointing as that may be for fans of the first two games.

In the end, Dark Dawn was a fun game who's constantly jogging pace made for an addicting time sink perfect for my winter break. It's hard, however, to not come away disappointed as to what I spent my only free time for gaming on.

Now I must decide whether to sell the game, or if I should keep it for any use of the clear data in GS4. Thing is, I'm not exactly attached to either my characters or equipment because of the bad story and battle system, respectively.

Yeah, more or less my thoughts.

"I know the enemy really is but I'm not going to tell you right now because it just isn't the time"

Yeah, I just kept think of Super Paper Mario's "Mr L" whenever I saw
Arcanus/Alex
Yeah, cause it wasn't blindingly obvious or anything :lol (I miss the smileys :( )

Still enjoyed the game anyhow. Sets the story up real nicely for another sequel...

masterkajo

I got to play the first Golden Sun back when it came out but because my GB died a while after I never played the second.
Still I couldn't resist and bought this baby yesterday. about 4 Djinns in and loving it! The Djinn system is so well thought out IMO and there are so many possibilities. Reminds me back when I was young and played the first game...

mandiller

Okay, so I've got all the djinn and summon tables as well as got all my party members to level 99. I've clocked in at 41 hours. I think I'm done with Dark Dawn. It was a nice romp into my nostalgia for the past games but the story was a bit lacklustre. There were some nice bits but it didn't reach the same standards as GS1 or 2. Will buy another sequel though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So yeah, I'm in belinsk after going activating luna tower now....

Wtfbbq. This is a little dark for Golden Sun, isn't it?

Edit: Oh god.

"Ahhh.... Nothing like a nice lie-down to relax you. Probably time to get up now... Why can't I move?" D:

Edit: Briggs!

-x.Red.x-

Just finished the game :)
who here was crazy to see
older jenna? ahhhhhhhhh I wanted to see her...
my views
the beginning, middle were fuck awesome GS type, but the ending was a total letdown...
too chessy, big bad guy kills himself for the rest... really camelot??
P/C story wise and me nitpicking
Cons: too easy and too streamlined... no big (new) twist (fighting your family member at the end)
I didn't see any of the old members only issac and garet... :/
battles too fucking easy, im going to do post quests and hopefully it will be fun like the originals post quest bosses.
Pros: had the nice old GS feeling.
the story itself was okay but like i said nothing OMG. but im happy
thank god for the cliffhanger, i would have killed someone if GS were to end like that....

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm wondering if part of the problem with the game being so easy is that we all got all the djinn? I suppose that when you have so many djinn, you can't assume that every player will get all of them, so you have the enemies' stats and levels designed assuming a certain baseline of djinn, and, well, camelot undershot that in Dark Dawn?
Maybe it would help if the different classes only rearranged stats instead of raising them, just from a design standpoint.

I mean, The Lost Age only had like 45-50 djinn total obtainable in the game max (the rest had to be transferred over), and it was a pretty long game

Edit: Okay, forget Kraden, HOW THE FUCK IS OBABA STILL ALIVE?

Christ...the intro followed by constant tutorial and pointless chattering is brutal as hell. I'm tryin to make it through, but I don't know if I can. The 15 or so seconds of gameplay I've had so far have been pretty nice though.

Teknoman

Chauncy Talon said:
I can see why you said that. The story is not the best and the gameplay is nothing unique. I just like the game because it the typical JRPG. I know my grammar is not the best, but I spot a bunch of grammacal errors. I always wonder why companies don't hire somebody with an English major to read the manuals and dialog in the game. It can help a lot of imported games to be localized.

Beside that note, I'm loving it. It what I use to play, JRPGs. I don't care for the story. I have not had my "WOW" moment yet, but I'm only 7 hours into the game. I just love to level grind in the traditional turnbased JRPG.

I think the problem is, most traditional JRPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, etc.) aren't as unnecessarily wordy or are so low in difficulty. I havent beaten the game yet, but Dark Dawn gives you so many rare weapons in the field and other skills early on, that nothing really poses that much of a challenge. Not to mention i'm finding myself not having to spend money or hold onto attack items as much as you should have to in an RPG.

I dont want something thats soul crushingly hard...but jeez. I really like old school style JRPGs, but when they become this easy and this wordy for normal conversations, it kind of puts you to sleep. Maybe I should just take a break and come back to it later after finishing DQIX or FF 4 heroes of light.

EDIT: Also should I hold onto these rare weapons for forging later on? Because between books, equipment, and holding onto weapons, i'm running out of room.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Teknoman said:
I think the problem is, most traditional JRPGs (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, etc.) aren't as unnecessarily wordy or are so low in difficulty. I havent beaten the game yet, but Dark Dawn gives you so many rare weapons in the field and other skills early on, that nothing really poses that much of a challenge. Not to mention i'm finding myself not having to spend money or hold onto attack items as much as you should have to in an RPG.

I dont want something thats soul crushingly hard...but jeez.

EDIT: Also should I hold onto these rare weapons for forging later on? Because between books, equipment, and holding onto weapons, i'm running out of room.
You can rebuy any artifacts you sell from any store in the world.

Teknoman

Regulus Tera said:
You can rebuy any artifacts you sell from any store in the world.

Oh, well in that case, free space time lol. Also I will say the music is pretty nice, summon animations too.

About to start... any missable stuff? I know there were some missable items in the first GS, but they were minor. I mean Djinns and important stuff like that.

Kifimbo

Allan Holdsworth said:
About to start... any missable stuff? I know there were some missable items in the first GS, but they were minor. I mean Djinns and important stuff like that.

Yes, Djinns. Twice, you won't be able to go back. But the game will tell you when it's the case.

Teknoman

Yeah, if anyone in the game says something indicating "you might not return", make sure you've explored the past areas thoroughly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Teknoman said:
Yeah, if anyone in the game says something indicating "you might not return", make sure you've explored the past areas thoroughly.
The only time they actually say this is at the one place you can actually return.

Maffis

Just finished it around 24 hours.

Really dissapointing game. Story was just bad. Simply bad. Too many characters in your party with no story or development at all (see Eleoeo, or whatever his name is, and Himi). The whole game is just about a stupid Roc Feather, but the bad guys trick you 10 times into doing what they want. They just talked about what the Warrior's of Vale did all the time.

Combat was so easy too, except for the final boss and the optional bosses, but even they were too easy for being the optional bosses. Game was very linear with very easy puzzles that needed no logicial thinking at all, and the dungeon design was very linear too. And oh god, psynergy. Fucking psynergy. Slow-ass casts and needed all the time. It just destroyed the pacing for me. Not much too explore in the world either.

Even with all my complaints I still finished it and enjoyed it somewhat. It's just that I expected more from the awesome Golden Sun 2.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just defeated the last extra boss, and despite absolutely loving the hype factor during the battle I am disappointed that the same strategy I used in the previous games worked once again here. It's a shame because at that point the game finally ramped up a bit in difficulty, and it had me doing more than just mashing A to go through. Anyway:

GOOD
+ The battle system is still very fun to use.
+ The puzzles are amazing. They are not what I was expecting regarding touchscreen implementation (the one with the goats would have been a lot easier if they let you use the stylus instead of pushing them around), but all the puzzles in the game have a really natural flow that don't make you question what the well were the architects of the dungeon thinking.
+ Plenty of fanservice to throw you a cookie and make you grin like an idiot.
+ The story is kept simple enough. Nothing too surprising, but nothing too cringe-worthy.
+ The interface is streamlined, it's just that some people (like myself) focus on the touchscreen almost exclusively after being conditioned by almost every other DS game these past six years.
+ Very well paced. People who complain about the fetch-questing around the 80% mark must have cried their hearts out when Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin sets in.
+ Music. I think this is Sakuraba's best work in quite a while.
+ Graphics are gorgeous. It's wonderful to look at this game in motion, and little touches like giving each Djinn an original sprite are magnificent.

BAD
- Game is too easy.
- Eight party members are too many. It worked in The Lost Age because you spent an entire game with each group, giving you plenty of time to become attached to each one of them. The characters would be pretty likable if we just went to the beach together and ate ice cream.
- Too short. The plot ends leaving you baffled at how much stuff is unresolved, and just how the stuff that got resolved got resolved so quickly.
- Too many Djinni are just given for free.
- Game is too easy.

It seems to me that the Takahashi brothers were trying to make an entry-level RPG, who knows what for. And that's okay, really -not every game has to cater with my obsessive masochistic addiction of CHALLENGE CHALLENGE CHALLENGE. But in doing so they forgot that at least the first two Golden Suns had more to offer beyond the flashy summons, and that they actually encouraged a careful balance of Psynergy vs. Djinn utilisation. That was an integral part of the Golden Sun experience, if not the most important part, and it could have easily been solved by either handing out less EXP (I was level 40 when I entered Crossbone Isle, and I came out as level 52; I was there for less than two hours and most of that was spent on puzzle-solving) or adding difficulty levels.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn looks like Golden Sun, smells like Golden Sun, and tastes like Golden Sun. It just doesn't have enough meat stuck to the bone to delight your Golden Sun-craving palate.

AJ8u2.gif
YqHmC.gif
bhufA.gif

I give Golden Sun Dark Dawn three funny-looking Mercury Djinni out of five.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm hoping that they take all the criticism around and improve it for Golden Sun 4. In many ways this seems like a pilot to a long-running shounen anime. The characters and the world rules are already fleshed-out, time to stop the hand-holding and just go nuts with it.

Then again, considering how it sold, I doubt Golden Sun 4 is even in pre-production. :(

Yuterald

I finished this game back in early January, but I got it on xmas day. Leading up to Dark Dawns release I pretty much marathon-ed the first two games. I played all three back to back within a two month frame. The Lost Age was definitely my favorite of the three. For one, I felt it was the most challenging, even though all three of the games have a similar difficulty level despite all the whining and complaining I've seen about how 'easy' the third game was compared to the previous titles.

I think time clouded most peoples judgment on the difficulty level of Dark Dawn compared to the first two games. Playing them back to back, all three had their 'moments' where some boss fights were harder than others. The Lost Age also had the coolest world map, the most interesting story, fantastic dungeons, solid Sakuraba OST, and the coolest bonus dungeons/content in the series. With the additional hard mode for replays, The Lost Age was the definitive GBA RPG and probably the best Camelot title so far.

I definitely didn't care for the story in Dark Dawn at all. Although, it feels more like the first game so if they were planning the third title to be the build up to the fourth game then I guess it's fine. I actually REALLY enjoyed Motoi's contributions with this game. It felt like the good old Sakuraba I know and love. Besides Resonance of Fate, a lot of his music recently has sucked balls. Forget any Tales title having a good soundtrack, it was nice to hear his PSone era music style return. I thought the dungeons were REALLY well done in Dark Dawn as well. Some of the best in the series. The puzzles and Psyenergy tools and how they were implemented reeked of an almost Zelda-like quality. The dungeons felt like they had that perfect Nintendo-polish that one would expect when playing a mainline Zelda/Nintendo title.

In the end, I just appreciate and enjoy the fact that Camelot still makes classic feeling RPGs. I always felt that if you are looking for challenge when playing a Golden Sun game then you are not looking at it the right way. If you want a challenging Camelot title, check out Beyond the Beyond.

Gvaz

Banned
I wish this didn't have such a cliffhanger ending :\

The side bosses were easy as heck, and the endboss this time was a total pushover. I would have gone back to unlock the post-game dungeon and bosses, but somehow it feels like too much effort and I'm not really missing anything.

Also what ticked me off was the still rare drops that are required for the rare items.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I wish this game had the scale of the first game and didn't feel ridiculously easy. Honestly, the only characters that ever mattered to me were the original 4 characters, Amiti, and Sveta. The other two can bury themselves for all I care. The story wasn't even that grand and honestly, the summons didn't feel like there was any use except for summon rushes. Ugh, I waited years for this game and this left a bad taste in my mouth.

farnham

Banned
i played this game for a few hours before diving into pokemon black and white and i like it so far

i really like the fact that you have an encyclopedia that explains you story bits and characters when you click at the hyperlink. its a good way to get people in that have played the predecessors a long time ago.

graphics are fine for DS i like em. it suffers FF7itus as it has different models for the overworld and battles (not a good thing imo).

overall i think i wont be finishing this game anytime soon as i have tales of graces and xenoblade to finish first. but they have a solid foundation going on. hopefully the potential will get realized later on.

AniHawk

just finished it. at first it felt like an epilogue to the first two games. the events of golden sun and the lost age cast a pretty large shadow over what everyone does in dark dawn. also, nothing really happens in dark dawn that couldn't have been prevented by matthew and company staying at home.
i completely forgot about the point of it, but wasn't it supposed to be about finding a fucking feather?
there's a lot of shit they got swept up in to get there and it did not feel natural at all.

game was quite dull. it was more like the first golden sun in that respect, but i think the puzzles were better in this game.

what the series needs is an actual final boss. they used the 'fight against your loved ones' thing already, so it didn't need to happen in this game. i assume if there's ever a golden sun 4, the final battle would be against alex in the ruins of vale.

if the story wasn't boring, i probably might have been able to actually enjoy the game. the controls, specifically, choosing and using psynergy could have been way fucking better. only two options for psynergy? what the shit. at least have something on the touch screen or let us hold down a button to switch to a reserve unit of extra instant psynergy moves. the puzzles were decent, but the constant going back into the menu (and the animation of the psynergy) was so god damn time-consuming.

i'll probably be down for a final one, if it happens. it would need to be a far more streamlined game, and a lot more like the lost age as far as pacing goes.

gogojira

Out of nowhere bump, but I'm tempted to get this at $20. I'm a little bit hesitant after reading some of the impressions in this thread, but the price has my leaning towards getting it.

I'm kind of wanting to pick up a DS RPG, too. Is it a pretty good buy at $20 or should I pay the $15 or so more and pick up something like Radiant Historia or one of the Dragon Quest games (already got IX)?

Edgeward

Pony up the extra dough and get DQ5 while amazon still has some in stock. Currently discounted to $30,and is the best of the series.

Shoogoo

I've played about 8 hours of this, and I don't like it for being too easy.

Does it get better by the end or should I ditch it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shoogoo said:
I've played about 8 hours of this, and I don't like it for being too easy.

Does it get better by the end or should I ditch it?

If you don't like it now you won't enjoy the rest.

Boney

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Did this game bomb? Seemed like it was released and then forgotten :(

P.S. I bought it, don't blame me. I love Camelot.
I blame Camelot for making a crappy game.

Gvaz

Banned
I blame camelot for making a game that doesn't really improve itself from lost age and is way too easy

Aeana

I haven't finished it yet, but I thought the game was pretty good. It satisfied what Dragon Quest 9 left empty for me, which is a huge plus.

Aeana

The only real sticking point for me is how verbose all of the dialog is. It bothered me in the other two games, too, though, so it's not like it's a huge difference.

It'd be nice if Camelot took some lessons from Falcom on how to write a lot of dialog without making it a chore to read (everybody in this thread should be playing Trails in the Sky).

I saw this for cheap in my local store (£12) but all the talk of it being easy and disappointing just made me ignore it. Did I make the wrong decision? (I am not that big of a Golden Sun fan in the first place)
Aeana said:
I haven't finished it yet, but I thought the game was pretty good. It satisfied what Dragon Quest 9 left empty for me, which is a huge plus.
You didn't like DQIX? :eek:

Aeana

Magicpaint said:
You didn't like DQIX? :eek:
I like it, but it felt like DQ Lite in a lot of ways to me, plus there were a lot of changes/additions that I didn't care for (such as quests and the randomly visible enemies). I guess it's a mid-tier DQ game for me. Either way, it left me wanting when I finished it - wasn't completely satisfied.

Aeana said:
I like it, but it felt like DQ Lite in a lot of ways to me, plus there were a lot of changes/additions that I didn't care for (such as quests and the randomly visible enemies). I guess it's a mid-tier DQ game for me. Either way, it left me wanting when I finished it - wasn't completely satisfied.
Ah! Well the idea of you not liking a DQ was too shocking for me to take in! I myself have only played about 10-ish hours of it, and tbqh it didn't do a lot for me for those ten hours (didn't like the quests but didn't mind the randomly visible enemies even though it wasn't as well implemented as it was in Joker), but I played it at a wrong time where I couldn't fully commit myself to videogames so I am looking forward to giving it a second chance, hopefully I like it!

Aeana

Magicpaint said:
Ah! Well the idea of you not liking a DQ was too shocking for me to take in! I myself have only played about 10-ish hours of it, and tbqh it didn't do a lot for me for those ten hours (didn't like the quests but didn't mind the randomly visible enemies even though it wasn't as well implemented as it was in Joker), but I played it at a wrong time where I couldn't fully commit myself to videogames so I am looking forward to giving it a second chance, hopefully I like it!
At the very least, it finally gives the Dragon Quest series a sensible class system.

Top Bottom