• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
That's how everything with Google Now works, and gmail isn't it?

Google parses out non-marked up text and provides contextual info; like reading your e-mail and picking up UPS/FedEx/USPS codes. It's some sort of list of regular expressions or some other parsing language that they keep up to date; new company starts selling airline tickets google has to add something to their server-side engine to parse.

Or am I missing something here? All this seems to mean is that google already had code pulling the text of your screen doesn't it?

Yeah that's how it works now, but in select Google applications - I guess what is impressive to me is that it doesn't need to be aware of app context or anything, it just knows, even in third party apps that can be formatted in so many different ways.

Translate won't be an exciting feature to me until someone can do a Keynote and then at the end be like "Oh, by the way, I did this whole Keynote in Mandarin, but it's been automatically translated to English so you didn't even know." *drop mic*

Avixph

Translate won't be an exciting feature to me until someone can do a Keynote and then at the end be like "Oh, by the way, I did this whole Keynote in Mandarin, but it's been automatically translated to English so you didn't even know." *drop mic*
That would be awesome.

The catch is probably what was mentioned earlier: you give them permission to use your data to build their recognition technologies and stuff like that.
It's a trade really... they get to look at your stuff, but you benefit from the technology they build by being able to look at your stuff.

dc89

I realllllly think the whole whooping thing at these kind of conferences has to stop.
Well, maybe not altogether, but whooping every single thing HAS to stop.

M is certainly an incremental update and Google has said as much. I thought the keynote was fine up until when they started talking about the revamped Google Now. I think that they expected too big of a crowd response for what they were showing.

It definitely is impressive how accurate their voice search software has become, and this newly improved understanding of context makes things even more natural. But to me, it is simply the next step in voice search software, and thus not extremely impressive. The crowd's silence showed as much.

The way they kept using the phrase "we'll be able to assist you" really weirded me out. I am all for apps becoming more helpful to the user, but I am definitely not a fan of my phone using software to decide what app info pops up on my device without my doing.

To me, this is like the argument of Xbox One's voice commands. They're cool, but I can do things much faster manually.

Lazlo

It's been built into Google Translate for a while now. Works surprisingly well.

Ah, they haven't expanded it past the base languages. I switched to german just to test and I see it now. Hopefully more languages will come soon.

x-men-animated-series-season-4-7-sanctuary-part-2-asteroid-m.jpg

Is it bad that this is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Android M"?

jwk94

me too, but my dropbox is at like 80% and i have to rar and split videos for box because of the filesize limit

might have to swap dropbox for onedrive.

I stopped using DB a LONG time ago. Once Amazon came out with their unlimited photos I used that in conjuntion with Google Photos on two accounts and IFTT on another Google Account. New Google Photos needs to launch though. This is exciting.

I stopped using DB a LONG time ago. Once Amazon came out with their unlimited photos I used that in conjuntion with Google Photos on two accounts and IFTT on another Google Account. New Google Photos needs to launch though. This is exciting.

i probably would have too if i didn't have like 23GB unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom