• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
The only real sticking point for me is how verbose all of the dialog is. It bothered me in the other two games, too, though, so it's not like it's a huge difference.

It'd be nice if Camelot took some lessons from Falcom on how to write a lot of dialog without making it a chore to read (everybody in this thread should be playing Trails in the Sky).

I have to agree that the dialog was a pain to read. It's really not interesting and most of the time they broke the flow of action to start talking about geographical features and history or whatever else. Your friend gets kidnapped then they start talking about the town near the dungeon, the history of the town and so on. They characters never really talk about each others, most of the time they serve as tour guide to explain what is going on and where they should go.

Overall I liked the game but found it very easy (if you don't take into account the extra dungeons that open up after beating the game). The only difficult boss was a sidequest boss
The one on the ghost ship
. The game also rewards exploration. This is getting rare in the HD era.

Aeana said:
At the very least, it finally gives the Dragon Quest series a sensible class system.
Really? I really liked the one in DQIII a lot (and even VI/VII despite the overwhelming amount of needless skills). While I like the idea of mixing the skill system with the class system, I'm not sure I like the compromises, like not being able to keep you spells after changing vocation. But that's in theory; I didn't get far enough to test it for myself so I'll take your word for it.

Aeana

Magicpaint said:
Really? I really liked the one in DQIII a lot (and even VI/VII despite the overwhelming amount of needless skills). While I like the idea of mixing the skill system with the class system, I'm not sure I like the compromises, like not being able to keep you spells after changing vocation. But that's in theory; I didn't get far enough to test it for myself so I'll take your word for it.
I had the same problem at first. In the import thread, I was pretty much the only person who was dissatisfied with not being able to carry over spells and things like that, and everybody was arguing against me. :\
But after I played further, I started to appreciate it more. I like the skill point system a lot more than the battle/rank system from 6 and 7.

Articalys

Alright, sorry for the two month bump but over the last week I finally got around to playing my copy and finished it just now. I've read through the whole thread and pretty much agree with the main sentiment, that's it's a good bit of fun but smacks of missed potential.

I didn't really like the interface changes; I tried stylus controls for a bit and hated it, so for button controls, the fact that everything was icon-based and linear was a bit of a pain. Having the two screens does help a bit though, especially when you just need to do a quick survey of all the items you're carrying (which, yes, is also a broken system).
I loved all the continuity nods to the first two games, starting with the mockery of the story in the Psynergy Training Grounds and just getting better from there. It's a shame there weren't more cameos both people and location-wise.
Difficulty was a bit on the easy side, though I may have been underleveled some of the time, so I guess at the "proper" levels it would seem even easier. Oddly enough my battle strategy in GS1-2 was more balanced (with lost of summon rushes for bosses), but I did almost none of that here, relying mostly on physical attacks and area attack psynergy from the resident mage(s). Not much thinking going on. But yeah holy shit did it skyrocket for the final and bonus bosses. Don't know if I'm even going to bother with the post-game only dungeon, since there's nothing to really use the reward on after that because you've already beaten the game. Also I guess I'm a boring person since through all three games I stuck with "pure" djinn class lines.
Sound and graphics are great. Summons look fantastic, even if I didn't use them much (if at all) and unleashes do too. Music from the first two games wasn't something I'd be humming afterwards but it fit the game very well and the same applies here, though the battle themes kind of overwhelm most of the other tracks.
I liked most of the cast a lot. Bonus points go to
Sveta, for being the only person in the series badass enough to fight hand-to-hand, plus her combo-crazy weapon unleashes are fun to watch
. Some of the characters wore a little thin over time though, especially Tyrell.

Finally... fuck the points of no return. I was determined to keep this on a blackout until I played it and only consulted a guide once I reached what was obviously the final boss. Even though I learned I had only missed three djinn and two summons, it's still a dick move to pull that on players without warning.

So yeah, overall an enjoyable if slightly flawed game that was worth the $16 I paid for it. Unfortunately, after beating the game,
the abrupt cliffhanger ending
just makes it worse that there's never going to be a Golden Sun 4.

ili0926

If I had to choose between this and Radiant Historia, which one would you guys choose? I was a huge fan of the first two (I beat the original 7 or 8 times and the second one 3 or 4 times).

Blackhead

Redarse
Articalys said:
I'm just assuming, given the ten year gap between The Lost Age and this, and I don't think this one exactly sold like hotcakes.
Yeah, but it was only a 2 year gap between the first two in the series. Unless the next installment is going to be a premier 3DS title, there shouldn't be any reason for a long delay.

ili0926 said:
If I had to choose between this and Radiant Historia, which one would you guys choose? I was a huge fan of the first two (I beat the original 7 or 8 times and the second one 3 or 4 times).

As much as I love the first two games, Dark Dawn is pretty boring, predictable, and drab in almost every way possible. But, I mean, if you're that big of a fan, it's pretty much an obligation to play through it... it's just that Radiant Historia is the more interesting and exciting game, so I'd choose that if I had the choice.

GSR

Greyface said:
Yeah, but it was only a 2 year gap between the first two in the series. Unless the next installment is going to be a premier 3DS title, there shouldn't be any reason for a long delay.

Well, GS and TLA were originally envisioned as a single game, and GS sold pretty well. So not only was TLA already in development, it was financially sound to go ahead.

DD on the other hand feels a little more standalone than GS1 (cliffhanger ending aside) and apparently isn't selling that hot. So the series never getting a fourth game is a (albeit disappointing) possibility.

That said, I concur with the topic's consensus; it was a decent enough game, but it could have been so much better.

So I'm a little more than halfway through now. I'm in that place with the trees and the maze at the top of the trees and I am HELLA confused by the story.

What exactly am I doing? Am I still trying to fix that glider that the kid broke? Or am I looking for someone and trying to save the world now? I feel like every time they give me an objective, I go to where I'm supposed to complete it and the characters go "Well, let's put that aside now and help this guy with his boat" or something.

I don't remember the first two games being like this. I mean, maybe I'm spoiled just coming off Dragon Quest but being so confused as to what the point in what I'm doing is is making the game be a bit of a letdown.

Help? I love Golden Sun, I'm trying to understand this one.

Man, why did this thread have to pop out and remind me of the disappointment of Dark Dawn? Except for the music, graphics and some cameos I have a really hard time finding something redeeming about the game. Maybe the puzzles but I expected more touchscreen stuff. It was way too easy, the world felt really barren and there were too many new characters. Also, does this only feel like the iteration with the fewest dungeons? Seriously, I expected better after The Lost Age (which was fantastic.)

So its not just me? I mean, the music is CLASSIC Golden Sun and totally awesome, and the gameplay is like a 2nd tier Dragon Quest which is fine, but its the story that's getting to me. The dialogue forever wouldn't even matter that much if it wasn't for the fact that the story doesn't seem like its going anywhere, so when they talk forever, its not about anything interesting or important.

Ah well, I'm still entertained for now. I don't HATE it, I'm just disappointed.

Wizpig

I don't remember very well the first two games, played them when they came out in Europe, but this third GS is definitely more open, there's more exploration to do.

The first part is very guided, but then... definitely my favorite DS RPG with Mario & Luigi 3.
So good.

Never played DQ9 and not interested if the battles are as slow as 8.

Wizpig

Serenade said:
Game had some good graphics. Shame about everything else.
Game is the same as GBA games.
Those were awesome, this is awesome.

The beginning caught me unprepared (= without a pillow); other than that the game is the exact same with the long dialogues, awesome music, easy battles, characters that are lovable even when not characterized and everything you can either love or hate.

Praising the first two games and hating on this one sounds a little bit too nostalgic to me.

Boney

Banned
I sure loved

Img_himi.jpg
225px-GSCrown.jpg
GSEoleo.jpg

250px-Img_harumani.jpg
200px-GSDDTerrell.jpg

and in absolutely no way is Dark Dawn more open than 2

Wizpig

I guess the point is... nobody ever played Golden Sun for the characters? ok, i can't stand the new Garet (his son, i mean) and in the first games characters like Jenna or Mia were awesome, but the full package was about the music, the graphics, the psinergy, the "platform/puzzle" sequences.

Everything is still there.

The gameplay is still there, you could run trough the first two games by pressing "A" alone, final boss of Lost Age excluded.

I don't remember 2 to be more open world-ish, but 3 has some parts where you can go almost where you want, even if useless or not very smart.
Someone said in this thread that exploration is rewarded, and i have yet to find RPGs like this on a HD console.
It's still one of the best portable RPGs.

Hating every time the thread is brought up is a little too much.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Wizpig said:
Game is the same as GBA games.
Not to me. The story didn't feel very "epic."
Chasing a feather for a good chunk of the game didn't feel as cool as say, taking part in a chase against the bad guys to lit/ prevent lighting the Elemental Lighthouses.

Had no problem with the dialogue since it's Golden Sun and I was totally used to it.

I think there are only two tracks in the game that stood out for me. Compared to the plentiful selection I remember from the first two games. I chalk this one up to first experiences though, since I hadn't played a lot of games with Sakuraba music before playing the first Golden Sun.

A lot of the class variation from Golden Sun 2 is gone too. So there's really not much dawdling you can do with your characters.

Those things and a couple of other things soured the experience for me. But man, it had some great graphics.

Also, you should def play DQIX.

Wizpig

You're so right about the music; poor Sakuraba just makes music for TOO many games.
It's like you shouldn't play Tales of games if you don't want to get spoiled.

But it still felt epic to me.

The story i absolutely agree on, but i was more interested in (finally) a more open JRPG game with towns to visit and those were all absolutely stunning.
The premise was idiotic but i think the story turned out pretty interesting thanks to the old characters.

Until the end.
I finished the game yesterday.
Didn't like the ending much. :\

I'm about 36 hours in and I agree with the complaints re: ease of difficulty and the lolwat story. It seems like the devs just gave up on the idea of characterization by the time the 7th and 8th members of your party came along. At least with the 5th and 6th additions, they sorta eased them into the story and provided more information about their background.

I finally have a bunch of djinns that I can mix and match them to form different classes. Looking at various sources on the internet, it seems like a fairly deep system of stat modifiers and psynergies. Too bad that the game doesn't require one to do much more than spam A in most battles and the "default" way of assigning djinn to their respective elemental adepts makes boss fights a breeze. I guess if one were motivated enough to try out different djinn combinations (via trial/error or internet research), one could make the game a little harder but that seems backwards to me. Most of the items are pretty worthless as well (haven't used one healing item or stat buff item yet) since it's so easy to regenerate PP and you almost always have somebody with cure spells or revive spells (side note: most of the revive djinns are worthless when Revive psynergy works all the time and PP is never an issue).

Whoever said that graphics are the game's strongest point is spot on because everything else is meh or worse.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, this game is fucking easy. I like how you can win boss fights easily. 1. Set all djinn to standby before battle. 2. Spam most powerful summons. 3. Win.

Just finished the story. Ending was underwhelming and reminded me that
you never encounter another vortex after the tutorial until that cliff hanger ending
. Also, since I never played the previous GS games, I don't know the backstory very well - is
Arcanus/Alex
supposed to be
Amiti's father
? Probably not but it seemed like the game was trending in that direction but it was never really mentioned.

But that final boss fight! Why couldn't the rest of the game have that kind of difficulty? The
boss attacking multiple times per turn, doing crazy damage with various attacks
should have been the norm throughout the game. And between
that move that removes your Djinn and the enormous amount of HP
, it felt good fighting a boss that didn't fall apart after 2 or 3 summons.

Oxx

I had completely forgotten I even owned this game.

I have a bit of a gap in my schedule and a hankering for a portable RPG, so maybe this is a good opportunity to get more than a couple of hours into the game.

Okay, I just got to that optional, postgame boss. What. The. Fuck. Man.

Djinn Storm
royally rapes my team and I can't do enough damage (outside of the occasional summon) to outpace all the recovery it does. Summon spam seems like a bad idea when my defenses go to shit against such a hard hitting boss.

Is level 45 for that fight considered underleveled or something? Ugh if I have to level grind at this point in the game.

Djinn Storm
royally rapes my team and I can't do enough damage (outside of the occasional summon) to outpace all the recovery it does. Summon spam seems like a bad idea when my defenses go to shit against such a hard hitting boss.

Is level 45 for that fight considered underleveled or something? Ugh if I have to level grind at this point in the game.

If your are relying on summon spam then yeah you are underleveled by about 20. However 45, if you go with strategies other than that is about right. Hell, if you are really good you can do it at 35.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Djinn Storm

He's not even as hard as he was in The Lost Age.

Sadist

Got this game about a month ago for € 10.

Mwah. It's very traditional. And god god the dialogues! They just keep on yapping.

Finally beat the game. I sure was surprised by
The final boss difficulty spike. I actually had to use the insanely good barrier Djinns to get me out of a pinch (I thought after GS2 only having Flash+Granite out of grandfather clause they would be sensible here...but not we get a -90% damage one). Also it messed up my strategy of Max attack Beastform Sveta using Psynergy Slam (those conditions simply make for simply the strongest non-summon in the entire game, well maybe Megiddo beats it...) by deciding to unset all her Djinns. She still got the final blow...10 turns later. She would have wanted it that way? I now realise I could have further the strategy using the Kite Djinn.

When the game opened up* and the story took a back seat (this happened a few times though sometimes it was a "sure you can go to that town now but you'll have to go there at the right time to trigger this event") was where the game did the best. My favorite part actually was the
Umbra gear part. I ended up finding most of them before I got the map. The battling kind of declined at that point as the enemies got too strong to run from without hassle but gave way too much EXP upon defeat. I didn't mind the random soldiers right before the final boss as lots of RPGs do that sort of thing (though they usually put up a better fight)

As for post-game content
Ogre Titans are down (Ogre 5 needed a Meteor as Sveta couldn't quite finish it off), they got close to killing people too. The Ancient Devil I guess should be next...should be interesting...

This wouldn't be complete without mentioning the plot.
I'd have completely forgotten about Psyengery Vortexes if it wasn't for the ending. Its almost like they're there just for that first few hours bit like that part of the plot was an afterthought.
Random(?) observation, what exactly does NOA have against the name Stella?
The second time they've done, should have called Sveta, Astrid as well just to be ironic :p

*-Well thats not really the right term as its more "here is a new sandbox".

Edit: Well the (optional boss)
Ancient Devil
was a breeze when it seems (their tactics/my tactics)
his possession strategy is take girls starting rightmost(?) and the Chasm+Lull alternation to basically eliminate damage (as my lull setter was faster than the boss; Zol rings, how the eff do they work). So I had him take Himi leaving the rest of the party to support a 1999 attack Sveta. Had I not messed up Kite (I didn't relaise the second action would be after Lull occurred meaning it didn't happen) nor her being envenomed (meaning my Kite setter had to throw down the heirloom ring) she would have won before Beastform ran out. Sad thing is even by not attacking Himi in the battle she still counts as dead so she is behind on EXP.

Onto postgame bonus dungeon.

Oxx

Considering I only played 45 minutes of the game at release, I'm actually appreciating the constant reminders of the previous games and encyclopaedia references.

The game is also pretty playable with the stylus alone. Which I like.

Its neat how there are multiple ways the GS1&2 story gets explained too (I don't really consider these spoilers):
-The tutorial place
-The Sun Saga story books

I'm done with the game. Gave up on fighting on the last optional boss. I didn't want to cave in and use the same strategy as everyone else and my strategy runs out of time basically.

Oxx

My two major problems with the GBA games were:

a) Far too much dialogue
b) Not enough hints on what to do next

Well, one out of two ain't bad.

Oxx

I was enjoying myself until I met the
beastpeople/furries

I am enjoying it more than I anticipated, though. It might be the best-looking 3D DS game and the puzzle focus sets it apart from the majority of DS RPGs.

And Djinn collecting is still Poke-tastic.

ajim

Just choked my way through and finished this game. My god, it really wasn't that great, especially less so because the previous go GS were awesome.

In short:

-Way too easy. I breezed through every battle. Hell, I didn't even realise I was fighting 'bosses' most of the time, always thought they were like 'pre-bosses' or something.

-Story. What story? You get a glimpse of a decent story in the last 30 minutes and then then it finishes and cuts off and teases you with
'The end... or not?"
. Pain in the ass.

-The dungeons and puzzles were non-existent, especially with the use of that ability to literally tell you what to do next. Way too much hand holding throughout.

-At times there was way too much dialogue, and it wasn't even for good banter between the characters, or discussing the story/or something important in detail. It was just annoying dialogue with a lot of stupid emotion bubbles appearing over their heads dragging it out. Also, what was the point of giving me that unecessary option of choosing an emotion, it didn't seem to do anything?

There's way too much to this game that I really didn't enjoy, but I forced myself through it just to complete it incase it did get better - which it did in the lst 30 minutes or so. I really hope that if they do a sequel it's a little better than this.

Top Bottom