• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Plus: "We're already bored with it!"

The Lamp

Google+ is just...so....boring.

I love the fact that I can multi-video-chat with people and organize my friends in different circles (which btw, can I put one person in two different circles?)...

But other than that it's really bare-bones compared to facebook and I hope they add way more features to actually compete reasonably with facebook....right now it's just not up to par yet.

Also the +1 icon is terrible and needs to look more sleek and streamlined to fit in with the rest of the site.

gerg

Has Google patented the whole "circles" concept? (Would they even be able to?)

I just wonder what the likelihood is of Facebook copying the idea before Google+ really gets up and running.

Trurl said:
The longer that I am on Google+ the more I realize how terrible Facebook is.

Why is "sharing" other people's posts so much more enjoyable on G+ than on Facebook? I hardly ever use the feature on Facebook but it seems like I use it constantly on G+.

Because most of our friends are dull.

You're not going to want to share their posts about how pissed off they are, or how much they love their kids, or posts moaning about immigrants. Half of the folks on mine end up liking silly pages with passive aggressive undertones to them.

There's nothing stimulating to read at all. Which could be down the Facebook's more personal nature, where people really do care what people think about them, or simply it could be down to the shit town I live in.

I've read much more worthwhile things on Google + than I have on Facebook put it that way, perhaps because people can afford to be braver without upsetting their friends.

gerg said:
Has Google patented the whole "circles" concept? (Would they even be able to?)

I just wonder what the likelihood is of Facebook copying the idea before Google+ really gets up and running.

I can't see it personally.

Most people on Facebook don't allow the public to see their page until they've been added. Whereas on Google + people are somewhat braver.

Fragmenting 100 or so people into circles on Facebook would seem a bit off considering it's nature.. You may as well delete them or not add them in the first place.

Some of my friends even get a bit uptight when you post on their "wall". I just hope Google continue with the sense of not having one.

Enco

The Incarnation said:
Most people on Facebook don't allow the public to see their page until they've been added. Whereas on Google + people are somewhat braver.
You couldn't be more wrong. Nearly everyone has their wall fully public because they can't be bothered to check their privacy settings.

No way can I see them using circles though. Not in a million years. Especially as they have lists.

eznark

Banned
The Lamp said:
But other than that it's really bare-bones compared to facebook and I hope they add way more features to actually compete reasonably with facebook....right now it's just not up to par yet.

Like what?

kelbear1

Banned
eznark said:
Like what?

I'm guessing it's going to take some Farmville or Mafia Wars to get this thing into full swing. I'm kind of kidding, but...not really. Facebook has grown into a platform for many different things, and Google+ will need to offer at least some competition on that front to get people to move. It's kind of a dead zone, at least among my social circles.

Vinci

Danish
The Lamp said:
Google+ is just...so....boring.

I love the fact that I can multi-video-chat with people and organize my friends in different circles (which btw, can I put one person in two different circles?)...

Also the +1 icon is terrible and needs to look more sleek and streamlined to fit in with the rest of the site.

So long as G+ doesn't tank, it's going to eventually make Facebook look like a confused mess with nowhere near the same functionality. Given Google's extensive portfolio of services, do you have any idea what G+ could eventually become if they're able to merge all of them seamlessly together into it? Seriously, go to Google.com and hit the 'More' button, then the 'Even More' one.

I mean, seriously, look at all of it.

Google + is going to be a lot more than a social network in the end if they leverage the full extent of their services properly.

gerg

Enco said:
No way can I see them using circles though. Not in a million years. Especially as they have lists.

That people use lists would lead me to believe that they'd be more likely to use Circles, not less so.

The Incarnation said:
Fragmenting 100 or so people into circles on Facebook would seem a bit off considering it's nature.. You may as well delete them or not add them in the first place.

Ditto with people on Google+.

Some of my friends even get a bit uptight when you post on their "wall". I just hope Google continue with the sense of not having one.

With or without a wall, Google definitely needs to allow users to have profiles as thorough as those on Facebook.

Also, one more thing that Google+ is missing: users.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
So long as G+ doesn't tank, it's going to eventually make Facebook look like a confused mess with nowhere near the same functionality. Given Google's extensive portfolio of services, do you have any idea what G+ could eventually become if they're able to merge all of them seamlessly together into it? Seriously, go to Google.com and hit the 'More' button, then the 'Even More' one.

I mean, seriously, look at all of it.

Google + is going to be a lot more than a social network in the end if they leverage the full extent of their services properly.
I think that's ultimately why the critical mass of Facebook users won't migrate, to be honest. Facebook does one thing very well, and that's slowly adding subtle new features while keeping itself from becoming intimidating, at all costs. The more features you add to a social network, the less appealing it becomes to casual consumers, it seems. Social networks have been trending toward greater simplicity for a while now (Myspace - Facebook - Twitter), so to see a new one launch that is intentionally more complex seems like a massive misunderstanding of the space, to me.

I mean, if their target demographic is a net savvy person like you or I, I suppose that makes sense, but I don't think it is.

I'm not entirely sure the extra layer of privacy circles provide is actually a wise decision. I know people THINK they want it, but I've always felt one of Facebook's greatest strengths was how open everything is. You're either a friend, or you're not. I think that black and white distinction is very, very important. Making people think about who they're broadcasting to feels like a bad decision. It's that extra five seconds that make the whole experience feel like more effort than its worth to some people. Providing a means for a social network to feel passively exclusionary ("You're in one of my circles, but I never see what you're actually telling people, URGH" as opposed to YOU'RE JUST NOT MY FRIEND) is -- um -- dangerous, maybe? I can't quite articulate it. I just get the feeling people are more likely to be turned off by that feeling.

. So, yeah, uh, it's early days, I guess. I hope they work something out.

Shurs

Rez said:
I think that's ultimately why the critical mass of Facebook users won't migrate, to be honest. Facebook does one thing very well, and that's slowly adding subtle new features while keeping itself from becoming intimidating, at all costs. The more features you add to a social network, the less appealing it becomes to casual consumers, it seems. Social networks have been trending toward greater simplicity for a while now (Myspace - Facebook - Twitter), so to see a new one launch that is intentionally more complex seems like a massive misunderstanding of the space, to me.

I mean, if their target demographic is a net savvy person like you or I, I suppose that makes sense, but I don't think it is.

I'm not entirely sure the extra layer of privacy circles provide is actually a wise decision. I know people THINK they want it, but I've always felt one of Facebook's greatest strengths was how open everything is. You're either a friend, or you're not. I think that black and white distinction is very, very important. Making people think about who they're broadcasting to feels like a bad decision. It's that extra five seconds that make the whole experience feel like more effort than its worth to some people. Providing a means for a social network to feel passively exclusionary ("You're in one of my circles, but I never see what you're actually telling people, URGH" as opposed to YOU'RE JUST NOT MY FRIEND) is -- um -- dangerous, maybe? I can't quite articulate it. I just get the feeling people are more likely to be turned off by that feeling.

. So, yeah, uh, it's early days, I guess. I hope they work something out.

Google+ really as open as you want it to be.

It's like Twitter in the way that you can circle people who don't have to circle you back.

Though I've sorted people into Circles, I pretty much always post publicly, and I primarily look at the "catch-all" feed rather than individual circle feeds.

Truth be told, I haven't used Google+ very much, but I've already found myself in better conversations than I have on either Facebook or Twitter because I'm not tied down to character restrictions and because pretty much anyone who wants to can join in can do so.

eznark

Banned
kelbear1 said:
I'm guessing it's going to take some Farmville or Mafia Wars to get this thing into full swing. I'm kind of kidding, but...not really. Facebook has grown into a platform for many different things, and Google+ will need to offer at least some competition on that front to get people to move. It's kind of a dead zone, at least among my social circles.

gross

andycapps

Copernicus said:
Nah, Zuckerberg has actually used google+.

Before making a diva like exit and trying to cry foul over privacy concerns. I'd be much more worried about privacy concerns on Facebook, honestly.

Melchiah

The Incarnation said:
Because most of our friends are dull.

You're not going to want to share their posts about how pissed off they are, or how much they love their kids, or posts moaning about immigrants. Half of the folks on mine end up liking silly pages with passive aggressive undertones to them.

There's nothing stimulating to read at all. Which could be down the Facebook's more personal nature, where people really do care what people think about them, or simply it could be down to the shit town I live in.

I've read much more worthwhile things on Google + than I have on Facebook put it that way, perhaps because people can afford to be braver without upsetting their friends.

It's all about what kind of friends you have, not about which social network they're using. If you have dull or shallow friends, their posts will most probably be dull or shallow as well.

My FB friends post interesting links, pictures, videos, or thoughts every day. Never a dull moment there. Whereas those of them, that are using G+, don't seem to want to post anything there, apart from one guy. Which is why G+ seems like one guy's monologue to me.

I think I'll stick with Facebook, just like the most of my friends.

P.S. Facebook has "circles" as well. I've formed a closed invitation-only group there, where we post and discuss matters, which we wouldn't necessarily want to address in public FB space.

SimleuqiR

JackEtc said:
Topic: Sex, Love, Dating, and Relationships

This'll be fun. Where's my mask?

Eyes_Wide_Shut_4165.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Melchiah said:
P.S. Facebook has "circles" as well. I've formed a closed invitation-only group there, where we post and discuss matters, which we wouldn't necessarily want to address in public FB space.
that's totally different from how circles actually works but ok you guys have fun in there

JackEtc

SimleuqiR said:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GB4CLzBI6kU/TiWlpMFymJI/AAAAAAAAVsU/-8fbhgBNvwg/s800/Eyes_Wide_Shut_4165.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
LOL

Also: [B]iPhone App is here![/B]

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id447119634?ls=1&mt=8"]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id447119634?ls=1&mt=8[/URL]

SimleuqiR

samus i am said:
Blackberry? Keep dreaming!
BB user here :(

Welp, I know about 90% of my family members on FB interact with the service via their BB app. Mobile is where is at, and Google can't turn a blind eye to BB devices and to an extent Windows Phone 7.

Wonder if the iOS app will have an effect on how many more people will start joining/using the service.

DaNcaKe

Anyone else having troubles with the app working properly with iOS5? (to be expected, ofc)

I allowed push notifications when it initially asked, but seeing as it's broke with my OS vers I'd like to turn it off. Anyone know how? Can seem to find settings anywhere (in app or OS settings menu).

Ryaaan14

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Take a picture and it automatically gets uploaded
Whoa wtf? From the camera app or from the G+ app? Seems like that would be super spammy if it was from camera.

DaNcaKe said:
Anyone else having troubles with the app working properly with iOS5? (to be expected, ofc)

I allowed push notifications when it initially asked, but seeing as it's broke with my OS vers I'd like to turn it off. Anyone know how? Can seem to find settings anywhere (in app or OS settings menu).
I can turn off all notifications for G+ in the settings:notifications menu.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the iphone app works, huddle just woke me up!

Davidion

_dementia said:
It sends them to a private/unshared album

It basically immediately dropboxes every picture straight into your personal stash on your G+ account; no one will see it unless you approve it.

It's incredibly efficient, but it's also kind of dangerous if you're prone to taking embatrassing/inappropriate pictures and aren't careful.

Ryaaan14

Banned
_dementia said:
It sends them to a private/unshared album
Yeah just tested and unsurprisingly no it doesn't.

Would be convenient, but sounds too good to function properly. Can't tell you how many times I've taken like 20 pics of my cats just to get the perfect one. I wouldn't want that shit clogging up the private album if I had to go digging through it for something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have so many failed attempts at pictures in my G+ album. I don't really like it either.
It seems like a feature made for people who don't take a lot of pictures with their phone.

SimleuqiR

Ryaaan14 said:

Would be convenient, but sounds too good to function properly. Can't tell you how many times I've taken like 20 pics of my cats just to get the perfect one. I wouldn't want that shit clogging up the private album if I had to go digging through it for something.

On Android you can set the settings for uploading "only when connected to Wifi and/or while charging the phone". So you will have time to delete those ugly shots of your cat before they get uploaded.

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:

At that point, I don't think you get to blame the tech. Your therapist, maybe.

Pachterballs said:
Why is the google app not showing up on the iPad but it shows up n I can download it via the Pc...?

Too lazy to plug it into iTunes.
I just clicked on the link in this thread from my iphone and it let me download it. Try that.

Top Bottom