• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can you take a picture? I ask cause I use canary.

W4F3krv.png

The bar is almost the same color as the track, making it REALLY hard to see sometimes, especially when it's smaller than it is in that picture.

Sarcasm

Yeah..doesn't bother me. Than again its easy notice-able for me. Think this is the we all see the same color different thing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The bar is almost the same color as the track, making it REALLY hard to see sometimes, especially when it's smaller than it is in that picture.

It can also be your monitor. At work my monitor is terrible at colors and i can barely see it. At home it's much better and easier to see.

But I agree overall it is less visible than before.

Chrome just updated (Stable channel) to 32.0.1700.7 and now it has this issue where randomly, a page will blank out - and cause all other pages to blank out, even ones in other Chrome windows. Reloading the page doesn't help, I have to actually open a new tab and go to the url again, and pray that one doesn't blank.

Happens on my, and my better half's PC, since the update. Anyone else?

Chrome just updated (Stable channel) to 32.0.1700.7 and now it has this issue where randomly, a page will blank out - and cause all other pages to blank out, even ones in other Chrome windows. Reloading the page doesn't help, I have to actually open a new tab and go to the url again, and pray that one doesn't blank.

Sounds like you either have a very low spec machine, or you have tons of tabs open, or there is a bug causing your renderers to crash. Only thing I can think of is that multiple tabs are sharing a renderer, and then one of the renderers is either crashing or being shut down to to low system resources, and all the pages that go with that renderer stop drawing when the renderer shuts down.

If it's on BOTH of your PCs, then I might also be tempted to suspect third party software, like a virus scanner or something. Do you have Kaspersky, AVG, or any other similar software installed?

ScOULaris

It can also be your monitor. At work my monitor is terrible at colors and i can barely see it. At home it's much better and easier to see.

But I agree overall it is less visible than before.

Yeah, it's definitely his monitor. Either it's not very color-accurate or the contrast is set too high.

Sounds like you either have a very low spec machine, or you have tons of tabs open, or there is a bug causing your renderers to crash. Only thing I can think of is that multiple tabs are sharing a renderer, and then one of the renderers is either crashing or being shut down to to low system resources, and all the pages that go with that renderer stop drawing when the renderer shuts down.

If it's on BOTH of your PCs, then I might also be tempted to suspect third party software, like a virus scanner or something. Do you have Kaspersky, AVG, or any other similar software installed?

i5, 8GB RAM, SLI x GTX560. It's not the spec.

This happens with just one tab open, or three. I rarely have more than four tabs open at a time. It's not the amount of tabs.

I don't use Kaspersky or AVG, but we both do use Microsoft Security Essentials, and have since it came out, and since Chrome came out. If it is the issue, then the fault lay with this new Chrome update. And I'll uninstall Chrome before I uninstall MSE, that's for sure.

EDIT: Looking online, seems this is a wide-spread issue and getting wider as more people update. It's related to the new media hooks, and it's affecting almost everyone. Guess I'll wait for a patch.

GutsOfThor

Is there any way to get Chrome to be the default browser for the Google play music manager? I have set to be the default browser but every time I open Play music manager it opens in Firefox. I don't want to uninstall Firefox...

Nebula

I get this issue as well. I have to close the tab, go to another website and then from that website I have to go to where I originally wanted to go. It's annoying the crap out of me.

refreshing, copying and pasting the address in a new tab or new window doesn't work.

any flags I should enable for a better Chrome experience?
or just leave it at default?

There's experimental DirectWrite support for better font rendering, but I'm not going to advertise how to enable it because it requires disabling chrome's security. If you're interested, you can do some googling and maybe figure it out, but even then I don't advise leaving it on for a significant period of time unless you're browsing in a VM

I get this issue as well. I have to close the tab, go to another website and then from that website I have to go to where I originally wanted to go. It's annoying the crap out of me.

refreshing, copying and pasting the address in a new tab or new window doesn't work.

I tried Beta channel. Same thing happens. Tried Dev channel, same thing. Whatever this is, they really didn't catch it at all at any point, wow.

Groof

Anyone else having trouble opening PDF files straight in Chrome? I'm on the latest beta build, and whenever I try to open one it just gives me a dark grey screen. I enabled in plugins to always run the PDF viewer but it still only works sometimes. Has resulted in me having to download one too many PDF files.

RedShift

Maybe this is old news but I just noticed that Chrome now puts a little speaker icon on tabs that are playing any sound:
mTpmSqU.png

Brilliant solution to the old 'I have 25 tabs open, which is playing a video?' problem.

Ambitious

Chrome users! Chrome Extensions are being bought out by malware scumbags, leading to injected ads. Details: http://t.co/gbbOjOI71z

Goddammit, I love Hover Zoom.

Thanks for the heads up!

Replaced Hover Zoom with something else. Installed it eons ago and it had no ads back then. Really bad that it got added without notifying the user. Google needs to do something about that.

What do you use now? I've had a look at both Imagus and HoverFree, but.. why do they need to be able to modify my history?

Atruvius

After the update pop-up windows give the "these pages have become unresponsive" pop-up message even though the pages work just fine. So annoying. I was just writing an email in Microsoft outlook web app and every 30 seconds I would get that pop-up. Or when trying to watch a twitch stream in pop-up window.

Makes me want to change to Firefox but I haven't saved any passwords to Firefox.

benjipwns

Banned
You know as well as I do that those aren't replacements for the feature that was removed.

History in Chrome is notoriously poor, and the second shortcut will just reopen the previously closed tab. The NTP used to remember full sessions with multiple tabs from before and allow you to reopen them. I have no friggin' clue why they removed that feature once the Previous Tabs section was moved to the overflow menu.
It's not perfect since it doesn't open the entire history of the tab (none of the similar extensions seem to be able to do this), but: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simpleundoclose/emhohdghchmjepmigjojkehidlielknj

Quentyn

Goddammit, I love Hover Zoom.

What do you use now? I've had a look at both Imagus and HoverFree, but.. why do they need to be able to modify my history?

I switched to Imagus. Seems okay enough. I don't really know why it needs to modify the browser history, but Google says it is one of the lower risk permissions so it should be okay? Not really sure. Certainly seems better than hidden adware in Hower Zoom though.

The reason Hover zoom free and imagus need history access is so when you have viewed a image the link can appear purple so you know you viewed it already.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anyone having problems streaming videos?? I video would load all the way however when I hit the play button it stutters ever 5 seconds. Blows however any quick solution to this?
edit:nvm I fixed it.

Atlantis

anyone having problems streaming videos?? I video would load all the way however when I hit the play button it stutters ever 5 seconds. Blows however any quick solution to this?
edit:nvm I fixed it.

How'd you end up fixing it?

I've been having huge issues watching streamed video in Chrome lately. The CPU usage is insane. The videos work absolutely fine with Internet Explorer of all things.

How'd you end up fixing it?

I've been having huge issues watching streamed video in Chrome lately. The CPU usage is insane. The videos work absolutely fine with Internet Explorer of all things.

Check about:gpu and see if hardware video decoding is on or off. Sounds like it's doing software decoding for some reason.

That's because the Flash version in Chrome is not using the GPU for decoding the video. I also switched to IE for watching Twitch streams. It sucks.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Maybe it's not working in chrome for some people or certain GPUs? Because I don't think this affects 100% of pepper flash users, or this would have been treated as a P0 emergency blocker. When you look at about:gpu, what does it say for Video Decode?

Quentyn

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Maybe it's not working in chrome for some people or certain GPUs? Because I don't think this affects 100% of pepper flash users, or this would have been treated as a P0 emergency blocker. When you look at about:gpu, what does it say for Video Decode?

It says Hardware accelerated, but maybe that is only referring to HTML5 video? Because Chrome is certainly using the GPU there to decode the video. On Giant Bomb for example, when I switch from Flash to HTML5, the CPU usage goes from almost 100% to less than 30%. There also is the other issue that is linked in there and from that it certainly looks like a feature that is not implemented yet.

You are right though, it is weird that that has such a low priority. After a user complained in the first issue, a Google employee said nothing and just assigned the issue to someone from Adobe. That makes me thing that is really out of Google's control and that they have to wait on Adobe to get of their ass and fix it.

Chrome GAF, please help

Recently Chrome has been INCREDIBLY slow. Just "waiting" for pages to load with a white screen. I would have to reload a few times for it to load

first I Thought it was my internet but Safari works flawlessly.

Plz advise, I don't wanna use Safari :(

Gah, did Chrome recently change how they handle closing multiple tabs at once? I used to be able to linger and close a bunch of tabs at once and the remaining tabs wouldn't resize to fill the width until I moved my mouse. Now it resizes if after you close a series of tabs from the same domain.

All these little annoying things (new scroll bar, forcing me to use the new new tab page, the stupid white blanks still next to predictions in the address bar) are eventually going to make me jump ship.

Just not... yet. But soon. I think.

red731

Chrome GAF, please help

Recently Chrome has been INCREDIBLY slow. Just "waiting" for pages to load with a white screen. I would have to reload a few times for it to load

first I Thought it was my internet but Safari works flawlessly.

Plz advise, I don't wanna use Safari :(

Try to check what is loading or waiting for in the status bar - I had similar problems with GAF on Chrome.

It was hanging on some ad site fetching ads to show here - they have fixed it, since I coulnd't do anything about it except blacklisting the ad site(which I haven't tried).

Try to check what is loading or waiting for in the status bar - I had similar problems with GAF on Chrome.

It was hanging on some ad site fetching ads to show here - they have fixed it, since I coulnd't do anything about it except blacklisting the ad site(which I haven't tried).

Hmm. I just uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems to be working (For now)

EDIT

Nevermind, I lied. What the fuck, Google? How is Safari working faster on YOUTUBE than it does on Chrome?

DonMigs85

Chrome scrolls very slowly on my Lenovo E135 laptop (it just uses an AMD E2-1800 APU but still).
I've switched to Waterfox which performs a lot better.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Finally updated and I cant alt tab with a fullscreen video staying fullscreen anymore? That sucks with my chromecast :/

Top Bottom