• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Bison11

Weird seeing this bumped, but whatever.....This game is so good. I got the version with the Pad, but I cant use it for this game, its just so much better with the 'Mote. Even online, I sucked ass with the pad.

Any FPS with a campaign like Goldeneye (stealthy) would be awesome. I loved sneaking around and popping people in the head....but then sometimes just said F it, and when in blazing. Sooo good.

Boerseun

Banned
I wonder if this title has DLC support built in? I wouldn't mind Eurocom adding three or four new maps for download just to freshen things up a little.

I don't know what Black Ops is like on Wii and I havn't bought Conduit 2 yet (though I plan to). At the moment though Goldeneye is my favourite multiplayer FPS experience on Wii. Heck, it's one of my favourite multiplayer FPS experiences this gen on any format.

Anasui Kishibe said:
god I'd love a new James Bond title with Goldeneye DNA for the U. The possibilities, the possibilities

Definitely! If Nintendo are smart they will get this team to do a spy FPS for Wii U launch. It doesn't even have to be Bond related, in my opinion. Make it a "spiritual successor", like Perfect Dark is to the original Goldeneye. I'll snap it up along with the console on launch day.

This game really is a ton of fun. The graphics arent the best but the gameplay is excellent. I enjoy it much more than the COD titles. The Wii is a quality system with some very original experiences.

apana

Striek said:
Because some people find pointing way too slow and cumbersome. I tried both and went with CCPro. I honestly don't know why people think the Wiimote is good for FPS over a traditional dual-analog setup. I play a lot of FPS on PC and PS360 though, whereas my brother who never usually plays FPS likes using the Wiimote.

It's like riding a bike. At first when I tried to use the wii mote to aim and turn, I thought this didn't work at all. It took me a good two hours tinkering with the controls and just getting experience while playing. When I finally got it though, it was amazing. The freedom of the wii mote is just so much superior to dual analog. All the work was worth it.

Boerseun

Banned
It's like apana says, you need to take the time to find the perfect setup FOR YOU.

Games like Goldeneye, Modern Warfare, Black Ops and the Conduit series give you all the options you need to set it up to match your requirements. And once you do, don't tell me it is not a better experience than dual analog.

Shiggy

apana said:
It's like riding a bike. At first when I tried to use the wii mote to aim and turn, I thought this didn't work at all. It took me a good two hours tinkering with the controls and just getting experience while playing. When I finally got it though, it was amazing. The freedom of the wii mote is just so much superior to dual analog. All the work was worth it.

Though I must admit that it would've worked better with Motion Plus (when the cursor gets off-screen).

Mr. Robot

This game is so so so very good, the option to go stealth or guns blazing is a big change of pace, and for the most part it looks great (i like the "soft" look the game has).

I also was not a wiimote believer since my first FPS on the wii was The Conduit 1 and i never nailed a control setup that matched what i wanted to do.
I must say that i approached to it in the wrong way, what i wanted to do was to point at the screen to where i wanted to shoot, later i found that this doesnt work since for this to happen you would need to make your bounding box big, but this hinders your movement and turning.

I later found that making the bounding box as small as it gets makes the work easier since now all you need to do is tinker with the turn/camera speed and cursor sensitivity, the extra options this game gives you are the icing on the cake, the result is a control method on par and sometimes superior to mouse/kb controls.

So, to anyone that doesn't believe in pointer controls, just start with a small bounding box, and change the other settings, and approach to it as you would with a mouse, and not as a light gun shooter.

seriously, at this point I'd even buy a HD port. Too bad my cousin borrowed it last year and never got it back, but GE's campaign has to be one of the best I've ever played. Slap Blood Stone's graphics in and I could have a nerdgasm

Pyrokai

So I just started this game, and I suck at FPS games and decided to go with the second lowest difficulty. Turns out that was sort of a mistake. Can't find the things I'm supposed to take pictures of in the second mission! :p

This game is intense, though. FPS games put me on such edge! How's the online for this game now? Is it dead or are a lot of people playing? I could see myself getting into this :)

I couldn't get into the game, they just went over the top with the context-sensitive A button. Fucking press A to trigger a jump animation to get over a wall, press A to run to cover etc. etc.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, sorry for bumping this.

Just got this game. I remember there being a control configuration that someone posted that everyone liked using. Can someone point my to that post? Thanks!

apana

Mr. Robot said:
This game is so so so very good, the option to go stealth or guns blazing is a big change of pace, and for the most part it looks great (i like the "soft" look the game has).

I also was not a wiimote believer since my first FPS on the wii was The Conduit 1 and i never nailed a control setup that matched what i wanted to do.
I must say that i approached to it in the wrong way, what i wanted to do was to point at the screen to where i wanted to shoot, later i found that this doesnt work since for this to happen you would need to make your bounding box big, but this hinders your movement and turning.

I later found that making the bounding box as small as it gets makes the work easier since now all you need to do is tinker with the turn/camera speed and cursor sensitivity, the extra options this game gives you are the icing on the cake, the result is a control method on par and sometimes superior to mouse/kb controls.

So, to anyone that doesn't believe in pointer controls, just start with a small bounding box, and change the other settings, and approach to it as you would with a mouse, and not as a light gun shooter.

Yes I think a smaller bounding box is important to getting the control to work right.

Effect

Pyrokai said:
So I just started this game, and I suck at FPS games and decided to go with the second lowest difficulty. Turns out that was sort of a mistake. Can't find the things I'm supposed to take pictures of in the second mission! :p

This game is intense, though. FPS games put me on such edge! How's the online for this game now? Is it dead or are a lot of people playing? I could see myself getting into this :)

People still play it but matching can be a bit slow at times but that might be a network issue instead of a population one. It's 8 players max but the maps are sized for this. Some are a bigger then others though. Though going head to head can sometimes (far to often at times) result in two players killing each other. I do love that there are no kill streaks. After playing a lot of Black Ops it's nice to play a game that doesn't have them. I don't mind abilities ala Killzone or Bad Company 2 though. Do note that leveling in Goldeneye is really slow. However you aren't at a major disadvantage though in terms of weapons being a low level. At least I didn't think so.

I got this game the other day on the cheap, colour me surprised at how enjoyable the single player campaign was, it could have done with less linearity but I enjoyed it on the whole.
The stealth played very well into the game since being rumbled meant I was forced into my most disliked situation from modern shooters that is having a game of whack a mole with 15 odd enemies, one hell of an incentive for me to sneak around.
Shame about the local multiplayer though, aping Call Of Duty leads to gun fights being about 2 seconds long which is very far removed from the olden days of being forcibly shot down a corridor by the swine who found the RCP90, even then it took a good 10 seconds of lead to finish the job.

Boerseun

Banned
In my opinion, horizontally the dead zone needs to be as small as possible. Vertically however it needs to be about a fifth to a quarter of the screen height.

That is the base setup I start all Wii FPS games on as it creates a decently stable platform from which to consider other settings.

I borrowed my friend's wii to play this. When I started playing the game the graphics have this black and green pixelation overlaying the screen. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Wow, this game's good. Sort of like CoD single-player, but more open which allows for more interesting things to happen. Love Wii controls for shooters as well. Wish Bond would duck lower when crouching though.

I know I'm digging up some a dinosaur here, but does anyone have a printable scan of the full boxart for this? My little cousins spilled koolaid on my original. =\

It's surprisingly hard to find.

Shiggy

Played through the last two missions (Solar & Cradle) and difficulty was just fine there for a person who rarely plays FPS titles. Eurocom delivered a fine experience!

gamingeek

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I borrowed my friend's wii to play this. When I started playing the game the graphics have this black and green pixelation overlaying the screen. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Either your cable is bust, TV is bust or the wii has the red and green dot artifacting that some early models had and needs to be repaired. Since your screen is showing black and green I would try swapping out the video cable or attaching it to a secondary scart or component socket or try on a different tv.

Shiggy said:
Played through the last two missions (Solar & Cradle) and difficulty was just fine there for a person who rarely plays FPS titles. Eurocom delivered a fine experience!

The pacing and design of the single player campaign is just impeccable. Amazing set pieces, great stealth mechanics (simple and to the point) and some great actors. If the online mode had better levelling and private matches it would've been perfect.

Finally got around to playing this some more, a huge huge fan of GoldenEye on N64..

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Just finished Severnereya (er), so far to this point have done the whole game on 007 difficulty and though I've had a couple irritating spots (mostly to a few gungho incidents) the difficulty has been mostly toned down by the linearity. In fact, the linear qualities of this title are the only negative I really have outstandingly. I actually think the graphics are great, especially in the early areas of the level I just completed. In all I've found this to be a surprisingly good GoldenEye experience. I like how they kept just a small portion of the old levels in their visual similarities at times, but are entirely redesigned. Sadly in a more linear fashion but none the less.

I miss the overpoweringly awesome soundtrack of the old game, but the times when there actually is music in this game it's pretty swell. Bottom line is that I am really a lot more impressed than I thought I would be with this title..

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is $9.99 at Gamestop.com right now.

Link.

I know the HD version is coming out soon, but that's about as good of deal as you can get.

Shiggy

Playing this game on Sundays and late in the night (European time) is not much fun. Hackers seem to take over. No matter how often I hit them or shoot at them, some of them are invincible. In addition, some people are able to shoot through walls or metal, and also use a rocket launcher.

Don't know whether this is also a hack. But today I had some matches with the same people and it was always like this:
- Team A had level 56, level 56, level 35, level 24
- Team B had level 13, level 23, level 17, level 32

Normally the teams are "adjusted" to have a fairer mix, but today the two level 56 guys stayed together.

Another question, what does "[TL]" mean in front of the names? Both level 56 guys had it.

Boerseun

Banned
Shiggy said:
Playing this game on Sundays and late in the night (European time) is not much fun. Hackers seem to take over. No matter how often I hit them or shoot at them, some of them are invincible. In addition, some people are able to shoot through walls or metal, and also use a rocket launcher.

Don't know whether this is also a hack. But today I had some matches with the same people and it was always like this:
- Team A had level 56, level 56, level 35, level 24
- Team B had level 13, level 23, level 17, level 32

Normally the teams are "adjusted" to have a fairer mix, but today the two level 56 guys stayed together.

Another question, what does "[TL]" mean in front of the names? Both level 56 guys had it.

I don't believe Goldeneye has ever been hacked. I've played the game extensively, and those issues you mention sound like simple latency problems to me. Keep in mind, you may be playing against people with a ping of 300+ milliseconds. All games with on-line functionality use some form of predictive programming to try and overcome the latency but it can only go so far.

Regarding the [TL], that is probably a simple clan tag. In other words, the guys belong to a clan and added the tag to their usernames to indicate their membership.

Regarding the composition of the match, I've seen that happen too. I really love this game though. If you feel the team composition is unfair, then simply quit out and enter another match.

Rehynn

Since this thread has been bumped, I want to drop my 2 cents and say that I'm really enjoying this game.
Decent variety of locations, situations, great audio, dynamic gameplay (going for stealth wherever possible, but I enjoy shootouts too), and nice graphics. It's nice to see such production value from a third party on Wii.

Saw this thread bumped over the weekend, and noticing that I could pick the game up for just £10, I decided to give it a go.

It arrived today and I've just played through the first mission. I actually really enjoyed it. While it doesn't necessarily play like an especially well polished game (although I am playing with the wiimote - having not played a wii for over two years), and the cut-scenes look like absolute fucking garbage, it does have enough flair to ignite a fair bit of nostalgia for what is pretty much my favourite Bond film.

Looking forward to playing through the rest.

Bryan1321

Banned
I picked up some months ago this at 20$

Completely worth

at first it didnt feel right the controlers, then a saw a post whre they recomended a custom setting

And it really pays of the time configurating, its great

Also, wasnt somewhere in this thread a list of Friend Codes?

Top Bottom