• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I just started having a problem with a small black bar appearing between the bottom of Chrome and the top of the taskbar:

XfP7k9V.png

Anyone else have this issue?

So I just started having a problem with a small black bar appearing between the bottom of Chrome and the top of the taskbar:

XfP7k9V.png

Anyone else have this issue?

Should be fixed in latest canary / dev build. You can either use canary / dev build, or wait a few months and it will be pushed to stable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone have a suggestion for this youtube stutter? Every vid I open stutters like crazy. This song starts to stutter whenever I select 720p or higher. Below that it plays fine.

NH Apache

Banned
Anyone have a suggestion for this youtube stutter? Every vid I open stutters like crazy. This song starts to stutter whenever I select 720p or higher. Below that it plays fine.

My Youtube is giving me a blank screen with audio. I have to inspect element to get it working.

Flash has been tested on adobe site and works.

Edit: Re-installed and it works. Current version is 31.0.1650.57 m

Google Voice Search Hotword (Beta)

This extension allows you to say ‘Ok Google’ and start speaking your search.
Now you can talk to Google when you’re using Chrome. Hands-free. No typing. Simply say “Ok Google” and then ask your question. Note: this extension sends your question to Google only when it hears the phrase “Ok Google.”

How to get started
1) Download the extension.
2) Click “agree” to give your permission to use your microphone.
3) Visit Google.com on Chrome and give it a try. Just say “Ok Google” and then ask your question.

kehs

Banned
If no one has messed around with the Voice Search extension, it's pretty rad.

I was worried it would still try to capture sounds if you were on mic in a tab, but it shuts itself off.

Guri

Is there a reason why Chrome doesn't update the tab title after you read a Facebook message (it gets stuck on "(1) Facebook" or "X sent you a message") or you select a related video on YouTube, but the tab still shows the name of the previous videos? Stable channel.

Wonder if anyone can help with an issue I'm having with Chrome today.
Suddenly all the icons for my extensions are not showing up next to the URL bar at the top of the browser. The used to be lined up next to the Customise button.
But now, instead there is a double arrow [see first screen shot] which when clicked shows the extension listed [see second screenshot]
Anyone know how to bring this back?
I've tried rebooting the PC and browser, maximising the screen. Cant see a how to drag, extend the section with the extension to redisplay them.
I haven't installed/uninstalled anything which could of caused this and can not see anything in the setting or extension tab to see how to bring these icons back.

Version 31.0.1650.63 m
Windows 7

yZl6YLV.jpg

xolpr5q.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you hover over the right-most line of the Omnibar (next to the bookmark star) you should get a horizontal grab cursor, which will let you drag it back to where it was.

Any idea if there is a extension that allows me to go back to the last tab I was on when I close the current tab? For some reason chrome gets random and will put me on some different tab when I close the current tab im on instead of the last one I was on.

Cigol

I've just recently installed Kaspersky (via a bank offer), going from MSE, and the network monitor says that in just 6 days Chrome has uploaded over 25GB... um.. Should I be concerned? I don't do any specific uploading in Chrome, and it lists 4PM as when there was a spike of some 6 or 8 GB when I know I wasn't using my PC for anything.

I've just recently installed Kaspersky (via a bank offer), going from MSE, and the network monitor says that in just 6 days Chrome has uploaded over 25GB... um.. Should I be concerned? I don't do any specific uploading in Chrome, and it lists 4PM as when there was a spike of some 6 or 8 GB when I know I wasn't using my PC for anything.

It might be the updater. I know a new release was just pushed at a time that more or less matches when you saw the spike. the amount seems kind of excessive, so I can't really comment on why it would upload so much.

In any case, it might be worthwhile to check your extensions and see if you have any rogue extensions installed, or something like that.

Chrome 32, where are you? I want the GPU acceleration improvements and WebP support so we can start murdering huge 256-color GIFs as soon as possible.

Echoplx

I just noticed I got the 32.0.1700.72 beta update even though I'm on the stable channel, what's going on?

Not a big deal, everything feels much smoother now (especially scrolling) but it's still strange.

Quentyn

I can't believe Pepper Flash is still not hardware accelerated. There is a bug open for over a year and nobody is doing anything about it. I am tired of having my fans spin up and frame rate drops whenever I watch a Youtube video or Twitch stream in fullscreen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Kinyou

So suddenly my new tab page is completely blank (zero text, nothing). Any idea what I could do to get the normal version back (with the quick links and google searchbar)

So suddenly my new tab page is completely blank (zero text, nothing). Any idea what I could do to get the normal version back (with the quick links and google searchbar)

Move your mouse around on the page. Does your cursor change to, for example, the I-beam cursor when it's around the middle of the page? Or does it change to other types of cursors as you move around?

This sounds like a bug to me. Do non-NTPs work?

Kinyou

Move your mouse around on the page. Does your cursor change to, for example, the I-beam cursor when it's around the middle of the page? Or does it change to other types of cursors as you move around?

This sounds like a bug to me. Do non-NTPs work?
Thanks for the response, but weirdly enough has it suddenly reappeared, despite me not doing anything. Must have really been some form of bug.

ScOULaris

The new blue highlight around text fields and buttons is pretty slick. I prefer it over the old orange/gold one. I also like the look of the new scrollbars, even if they did remove the scroll arrows on the top and bottom. Do people still actually use those?

The new blue highlight around text fields and buttons is pretty slick. I prefer it over the old orange/gold one. I also like the look of the new scrollbars, even if they did remove the scroll arrows on the top and bottom. Do people still actually use those?

The scrollbars have a couple of legitimate uses. For example, when the scrollable area is huge, but the window is very small, a very minor movement of the scroll anchor results in a very large scroll of the viewport. By using the arrow buttons, it only moves one line at a time. You can use the mouse wheel, but some people use trackpads, and either don't have a mouse wheel, or a very difficult to use mousewheel.

Multi-select list boxes are another problem because it's hard to do Shift+Click selecting with a trackpad without the arrow buttons.

I think the arrow buttons or something similar to the arrow buttons will eventually find its way back in an update, but nothing decided yet.

MooMoo

Holy crap. Maybe this has been there for a while but if you have a touchscreen, swiping from left to right on desktop chrome has the same effect as going back a page. Really clean animation too.

Thanks Andrex. Can't install at work but will check it out when I get home. Do you know if it brings back "other devices" and "recently closed" on the new tab page? Couldn't tell from the screens or description.

Any particular reason why you really really need it on the NTP? It's still available from Hotdog menu -> Recent Tabs

ScOULaris

Any particular reason why you really really need it on the NTP? It's still available from Hotdog menu -> Recent Tabs

One thing that I miss from back when the option was on the NTP was how it included "recently closed windows" as well. Very useful for when you would accidentally close out of Chrome altogether.

Zios

Banned
Newest update is making certain webpages, especially neogaff, not load unless I tab out or scroll wheel to make the page load...odd and annoying.

ScOULaris

Ctrl+H?

Ctrl+Shift+T?

You know as well as I do that those aren't replacements for the feature that was removed.

History in Chrome is notoriously poor, and the second shortcut will just reopen the previously closed tab. The NTP used to remember full sessions with multiple tabs from before and allow you to reopen them. I have no friggin' clue why they removed that feature once the Previous Tabs section was moved to the overflow menu.

You know as well as I do that those aren't replacements for the feature that was removed.

History in Chrome is notoriously poor, and the second shortcut will just reopen the previously closed tab. The NTP used to remember full sessions with multiple tabs from before and allow you to reopen them. I have no friggin' clue why they removed that feature once the Previous Tabs section was moved to the overflow menu.

Ctrl+H currently remembers full sessions with multiople tabs from other devices, as does Hotdog Menu > Recent Tabs. So I'm still not sure what the NTP did that currently doesn't work.

ScOULaris

Ctrl+H currently remembers full sessions with multiople tabs from other devices, as does Hotdog Menu > Recent Tabs. So I'm still not sure what the NTP did that currently doesn't work.
I'll have to check again later, but I seem to remember the hotdog menu version of Recent Tabs clearing every time you close the browser.

Top Bottom