• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesta

Banned
Think I played submission the most on this album. Definitely one of their best songs in the catalog. Actually up there with feel good even with no damon.
Fun fact! Damon has one line in the song, a falsetto bit buried behind tons of effects during the weird bridge before Danny's verse.

My opinion is crap. Having said that, I just listened to the entire album during my workout. There were some decent tracks for that specific purpose. But like others said, I really didn't "feel" most of this one.
Give it time, you might grow to like it more. I wasn't really feeling it my first listen either and was feeling a bit let down but I gave it a few more spins and I'm really enjoying it. Seen the same on Reddit with users going from feeling cold on it or hating it to loving it. I think it's just hard to get over that stylistic shifts on your first listen but as you start to accept it for what it is rather than be disappointed at what it isn't it's more enjoyable. I feel like that's what got a lot of people down on Plastic Beach too.

Alpende

I just finished it and I quite like it. I dig most of the tracks and some I didn't really feel after hearing them once (like Charger). They might grow on me, we'll see.

Good stuff overall after the first listen! I don't really get that people are complaining about the lack of 2D. Compared to Plastic Beach it feels like Humanz has an equal amount of 2D. For me Gorillaz is mostly about the features and bringing artists together you might not expect and Damon succeeded in that.

DonShula

Give it time, you might grow to like it more. I wasn't really feeling it my first listen either and was feeling a bit let down but I gave it a few more spins and I'm really enjoying it. Seen the same on Reddit with users going from feeling cold on it or hating it to loving it. I think it's just hard to get over that stylistic shifts on your first listen but as you start to accept it for what it is rather than be disappointed at what it isn't it's more enjoyable. I feel like that's what got a lot of people down on Plastic Beach too.

OK I'll try it again. There were some good beats in there either way.

gehh5exuaduy.jpg

Lmao

I mean, that is the theme though. It's a party at the apocalypse and the entire album is focused on that, some people are reflecting on their life experiences and some people just wanna enjoy the party.

Agreed, they're really really really damn good

Again, that's kind of the theme of the album, though the album itself really isn't that long (clocking in at 1hr9m). I can understand feeling like the songs don't cohesively flow together but I think that's what the interludes are for, and to drive home the theme.

I will agree that there are fewer influences but I think that's just a result of the theme though I personally would have liked to see something more eclectic, I really enjoy what we got.

The theme of the album is being too long?

NotLiquid

CLOCKS
ON THE WALL
TALK TO WATCHES ON THE WRIST
IT'S THE
GTJVUdm.gif
WE RELIVE
IT'S THE
GTJVUdm.gif
LIKE THIS

WHEN IT'S TIME TO GET ILL
WE'D BE SO AHEAD OF TIME
IT'S THE
GTJVUdm.gif
WE ACHIEVE
BEST BELIEVE IT'S THE
GTJVUdm.gif

6iFBn0k.gif

DNAbro

After giving the whole album a listen yesterday and another listen today, it's still probably my least favorite Gorillaz album. Both Plastic Beach and Demon Days are masterpieces. This one just kind of falls flat in comparison. I still like the album a lot but just a bit disappointed.

Busted and Blue is easily the best song on the album.

Other favs
The Apprentice
Andromeda
Ascension
Let Me Out
Momentz

NotLiquid

I think I like the album more than self titled and maybe just as much as Plastic Beach.

I remember hearing some kind of fan edit of Plastic Beach that re-inserted several B-sides as interludes, updated Glitter Freeze with elements of it's demo, added Electric Shock/Stylo demos etc. which made it overall resonate a bit better to me. It elevated the album a lot for me personally, but I have issues with the original cut, particularly the latter half of the album.

I don't actively dislike any tracks on this album and I find them all groovable. On a track by track basis I like this more than Demon Days but that album is way more rewarding from front to back and there's no disputing that.

BearPawB

Banned
Man, it wasn't clicking with me yesterday. But today I blasted it while in the garage doing workouts and everything just felt right.

The album makes me want to dance.

I think it does lack that "ONE SONG" a bit.
But it is weird as fuck beautiful as hell.

Fjordson

The album does nothing to me. Just kinda boring.

I thought Plastic Beach was ass too so I guess i'm off the Gorillaz train.
I liked Plastic Beach from the jump, but also think this is boring.

I'm sad because you never know if this is the last Gorillaz album. And if not, it'll be years before the next one.

TM94

The 1-2 punch of Andromeda followed by Busted and Blue is sheer perfection.

Busted and Blue is the comedown from the escapist, dreamy tune that is Andromeda.

As if the party has finished and you're the only one still on the dance floor.

NotLiquid

The 1-2 punch of Andromeda followed by Busted and Blue is sheer perfection.

Busted and Blue is the comedown from the escapist, dreamy tune that is Andromeda.

As if the party has finished and you're the only one still on the dance floor.

I remember reading a theory that the album essentially takes place in a huge penthouse where the world's biggest party is going on, and the listener, as well as the "Gorillaz" band are inside the elevator slowly going upward through the many floors, occasionally taking the time out to partake in the festivities. The album even starts off with "Ascension" - it's not an album that moves forward as much as it moves upward. Everything seems alright on the first half of the album as the newcomers to the party are embracing the fun madness of it. Charger is when things get wild and uncontrollable but in the moment it's still thrilling for most people. Then Andromeda / Busted and Blue is a moment of self reflection, with the latter being as if you're taking the time out on the balcony actually reflecting on the fucked up state of the world outside the penthouse while everyone is partying behind you. You kinda realize why people entered it in the first place.

Then the second half begins, you go further up and realize the party is more depraved than initially assumed. Carnival is like experiencing a bad trip at the party. Let Me Out is like an acknowledgment that it's all just a distraction. Sex Murder Party / She's My Collar is when it gets increasingly obvious that the toxicity of the outside world has swept into the party and when it becomes a destructive outlet. Hallelujah Money / We Got The Power is like reaching the top of the penthouse where everything's gotten quiet and we come to a sort of realization about ourselves.

Much like the album name and cover suggests it's just one huge vehicle of the mentality of people. Musically it kind of realizes all those surreal drawings Hewlett has drawn of the band with zombie-like people and aesthetics since the album is almost like a take on the "it's all a simulation to keep you suppressed" trope, except instead of being a simulation it's just a party - hence the intro also makes a lot more sense ("I switched my robot off" - robot = slave, the listener is entering the party and is above the indulgence). When I take the album like that I begin enjoying the flow much more.

I remember reading a theory that the album essentially takes place in a huge penthouse where the world's biggest party is going on, and the listener, as well as the "Gorillaz" band are inside the elevator slowly going upward through the many floors, occasionally taking the time out to partake in the festivities. The album even starts off with "Ascension" - it's not an album that moves forward as much as it moves upward. Everything seems alright on the first half of the album as the newcomers to the party are embracing the fun madness of it. Charger is when things get wild and uncontrollable but in the moment it's still thrilling for most people. Then Andromeda / Busted and Blue is a moment of self reflection, with the latter being as if you're taking the time out on the balcony actually reflecting on the fucked up state of the world outside the penthouse while everyone is partying behind you. You kinda realize why people entered it in the first place.

Then the second half begins, you go further up and realize the party is more depraved than initially assumed. Carnival is like experiencing a bad trip at the party. Let Me Out is like an acknowledgment that it's all just a distraction. Sex Murder Party / She's My Collar is when it gets increasingly obvious that the toxicity of the outside world has swept into the party and when it becomes a destructive outlet. Hallelujah Money / We Got The Power is like reaching the top of the penthouse where everything's gotten quiet and we come to a sort of realization about ourselves.

Much like the album name and cover suggests it's just one huge vehicle of the mentality of people. Musically it kind of realizes all those surreal drawings Hewlett has drawn of the band with zombie-like people and aesthetics since the album is almost like a take on the "it's all a simulation to keep you suppressed" trope, except instead of being a simulation it's just a party. When I take the album like that I begin enjoying the flow much more.
I really like that idea

Realeza

Banned
Album fully clicked after 4 complete spins. In short, is awesome.

The progression between songs is great. Take Charger -> Andromeda -> Busted and Blue. Or Hallelujah Money -> We Got The Power.

There's many highlights:

- Andromeda is classic Gorillaz
- Submission is a banger
- Busted and Blue is surreal and very atmospheric
- We Got The Power is a perfect ending to the album (at least the standard version)
- 2D parts are always good
- The album has a cohesive feel, flowing smoothly between songs. The theme (party for the end of the world) is well executed. I can imagine all these songs being played inside the haunted house from the Saturn Barz video.

Complains about this being safe, or lacking cohesiveness, or too "pop" are mystifying. To those people, music can't be reviewed based on one listen lmao.

NotLiquid

With the previous analysis in mind let's see if I can't make sense of some of these interludes.

I Switched My Robot Off - mentioned as much earlier, but in the context of the album as a whole and the way it's read, robot is obviously meant to refer to the part of a person who isn't cognizant, and as such they're less likely to retain any substantial value in the fictional "party". It instantly establishes us as the figurative humans in the ongoing madness.

The Non-Conformist Oath - this is more of a pisstake and ironic joke more than anything I believe, especially the way it's placed right before Submission, a track which pretty much in the title confirms it's about "submitting" to someone, or in a way, conforming to them. One way to read into it is the audience of the party convincing themselves they're above everyone. It's also the only interlude that Ben Mendelsohn isn't narrating, so at this point we're essentially on the outside looking in.

Elevator Going Up - the least telling interlude of all, almost completely useless, but reaffirms that the narrative of the album does take place inside an elevator. Interestingly, it's the last interlude before the album essentially "exits" it's deluded observational high and mellows out with the introspective Andromeda / Busted and Blue, where 2-D takes center stage.

Talk Radio - if I'd have to guess I think this interlude and the last one kind of establishes Ben Mendelsohn's character as the elevator attendant of the party who is going up with you. Much like you he's "switched his robot off" but he's simultaneously the antithesis of the attendees, as rather than partaking in the situation he's apathetic enough to enable it. He passively comments on the events to you as someone equally cognizant, and recognizes after your brief moment of respite that you don't have to keep ascending the penthouse if you don't want to. He is, after all, doing only what the people want him to do.

Penthouse - much like EGU, establishes the location of the album, but also an acknowledgment before the chaos of Sex Murder Party / She's My Collar that nothing could stop this party from happening, and that nothing could stop it from going wrong.

The Elephant - the most "on the nose" interlude if any. The most obvious way to read into it is the Elephant as the symbol of the Republican Party, celebrating it's victory, though it could also be viewed as a double entendre for the attendance of this party that's going on in the album. Perhaps it views of it's attendants as an elephant, a powerful force that can be deceptively sympathetic. But in this case the good nature of the party has gone haywire and gotten sent into an uncontrollable stampede, and the quaintness of it being that instead of spouting water, a source of sustenance, it's confetti - indulgent but useless.

New World - the disorientating tune and the incoherent rambling of the narrator suggests something of a disturbance in order, like an after party (or in a more quaint reading, an after life). I'd say at this point even the attendant is out of his element and there's a pushback to the perpetual insanity of the party. Perhaps at this point he has no purpose, indicating that the party is over.

FWIW I recognize I probably read too much into this shit and I'm just doing this for shits and giggles.

mjc

It's really interesting to see reactions to the album go from strong distaste to people loving it when they get into it.

I think that's been the way people have looked at stuff from the Gorillaz post Demon Days, it takes longer to absorb it. Definitely agree. I'm not *huge* on this album after a couple listens, but it could grow on me. I even liked parts of Plastic Beach when a lot of people probably thought it was trash.

Really glad to see others start to pick it up and enjoy it after a few more spins!
I think that's been the way people have looked at stuff from the Gorillaz post Demon Days, it takes longer to absorb it. Definitely agree. I'm not *huge* on this album after a couple listens, but it could grow on me. I even liked parts of Plastic Beach when a lot of people probably thought it was trash.
Yeah there was a lot of PB I didn't like that I only started to appreciate later on.

Realeza

Banned
Top 5 at the moment:

- Andromeda
- Submission
- Let Me Out
- Busted and Blue (those vocals are hauntingly beautiful)
- Saturn Barz

NotLiquid

In no particular order, my Top 5 right now is

- Strobelite
- Momentz
- Charger
- Busted and Blue
- She's My Collar

Out of Body as a sixth honorable mention.

I love Andromeda and Saturnz Barz but I've already played them so much in the lead up to the album.

overcast

Submission to Charger is particularly excellent. Just carries the energy.

I do feel like those saying there isn't "that one song" are incorrect because I think Andromeda/Saturn Barz stick out and stay in your mind.

Appleman

Really really digging this on day 2. Momentz isn't clicking for me at all though, and feels like a total clunker.

I'll save my opinions for down the line, took me AGES to come around on Sweepstakes last time

Realeza

Banned
Really really digging this on day 2. Momentz isn't clicking for me at all though, and feels like a total clunker.

I'll save my opinions for down the line, took me AGES to come around on Sweepstakes last time

Momentz clicked for me on the 4th listen. I think is a lot of fun now.

Okay, sure. Having a theme doesn't really mean anything though, that's not a quality judgment.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
You said the album sounds like a party playlist
I'm saying that's the intention as it's part of the theme of the album, it's a party and thus the music reflects that in the same way that Plastic Beach's theme reflects in its music. You're now arguing...What?

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
when you haven't found a song in the album that is your jam

vyHV18w.png

When 'Out of Body' begins

LwjhjmI.gif

When that beat starts playing on your car's soundsystem

KKEhjj3.gif
This was my first listen, the album is growing on me on repeat listens, but Out of Body kicked my ass right from the start.

Quite like this album. I don't think it's as good as demon days or plastic beach though on an initial listen but the sound of the whole thing still clicked with me. I agree with the earlier reviews though that there's not many hooks to these tracks to grab you in.

Track 3 sounds like g-funk era hip hop which is awesome

Gotta say though Momentz is just a total clunker. Ill give it another shot but right now I get the feeling I don't ever wanna hear it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom