• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

The worst thing you can say about Danny's appearance on the song is he reiterates the same flow he had on RTJ3.

But the verse itself was great I thought.

I really need to get around to listening to the rest of the album at some point. I've just kept hitting replay on Saturnz Barz ever since it downloaded...

Ash735

In all honesty this album seems set up for block listening, I really like how...

- Interlude: The Non-Conformist Oath
- Submission
- Charger

Flow into each other as one big track, from the pumped up intro for "Submission" looping before the end of the Oath as the laughter leads into "Submission" and then as the Guitar cranks subtly appear through "Submission" (Mid way point and just after Danny's verse) and the at the end as it drops right into "Charger".

You can hear something similar in "Interlude: New World" ending and the start of "The Apprentice".

Just to drop in as well, it goes to show how divisive older Gorillaz albums too, I've seen people in this thread slate tracks like "Glitter Freeze" and "Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head" when they were some of my fave tracks from the older albums!

Lijik

Danny's verse is one of the best parts of the album wtf
seriously! when i heard the bit that leaked it quickly became one of my most anticiapated tracks on the album.

submission and momentz are my favorites, but i honestly cant say i dislike a song on the album. its gotten heavy play from me all weekend

I can't choose a favorite right now, but holy fuck Strobelight & Submission.

Also don't understand the hate for Momentz, it might be the best song on the album but not my favorite so far.

their performance on Colbert from thursday night seems to have been deleted from CBS's website and youtube. Is there anywhere I can still see it? wonder why they'd delete it like that.

Momentz is awesome. Charger, Strobelite, The apprentice and Out of Body too(even though the bass gives me a headache).

But Submission? Fucking awful. Starts out strong before Danny Brown turns it into a joke. I laugh and click Next. Kelela must of hated sharing that track with him. It could have been a single.

wz5SLQ2.gif

I dig the album a lot, having finally gave it a good full listen today. It certainly finds its own place, much like every other Gorillaz album, but very much is a Gorillaz album

However, it still feels uneven compared to Demon Days/Plastic Beach. Some songs just don't click, but the highs of the album are so goddamn good I can overlook the few duds

My only worry is this your coming up is just gonna be a runthrough of the album, where I'm hoping for a more Plastic Beach approach where they hit the whole discorgeaphy with a focus on Humanz

I dig the album a lot, having finally gave it a good full listen today. It certainly finds its own place, much like every other Gorillaz album, but very much is a Gorillaz album

However, it still feels uneven compared to Demon Days/Plastic Beach. Some songs just don't click, but the highs of the album are so goddamn good I can overlook the few duds

My only worry is this your coming up is just gonna be a runthrough of the album, where I'm hoping for a more Plastic Beach approach where they hit the whole discorgeaphy with a focus on Humanz

I really hope they don't try to play through the entirety of it for an entire tour, pre-recorded features don't make for a good live show, and the relative lack of Damon on it means the vast majority of their live show would just be that.

dh4niel

Had a good listen to the album yesterday it's a typical Gorillaz album really. A few bangers but the rest is just middle of the road drek that never goes anywhere.

their performance on Colbert from thursday night seems to have been deleted from CBS's website and youtube. Is there anywhere I can still see it? wonder why they'd delete it like that.

A friend of mine attended the Friday show (Tom Hanks) which films on Thursday as well. He said Gorillaz did a mini concert with a few songs. I wonder where all of that footage went.

Tesser

Gotta say, Momentz has grown on me quite a lot and it may actually be one of my favourites off the album. Felt it was rather simplistic and bare at first but I suppose that's part of the point - the way it steadily builds.

And of course, when the beat drops for the first time, it's the...

biDFHU0.gif

...MOMENTZ!

RaidenZR

Listened to this album a few times through this weekend, and just wanted to say I love "She's My Collar". Needed to voice my support!

Think Ticker Tape may be the Every Planet we Reach is Dead of the album.

my. god. bon' appetit!!!

Waiting for the world....to start....again....
Waiting for the world.............again

*drop*

tenor.gif

Also. If anyone does have that Andromeda with DRAM chorus link it would be greatly appreciated.

So if I've never heard anything from Danny Brown expect for his one verse on this album, what of his work should I track down?

EDIT: Oh, wait. I've heard him on RTJ3, too.

Melodically, censoring out Obama and Trump's names in "Let me out" was a fantastic decision.
The train noises make it far more interesting of a song.

So if I've never heard anything from Danny Brown expect for his one verse on this album, what of his work should I track down?

EDIT: Oh, wait. I've heard him on RTJ3, too.

His new album, Atrocity Exhibition is his best imo. XXX is really good too. Old isn't as good, but there are more party banger type songs on it.

Call me crazy but I feel she's my collar would be a better single/song to make the next video for. It's not as divisive as momentz and it has a damn fantastic beat.

Valkrai

I finally warmed up to Momentz. Took 15 or so listens but I love it now. I'm still not feeling Sex Murder Party or the bonus songs (except for The Apprentice)

NotLiquid

Call me crazy but I feel she's my collar would be a better single/song to make the next video for. It's not as divisive as momentz and it has a damn fantastic beat.

Like I said earlier, the song structurally and melodically has a lot more common with Feel Good Inc than virtually any other Gorillaz song released since then so it's great single material, arguably much better than Rhinestone Eyes.

My one question is whether it's "poppy" enough to market right after the album's release. Gorillaz's most popular tracks tend to be the ones that have a prominent feature to anchor it (Stylo, Clint Eastwood and Feel Good Inc. all fit this quota), so it's no surprise that they went with Saturnz Barz first. Usually the "Damon" focused tracks tend to be the very last ones to receive a single/music video release (Tomorrow Comes Today, El Mañana, On Melancholy Hill/Rhinestone Eyes).

I could see She's My Collar get a single/music video release eventually, but wouldn't be surprised if it's after whatever they go with next.

I wonder why Momentz is so divisive.

It's a really, really quirky song. It's not particularly driven by melody. The vocals are mostly a vehicle for the beat to drive.

In that essence it's pretty much like Sweepstakes.

BearPawB

Banned
i love love love the first half of momentz.
but the kool klown klan stuff is stupid
and the screaming is really really loud

Valkrai

Woah woah it's an insult to compare Moment to Sweepstakes. Sweepstakes is outright awful even with multiple listens

Haruko

I like Momentz, but I want to know why the 2nd occurrence of the word in the chorus isn't shouted like the rest. D:

After a few listens of the entire album, I'm pleased to find that there aren't any tracks that I feel compelled to skip. I sometimes start in different places if I want to hear something specific, but there's nothing I feel like always skipping. Felt similarly with Demon Days.

Gorillaz

Sweepstakes is trash. So is Glitter Freeze (the remixed verison saved it) and pirate jet.

I still have to pick and choose which parts of plastic beach I want to listen too. Humanz I can take altogether.

Humanz is the only Gorillaz album I'd actually listen to back to front. Dont like the last two tracks on Demon Days, ST doesn't feel cohesive to me, while i like every song on PB its not entirely cohesive either.

I think it's a great album but carnival is

Straight up

Poopy

I can't. I have to skip it everytime. This is the sweepstakes of this album. Should have put out of body instead of this

DarkKyo

I think it's a great album but carnival is

Straight up

Poopy

I can't. I have to skip it everytime. This is the sweepstakes of this album. Should have put out of body instead of this

Seriously?! That's definitely just one person's opinion, I love Carnival! It's so dark and evocative. It's definitely not the Sweepstakes of this album because it's an intelligible song with a clear rhythm lol. Also not many people dislike Carnival so it's not like Sweepstakes in that regard either. The one I'm not too big on is Sex Murder Party, but I'm not about to compare it to Sweepstakes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom