• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

gcubed

Meier said:
The black and red color scheme has carried over to their search results page as well now. Looks like they've made the actual "search" button more vibrant as well. They're going for a drastic departure from the drab Google of the past.

yeah in their posts around google + they said to expect UI changes and enhancements across all google services in the coming weeks. So far i am liking all the changes. They need to change gmail a bit

Sh1ner

Got a random invite, signed up, my friends + account = everything filled in, including employment history. Mine - completely blank because a few months back I cleared all the info Google kept on me.

kaskade

The reason this has the potential to take off is the google homepage. Asking someone to join when they go to google.com is a huge number of people. I'm sure that's a pretty big reason why Chrome blew up.

kehs

Banned
How is that a privacy loophole?

You don't trust someone to with your pictures, don't share with them to begin with.

I'm almost pretty sure that as soon as you remove someone from a circle, anything you shared with them will disappear, and that should remove the reshare as well.

Reminds me of the jolly rancher teacher story.

survivor

Banned
Is there a way to edit who can see my post after it's been made? Like I just shared a link with one person, but is there a way to edit that and make it go to a circle, without having to share the same post again?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
SonnyBoy said:
Any idea if the iPhone app for G+ was released today?
It has to go through the Apple approval process. But there's a web app.

Enco

survivor said:
Is there a way to edit who can see my post after it's been made? Like I just shared a link with one person, but is there a way to edit that and make it go to a circle, without having to share the same post again?
I don't think so.

I haven't found a way.

Copernicus said:
How is that a privacy loophole?

You don't trust someone to with your pictures, don't share with them to begin with.

I'm almost pretty sure that as soon as you remove someone from a circle, anything you shared with them will disappear, and that should remove the reshare as well.

Reminds me of the jolly rancher teacher story.

Exactly.

Or how hard is it to do this?

idJmla.png

kehs

Banned
survivor said:

Nope, and there's probably won't be a way either.

It's like trying to post a thread with replies and all in another forum after three pages.

Dragon

Banned
andycapps said:
I just sent them feedback regarding this. I encourage everyone to do the same. That needs to be fixed before this goes beyond the limited beta.

Uh you can disable resharing by clicking on the icon on the upper right of any post as far as I can tell. What else are people expecting?

Enco

devildog820 said:
While the headline is a little sensationalist, it's a huge pain in the ass to click that on every post. It should be a default option.
That's true. Shouldn't be hard for Google to put in a toggle.

However, if you have friends who would share private info, maybe you should reconsider what you share with them.

kehs

Banned
I hope they add an "Appear as ______ to this circle as ______".

Alot of people have online contacts that don't know they real names (gaffer for example).

giga

TheBranca18 said:
Uh you can disable resharing by clicking on the icon on the upper right of any post as far as I can tell. What else are people expecting?
For it to be the default option like Facebook.

W8YgQ.png

Dragon

Banned
giga said:
For it to be the default option like Facebook.

W8YgQ.png

That's about sharing the post in general to your circles versus letting the post you have shared be reshareable. Aren't those two different things?

giga

TheBranca18 said:
That's about sharing the post in general to your circles versus letting the post you have shared be reshareable. Aren't those two different things?
In the end, aren't the two just being shared to people who you didn't want it to be shared with?

Not sure if this was discussed, but when you turn your location on your phone, the mobile interface can show a stream of everyone using Google+ around you.

ezekial45

Banned
Is there another way to invite people to google+? I still can't do it through email.

Are you guys finding another way to do it?

Mik2121

ezekial45 said:
Is there another way to invite people to google+? I still can't do it through email.

No. The people sending the invites is people that left the page open since before the invites button was turned off. But they only turned it off for the night (in the US), so I guess it should open up again in a few hours.

kaskade

ezekial45 said:

I think they closed all the options. They might have gotten way more than they were expecting.

I wish we had some list of gaffer or something since i'm probably going to have no real life friends using this for a while now.

Copernicus said:
Don't have that circle.
Well, that sucks. I only want a stream from family and very few friends.

The Circle interface is 10x better than Google Contacts to organize people I know. I don't want to see a conscious stream of updates in exchange to organize my contacts.

Usefulness already undermined.

cynlix

This has probably been said before but after using g+ for the past few hours,it feels like more of a communication tool for friends you talk to often, rather than facebook where it's a networking tool to keep it touch with old classmates and family. More like twitter+tumblr rather than a facebook copy.

andycapps

marathonfool said:

The Circle interface is 10x better than Google Contacts to organize people I know. I don't want to see a conscious stream of updates in exchange to organize my contacts.

Send them feedback stating so. This is a beta, afterall. Designed for people to test and provide suggestions.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Time for some feedback! Things I want:

1. Gmail integration. A dedicated page + notifications would probably be all I would need.
2. An easier way to private message than just going to the share panel and selecting that particular friend.

cynlix said:
This has probably been said before but after using g+ for the past few hours,it feels like more of a communication tool for friends you talk to often, rather than facebook where it's a networking tool to keep it touch with old classmates and family. More like twitter+tumblr rather than a facebook copy.
That will prevent any mainstream adoption. People want to be connected to many people in some fashion. They don't want to be pushed status updates from all of them.
andycapps said:
Send them feedback stating so. This is a beta, afterall. Designed for people to test and provide suggestions.
I just sent. Thanks.

cynlix said:

I feel like its more a sharing tool. Its twitter on steroids. Kinda perfect for what I want to do with my friends.

andycapps

Kinitari said:

1. Gmail integration. A dedicated page + notifications would probably be all I would need.
2. An easier way to private message than just going to the share panel and selecting that particular friend.

That second one is a good suggestion. Short videos to explain the service to you and how to get into it would be nice too. I know they did the introduction videos, but there is a lot that has to be figured out.

kehs

Banned
marathonfool said:

Create a circle with family, a circle with friends, and a circle with family & friends. That way your doll collection stream doesn't interfere with the other three

If you think of circles are labels instead of lists or folders, it's alot better to conceptualize.

Google just gmailed facebook.
Kinitari said:

What's wrong with chat?

Purkake4

Banned
Why should I care again?

Google is trying the 54289th method for getting out of their "everything needs a personal touch" crisis. How many failed Google social projects do we have by now?

andycapps

Kinitari said:

That second one is a good suggestion. Short videos to explain the service to you and how to get into it would be nice too. I know they did the introduction videos, but there is a lot that has to be figured out.

How do I actually invite people via their email addresses?

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:

How do I actually invite people via their email addresses?

There will be an invite box on the bottom right of your stream page.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Copernicus said:
What's wrong with chat?

Chat is instant messaging, I am talking about sending someone a message when they are not online, for example, that they will see privately on their stream, or maybe if they integrate gmail with G+, they'll get an email.

kehs

Banned
Kinitari said:
Chat is instant messaging, I am talking about sending someone a message when they are not online, for example, that they will see privately on their stream, or maybe if they integrate gmail with G+, they'll get an email.

Chat messages get saved into gmail if the conversation if on the record. You can also send them even if the person if offline.

You can also send them an email from their profile page.

andycapps said:
That must be disabled for the time being then. I don't have it.

Yup, they turned of invites for the time being.

tirminyl

foodtaster said:
the fact that GAF people are asking how to do things means this will definitely never catch on

Which I don't understand. It really is simple. People are thinking about it too much, imo.

The only thing that I think could be immediately easier is messaging people, but thinking about it, it doesn't seem like a big issue.

I will certainly be sending over some enhancement requests later today.

andycapps

tirminyl said:
Which I don't understand. It really is simple. People are thinking about it too much, imo.

The only thing that I think could be immediately easier is messaging people, but thinking about it, it doesn't seem like a big issue.

I will certainly be sending over some enhancement requests later today.

Messaging people can be pretty easily fixed, I would think. All they need to do is allow you to search for their name at the top and then click a button to either send a private message or an email. Or you can select their name and then have those options there. I'd prefer both of the above actually.

Top Bottom