• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Gaaraz

Anyone else find the notifications icon drop down in the top right by far the best/easiest way to keep track of things, and also for actually viewing and replying to things?

I hope the main site becomes more like that soon... it's almost kinda confusing right now

ramyeon

First feeling is of confusion. But that's just years of using Facebook speaking. I'm sure I felt the same way after joining Facebook from MySpace. This could be interesting once it goes public; the real dealbreaker will be how it catches on.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as one of the lucky I feel this has actual potential to be a facebook contender.

the photo sharing stuff is very good. picassa upload -> straight share to whatever circles.

Something shit though is that when adding from suggestions, you can't see what email is being suggested.

giga

I'll be using this a lot.

5887183237_63558e5643_o.png

I think it is telling that I stayed up three hours past my normal bedtime to play around with this. It has some huge potential.

So....tired.

Mik2121

DMPrince said:
they'll probably add games when the thing opens up and see how much of a hit this is.
Hopefully they don't. The website doesn't seem to be build around that kind of stuff at all. Plus, knowing Google, I doubt they would do that.

Maybe they just keep the Google Apps (and games) in some profile category or have some sort of Achievements thing where you can share stuff in Google+ or invite friends from Google+ to play online. Dunno.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Tis very interesting but I have no friends. Maybe I should make friends. I really, really hope this doesn't get bogged down in games and apps.

Shurs

Mistle said:
Wait so.... Can I not completely hide everything (except name and DP) from people who I am not following?

I'm pretty sure you can hide/show pretty much whatever you'd lie to show or hide. There are Privacy options under Account Settings.

I know I can limit posts to be viewable only to the people I follow.

I can also hide links to my websites to the general public.

giga

Mistle said:
Wait so.... Can I not completely hide everything (except name and DP) from people who I am not following?
Go to privacy settings.

Main thing its missing though is that it lets anyone view the full size of your profile pic. I don't like that. Needs to just be a thumbnail like you can do in FB.

giga said:
I'll be using this a lot.

5887183237_63558e5643_o.png

It seems like such a good idea now, but one day you'll be sitting on your computer and one of those not-friends will look over your shoulder and see that they are in that group, and get upset.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Well, this is cool, and the circles are a nice idea (more intuitive and simple than the lists in fb).
Also it isn't filtered at work, which is a huge plus :p

remz

Mistle said:
You can use the circles thing to set some pretty strict hiding and stuff, even stricter then fb... it just seems the defaults are a tad loose.

Mistle

remz said:
You can use the circles thing to set some pretty strict hiding and stuff, even stricter then fb... it just seems the defaults are a tad loose.
Alrighty, I seemed to have set everything so only people in my circles can see them.
Things such as DP updates still show to the puclic though. Not sure if I can hide those general updates that aren't specified to any sort of circle..

GCX

Am I the only one who's at least a liiiiiittle bothered that if Google+ kicks off Google will probably know more about me than me myself with Google search, Google+, Youtube, Chrome, GMail, Android, etc?

Tim-E

GCX said:
Am I the only one who's at least a liiiiiittle bothered that if Google+ kicks off Google will probably know more about me than me myself with Google search, Google+, Youtube, Chrome, GMail, Android, etc?

I accepted the fact that Google knows every single thing about me years ago, so it no longer bothers me really.

There are already games in iGoogle if you are so inclined. I hope they keep that bullshit as far away from Google+ as possible; as of right now, it's extremely accessible but can be expanded upon greatly via other Google apps as the user grows comfortable with what the company is offering.

They've got a hit here.

bubnbob said:
Can you remove people? I can just "block" them.

Drag them out of your circles.

Noshino

GCX said:
Well you could always use different services and not just Google's......

I actually love the fact that it is just one company as it all stays together, bettera implemented as well

celebi23

Still getting the "Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon." message :( Come on Google, let me in.

bubnbob

Banned
I got denied on one email, but I got in first try with a different email. Dont know what decides it, but if you have multiple emails, give it a shot.

It looks like the Google web toolbar that pops up on all Google services has updated to include + functionality so you can share stuff without actually going to the + page. Very promising stuff for such an early product.

This thing looks really good, but I'm not gonna jump on board when none of my friends are on it. It's not that I don't want to tell them about it, it's that they won't care, lol

Also, I only have 55 FB friends, and really only talk to, like, 10? So the selling point, Circles, is redundant.

I really want the privacy features though. GAH.

xtop

The Financial Times' Tim Bradshaw explains how the "resharing" feature of Google+ negates this considerate privacy feature entirely:

Say a close friend of mine posts a picture of her kids to her "friends" Circle. With the "share" option on every Google+ post, I can reshare this with absolutely anyone, from another Circle to which my friend does not belong, right through to making it completely public. The same loophole applies not just to photos but to any kind of post, as far as I can tell.

If she'd known about this risk (and how would she?), my friend could have disabled resharing using the drop-down menu on the right-hand side of every post, but it doesn't seem to be possible to do this before she'd already published it. Google+ also, for now, lacks any way to turn off resharing of all your posts from within its privacy settings.

http://gizmodo.com/5817012/google%2B-stumbles-out-of-the-gate-with-privacy-loophole

:(

edgefusion

I was mostly indifferent to this when I first heard about it but after having tried it I really love it and hope it catches on with my friends. Much more simple and intuitive than Facebook and no app-crap to boot.

giga

WickedAngel said:
There is a very clear option to keep people from being allowed to share a post. It's your own damned fault if you don't bother to look into how your content is being made available.
That's stated in the article. The problem is that you can't make all your posts disabled for resharing without going through them one by one. You can't even make all future posts resharing disabled by default.

giga said:
That's stated in the article. The problem is that you can't make all your posts disabled for resharing without going through them one by one. You can't even make all future posts resharing disabled by default.

Then submit a feature request via feedback; that's precisely what is supposed to happen in beta.

SimleuqiR

giga said:

The people that I trust and are in their designated circle will not "reshare" anything.
Just don't post stuff you don't want to allow to be reshared to the circle of people you don't trust.

Edit:

I agree on the "Feedback" thing.

Meier

The black and red color scheme has carried over to their search results page as well now. Looks like they've made the actual "search" button more vibrant as well. They're going for a drastic departure from the drab Google of the past.

Top Bottom