• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

apana

Really love wii mote controls, I know it's blasphemy to say so but I enjoy it even more than mouse and keyboard controls for fps.

Boerseun

Banned
apana said:
Really love wii mote controls, I know it's blasphemy to say so but I enjoy it even more than mouse and keyboard controls for fps.

I bought Black Ops on PC recently. It took hours to get it running in a playable state. Then not soon thereafter I realised that I hated having my hands resting flat, palms down on the desk in front of me. The click-click-click of the mouse coupled with the unintuitive WASD configuration for movement just doesn't begin to compare to the dynamic, energetic and fully immersive nature of the Wii's controls. Heck, I reckon I'm rebuying Black Ops on Wii. I am much too in love with the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combination to go back to mouse+keyboard or (shudder!!) dual analogue sticks.

MYE

Sadist said:
Amazing boxart.

Bought the game last week btw and I'm surprised to see it's good. Really like it sofar.

Best FPS SP campaign i've played since... shit, i cant even remember.
Bioshock?

MYE said:
Best FPS SP campaign i've played since... shit, i cant even remember.
Bioshock?

Damn stole my post. But yeah, the SP blew me away. Especially some of the CQC moves look painfull as hell. Level design was spot on, and the developers really worked to get the levels designed with the Wii hardware in mind.

You know, I would buy an enhanced Cafe version of this game day one (with added online functionality of course)

apana said:
No enhanced ports plz. Re-remake Goldeneye using Call of Duty engine for PS360, except it's a Cafe exclusive. An even longer sp campaign this time.

I really don't think the SP campaign should be made longer. It's perfect the way it is. Just upgrade the online with a better levelling system, private matches, server lists and voice chat options, maybe some pseudo classic Goldeneye maps, and I would cash in.
Oh and yeah, use Cryengine3 this time^^

Goldeneye 64 sold 12.109k FW and 29.785k LTD in Japan (according to Famitsu.)

The Wii version at least has a realistic chance of outselling its predecessor here.

Penguin

apana said:
No enhanced ports plz. Re-remake Goldeneye using Modern Warfare 2 engine. An even longer sp campaign this time.

Even though it makes no sense for Activision, I really hope Eurocom/Nintendo can put together an exclusive Bond experience for Project Cafe launch.

Even if its a re-imagined re-imagined Goldeneye AGAIN.

Though would love it if based on another movie or something.

Either that or Nintendo gets Eurocom to do something exclusive for them. Strong work.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Great box art for Japan. The US/EU was one of the worst I've ever seen. Good game too, cracking single player that makes you feel like Bond, just a few rough edges here and there but not enough to detract from the atmosphere and smooth gameplay. Hopefully they will produce another Bond game in this vein, after GoldenEye outperformed that HD turd they would be wise to.

Maxrunner

apana said:

what configs are you using? the defaults are terrible. But im following some recommendations from here and its improving a lot...

MYE

Maxrunner said:
what configs are you using? the defaults are terrible. But im following some recommendations from here and its improving a lot...

I'l keep posting this till everyone who complains about the controls try it

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 40 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 21

Set the verticle speed to 8

Set the cursor sensitivity to 20

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 15

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

apana

MYE said:
I'l keep posting this till everyone who complains about the controls try it

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 40 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 21

Set the verticle speed to 8

Set the cursor sensitivity to 20

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 15

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

This is a good start but each individual will have to experiment a lot to get it right for themselves. Part of it is just getting used to it. It really is like riding a bicycle, after a while turning and aiming with the wii mote will feel like second nature. Those first few hours can be very difficult though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
boris feinbrand said:
Damn stole my post. But yeah, the SP blew me away. Especially some of the CQC moves look painfull as hell. Level design was spot on, and the developers really worked to get the levels designed with the Wii hardware in mind.

You know, I would buy an enhanced Cafe version of this game day one (with added online functionality of course)

Basically cafe version take the Wii SP and steal BFBC2 Multiplayer but change some vehicles to be more bond like, lower the bar for leveling up gadgets etc... voice chat,
maybe some Black ops MP modes as well and err fuck it just do an on line mission two players (bond, Trevelyan) having to storm bases complete missions etc as a team would be great

I will buy

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This thread makes me want to play GE again but on classic mode difficulty..hmm time to bust it out again..

a shame the MP didn't get enough meat to it instead of the Barebones CoD style

Boerseun

Banned
I'll post my control setup later. It's a bit different than MYE's but works perfectly for me.

jufonuk said:
Basically cafe version take the Wii SP and steal BFBC2 Multiplayer but change some vehicles to be more bond like, lower the bar for leveling up gadgets etc... voice chat,
maybe some Black ops MP modes as well and err fuck it just do an on line mission two players (bond, Trevelyan) having to storm bases complete missions etc as a team would be great

I will buy

Nice ideas. Count me in.

jufonuk said:

I will buy

The coop idea is a must.

Striek

StevieP said:
I still have no idea how some people can use a dual-analog pad for first-person games a decade past its prime. But that's just me.
Because some people find pointing way too slow and cumbersome. I tried both and went with CCPro. I honestly don't know why people think the Wiimote is good for FPS over a traditional dual-analog setup. I play a lot of FPS on PC and PS360 though, whereas my brother who never usually plays FPS likes using the Wiimote.

donny2112

Striek said:
Because some people find pointing way too slow and cumbersome.

Guessing they didn't spend the time to tweak the control settings, then. That is one drawback of the Wiimote. It's great for FPSs, but it does take a good chunk of time to set it right for your preferences.

Striek said:
Because some people find pointing way too slow and cumbersome. I tried both and went with CCPro. I honestly don't know why people think the Wiimote is good for FPS over a traditional dual-analog setup. I play a lot of FPS on PC and PS360 though, whereas my brother who never usually plays FPS likes using the Wiimote.

Slow and cumbersome? That's nuts. I can see just not liking it, or not being good at it, or having a tough time to find a good balance between aim and turn sensitivity, and all that. I can see where someone would prefer the simplicity of "normal" controls. But if pointing is slow, then analog sticks are immobile.

StevieP

Banned
Leondexter said:
Slow and cumbersome? That's nuts. I can see just not liking it, or not being good at it, or having a tough time to find a good balance between aim and turn sensitivity, and all that. I can see where someone would prefer the simplicity of "normal" controls. But if pointing is slow, then analog sticks are immobile.

You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Any pointer (be it a mouse, a touchpad, a wiimote, etc) is leaps and bounds faster and more accurate than the sticks, even with generous amounts of autoaim.

Striek

*Shrug*, difference of opinion. Analog sticks are nowhere near perfect but they're much faster (particularly turning) and more accurate than the Wiimote (and PSMove) for me and I've seen no one play IRL with the Wiimote all that well.

Pointers aren't all created equal. A mouse provides pinpoint accuracy in 360° in milliseconds. A trackpad won't do that . A Wiimote is certainly nowhere close.

I've been playing FPS for years so it could be my failure to adjust, but I get the impression that most people who prefer the Wiimote wouldn't really haved described themselves as FPS fans previously. That is I don't think many people have 'converted' from pad play to Wiimote play.

Striek said:
*Shrug*, difference of opinion. Analog sticks are nowhere near perfect but they're much faster and more accurate than the Wiimote (and PSMove) for me and I've seen no one play IRL with the Wiimote all that well.

Pointers aren't all created equal. A mouse provides pinpoint accuracy in 360° in milliseconds. A trackpad won't do that . A Wiimote is certainly nowhere close.

I've been playing FPS for years so it could be my failure to adjust, but I get the impression that most people who prefer the Wiimote wouldn't really haved described themselves as FPS fans previously. That is I don't think many people have 'converted' from pad play to Wiimote play.

Actually I think many people havent converted because of the negative perception of motion controls and the Wii, as well as the fact that they already feel comfortable with dual analog on consoles.

StevieP

Banned
Striek said:
*Shrug*, difference of opinion. Analog sticks are nowhere near perfect but they're much faster (particularly turning) and more accurate than the Wiimote (and PSMove) for me and I've seen no one play IRL with the Wiimote all that well.

I'm one of them. It's time to evolve out of dual-analog. Perhaps you are accustomed to it, and the copious amounts of autoaim require to make it work in the first-person space.

The turn speed, by the way, in this game and most other Wiimote FPS games I've played - is rather adjustable. And by "rather" I mean "completely. And the aiming is far more accurate. Not mouse-accurate, sure, but far more than the sticks.

Striek

Rush2thestart said:
Actually I think many people havent converted because of the negative perception of motion controls and the Wii, as well as the fact that they already feel comfortable with dual analog on consoles.
Well yeah. That and lack of decent online compared to other current platforms and that FPS are definitely a genre that benefit from increased resolution/detail.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that pads are definitively better. Don't think its possible. Merely providing an example of why one person doesn't think the Wiimote (and Move) is very good for FPS.

Hiltz

Did anyone else have a problem with how the cursor would just slightly move off to the side while trying to get head shots ( this was regardless of whether an enemy was moving or not) ? I spent a lot of time trying to tweak the controls but it never felt right. Unfortunately, it lead to a lot of chaotic gun fights and screw ups during attempts to remain stealthy.

Another issue was how sluggish the guns felt when used in ASD mode. I'm sure a part of it t hasto do with how I'm not used to Call of Duty-type of games.

StevieP

Banned
Striek said:
Well yeah. That and lack of decent online compared to other current platforms and that FPS are definitely a genre that benefit from increased resolution/detail.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that pads are definitively better. Don't think its possible. Merely providing an example of why one person doesn't think the Wiimote (and Move) is very good for FPS.

No one can fault you on opinion, of course. A lot of the common complaints about pointer controls are levelled with some tweaking, however... whereas dual-analog has had a very long time for them to get things like the amount of autoaim and turnspeed right, right off the bat. I've found that with a lot of the more recent Wii shooters (Conduit/Goldeneye/CoD/etc) if you start from the most "advanced" (or "experienced") setup they have and tweak from there you'll get better results. Compared to Black Ops, though, Goldeneye was never "perfect" even with tweaking for me. But it was still satisfying as heck to completely obliterate my friends who were using the CCPro using a tweaked pointer setup in multiplayer.

Bluforce

I'm sorry for the UP during E3's week, but i bought Goldeneye Wii yesterday, the version with golden Classic Pad, new in offer at 19,90 Euro.

Advise me to play it with Wiimotion or with Classic Pad?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Bluforce said:
I'm sorry for the UP during E3's week, but i bought Goldeneye Wii yesterday, the version with golden Classic Pad, new in offer at 19,90 Euro.

Advise me to play it with Wiimotion or with Classic Pad?
Try the Wii remote set-up with MYE's custom settings, posted many times in the past few pages.

XPE

I preferred the wii mote but the game work great with both.

On a separate note I just finished this for the DS, its a great little game, was really surprised how good it was.

Boerseun

Banned
Wii remote plus Nunchuck. Don't use the multiplayer game to test and adjust your settings. You are sure to get owned (like I was). :)

Shiggy

I'm pretty bad at FPS games, but this is quite a nice one. The story, the presentation and especially the characters are pretty nice. But does it only have 6 missions/chapters? Or do the missions change with higher difficulty?

And...I shouldn't play online :D

Effect

Shiggy said:
I'm pretty bad at FPS games, but this is quite a nice one. The story, the presentation and especially the characters are pretty nice. But does it only have 6 missions/chapters? Or do the missions change with higher difficulty?

And...I shouldn't play online :D

Each of the chapters have several levels to them. So I think overall you have 14 or 15 different actual levels. Depending on the difficulty and how fast/slow you are they each could take around maybe half hour to an hour. I think you could speed run some of them if you know them inside and out but no on the first try. Save the tank level which is far to quick and you can't really slow down in it.

With the higher difficulties there are more objectives you have to complete. You can still complete a level without getting all the objectives but you can't continue on that difficulty level when it comes to the next level until you finish that previous mission fully. Then there is the hardest mode which is the Classic 007 where you have health and armor pickups with no regenerating health and I think that has the highest number of objectives to complete.

I would play online. It's designed after Call of Duty but it's slower paced and it's limited to 8 players max. Team matches are 4 v 4 and the maps are designed for this. The lower number makes free for all more fair I think as well. I honestly find it more fair at times then CoD save the one snow map which is a sniper paradise. Only map I don't care for. There are no kill streaks either.

Shiggy

Effect said:
Each of the chapters have several levels to them. So I think overall you have 14 or 15 different actual levels. Depending on the difficulty and how fast/slow you are they each could take around maybe half hour to an hour. I think you could speed run some of them if you know them inside and out but no on the first try. Save the tank level which is far to quick and you can't really slow down in it.

With the higher difficulties there are more objectives you have to complete. You can still complete a level without getting all the objectives but you can't continue on that difficulty level when it comes to the next level until you finish that previous mission fully. Then there is the hardest mode which is the Classic 007 where you have health and armor pickups with no regenerating health and I think that has the highest number of objectives to complete.

I don't think I'll be up for that challenge, I still have some great games lined up and trying to win in the higher difficulties might be too frustrating ... you won't believe how bad I'm at playing these titles :D
It's just because of the Wii Remote that I'm playing it :D

You should play on-line! It's awesome fun! :-D

Just when I saw my enemies I was already dead :D

evangd007

Boerseun said:
You should play on-line! It's awesome fun! :-D

This game's online was ruined for me by the harrowing amount of experience required to unlock stuff. Offline was great though. Rockets only headshot mode ftw.

Penguin

evangd007 said:
This game's online was ruined for me by the harrowing amount of experience required to unlock stuff. Offline was great though. Rockets only headshot mode ftw.

This was the biggest flaw in the game.

Such an imaginative and fun set of offline modes. And then a bunch of CoD knock offs online.

Though liked Goldeneye and Black Box.

Top Bottom