• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

The only thing that brings Carnival down is that it's too friggin' short

Add a third chorus into that bitch. Add a bridge with some 2-D vocals. It'd be so easy.

The instrumentation is some classic, dark G-funk shit, I love it.

DarkKyo

Sex murder party is what happens when angels sing, and have a party with murder and sex.

I'll fight you mate.

It's not terrible but it doesn't do much for me. The chorus especially feels really "droney" to me, to the point where it can get annoying. It's the only track I entertain skipping here and there.

NotLiquid

Strobelite without the lyrics sounds like some music from an old Sonic game and I can't tell if that's a positive thing or not lol

It's alright, but yeah.

It's a good thing in my opinion

Not enough musicians explore that synthetic 90s style disco groove, lest of all the Sonic games themselves

Wiped89

Long time Gorillaz fan, finally ready to post some impressions.

Love the album, as a whole. But it is pretty embarrassing that the best song on the album isn't even on the actual album (The Apprentice, man this song is good!).

Also, I'm with the poster before, Submission is an amazing song RUINED by whoever Danny Brown is. I was loving it and then he burst in and I was like "oh great, just what the album needs, more rapping" and then I realised with that laughable verse that he isn't rapping. He's just making awful noises.

I love Busted and Blue too, and Charger. Of course, all the singles like Andromeda, Let me Out and Saturn Barz and We Got The Power are great. Andromeda and Busted And Blue are already two of my favourite Gorillaz songs. And Momentz, damn, what a catchy little song.

Also: I don't really get the point of Carnival. It's 2 minutes long and doesn't really do anything. Might as well be an interlude.

And Sex Murder Party is trash tier.

Edit: I forgot She's My Collar! One of the best songs on the whole album.

Love the album, as a whole. But it is pretty embarrassing that the best song on the album isn't even on the actual album (The Apprentice, man this song is good!).

Also, I'm with the poster before, Submission is an amazing song RUINED by whoever Danny Brown is. I was loving it and then he burst in and I was like "oh great, just what the album needs, more rapping" and then I realised with that laughable verse that he isn't rapping. He's just making awful noises.

I love Busted and Blue too, and Charger. Of course, all the singles like Andromeda, Let me Out and Saturn Barcelona and We Got The Power are great. Andromeda and Busted And Blue are already two of my favourite Gorillaz songs. And Momentz, damn, what a catchy little song.

Also: I don't really get the point of Carnival. It's 2 minutes long and doesn't really do anything. Might as well be an interlude.

giphy.gif

Another one?

Edit: To be perfectly honest, I can see people being put off if they've never heard him before, but that's still my favorite track by far

hughesta

Banned
Submission is an amazing song RUINED by whoever Danny Brown is. I was loving it and then he burst in and I was like "oh great, just what the album needs, more rapping" and then I realised with that laughable verse that he isn't rapping. He's just making awful noises.
oh come on

Wiped89

lmao i think gorillaz may be the wrong band for you, my friend.

Don't get me wrong, I like rap. Plastic Beach is my favourite Gorillaz album and my favourite song is White Flag. Just felt, in that moment, that the album is a touch rap heavy.

As I said I do really like the album as a whole.

Edit: To the guy above, my favourite Albarn album outside of Gorillaz is Everyday Robots. It's a little laid back but definitely very good.

hughesta

Banned
What is some must listen Damon Albarn material outside of Gorillaz?
Blur albums 13 and Think Tank are incredible, TT is especially meaningful for Gorillaz fans, a perfect stopgap between Gorillaz' S/T and Demon Days. would also recommend Democrazy, The Good The Bad & The Queen, and probably Bur's The Magic Whip as well.

Blur (self titled is my favorite, but Think Tank is closest to Gorillaz. The Magic Whip and 13 are also really good, the enjoyment you get out of the other albums is contingent upon how much you can stomach britpop), The Good the Bad and the Queen (produced by Danger Mouse who also produced Demon Days), and his recent-ish solo album Everyday Robots.

I wasn't crazy about Brown when we only had the short clip of submission some weeks ago.

But in the full song he works really well. Song is way too chill without him there, needed something to pump you up

I love Busted and Blue too, and Charger. Of course, all the singles like Andromeda, Let me Out and Saturn Barz and We Got The Power are great. Andromeda and Busted And Blue are already two of my favourite Gorillaz songs. And Momentz, damn, what a catchy little song.

What...? It sounds like a Bowie/Prince Gorillaz collab. It's amazing!

Ticker Tape may be my favorite. When 2D just BUSTS in at the end...I bust as well. It's so melancholic but then BLAM. Get's me hyped. I find it awesome that some traces of the Charger guitar riff can be heard in Submission.

NotLiquid

Some elements of Parklife remind me of self-titled. I remember years ago pasting Trouble In The Message Center over the Tomorrow Comes Today music video. It worked pretty well.

Gorillaz

Yall can shit talk other songs but nah not submission. I'm not going to sit here and hear this slander.

The only bad thing about it is it's too short. It's still my favorite.

It's really interesting the amount of people who are hating the album because there's rap on it... Really makes you wonder... Really makes you wonder...

After a few days, I find myself continually hitting repeat on We Got the Power. I love a lot of tracks, but this one is so full of energy I love it.

aBarreras

great, now i have to listen to plastic beach haha

what i find curious is that the only album i cant really go back is the Self-titled one, i like it very fucking much, but i dont know, demon days and plastic beach and now humanz are so, i dont know better as an ALBUM than self titled.

love them all tho

Wiped89

There is a difference between 'not liking rap' and thinking there is a little bit too much rap on the album in terms of its balance. There is more here than on PB, DD or S/T.

Putting The Apprentice and Ticker Tape on the main disc and dropping Saturn Barz onto the bonus disc would have helped the balance a lot IMO.

Also Pirate Jet is a great song.

hughesta

Banned
there's something about S/T's vibe that draws me in more than any other Gorillaz album. It's this dark, underground vibe and it's just strange and simultaneously unpleasant and comforting. still my favorite album from Damon.

edit: SKON and To Binge being the closing track would be absolute madness. Two of my favorite songs on PB but they don't work nearly as well as Pirate Jet as an endpoint.

Imagine not appreciating Danny Brown in 2017.

Just imagine.

I wasn't crazy about Brown when we only had the short clip of submission some weeks ago.

But in the full song he works really well. Song is way too chill without him there, needed something to pump you up

Yall can shit talk other songs but nah not submission. I'm not going to sit here and hear this slander.

The only bad thing about it is it's too short. It's still my favorite.

"Submission" should be re-named "Nose Dive." Can't defend it guys. Just because he's Danny Brown doesn't mean he can't ruin a track with his style. I don't see what you're not understanding. Has his previous work been so fantastic that he doesn't sound like shit? Rose colored earbuds.

Anywho... Update: The Apprentice is so good that it shouldn't have been stuck on the Deluxe edition. Talk Radio skit is hilarious. Listen to it every time.

Gorillaz

there's something about S/T's vibe that draws me in more than any other Gorillaz album. It's this dark, underground vibe and it's just strange and simultaneously unpleasant and comforting. still my favorite album from Damon.

edit: SKON and To Binge being the closing track would be absolute madness. Two of my favorite songs on PB but they don't work nearly as well as Pirate Jet as an endpoint.
I just hate pirate jet and went to look at my spotify download and saw to binge on my list.

aBarreras

"Submission" should be re-named "Nose Dive." Can't defend it guys. Just because he's Danny Brown doesn't mean he can't ruin a track with his style.

Anywho... Update: The Apprentice is so good that it shouldn't have been stuck on the Deluxe edition. Talk Radio skit is hilarious. Listen to it every time.

no idea who this danny brown is, but meh, it doesnt botter me at all, it remembers me of dirty harry for some reason

Ambient80

Man, I gotta be honest, I'm just not digging this album at all. Like, some of the songs just actively annoy me when I hear them (Momentz, Charger, and a few others) . It's weird. Strobelight is interesting, but that's the only one I really enjoy. Andromeda is ok too I guess. Was a HUGE fan of DD. This one just isn't doing it for me. Glad others are enjoying though.

Ecto311

Also, I'm with the poster before, Submission is an amazing song RUINED by whoever Danny Brown is. I was loving it and then he burst in and I was like "oh great, just what the album needs, more rapping" and then I realized with that laughable verse that he isn't rapping. He's just making awful noises.

I love Busted and Blue too, and Charger. Of course, all the singles like Andromeda, Let me Out and Saturn Barz and We Got The Power are great. Andromeda and Busted And Blue are already two of my favorite Gorillaz songs. And Momentz, damn, what a catchy little song.

Agree with all this 100% especially that shit Danny Brown is speaking. He sucks. His style and his spot on RTJ3 was complete dogshit also.

Carnival has grown on me a lot, but it really needed a better ending. Apparently they played it live and it was longer and had Damon come on at the end. Would have been way better than just cutting it off randomly at 2 min.

Halfway to the Halfway House is a great song. That and Out of Body are the best of the bonus tracks imo (and the New World interlude is so great. I love how creepy it is, and the synths sound super cool).

My takes on all the controversial Plastic Beach tracks:

Glitter freeze should not be as long as it is, and the alternate version that's out there is 100x better.

Sweepstakes is fantastic. I love how Mos Def keeps alternating flow and tempo as they layer on spooky effects, and then the brass coming on is awesome.

White Flag took me a long time to like, but the mixture of the symphony, the whacky beat, and Kano and Bashy trading verses won me over.

Pirate Jet is alright, it fits the album thematically, and is a decent little song. But Cloud of Unknowing is a much better song and would have been a more enigmatic and memorable album closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom