• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Ryaaan14

Banned
eznark said:
At that point, I don't think you get to blame the tech. Your therapist, maybe.
zcXOz.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
IOS app link isn't working on my iPad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is there anything the iOS app can do that the Android one can't? Or vice-versa?

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Yeah just tested and unsurprisingly no it doesn't.

Would be convenient, but sounds too good to function properly. Can't tell you how many times I've taken like 20 pics of my cats just to get the perfect one. I wouldn't want that shit clogging up the private album if I had to go digging through it for something.

Seriously though, how is that different from what you would do on any other site? You'd have to dig through the shitty cat photos to find the least shitty and make it public one no matter where you put them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
_dementia said:
auto-upload on Android
I wonder if goog purposely didn't put it in for the initial release to make sure this app went through the first time around. And now that there's an app up, they're sending out the update with auto upload in. If it gets rejected, at least the app is still there.

Ryaaan14

Banned
eznark said:
Seriously though, how is that different from what you would do on any other site? You'd have to dig through the shitty cat photos to find the least shitty and make it public one no matter where you put them.
Because if a picture is shitty, I delete it once I find a good photo, then I place that one photo on a site.

If I have all photos uploaded automatically, that means to select a photo I took today, I'll have to open an album that is showing hundreds and hundreds of photos I didn't want to use.

It would be like sorting through my first Photobucket before tinypic was around to dump stupid shit into.

kehs

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Yeah just tested and unsurprisingly no it doesn't.

Would be convenient, but sounds too good to function properly. Can't tell you how many times I've taken like 20 pics of my cats just to get the perfect one. I wouldn't want that shit clogging up the private album if I had to go digging through it for something.

I told you man, doggie treats.

Bboy AJ said:
I wonder if goog purposely didn't put it in for the initial release to make sure this app went through the first time around. And now that there's an app up, they're sending out the update with auto upload in. If it gets rejected, at least the app is still there.

That's my thinking too.

Vinci

Danish
Rez said:
I think that's ultimately why the critical mass of Facebook users won't migrate, to be honest. Facebook does one thing very well, and that's slowly adding subtle new features while keeping itself from becoming intimidating, at all costs. The more features you add to a social network, the less appealing it becomes to casual consumers, it seems. Social networks have been trending toward greater simplicity for a while now (Myspace - Facebook - Twitter), so to see a new one launch that is intentionally more complex seems like a massive misunderstanding of the space, to me.

But Facebook is intimidating. Look at it sometime. There's shit everywhere, and it does a lot of stuff. And I'm not advocating that G+'s current elegant design be lost - I'm suggesting that they use the tabs at the top of the screen while in G+ to help combine it with (in order) Gmail, Calendar, Documents, Photos, Reader, Web, etc.

Imagine if you clicked on the Gmail tab and your email box appeared where the 'Stream' is. Or if you clicked on Calendar, and it appeared in that area - allowing you to switch from one to the other without losing the G+ surround. How is this complicated compared to what Facebook has for messaging? Hell, many online users probably have some experience using Google's various services.

Imagine if you selected Google Maps, got directions for a trip with the various stops, and 'Shared' that on G+ with Friends, Family, or whomever. They can go into the trip and make changes, selecting a restaurant on the way for example, and send it back to you through the G+ interface. This is hard?

I don't think so. And that's something Facebook would be hard-pressed to do.

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Because if a picture is shitty, I delete it once I find a good photo, then I place that one photo on a site.

Right, so why can't you do the same thing in Google+? Delete the ones you don't like, make public the ones you do?

Ryaaan14

Banned
eznark said:
Right, so why can't you do the same thing in Google+? Delete the ones you don't like, make public the ones you do?
Really? Because I'd not only have to delete all my original trash, but I'd then have to re-delete that trash from G+ (if they even let you?).

I take WAY more photos than I share basically. So this feature is not convenient for me.

Bboy AJ

Is this the first iPhone app that only runs on the iPhone? I mean, why not enable emulation on the iPad or actually let it run on the iPod Touch?

kehs

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Really? Because I'd not only have to delete all my original trash, but I'd then have to re-delete that trash from G+ (if they even let you?).

I take WAY more photos than I share basically. So this feature is not convenient for me.

The photo uploading lets you also selectively upload pictures. Auto upload of everything is an option. You can even start the camera from the G+ app. This way you get a prompt after every picture asking if you want to upload. That's perfect for cat portraits.

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:

Wait, so after you upload stuff you still keep it on your camera?

This is how I do it (maybe we just attack this stuff totally differently): take pictures; upload pictures; delete entire camera; picture arbitrage on computer/cloud; start over with fresh camera the next time

Ryaaan14

Banned
Copernicus said:
You can even start the camera from the G+ app. This way you get a prompt after every picture asking if you want to upload. That's perfect for cat portraits.
And I have this, so phew.

eznark said:
Wait, so after you upload stuff you still keep it on your camera?

This is how I do it (maybe we just attack this stuff totally differently): take pictures; upload pictures; delete entire camera; picture arbitrage on computer/cloud; start over with fresh camera the next time
I use my phone to show pictures to people in real life, in fact that is my primary reason to keep photos on my phone (they can all be imported to iPhoto when I sync anyway).

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
And I have this, so phew.

I use my phone to show pictures to people in real life, in fact that is my primary reason to keep photos on my phone (they can all be imported to iPhoto when I sync anyway).

hence the app?

Ryaaan14

Banned
eznark said:
hence the app?
Sigh.

The app would show every picture taken. I do not want shit photos added to any album, online, offline, on my phone, anywhere. All I want are the photos I like. And out of the photos I like, I want to be able to choose the ones I want to share. Not in reverse.

To settle down your defense, the feature would be GREAT for people who only take pictures they want on G+. However only 1/100 photos I would post on G+.

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Sigh.

The app would show every picture taken. I do not want shit photos added to any album, online, offline, on my phone, anywhere. All I want are the photos I like. And out of the photos I like, I want to be able to choose the ones I want to share. Not in reverse.

To settle down your defense, the feature would be GREAT for people who only take pictures they want on G+. However only 1/100 photos I would post on G+.

I'm not arguing to argue, I'm trying to make it make sense for you. You get to organize your pictures within Google+, so you still only show what you want. Instead of keeping them on the phones hard drive however, you keep them in "the clooooud." It's the exact same system, just a different storage space with the option to share online immediately.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, if you freaks had the Sidekick2 you'd remember it works exactly like that.

Ryaaan14

Banned
eznark said:
I'm not arguing to argue, I'm trying to make it make sense for you. You get to organize your pictures within Google+, so you still only show what you want. Instead of keeping them on the phones hard drive however, you keep them in "the clooooud." It's the exact same system, just a different storage space with the option to share online immediately.
So when I delete a photo on my phone, it deletes it in the app? If so, then that is completely acceptable and I am sorry.

kehs

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
Sigh.

You can. (On Android at least)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Something actually superwhack that I'm kind of irritated with:

Ok so I got a sexy mms a few days ago. I saved it to my download folder on SD card like I do with every image someone sends me.

Now its on the G+ app. Its not on the website, but the app itself on my phone pops that picture up front and center when I go to the photo section.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Something actually superwhack that I'm kind of irritated with:

Ok so I got a sexy mms a few days ago. I saved it to my download folder on SD card like I do with every image someone sends me.

Now its on the G+ app. Its not on the website, but the app itself on my phone pops that picture up front and center when I go to the photo section.

Yeah, there's no filter for media yet on android. =/

Hope that changes soon.

eznark

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
So when I delete a photo on my phone, it deletes it in the app? If so, then that is completely acceptable and I am sorry.

Actually I'm not sure (I hope not), but like I said, I only curate in-app. Everything else I mass-delete. I don't need my "good" pictures saved twice.

Oppo

Every good iPhone hipster knows that you take the photo with a retro filter first in Hipstamatic or Platic Bullet, and then you upload from your photo library to G+. ;)

For the iPad, they really just need to update the website so the full functionality is available, like on the desktop. Facebook doesn't have an iPad app either; they treat it like a laptop. As long as they aren't doing anything mouse-specific (like rollovers) then it should be fine.

edit: holy crap. there IS an update for it already. craziness.

Terrell

Enco said:
Huddle is brilliant.

It might just convince my friends to switch and then goodbye facebook.
I know a lot of people who didn't wanna switch from Facebook because there wasn't an app yet. And that excuse is now gone, so yeah, I agree with this statement. One step closer to abandoning FB.

sn1pes said:
We won't ever see auto-upload in iOS.

iCloud will be adding the same functionality, so why would Apple allow it?

iCloud doesn't have the same functionality. Until iCloud pushes my photos onto Google+, this is nothing but FUD.

Melchiah

AstroLad said:
that's totally different from how circles actually works but ok you guys have fun in there

Hence the apostrophes. Anyways, the FB way works far better for me, and apparently for many of my friends as well.

Enco

I can't leave a huddle with a non G+ user? Added from my contacts by accident.

The button reception area could be made a bit bigger I think. It looks good though.

Top Bottom