• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Fails to Kill Methane Rule in a Capitol Hill Defeat for Oil and Gas Industry

The Senate on Wednesday rejected a bid to overturn an Obama-era rule that limits climate-warming methane leaks from oil and gas operations on public lands, but the industry, along with its allies in Congress, says it will continue challenging the rule.

The surprise 49-51 vote handed a defeat to the industry, which has pushed Congress to undo the rule under the Congressional Review Act, a little-used law that allows lawmakers to kill rules with a simple majority vote.

The rule, issued by the Department of the Interior at the end of the Obama administration, limits venting and flaring of methane from natural gas and oil drilling operations, a restriction that officials estimated would prevent 180,000 tons of methane from leaking into the atmosphere every year. Methane, the main component of natural gas, has over 80 times the warming power of carbon dioxide over a 20-year period.

Cutting methane emissions was a key element of Obama's plan for meeting the U.S. commitment under the Paris climate agreement, and many experts view methane cuts as an especially efficient way to reduce emissions in the short term. Proponents of the rule also point out that the methane that escapes during the flaring and venting process could power more than 6 million homes.
There is a lot more information in the article that is worth the read.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/10052017/methane-climate-rule-oil-gas-flaring-congress-vote-rejects

8GdjeYzll17qM.gif

This was brought up in the Comey thread. A lot of people think this may be a message from certain GOP members to McConnell and Trump since almost every vote before this was along party lines.

Linkura

McCain, Graham, and Collins finally at least attempting to walk the walk. Surprised even considering the Comey and AHCA shit.

Zolo

Would it be worth it to send some kind of 'thank you'? I figure if it's worth emailing to try and ask them to say 'no' on something, it's worth it to say thanks if they don't fall in line for a change. I would think this type of behavior should hopefully be encouraged.

McCain, Graham, and Collins finally at least attempting to walk the walk. Surprised even considering the Comey and AHCA shit.

Eh I wouldn't read much into McCain and Graham. Don't really know much about Collins. McCain and Graham are chickenshits and two-faced.

theWB27

Would it be worth it to send some kind of 'thank you'? I figure if it's worth emailing to try and ask them to say 'no' on something, it's worth it to say thanks if they don't fall in line for a change. I would think this type of behavior should hopefully be encouraged.

Nah... they don't get a pat on the back for doing something sensible once.

Sure.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
People are saying McCain and Graham did this to send a message. They flipped along with Collins.

NYT article claims they are three Republicans that do not share the same beliefs on climate change denial with their party, but need more receipts to believe that is actually the case here as they report.

NYT article claims they are three Republicans that do not share the same beliefs on climate change with their party, but need more receipts to believe that is actually the case here as they report.

I heard that more Republicans are changing their views on Climate Change, but I would expect it to be this.

Ithil

Graham and McCain looked for any skeletons in their closets earlier and were surprised to find something they thought they'd lost ages ago.

0bda9ce4205c45b6496871dde6f04682.jpg

The "One Use Only" tag attached doesn't bode well however.

Xe4

Banned
I heard that more Republicans are changing their views on Climate Change, but I would expect it to be this.
Grahm in particular I know changed his views on the matter after he talked to scientists. McCain co-sponsored the cap and trade bill that failed back when, so it's not too surprising. Collins lives in a liberal state, so her vote isn't surprising either.

johnsmith

remember me
Can you send me the link? I would like to see this.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/10...ment-bill-out-of-spite-over-the-comey-firing/

McCain’s conduct during the Senate vote also raises red flags. In the C-SPAN video of the vote, McCain can be seen in heated discussion with John Cornyn, R-Texas, the number two man in the Senate leadership, along with John Barrasso, R-Wyo., and an unidentified senator with his back to the camera. After yelling at them for close to a minute, McCain goes over to the Senate clerks and gives a thumbs down to record his vote. He then storms out of the chamber, as Cornyn raises his arms in mild protest.

Top Bottom