• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google removed uBlock Origin from Chrome

Draugoth

Gold Member
i53kbQzamv5sti8rwTnaCD-970-80.jpg.webp

• Google is transitioning Chrome's extension support from the Manifest V2 framework to the V3.
  • This means users won't be able to use uBlock Origin to block ads on Google Chrome.
  • However, there's a new iteration of the app — uBlock Origin Lite, which is Manifest V3 compliant but doesn't boast the original version's comprehensive ad-blocking features.
Google's campaign against ad blockers across its services just got more aggressive. According to a report by PC World, the company has made some alterations to its extension support on Google Chrome.

Google Chrome recently changed its extension support from the Manifest V2 framework to the new Manifest V3 framework. The browser policy changes will impact one of the most popular adblockers (arguably), uBlock Origin.

Source

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Does this apply to all Chromium based browsers too?

Eventually it will, yes. Depends on whether the other companies willingness to push the move to Mv3. I wouldnt expect Firefox which isnt based on Chromium to be safe either in the near future. Ads are whats driving said companies towards profit.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Maybe people will finally start using something other than google products.

I’ve tried to avoid them for years. I’m sure it’s not going as well as I think but I’m still trying.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is this a limitation inherent to Manifest V3, or is it just that uBlock needs to release a new compatible version?

Bojji

Brave will be ok for some time. After it stops working (if...) I will just jump back to FF like in 2007.

Fbh

Gold Member
Does this only affect Chrome specifically or all Chromium based browsers?
If not, then if you like Chrome just switch to one of the other Chromium ones (Brave, Edge, Vivaldi, etc=

Eventually it will, yes. Depends on whether the other companies willingness to push the move to Mv3
The problem is that Google is kinda enforcing everybody to transition to their standards by enforcing stuff using Youtube, Search, Gmail and so on.

Yes, we do. And you'll have to switch to Firefox too if you want to have the best ad blocking.
I feel quite good on Chrome with ublock and co. No ads on Youtube and stuff. Firefox is a bloatware.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

My Ublock is still present, but if it goes and there's no robust ad blocking solution that works for YouTube and other sites then I'll make the quick switch to something like Firefox.

winjer

Gold Member
My Ublock is still present, but if it goes and there's no robust ad blocking solution that works for YouTube and other sites then I'll make the quick switch to something like Firefox.

Manifest V2 will still be used in Chromium until June 2025.
Unless Google postpones it's removal again.

Soodanim

I'm not a fan of the sensationalist title, especially as this has been known to be coming for a long time now, but the effective result remains the same: V3 will disrupt a lot.

I have a strong dislike for Chromium based browsers anyway, so I'll be staying with Firefox (w/ Betterfox) with no intention of going anywhere.

Lambogenie

Everything spyware or has a price to become one. Only difference is I'd like others to also have my data. Google can't be the only ones, the gits!

Top Bottom