• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Futureman said:
just got it.

No way to link your YouTube w/ the videos section? Got my photos synced with Picasa... only makes sense.

Yeah, it's weird. Will probably happen in time. My dream is that tabs on Google+ profiles replace the individual profiles for Google's services. YouTube and Blogger chiefly.

Terrell

I think part of the reason that people are getting G+ fatigue is simply that there isn't much being reported by Google about their own bloody service.
I heard big bluster about added features, but this week is the first that I've heard about ANY changes actually coming into effect. I always felt that it was a great start with a lot of work left to be done and Google just.... sat on it, expecting that users would keep giving them ideas. But users will only ask for features if they see implementations of them. If they see no development, they will stop caring.
G+ NEEDS events via Calendar integration.
G+ NEEDS the ability to post videos directly to the service via YouTube.

And most importantly... Google NEEDS to start talking about G+ like they give a shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Futureman said:
so what are some good people to add to my circle? Interesting tech people would be nice.

Tech/programming:

Gaming:

Google:

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
I think part of the reason that people are getting G+ fatigue is simply that there isn't much being reported by Google about their own bloody service.
I heard big bluster about added features, but this week is the first that I've heard about ANY changes actually coming into effect. I always felt that it was a great start with a lot of work left to be done and Google just.... sat on it, expecting that users would keep giving them ideas. But users will only ask for features if they see implementations of them. If they see no development, they will stop caring.
G+ NEEDS events via Calendar integration.
G+ NEEDS the ability to post videos directly to the service via YouTube.

And most importantly... Google NEEDS to start talking about G+ like they give a shit.

http://www.google.com/support/profiles/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=release_notes.cs&rd=1

Gary Whitta said:
Annoying problem with Google+ iPhone app, I'm stuck with a badge on the icon apparently related to a Huddle which has got to be bogus since I've never done a Huddle (whatever the hell that even is). So far I've tried:

* Turning off all notifications
* Deleting and re-installing the app
* Starting a new Huddle to over-write the old one

Nothing works! Anyone else seeing this? I hate errant badges so I'm just about ready to delete the damn app over this!

The G+ iOS app is simply a piece of shit. It is such a POS that I quit G+ altogether and deactivated that portion of my Google account.

renitou

Terrell said:
It will fail because you refused to stand your ground. How can you expect people to switch when you crawl back to the loathed oppressor?
You're not fighting a revolution over some dictatorial regime, you overdramatic moron.

Keep social networking in perspective.

eznark

Banned
renitou said:
You're not fighting a revolution over some dictatorial regime, you overdramatic moron.

Keep social networking in perspective.

Wait...serious? You didn't pick up on that post being tongue in cheek? Are you a robot?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
For me, g+ has a lot of appeal:
+long form public posts are more enjoyable to read and write than twitter posts (seems like everyone is trying to be funny on twitter which gets old)
+feed isn't full of acquaintances like facebook (which I'm slowly whittling down, but its still annoying)
+the photo integration is so much simpler and more pleasing to use than FB
+circles rule, plain and simple
+handy integration with the top bar makes it feel less annoying to access than fb
+overall feels like it has choice elements of twitter, fb, and tumblr wrapped in to one and could easily replace tumbr and fb for me eventually

here's another person to follow:
Scott McCloud of Understanding Comics fame

Terrell

Copernicus said:
Minor tweak, minor tweak, minor tweak, major tweak, minor tweak, minor tweak... I'm talking FEATURES, not refinements. We're finally seeing some bigger changes, but for some people it was too late.
When FACEBOOK is rolling out new features faster, there's a problem with the perception of the platform, which was originally touted as being able to iterate at a greater rate than Facebook due to pre-existing infrastructures in their other services, and Google doesn't appear to be addressing this at all right now.

Google needs to add SD card support for more of their apps. The latest G+ update increased the space it was taking up from 7 to 12mb, which on the shitty space of a Desire, I can't fit anything else on there. :/

JonathanEx said:
Google needs to add SD card support for more of their apps. The latest G+ update increased the space it was taking up from 7 to 12mb, which on the shitty space of a Desire, I can't fit anything else on there. :/

Yeah me too, my Wildfire S is already bursting at the seams, yet a 16GB SD card is sitting there waiting to be used up.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
Minor tweak, minor tweak, minor tweak, major tweak, minor tweak, minor tweak... I'm talking FEATURES, not refinements. We're finally seeing some bigger changes, but for some people it was too late.
When FACEBOOK is rolling out new features faster, there's a problem with the perception of the platform, which was originally touted as being able to iterate at a greater rate than Facebook due to pre-existing infrastructures in their other services, and Google doesn't appear to be addressing this at all right now.

The product hasn't even launched.

It's been two (?) months.

Facebook.

drkOne

So, I finally decided to "use" G+, started following some people here and there and I'm satisfied with my Stream. It still doesn't beat the flow of "random things" of my Twitter timeline, but it's good enough to make me check G+ a couple of times a day.

One thing I'm really liking is the fact that the "interesting-useless" ratio of my G+ Stream is around 90-10, which is the complete opposite of Twitter, where I'd say it's more like 20-80 (and most of the interesting stuff comes out of Carmack's profile).
I'd say that the lack of word limit, snippets, etc. helps greatly.
But I do miss the "randomness" of Twitter, and its pace. Google does have Buzz, I wouldn't mind switching over, if they turn it to "text & links", the way I browse Twitter right now.
G+ overlapped Buzz in the media-sharing functions anyway.

Circles and how good images look on the Stream means I'll stop using Tumblr and start using G+ instead.
I had two different Tumblr blogs: one for gaming (screenshots, short reviews) and another for movies/tv shows (screencap + 1-paragraph-review).
I seriously hope Google will let you filter what you want to follow from a certain person. That way I won't have to bother people that only follow me for Movie-related posts with my Gaming-related ones.
The same way I would like to filter out Fashion-related posts from people I follow for Gaming reasons.

Other than that, I want Google to make use of all the services they already have. Mainly integration with Youtube (for your videos' tab) and Reader (sharing/+1ing).

Finally, more than having my real life friends around (I don't want to have to ignore 95% of them the same way I already did on Facebook), what I want is the people I'm currently following on Twitter/Flickr to move on to G+.
For example, I really like the way Patrick Klepek writes a little comment of his own before every snippet of an article. But it's still on Twitter that he's most active.
The same way that Karaface is already on G+, but you still have to check Flickr to be up to date on her work…

I will keep on using Twitter/Flickr until that changes, hoping that sooner or later I can have it all in one place.

drkOne

Terrell said:
Tag approval, geotagging posts, etc… Are those Facebook new features?
Minor tweaks that are long overdue.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What features has Facebook been rolling out lately? I'm honestly curious. Just seems to be tweaks to me.

Games just launched like last week. Opening that up is also going to be a huge feature. Hangouts was also integrated with YouTube recently, too. Sharing directly from +1 buttons is HUGE, no matter what you say. Business profiles are coming very soon, we know that for a fact. And the dozens of useful tweaks do add up. All this in just two months.

Edit- From that link I had no idea about circle re-ordering, that's very helpful for me. Why doesn't this page have an RSS feed?!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't know, can the Android browser install userscripts? You may be able to do it as that but I forget how to make userscripts...

drkOne

Andrex said:
Those using Google+ and Chrome may be interested in this extension I developed today:
Just tested it out, pretty cool and might prove useful. Will be fun once more people start using it.

gcubed

until it has groups and events i won't convert all the way over. Its much better then facebook in the features it has, but those features are still too small

gcubed

eznark said:
What is this events stuff that Facebook has that you guys keep slobbering all over?

its not even that spectacular, all it is is basically an evite built into facebook, but we will use it for parties, happy hours, etc. Good way to track who is going to show up in one place

linsivvi

gcubed said:
its not even that spectacular, all it is is basically an evite built into facebook, but we will use it for parties, happy hours, etc. Good way to track who is going to show up in one place

It is pretty much the most important feature of Facebook for me. Good for keeping track of friend events, and a lot of local organizers use Facebook to promote their events, concerts, parties, etc.

Chorazin

Polari said:
Google better integrate Photovine and Pool Party in + now they've killed off Slide.

Agreed, Pool Party would work really well mixed into G+. Shame it neve got out of private beta before they axed it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Are you delegating your click handlers for those buttons, or are you adding an event listener for each one individually? I haven't installed the extension but that might be one optimisation to look into if all else fails.

gcubed

linsivvi said:
It is pretty much the most important feature of Facebook for me. Good for keeping track of friend events, and a lot of local organizers use Facebook to promote their events, concerts, parties, etc.

oh, well yes, its important, but its not even richly featured. I can't fully move over, or have friends move over until its there

Didn't google wave have a pretty cool event thing? Where people could even vote for a day and/or for example which restaurant to go to? That shit was pretty slick too. I don't understand why it's not in +?

tehbible

Google+ i bet is stagnating.

its like a graveyard on that platform right now.

I am following so many folks yet there are so little updates from them.

Goldrush

Any words on when Google may be adding support for 3d photo and video in Picasa? With an EVO3D, I'm disappointed that a lot of the "shortcut" don't work with 3D content. Further disappointed that Picasa don't handle 3D video when Youtube does.

eznark

Banned
tehbible said:
Google+ i bet is stagnating.

its like a graveyard on that platform right now.

I am following so many folks yet there are so little updates from them.

Actually been pretty active on my feed. Lots of interesting tech people opining. Or maybe it's just Scoble with a ton of alt accounts.

Top Bottom