• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

VanWinkle

Copernicus said:
I think I'm gonna send some feedback reminding them they have Android tablets out in the wild. Maybe the G+ app team is unaware?

Seriously. It's ridiculous they don't have a Honeycomb app for it.

Bit-Bit

Copernicus said:
I think I'm gonna send some feedback reminding them they have Android tablets out in the wild. Maybe the G+ app team is unaware?

Well with Ice Cream they're forced to make apps that scales seamlessly between phones and tablets. Probably something like their GMAIL, RSS READER, and GOOGLE VOICE apps. I use my VOICE app on my tablet more than anything.

- Move app to your SD card
ultra.jpg

Lord Error said:
How's everyone's experience with G+ nowadays? When it first a appeared, I opened the account, added a group of maybe 15-20 people who are mostly tech savvy real life friends and acquaintances. First week or so everyone was posting away, commenting, making fun of a facebook and how there's much smarter people on G+, posting news, interesting stuff they found or have seen or done, etc.

Forward to a few weeks later, my G+ is a complete wasteland, and noone has posted anything in the last 12 days I think. I pretty much don't even bother checking it anymore as the last three posts were from me, and no one commented anything on them. Asking some of the people from the group (as I know most of them in real life) they all have the exact same experience as I do. No one from their group posts anything anymore :\

Yep, same thing for me.

Crazyorloco

Enco said:
Those updates on the last page seem pretty rad.

Shame about the userbase.

yeah it's unfortunate. I hope more people join and stay active.

On the bright side, today I did notice google + is officially open to everyone (out of field trial, now it's in the Beta phase.)

Chorazin

Can't wait to get the app update when I get home, for some reason I can't download it on mobile at the moment.

So far, G+ is my favorite social network right behind Twitter, plus it seem to me that the girls are all pretty cute, or at least the ones in my Circles. And they're all a bit geeky to be on + from before they flung the doors open, which doesn't hurt!

Chorazin said:
So far, G+ is my favorite social network right behind Twitter, plus it seem to me that the girls are all pretty cute, or at least the ones in my Circles. And they're all a bit geeky to be on + from before they flung the doors open, which doesn't hurt!

[perplexednathanfillion.gif]

Polari

When did Sparks get pulled? Weird that they've implemented it into the search thing despite it seemingly no longer existing as a feature.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Those new features are awesome. I keep fighting the good fight and constantly post stuff on Facebook to try to get my friends to at least TRY Google+. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be doing much good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so all you folks who are active and don't have me in your circles yet send me your profile and i'll add you and you can add me to your gaffish circles. i try to post at least a few times a day and i enjoy threaded discussion just like on gaf. also want to mess around with these new features.

Terrell

Technosteve said:
According to the internet Google + is dead, I like it but i need more content creators in my stream!
Yeah, cuz the internet is NEVER wrong.
Now that it's open without invitation, you'll start to see a lot more random migrations and people picking the service back up.
Like I said earlier on, as well, it seems that Google+'s success is determinable by the region you're in, as well. Taiwan is apparently IN LOVE with it, and the volume of Taiwanese users astounds me.
But the major hurdle in migration is simply a lack of features when compared to Facebook, which is a major sticking point for some people. Who those people are, though, is a mystery to me. Personally, I find no one pays attention to their Facebook events anymore, or at least no one RSVPs, which eliminates half of their purpose.

But yeah, with the opening of Google+ to a public beta and the APIs being released, its influence can now have a wider reach than before. Part of why Facebook has so much activity is because, for most people, they interact with it passively through apps that link back to it (think stuff like Foursquare or multi-service apps like HootSuite). Now that users aren't going to have to be tied to the G+ website to share content anymore, it'll develop much faster than it has.

gcubed

Terrell said:
Yeah, cuz the internet is NEVER wrong.
Now that it's open without invitation, you'll start to see a lot more random migrations and people picking the service back up.
Like I said earlier on, as well, it seems that Google+'s success is determinable by the region you're in, as well. Taiwan is apparently IN LOVE with it, and the volume of Taiwanese users astounds me.
But the major hurdle in migration is simply a lack of features when compared to Facebook, which is a major sticking point for some people. Who those people are, though, is a mystery to me. Personally, I find no one pays attention to their Facebook events anymore, or at least no one RSVPs, which eliminates half of their purpose.

But yeah, with the opening of Google+ to a public beta and the APIs being released, its influence can now have a wider reach than before. Part of why Facebook has so much activity is because, for most people, they interact with it passively through apps that link back to it (think stuff like Foursquare or multi-service apps like HootSuite). Now that users aren't going to have to be tied to the G+ website to share content anymore, it'll develop much faster than it has.

well then they got the buzz moving at the wrong time. They've done this with a few other products as well... i dont know how they are going to get people interested in it again.

Damn, I'm excited about the APIs, especially the Hangout API!

I love that they're advertising it at Google.com too. I've been doing Hangouts with my mum, sister and 2 year old nephew - they all live about 340km away from where I currently live -- it took a bit of effort to get them to sign up, but they love how good it is... the nephew loves that I'm able to show him kids songs and shows via YouTube while talking to him too.

TruskyMX

SimleuqiR said:
Talking about pictures. Love the way they line up to the frame of the page...they keep their aspect ratio. Exactly like how MS is doing it photo service. Hope this translates to Picasa web profiles.

It does. Just beware that you don't go shooting naughty pics of the gf/bf which then get instantly uploaded and shared!!

eznark said:
Can someone bullet point the new features and why I should care?

• Hangouts (video chat, 1-on-1 or group) can now be done via mobile phones with Android 2.3 - iOS support is coming too.
  • You can now do "Hangouts On Air" - meaning you can broadcast the chats for all the world to see, and record them.
  • You can now name your public hangouts so people can find them, you might have a hangout about a certain sports team or videogame for example.
  • You can now do the following in a Hangout:
    - Screensharing - show people what's on your screen (tranny surprise)
    - Sketchpad - essentially a whiteboard you can use together (pictochat penises)
    - Collaborate on a Google Docs document
    - The Hangouts API has just been released, so doing the things above and watching YouTube videos is just the start. No doubt people will release games and other apps that integrate with it.
  • Sparks is now a part of Google+ Search. Sparks used to return news and links on subjects of interest. Now it'll return not just webpages and news, but Google+ users with the same interests or people of significance in those subjects too.
  • Huddles (on mobile G+) are now just Messaging. Which is a much better title, and will be better understood by people. You can now send photos as part of your group messages, and add people to conversations easier.

I think that's pretty much everything on the latest changes. You should care because that stuff is awesome :p

kehs

Banned
eznark said:
Can someone bullet point the new features and why I should care?

This guy posted two links to the official google+ blog where the new features are, listed, explained and even numbered.

Facebook better get a truckload of rebull for their coders, they're gonna have to be working nonstop to replicate all this shit:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-100.html

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-101-102-103-104-105-106-107.html

Still mobile only as far as I'm aware. What happens if you attempt to huddle with someone who doesn't have / use the android / iOS app? I've never tried it!

They have text chat in hangouts and as part of the Google Talk thing built into the main stream page, they should instantiate something there when someone messages you..

tirminyl

Would love to have an iPad app for this.

Weird that people are saying their streams are empty. My stream has been active since the day I started. Always a good amount of posts on there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jvalioli said:
Was wondering how they were going to let people know that it is now public(or beta).

www.google.com

Yep, clicked the +1 noticed it wanted me to make my profile public by default, lol'ed and backed out. Sorry Google, but if your default isn't "private and friends only" it isn't worth my time to set up when I already have a Facebook account. *shrug*

Still love you for e-mail and DNS, though.

TheSeks said:
Yep, clicked the +1 noticed it wanted me to make my profile public by default, lol'ed and backed out. Sorry Google, but if your default isn't "private and friends only" it isn't worth my time to set up when I already have a Facebook account. *shrug*

That doesn't make sense? The benefit of Google + is that people can see you but your communication with them is controlled by you.

Any posts you make you can decide to make privately to individuals/groups of friends, or publicly...

Your profile is public because it's a social networking site; like linkd in, facebook etc....but the way you communicate with people is different.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
TheSeks said:

That's not how it works bro. The first stream post you make is 'public' on default, but once you change that, it remembers the last option you made. So if you change it to "friends and co-workers" it stays on that until you say otherwise. What a weird gripe to have.

edit: Oh wait, you're talking about your profile itself. Yeah - I mean... if you don't want it public... don't?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
radioheadrule83 said:
  • Hangouts (video chat, 1-on-1 or group) can now be done via mobile phones with Android 2.3 - iOS support is coming too.
  • You can now do "Hangouts On Air" - meaning you can broadcast the chats for all the world to see, and record them.
  • You can now name your public hangouts so people can find them, you might have a hangout about a certain sports team or videogame for example.
  • You can now do the following in a Hangout:
    - Screensharing - show people what's on your screen (tranny surprise)
    - Sketchpad - essentially a whiteboard you can use together (pictochat penises)
    - Collaborate on a Google Docs document
    - The Hangouts API has just been released, so doing the things above and watching YouTube videos is just the start. No doubt people will release games and other apps that integrate with it.
  • Sparks is now a part of Google+ Search. Sparks used to return news and links on subjects of interest. Now it'll return not just webpages and news, but Google+ users with the same interests or people of significance in those subjects too.
  • Huddles (on mobile G+) are now just Messaging. Which is a much better title, and will be better understood by people. You can now send photos as part of your group messages, and add people to conversations easier.

I think that's pretty much everything on the latest changes. You should care because that stuff is awesome :p

You mentioned it briefly, but search is now fully featured and it is indeed awesome.

Terrell

travisbickle said:
That doesn't make sense? The benefit of Google + is that people can see you but your communication with them is controlled by you.

Any posts you make you can decide to make privately to individuals/groups of friends, or publicly...

Your profile is public because it's a social networking site; like linkd in, facebook etc....but the way you communicate with people is different.
When it comes to internet privacy, sense always leaves the building.

It's not like people don't know you're present on the internet, FFS, so why even bother trying to pretend you're not?

People are just weird that way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
tirminyl said:
Would love to have an iPad app for this.

Weird that people are saying their streams are empty. My stream has been active since the day I started. Always a good amount of posts on there.
I broke up my stream into regular and inbox so that I don't miss posts from close friends. One thing I wish they had was the ability to designate preferred posters or something where you'd get a notification if they post.

OK, I finally signed up for this, now that there's a giant arrow on Google's main page pointing to it. Not many people seem to be using it so far... think I'll stick with Facebook for now.

Chorazin

cooljeanius said:
OK, I finally signed up for this, now that there's a giant arrow on Google's main page pointing to it. Not many people seem to be using it so far... think I'll stick with Facebook for now.

You can't use both?

fugimax

Just spent the last hour reading a lot of this. :)

Check this out if you haven't yet, it'll walk you through getting your profile filled out, connecting sites you use if not gmail, and then finding interesting/famous people to follow: https://plus.google.com/getstarted

Something I'm using to increase engagement on my posts is manageflitter.com ... it pumps your public g+ posts to twitter (with a nice shortened link to your post if your post is too long).

And another tip is, when you share something important, you can either +mention people or hover over one of the circles you're sharing to and "Notify about this post" to send those people a notification / email. I use it for important things like vacation photos to make sure my parents get them.

---

Disclaimer: I designed a lot of Google+.
https://plus.google.com/115404182941170857382/

AstroLad said:
I broke up my stream into regular and inbox so that I don't miss posts from close friends. One thing I wish they had was the ability to designate preferred posters or something where you'd get a notification if they post.

You could create a separate circle of "people I love and/or admire" and check that stream out.

Crazyorloco said:
-join Hangouts from the mobile app
-Set profile photo
-Huddle is now Messenger
-Send photos in Messenger
- Long press on post to +1, share and mute
- Improved video posts support
- Improved public search for people
- Granular push notification settings
- Move app to your SD card
-Improved +mention support
-Various bug and performance improvements
-Post and participate in a Messenger conversations via SMS (U.S.)

Fucking finally. It was a real internal memory hog on my gimp phone.

jvalioli said:
Facebook updated again to make the right side of the top bar look like Google+

I'm on Facebook/Google + about twice a week....I'm a real casual user, but it feels since Google + launch, aesthetically speaking, Facebook has changed every time I've been on it. Now with the two tabs open and flicking between you can hardly see the difference.

Has Facebook even changed the font/kerning? It seems to look different (or the same as G+) too!

Mr_Zombie

It seems Google dropped the invitation-only and now anyone can use Google+.

And now it's time for the decision: do I need another social-network account. :|

Top Bottom