• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

I wish there were more modes in local multiplayer. Seems like they put most of their effort into online.

The auto-shotgun and proximity mines are OP, IMO. The mines blend in with other items on the floor and have crazy range, considering the amount of screen real estate you get. Best part though was when I shot one and it blew up, killing the guy who planted it. :lol

My friends and I have started with our own rules (snipers only, pistols only). RPG only was pretty fun. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
rdaneel72 said:
Having trouble near the end of the game. I've searched this thread, and all over GameFAQs, but I cannot find any info on the problem I'm having. GameFAQs has merely one FAQ on this game.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you need to kill the bad dudes quicker.
The less damage to her console the faster she'll hack. Either that or killing all the dudes activates the appropriate script.

v4gr4nt

Bought it today, and I'm loving it so far.
The only little nitpick I have is with the controls, as I'm having a hard time geting used to it. Anoybody has a better config?

DangerStepp

v4gr4nt said:
Bought it today, and I'm loving it so far.
The only little nitpick I have is with the controls, as I'm having a hard time geting used to it. Anoybody has a better config?
I'm using my wireless 3rd party GC controller. It's all right--nothing great, but I'm having a good time.

Dave Long

Banned
The pointer/nunchuk controls just take a little while to click. Once they do, they're really the best way to play IMO.

This is a superb same-room first-person shooter multiplayer game in a generation that wants to forget those games exist. Super cool and loaded with entertainment value.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Had a three player match going the other day was a blast, I feel the pointer was gimped a bit in the local matches. also the club level felt huge for only three player's still loved the action, shame you couldn;t have an old school mode and pick up tons of weapons off the floor.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Got it for Christmas and just started playing a bit... I rented it back in November and played through about 30-45% of the main game, but now I find myself just trying the online multiplayer.

I really, REALLY dislike this slow unlocking of special modes business; the only thing that even slightly mitigates it might be that if you continually swap to new weapons and use those for kills, you earn experience bonuses as you level up the weapons themselves. The experience system still seems extremely silly and slow, though.

Question: what "unlockables" are accessible via passwords, and are there any generic passwords to unlock things, or are they all one-time use codes?

Played and beat single player this weekend over the course of a few days. Really fantastic game, much better than I expected. I'd actually say it was the best single player FPS experience I've had since the original Call of Duty on PC. Really awesome stuff.

Hopped online right after beating it and had some fun there as well. I'm horrible, but I've always been bad at FPS games, so I'm not surprised. :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I must have hit this after everyone else gave up... sigh...

In theory, all the preorder codes said "Exclusive Until December 31st" -- but I'm not noting any changes in the menu for multiplayer (local or online) this month. Were the extra modes unlocked in a standard manner, or was the idea that passcode for these modes would be released now?

for the love of god: someone please answer my question if there's a possibility to enable additional ammo in multiplayer?
We always run out of rockets in like 2 minutes and it fucking sucks :((

i also finished the solo campaign and I have to say it's one of the best FPS in years.
I can't believe that I had to wait almost 10 years to encounter a shooter with doors that can be opened.
it's not N64 goldeneye and that's good.
only major suck is (but that goes to every FPS in the last 10 years) that it is too dark sometimes. realistic lightning my ass

Effect

Finally went back to the single player after taking a break. Just finished the train section. The tank part was a lot of fun but as others have said far to short. I was hoping there would be city sections but oh well. That entire section from the tank to the train has been my favorite part I think. I died more times then normal on Agent as well but that's because I kept forgetting the AI isn't stupid. They will try to flank you if you stay in one spot and will go for cover. I chased this one guy in a circle trying to kill him but he kept taking cover, trying to get around me. Loved that. LOL

There were two RPGs in this area of the game. Yet I couldn't figure out what they would be used against. Seemed like overkill on the enemies soldiers. There was a chopper flying around but it didn't attack me. Does this attack on harder difficulties?

Having grenades would have made some sections a lot easier. Perhaps this is why they aren't in the single player for you to use. Takes some of the challenge away. The more I play the more I'm convinced you do not need that infinite spawning that is in CoD single player games. Waves that come forward when you hit a certain point but don't respawn, allowing you to calm down a bit are just fine.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I cannot seem to find a Wii controller setting that feels right to me. I'm having the same problem I had with Conduit: no matter what I try, it just feels way too sensitive. Any advice?

ICallItFutile said:
I cannot seem to find a Wii controller setting that feels right to me. I'm having the same problem I had with Conduit: no matter what I try, it just feels way too sensitive. Any advice?

if you love the MP3 controls as much as I do, try the settings of that guy.
He modded the Conduit controls to fit the MP3 setting. It worked perfectly for me.
you can apply them easily on Goldeneye too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wK3EkGl4s

MYE

ICallItFutile said:

Give this a try:

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 40 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 21

Set the verticle speed to 8

Set the cursor sensitivity to 20

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 15

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dries said:
So what's the best way to play this game?

What do you mean? As in, what is the best way to control? Because that just comes down to personal perference. For me, I fucking hate analogue aiming and love pointer aiming, and have plenty of practice with pointer controls, and thus wouldn't be caught dead using the classic controller. Others here, however, have had to play with the classic controller. Both sides are reporting the controls are fine.

If you're shitty at pointer controls and cant be bothered spending the time to learn and tweak them, maybe just jump into classic controls.

faridmon

The price of the DS version is dropping at Morrissons close to my house, so I have to ask, Any of you tried the DS version? Is it any good?

Dries

EatChildren said:
What do you mean? As in, what is the best way to control? Because that just comes down to personal perference. For me, I fucking hate analogue aiming and love pointer aiming, and have plenty of practice with pointer controls, and thus wouldn't be caught dead using the classic controller. Others here, however, have had to play with the classic controller. Both sides are reporting the controls are fine.

If you're shitty at pointer controls and cant be bothered spending the time to learn and tweak them, maybe just jump into classic controls.

Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks.

apana

I don't understand. I wan't to turn around with the nunchuk but point the Wii remote to shoot. Instead I have to turn the Wii remote in order to look from side to side/turn. If I make the Wiimote less sensitive then turning is horrible, but if I make it more sensitive then turning is good but its impossible to aim without moving all over the place. Sombody help me. RE4 was so awesome with Wiimote then why is FPS no good?

ZZMitch

I played through this last week.

It was really great, way better then expected. This game really shines in the stealth sections. I had to keep replaying them over and over until I beat them without alerting anyone! On the other hand, some of the stuff was hilariously scripted, such as in the final battle. But overall still a very fun experience.

Never played the original on N64 by the way.

apana

I guess what I'm asking is why don't they use the nunchuk for turning around and just have the Wii remote for pointing?

apana said:
I guess what I'm asking is why don't they use the nunchuk for turning around and just have the Wii remote for pointing?
I think you'd need more control over your movement. Straving left and right is as important as aiming.
BUT there is a button combination I can't remember now (I think it's the Sprint button together with Iron Sight aiming) that lets you quickly freeze the frame while you are holding it and aim like in RE4 or a light gun shooter. That's very neat!

apana

Alright GAF, I'll keep adjusting and fiddling around, but I am not opposed to using the dreaded gamecube controller option if forced.

apana

Okay so I got a lot better with using the Wii Mote, I had to adjust the settings a million times though. There is still a basic problem however. Turning is much better with the analogue than with the Wii-mote. You can use the gamecube controller set to legacy to have analogue turning but the problem is that obviously regular controllers are shit for shooting games (third person or FPS). No one in their right mind can go back to playing shooters any other way after you have used a motion controller. The Wii mote needs an extra analgoue stick/nub to solve the problem of turning. Maybe right under the A button. If it had that it may even be better than the PC for first person shooter. As of right now it may be slightly better or worse than a normal controller depending on what you prefer.

edit: also I am at the snow level right now. The single player is all kinds of awesome.

apana said:
Okay so I got a lot better with using the Wii Mote, I had to adjust the settings a million times though. There is still a basic problem however. Turning is much better with the analogue than with the Wii-mote. You can use the gamecube controller set to legacy to have analogue turning but the problem is that obviously regular controllers are shit for shooting games (third person or FPS). No one in their right mind can go back to playing shooters any other way after you have used a motion controller. The Wii mote needs an extra analgoue stick/nub to solve the problem of turning. Maybe right under the A button. If it had that it may even be better than the PC for first person shooter. As of right now it may be slightly better or worse than a normal controller depending on what you prefer.

edit: also I am at the snow level right now. The single player is all kinds of awesome.

I found turning just fine with the wii-mote. More precise, even. You can ramp up the sensitivity and get good enough with it to blow away analog stick turning. Just make sure that your elbow is stationary. Prop it up on a pillow, or the back of the couch, or on your thigh.

apana

I'm playing this on an SD set and wow at how this looks. Wii is definitely king of SD consoles graphically, if anybody cares. I'm staring at the floors of the Russian prison right now.

Effect

Has anyone played the game with both the Classic Controller and the Class Controller Pro?

I love the Wii mote controls but have been curious about trying to get better with a controller. I generally suck but do okay enough to make it through the single player in some games I've played in the past. Wouldn't dare try to go online. Is there really any need to buy a CCP if you already have a CC? Does the placement of the zL and zR on the CC really matter that much in FPS? Or can you work around them so you don't need to use them?

Not home at the moment so can't check the settings in any game.

apana

Alright I'm at the level after the tank section right now. I'm getting a lot better at using the wiimote, it is starting to feel intuitive. I would still prefer that there was an analog nub on the Wii-remote so I could turn around more easily, but whatever.

apana

Now at the Jungle level, I have infiltrated the compound. This is really a lot better than what I played of Medal of Honor single player. Even the graphix on an SD set are hot.

The Jungle level has some pretty nice environments. Waterfalls, birds chirping, leaves that move when you shoot through them, alternate routes. I reloaded a couple checkpoints so I could successfully go through them undetected.

The Memorial level was way too dark.

gimz

just got it used, game only
played thru the first level, trying out the control a bit and decided to go with Experience 2 or 3 (donno the different really)
after you get used to the control the game is really fun!
but i will have to try to beat it in 3 days... because i will be trading in this game for SSIV3DS on Sunday!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I Played a few online matches today and I don't know if it's the players or I was that good but I Started the first map getting my ass handed to me, then on the second level the archives I started to domminate, getting three kills in a row and took the lead on my team, I was second over all by one point, I managed to get the accolade of eliminating every memeber of the opposition.

I like the online mode of the game, it doesn't seem as fast in comparision as Black Ops but can get more frantic, some levels seeem cramped so you have to hid and stealth a lot more, while slower paced in general it is still fun.

to me the low points you get for a kill etc are psychologically less exciting then the high scores black ops seems to give out like candy...

overall I feel black ops edges GE out for multiplayer

anyways played some singleplayer black ops , feels like you are always having to follow/protect someone and go through set piece after set piece an are funneled down a corridor.

GE on the other hand seems more open ended and yes you have an objective but you can approach it from different angles.

again just a few missions into COD but these are my impressions so far..

if you want a great single player FPS GE
if you multiplayer online fun Black Ops
local Versus GE of course
alternatly get both

i do like the GE trick of having two guns plus the pistol

jufonuk said:
I Played a few online matches today and I don't know if it's the players or I was that good but I Started the first map getting my ass handed to me, then on the second level the archives I started to domminate, getting three kills in a row and took the lead on my team, I was second over all by one point, I managed to get the accolade of eliminating every memeber of the opposition.

I like the online mode of the game, it doesn't seem as fast in comparision as Black Ops but can get more frantic, some levels seeem cramped so you have to hid and stealth a lot more, while slower paced in general it is still fun.

to me the low points you get for a kill etc are psychologically less exciting then the high scores black ops seems to give out like candy...

overall I feel black ops edges GE out for multiplayer

anyways played some singleplayer black ops , feels like you are always having to follow/protect someone and go through set piece after set piece an are funneled down a corridor.

GE on the other hand seems more open ended and yes you have an objective but you can approach it from different angles.

again just a few missions into COD but these are my impressions so far..

if you want a great single player FPS GE
if you multiplayer online fun Black Ops
local Versus GE of course
alternatly get both

i do like the GE trick of having two guns plus the pistol

you are very correct. GE is amazing single player match and black ops is fun and i think most roboust online in wiii library with updates and all. I play online with black ops a lot. GE I finished the game in few sittings because i loved the single player. I still have not finished the black ops single player. Story is very hard to follow.

apana

So yeah I finished the single player portion. Awesome last level. I was hoping it would last longer but I guess they couldn't devote all resources towards single player. Also I read somewhere that Eurocom was very pleased with the sales. I wonder what that means, 1-2 million?

bsb

Neo Member
Has anyone played the game with both the Classic Controller and the Class Controller Pro?

I love the Wii mote controls but have been curious about trying to get better with a controller. I generally suck but do okay enough to make it through the single player in some games I've played in the past. Wouldn't dare try to go online. Is there really any need to buy a CCP if you already have a CC? Does the placement of the zL and zR on the CC really matter that much in FPS? Or can you work around them so you don't need to use them?

Not home at the moment so can't check the settings in any game.

I tried it with the CC and found it a little awkward, precisely because of the placement of Z buttons. CCpro was a noticable improvement. I wouldn't say the game is unplayable or anything with the CC, but it's not the ideal way.

Is this really the official Japanese boxart for the game?

51hFLIxiR7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how they always seem to get the best cover versions even for western games.

Boerseun

Banned
It's great this game is finally getting a Japanese release!

The single-player is such a terrific shooter, with its perfect blend of stealth and over the top gunplay. And it's one of those games that requires you to restart immediately after finishing (at a higher difficulty level of course!), because it's just that good.

Then there's the multiplayer, which I've sunk two dozen hours into, and though it doesn't do anything new, it's still amazing fun, with well-designed levels and balanced weaponry.

Though I'm not a fan of this particular version of Bond (a really awful and inaccurate realisation of the character), I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo and Eurocom team up for more Bond-goodness. It doesn't have to be based on a pre-existing game, I just want more Bond video games done in this format with this amount of polish (even if it has to use Daniel Craig's Bond).

Top Bottom