• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google removed uBlock Origin from Chrome

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ironically I e been transitioning more to Firefox mainly to being a key to pop out video and have split screen with as many as my PC can handle. It's amazing. I was watching 9 Europa games last season split on my 65"OLED thanks for Firefox.

A friend of mine turned me on to ublock on Firefox and been using it more. I use Chrome for specific things but this is honestly the last straw. I will be deleting it hopefully tomorrow if time permits.

Griffon

Same as i don’t use linux for work.
It’s icky
That's a shit comparison if I ever saw one.

Firefox wokrs flawlessly, doesn't require any tinkering whatsoever (instant import of your chrome settings if you make the switch) and is just better than chrome at just about everything now.

Not even trying it with a 30 seconds install is just corporate ass licking.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's a limitation imposed by manifest V3, by design.
Google does not want people to control what content our browsers show us.
Sure but how can they ensure some future code doesn't circumvent that? It's not like homebrew apps aren't one step ahead most of the time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sure but how can they ensure some future code doesn't circumvent that? It's not like homebrew apps aren't one step ahead most of the time.
Laziness.

Google knows that this is incredibly easy to bypass from a technical perspective, but doing so means someone would need to either build their own browser from scratch, or fork a pre-V3-mandate version of Chrome and update it to modern standards. Google knows that it's extremely unlikely anyone would put in the effort to do this, and even if they did put in the effort it's unlikely to gain much traction or gather a large install base. This is especially true since Firefox essentially already did this, so they know anyone who wants to continue using uBlock as-is is going to switch browsers anyway if that's a big enough pull for them. Even large corporations like Microsoft that use Chrome's code in Edge they know won't bother keeping this alive.

There are also really great DNS based ad blockers that work without any browser extensions and essentially do the same thing. A motivated individual could load up AdGuard Home or Pihole while still using Chrome and have essentially the same experience as Chrome + uBlock.

winjer

Gold Member

Maybe ad blockers will find ways around it. Maybe not.
But even if they do, there will be a period in time when we'll have no protection.
And mind you, it's not just about avoiding the annoyance of ads. It's also about protecting ourselves from malware.
For example, the FBI recommends using an adblocker.
And just recently, Google was caught, several times, selling ads to malware. And people got infected, because they thought it was safe.
Anyone can just buy Google ad space. And some bad actors decided to disguise malware as drivers and programs.
So when people were searching for those programs and drivers, Google served them the ads with malware, and people's computers got infected.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Last edited:

Nankatsu

As a Firefox user, this is amusing.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Laptop1991

I stopped using Chrome and went to Brave to avoid this nonsense, if i have to switch again, so be it, does Google think this will make more people use their browser ?, in the long run it will make less people use Chrome!.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Have been back on FF for two years now. Works flawlessly. It’s only a browser at the end of the day.

Great thing is Google has to sponsor FF developers so that they keep anti trust off their neck lol.

Bojji

I stopped using Chrome and went to Brave to avoid this nonsense, if i have to switch again, so be it, does Google think this will make more people use their browser ?, in the long run it will make less people use Chrome!.

They probably think it will be just few % of tech enthusiasts, and they are probably right. Most people probably didn't even heard about ad blocks.

I can't stand ads, I'm using ad blockers since month 1 of me having access to the internet in my home (2007).

Laptop1991

They probably think it will be just few % of tech enthusiasts, and they are probably right. Most people probably didn't even heard about ad blocks.

I can't stand ads, I'm using ad blockers since month 1 of me having access to the internet in my home (2007).
How they can enjoy browsing the net or Youtube with all the intrusive ads is beyond me then, their more or less unusable without an adblocker, you literally can't see what you want without them, in fact i would rarther not watch anything than have to put up with those ads

Last edited:

Valonquar

The internet without ad-blockers is like trying to watch cable television after relying on streaming\torrents for over a decade. It is a downright nauseating amount of commercials. It's made 10 times worse when it's set up so terrible that it repeats the same 2 commercials for every 5 minutes of content.

Tams

That's a shit comparison if I ever saw one.

Firefox wokrs flawlessly, doesn't require any tinkering whatsoever (instant import of your chrome settings if you make the switch) and is just better than chrome at just about everything now.

Not even trying it with a 30 seconds install is just corporate ass licking.

Mozilla can't design a UI for shit, and no, not a single one of the extentions changing the UI do so cleanly or even work well. It's clearly made by coders for coders. The mobile UI and it's lack of customisation is the most egregious.

Not to mention the how the memory leaks on desktop.

Oh, and not being able to use terms like 'master key' anymore because apparently that's prejudice.

Davevil

Here using chrome + abp + ublock origin... and everything work flawlessly... what's the matter?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
What about ARC? Is it also on chromiumns?

Is Arc based on Chromium?​

Yes, which means it supports all of the Chrome Extensions and websites that are essential to your internet workflows. That said, we’ve stripped away all of the unfortunate parts that Google has in there to support their ad business — we actually share a list of all the features we’ve disabled here. In other words, Arc is Chromium without the junk, which makes it faster too!

Excitingly, we built Arc in a way that makes it easy to swap rendering engines in the future. This means we may offer a WebKit version one day, or even build a rendering engine of our own. Time will tell!

The point is: Arc is Chromium-based in order to make it effortless to adopt and use with the applications and extensions that you rely on every day. But it doesn’t violate your privacy like other Chromium-based browsers.

There are also really great DNS based ad blockers that work without any browser extensions and essentially do the same thing. A motivated individual could load up AdGuard Home or Pihole while still using Chrome and have essentially the same experience as Chrome + uBlock.
This is the way. I run pihole on two raspberry pi's and no ads (run two for redundancy, so if one fails I can still access internet). I also run a vpn so I can connect to my home network and still get ad blocking on the move. Also found it bypasses some paywalls.

Found one of the forums I go on now restricts access/ features if you use ad blockers. It doesn't seem to harm me at the moment (fingers crossed it stays that way).

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I use Brave, with ABP, VPN with private ad blocking dns. I miss my pihole setup, going to have to get some new hardware for that. This works great for now.

Melon Husk

Let me translate into simpleton speak:

Google will allow you to keep blocking ads anywhere but Youtube. They want you subscribe to Youtube Premium.

Remember when the only in-video-ads where those yellow text boxes and 480p was the maximum resolution? Good times.

Last edited:

raduque

Everybody who says "im using chrome and ublock and it's fine" it's a gradual rollout of the policy. Chrome is going to remove v2 extensions from the store, and slowly disable them from the browser.

I read an article but can't find it now that stated some Chromium-bases browsers will support it official till June '25, Firefox will always support it (due to not being Chromium) and Edge hasn't committed to removing it, yet.

I miss EdgeHTML. I can't wait for the fed to bust up Alphabet.

Kurotri

I recently tried out Firefox again to see how it fares nowadays especially because of the anti-adblock shenanigans that Google is pulling. As soon as Youtube vids started stuttering and lagging, the browser shitting itself as soon as I up the quality to 1440p or especially 4k, I uninstalled. I found out through quick googling (heh) that Firefox for some odd reason just doesn't...support anything above 1080p? Also no HDR either IIRC. The fuck?

Went back to Chrome straight after. Any Firefox aficionados know why this is the case, or if it's been fixed? Browsing without adblock sounds like an actual nightmare and I really would love to use Firefox but presently it feels like a downgrade to me.

winjer

Gold Member
I recently tried out Firefox again to see how it fares nowadays especially because of the anti-adblock shenanigans that Google is pulling. As soon as Youtube vids started stuttering and lagging, the browser shitting itself as soon as I up the quality to 1440p or especially 4k, I uninstalled. I found out through quick googling (heh) that Firefox for some odd reason just doesn't...support anything above 1080p? Also no HDR either IIRC. The fuck?

Went back to Chrome straight after. Any Firefox aficionados know why this is the case, or if it's been fixed? Browsing without adblock sounds like an actual nightmare and I really would love to use Firefox but presently it feels like a downgrade to me.

So I just tried Firefox on my PC. Fresh install, no addons, no tweaks.
Ran a 4K video and it worked perfectly. No stutter. No playback issues.
You probably have issues with your PC or your connection.

PS: I normally use Brave. Not Firefox.

LRv4Qbv.jpeg

Kurotri

So I just tried Firefox on my PC. Fresh install, no addons, no tweaks.
Ran a 4K video and it worked perfectly. No stutter. No playback issues.
You probably have issues with your PC or your connection.

PS: I normally use Brave. Not Firefox.

LRv4Qbv.jpeg
Hmm..that's so odd. I'll have to try again. Everything's fine on Chrome

Hudo

To the surprise of fucking no one. Ads are one of their most important revenue streams. And Chrome is unfortunately the most popular browser. They'd be retarded not to try shit like this.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hmm..that's so odd. I'll have to try again. Everything's fine on Chrome

On the preferences theres a performance toggle that if unchecked allows to disable gpu acceleration.

Firefox GPU acceleration has been known to cause performance issues on some specific configurations and the toggle is there for that reason.

xrnzaaas

I'd love to read the marketing bullshit explaining how Manifest V3 is better for the user. And then have some cyanide.

Z O N E

Will this fuck up brave browser? Guess I'm moving to Mozilla or opera now.

Eventually.

June 2025 will be the end of Manifest V2 FULLY.

You can enable Manifest V2 till June 2025 by enabling Enterprise Policy "ExtensionManifestV2Availability". This makes it so whichever Chromium browser you're using, will officially support it tille June 2025.

I believe Brave has force enabled Manifest V2 extensions till June 2025, so you don't have to do anything on that browser, but in June 2025, say goodbye to it.

Also... Opera is a Chromium browser. So it will happen to that browser too.

winjer

Gold Member
Will this fuck up brave browser? Guess I'm moving to Mozilla or opera now.

Yes, but it might not be much.
Brave has it's own internal ad-blocker. And it can use the same lists as Ublock.
The issue is that it's not as customizable as Unblock Origin for 3rd party frames and scripts.

Opera and Brave are trying to find workarounds for Manifest V3. But that won't be certain to work.
Regardless, Manifest V3 is a piece of crap that will make the internet worse for normal users.

Wildebeest

I use Firefox. I'd rather stick with it than chrome, but there are hints that it isn't going in the right direction, such as them recently trying to sneak in some ad tracking tech. Brave I wouldn't trust at all, which I guess leaves Opera.

winjer

Gold Member
I use Firefox. I'd rather stick with it than chrome, but there are hints that it isn't going in the right direction, such as them recently trying to sneak in some ad tracking tech. Brave I wouldn't trust at all, which I guess leaves Opera.

Why don't you trust Brave?

Wildebeest

Why don't you trust Brave?
Brave has the sort of energy where if you question it, some spotty teenager with no life experience writes a book's worth of angry ranting about why you are an idiot for not believing in the Brave vision for the future of web browsing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom