• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Korey

Emerson said:
Pretty much. I like this a lot but I don't know how it's going to steal audience away from Facebook.

"They're different things" is not an acceptable answer. People do not want another social network. G+ will either take Facebook's audience or it will fail.
What's funny is that the Google+ advocates on this thread can't even make up their mind on whether Google+ is "better than Facebook" or "not the same as Facebook", because they don't understand how social networks work.

So you have someone saying "this is going to destroy Facebook" then a couple of posts later telling someone not to compare the two because they're "different things".

Google+ is starting to resemble Tumblr, where people just share online content with a bunch of random "internet friends", and few real life friends.

santouras

Copernicus said:
Oh god. Social network fan wars.

smh.
PBF020-Skub.gif

Terrell

Boards of Canada said:
So I invited a bunch of my friends and co-workers to Google+. Most of them asked "What is Google+ and why should I be on it instead of Facebook?"

I couldn't answer that question.
Google's brand history ensures that updates will be done to the service swiftly and in line with things that its users actually want, and won't implement features that change your settings without your consent, for one.
Better privacy record, for another.
And last but not least... tell them that if they've ever used a Google service like the search engine or YouTube, it's intuitively designed like their existing services with a much smaller learning curve than Facebook that would allow them to get the most of the features available.

It's really an easy sell to people.

Korey said:
What's funny is that the Google+ advocates on this thread can't even make up their mind on whether Google+ is "better than Facebook" or "not the same as Facebook", because they don't understand how social networks work.

So you have someone saying "this is going to destroy Facebook" then a couple of posts later telling someone not to compare the two because they're "different things".

Google+ is starting to resemble Tumblr, where people just share online content with a bunch of random "internet friends", and few real life friends.
128710660012739291.jpg

kehs

Banned
JaskoX1 said:
Can someone please link me the post on G+ with the gaf comment list

I don't have it on hand, but one place you will never find it, is in the OP for the OT Google+ on GAF in the Off Topic Section. It's definitely not near the bottom of that post. It may or may not be the very same thread your are posting in.

------

I'm not sure how I feel about the .vcf floating around...especially since it's not really something one can opt out of...

Enco

CalamityDaunt said:
Is there a way to bulk add google profiles yet? Not via the email method but the actual profile urls.
Nope.

I don't see how this is an issue. Only for adding GAF members could it possibly help. With public circles coming there will be zero need for it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G+ needs a feature similar to Facebook groups, soon. Just call them "shared circles" or something.

Unless, of course, I'm being dumb and there's already something like that.

Hylian7

Myke Greywolf said:
G+ needs a feature similar to Facebook groups, soon. Just call them "shared circles" or something.

Unless, of course, I'm being dumb and there's already something like that.
I thought I remember Google saying something like that a feature like that called "Public Circles" was eventually coming.

I'm looking forward to the eventual API release.. once that gets released I'm sure we'll see a lot of apps that offer interoperability with other social services, and cool chrome extensions etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The iOS app shouldn't take this long to be approved.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I can't wait for the iOS app. The mobile web app is functional, but pretty damn clunky.

So far, I have about 20 people I know IRL on G+. Mostly friends, but also my BFF's stepmom, this lady I used to nanny for, a friend of mine who moved to Seattle last year, and this author I share letters with sometimes. Circles are perfect for actively filtering my posts and making sure what I say is relevant/appropriate/not gonna get me in trouble.

And I really love having ongoing conversations between just three or four people. It's better than email in many ways, I'd say.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so, are we able to keep certain circles off of your general stream yet? I have a circle of people who don't stop talking about GAF.

gcubed

Sunflower said:
Alright, so, are we able to keep certain circles off of your general stream yet? I have a circle of people who don't stop talking about GAF.

no, and its the biggest reason i dont have a GAF circle.

Korey can you tell us what you think Social Networking is? All I've heard you say is that it is Facebook and that it is not Google+, so what is Social Networking?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower said:
No, and it's a pain in the ass. I recommend using at least one Circle for people you want to Follow. I have four "following circles":

Following : Everyone I follow.
Following Favorites : The people I'm especially interested in.
G+ Staff : Self explanatory.
Gaming : Gaming journos, bloggers, and a few GAF members.

And these are all separate from my general GAF circle.

andycapps

travisbickle said:
Korey can you tell us what you think Social Networking is? All I've heard you say is that it is Facebook and that it is not Google+, so what is Social Networking?

The answer is simple, Facebook.

Terrell

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A few days, maybe, but we're nearing three weeks.

Vinci

Danish
Korey said:

Hmm. That's not how I'm using it. I've got real life friends, family members, co-workers, and some people from university onto this and it's working great for those purposes.

Question: Why are you so adamantly opposed to G+?

Terrell

Bboy AJ said:
A few days, maybe, but we're nearing three weeks.
From 148apps.biz:

APPLICATION APPROVAL DELAY
June, 2011: Maximum delay 45 days, average delay 8.27 days.

And that was back in June, without, as I said, a major OS launch that requires EVERY Mac App Store app submitted with Lion-exclusive features to be approved before the Lion launch, which is presumably next week.

Enco

Terrell said:
From 148apps.biz:

APPLICATION APPROVAL DELAY
June, 2011: Maximum delay 45 days, average delay 8.27 days.

And that was back in June, without, as I said, a major OS launch that requires EVERY Mac App Store app submitted with Lion-exclusive features to be approved before the Lion launch, which is presumably next week.
Hopefully it's not 45 days late.

Ah well I don't have any friends on it who regularly use it so it's not much of an issue.

Bboy AJ

shidoshi said:
G+ has been completely down for me for at least an hour, maybe longer. Just me?
You're using Chrome, right? I had that issue before, too. You have to uncheck Use TLS 1.0 in Under the Hood. Reload the webpage. Should work. Then recheck Use TLS 1.0. This is if IIRC. If it doesn't, google the error message along with "google plus."

mollipen

Bboy AJ said:
You're using Chrome, right? I had that issue before, too. You have to uncheck Use TLS 1.0 in Under the Hood. Reload the webpage. Should work. Then recheck Use TLS 1.0. This is if IIRC. If it doesn't, google the error message along with "google plus."

Yup, that was it. Thanks!

Trurl

Banned
The longer that I am on Google+ the more I realize how terrible Facebook is.

Why is "sharing" other people's posts so much more enjoyable on G+ than on Facebook? I hardly ever use the feature on Facebook but it seems like I use it constantly on G+.

Question
Why won't my notifications appear on Google?
In my stream, they appear normally (on top-right, with a number detailing how many notifications I had). But on google's main page, they don't, like they used to.

Any help?

Top Bottom