• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.
but both of those songs are awesome. if there are stinkers on PB (and there are) it's Glitter Freeze and White Flag
Fight me, both those tracks are great.
"Submission" should be re-named "Nose Dive." Can't defend it guys. Just because he's Danny Brown doesn't mean he can't ruin a track with his style. I don't see what you're not understanding. Has his previous work been so fantastic that he doesn't sound like shit? Rose colored earbuds.
Atrocity Exhibition was one of the best albums of last year.

XXX is a fantastic rap album that needs more love.

And his voice is one of those love it or hate it things, but if you do hate it, you risk missing out on a fantastic discography that can only go up from here.

Fjordson

I remember being pretty disappointed in Glitter Freeze. The Fall is one of my favourite bands ever so I was psyched to see Mark E. Smith on the tracklist. But the end result was just meh.

The alternate version floating around is definitely a big improvement, though.

"Submission" should be re-named "Nose Dive." Can't defend it guys. Just because he's Danny Brown doesn't mean he can't ruin a track with his style. I don't see what you're not understanding. Has his previous work been so fantastic that he doesn't sound like shit? Rose colored earbuds.

Anywho... Update: The Apprentice is so good that it shouldn't have been stuck on the Deluxe edition. Talk Radio skit is hilarious. Listen to it every time.

Edit: Beaten, right down to the letter lol.

Long time Gorillaz fan, finally ready to post some impressions.

Love the album, as a whole. But it is pretty embarrassing that the best song on the album isn't even on the actual album (The Apprentice, man this song is good!).

Also, I'm with the poster before, Submission is an amazing song RUINED by whoever Danny Brown is. I was loving it and then he burst in and I was like "oh great, just what the album needs, more rapping" and then I realised with that laughable verse that he isn't rapping. He's just making awful noises.

I love Busted and Blue too, and Charger. Of course, all the singles like Andromeda, Let me Out and Saturn Barz and We Got The Power are great. Andromeda and Busted And Blue are already two of my favourite Gorillaz songs. And Momentz, damn, what a catchy little song.

Also: I don't really get the point of Carnival. It's 2 minutes long and doesn't really do anything. Might as well be an interlude.

And Sex Murder Party is trash tier.

Edit: I forgot She's My Collar! One of the best songs on the whole album.

It's kinda clear who doesn't really listen to a lot of music in these threads, lol

And his voice is one of those love it or hate it things, but if you do hate it, you risk missing out on a fantastic discography that can only go up from here.

Edit: Beaten, right down to the letter lol.

It totally makes sense. My original issue with the song is that he doesn't fit. To me it's like taking Empire Ants and putting Lil Jon on it. Nails on a chalkboard.

Not sure what it says about Gorillaz that there's such a massive disparity in opinions about each album. I suspect it's largely due to the melding of Blur fans, as well as folks that became fans with each album.

I've been a huge fan of Damon since Blur's heyday, but these days, I'm happy to see him used sparingly throughout the album in favor of a bunch of cool folks I've never heard of, but my 12 year old can tell me all about them. BTW, he loves the album, and we're going to the Seattle show in September for his first-ever concert.

Personally, I love Humanz, and would put it second only to Demon Days. Also, Sweepstakes is indeed the best track on Plastic Beach. Also also, The Fall is awful, and should never be spoken of again.

Fjordson

Not sure what it says about Gorillaz that there's such a massive disparity in opinions about each album. I suspect it's largely due to the melding of Blur fans, as well as folks that became fans with each album.
I think it's just the wide range of genres and guests that the last few albums have included. Some people won't be into everything or everyone Damon brings into the fold (see the above Danny Brown discussion).

Building off your point, did people here like Everyday Robots or The Good, The Bad, and the Queen? Sort of curious where folks fall on those. I thought they were both solid.

Building off your point, did people here like Everyday Robots or The Good, The Bad, and the Queen? Sort of curious where folks fall on those. I thought they were both solid.
I thought they were fine, but not as good as Blur, and definitely not as good as anything from Gorillaz, except for garbage-tier The Fall.

Gorillaz

Revolving doors was legitamely good from The Fall.

The rest sit in the trash

Edit:Cali and the sliping sun is kinda ok along with jasprn forest

Goldboy

I love Danny Brown but agree with people saying that he doesn't fit on Submission at all. Which is a shame, since I was really looking forward to hearing how he'd sound on a Gorillaz album.

Pizza

Shit this is my favorite gorillaz album. It's fucking nuts.

I love how all the albums flow and tell a story, isn't there a miniseries coming out? Im going to lose my mind because wtf is happening here in a literal sense

The only songs I skip are the slow ones, because I don't want to necessarily listen to that while driving or gaming. I still love em though, they're super good. Ticker tape is lit and I love busted and blue too. Busted gives me Pink Floyd vibes for some reason

Also I haven't seen it mentioned much (haven't looked hard at all though) but Andromeda has We Are a Happy Landfill's drum sample with one tiny tweak I think

Shit this is my favorite gorillaz album. It's fucking nuts.

I love how all the albums flow and tell a story, isn't there a miniseries coming out? Im going to lose my mind because wtf is happening here in a literal sense

The only songs I skip are the slow ones, because I don't want to necessarily listen to that while driving or gaming. I still love em though, they're super good. Ticker tape is lit and I love busted and blue too. Busted gives me Pink Floyd vibes for some reason

Also I haven't seen it mentioned much (haven't looked hard at all though) but Andromeda has We Are a Happy Landfill's drum sample with one tiny tweak I think
10 episodes

Pizza

10 episodes

That's the coolest thing on earth. I loved the animations for the last three albums! I hope they eventually go back and finish the big fight on plastic beach.

I loved the whole Murdoc running a pirate radio station from trash island and inviting a ton of artists thing, so I have really high hopes for a completely fleshed out take on the gorillaz no matter what it is

no idea who Danny Brown is, but i think his voice is perfect for a gorillaz song. it's goofy, quick and makes an impression

and man, even the interludes are banging, especially New World

KeRaSh

no idea who Danny Brown is, but i think his voice is perfect for a gorillaz song. it's goofy, quick and makes an impression

and man, even the interludes are banging, especially New World

Yeah, didn't know who Danny Brown was before listening to Submission but his style reminds me of a goofier version of Outkast. I love it! Will have to listen to his own work now. :D

Momentz is finally starting to grow on me. I still think the beat is a little too raw at the beginning but by the end of the song, all parts come together perfectly.
Out of Body is such a weird track but I like it. Kilo Kish has an incredibly cute voice!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The more I listen, the more I love the whole album. It's really clicking for me on the level that Demon Days did, and which Plastic Beach just couldn't quite manage.

Loved The Good, The Bad, and the Queen's debut, been waiting a decade for that promised second album. Everyday Robots was fine and perfectly enjoyable, but not real memorable.

EVO

I love Danny Brown but dude is severely hit or miss on guest features.

Yep, didn't like him on Badbadnotgood's album, didn't like him on Frankie Sinatra and I don't like him on this. Dude should've been on Momentz or something else instead.

I love Danny Brown but dude is severely hit or miss on guest features.

I like him on this song, but yeah. First time I heard him was on El-Ps Cancer 4 Cure like 5 years ago, and I completely hated his verse. Then I kept hearing praise for his album Old that came out that year, decided to give it a listen, and dude became one of my favorite artists.

NotLiquid

C-z-J3YW0AEfBoh.jpg:large

Pre-sale tomorrow. For UK you have to buy the album from the Gorillaz website to access it, EU just has to sign up for it.

I really hope I get into the presale cause I'm gonna be on a flight when the public sales go live. I hope this will be the first time I can ever see them live.

zoukka

I realize Gorillaz has always been about the "now", but my ears just can't enjoy some of the songs when the "singers" are so bad. In the previous albums the raps have been amazing (with legends like Del and De La Soul) and singing on point. This time you have these autotuner hacks and people who cannot either rap or sing (like the vocalist in Ascension).

I realize Gorillaz has always been about the "now", but my ears just can't enjoy some of the songs when the "singers" are so bad. In the previous albums the raps have been amazing (with legends like Del and De La Soul) and singing on point. This time you have these autotuner hacks and people who cannot either rap or sing (like the vocalist in Ascension).

Parody post?

De La Soul is on the album
Not a single dud on this album for me
Same. Love the whole thing now.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
tenor.gif

Blader

I mean, if you hate his voice, then are you really missing out? :lol

I don't really like Danny's voice and I agree with the other post this his verse nearly derails what an otherwise strong track in Submission.

Alpende

Go listen to Summertime 06 right now. Vince can rap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom