• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

I do find it kinda funny how often I see people going "oh man, Gotham, that's the show with the kid joker right? SUPER LAAAAME," and it's just... he's a fantastic Joker.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Calling it now that Jerome doesn't make it to the end of the season. Don't care what anyone says or thinks, they should never fully give us the real Joker at any point in this show. Just keep teasing it forever.

Sölf

Calling it now that Jerome doesn't make it to the end of the season. Don't care what anyone says or thinks, they should never fully give us the real Joker at any point in this show. Just keep teasing it forever.

Yeah. We can have dozends of pseudo Jokers. Heck, why not have Jerome,
Red Hood Kid
and even a third potential one just meet at some point? I would love to see how they would react.

Chariot

At this point I expect Barbara to become the Joker Flashpoint style. Though I rather have her away. After seeing Missy in Doctor Who, Babs is just a weak phony psycho.

hpkomic

Neo Member
So with the Court Of Owls thing being a possible thing on the show, I am thinking Thomas was a former member until he left due to corruption. Does that sound plausible?

He's a regular on Shameless so I wouldn't expect to see him full time on Gotham. Might even just wear out his character if they did anyway.

I basically consider him Joker now anyway, you guys should too.

Yeah, absolutely. I think the Joker was born the moment Jeromes personality flipped during the interview.

Never seen shameless btw, is it good?

I think it would be great if the real Joker is around but isn't a named character. Like, he could be some extra who sees Jerome and Red Hood and Barbara, internalizes their craziness, and then unleashes it when whatever it is happens to him that turns him in Joker happens.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I felt so bad for Monica on that panel. I don't think she said one word the entire time and no one asked her questions.

Mariolee

Does it not feel surreal to anyone else how much they're deviating from the source material? Like, I'm not even offended by it but it just feels so trippy to see Barbara go from housewife to psychopathic murderer for example. It really does make the show feel incredibly unpredictable, and I think I like it?

Penguin

Does it not feel surreal to anyone else how much they're deviating from the source material? Like, I'm not even offended by it but it just feels so trippy to see Barbara go from housewife to psychopathic murderer for example. It really does make the show feel incredibly unpredictable, and I think I like it?

My motto, in my head, is "Gotham leads to nothing."

It doesn't lead to the comics or the movies or the cartoon so they have free reign to do whatever and won't get mad at em for any changes they make

Ishida

Banned
My motto, in my head, is "Gotham leads to nothing."

It doesn't lead to the comics or the movies or the cartoon so they have free reign to do whatever and won't get mad at em for any changes they make

Exactly.

I disagree with the people saying that the Joker should remain "without past" in Gotham. This is an alternate reality. While I like the idea of the Joker remaining "anonymous" in other media like comics, I feel that having a real "origin story" here in Gotham is kind of refreshing. Sure, it won't be the first time (Burton's Joker comes to mind, as other incarnations), but having him as a crazy, murderous child is a welcome change, at least in my opinion.

I REALLY hope the producers keep Jerome as the Joker. I'm still afraid of "there will be many red herring characters on the Joker" thing they stated. This kid is perfect. Keep him.

Mariolee

Exactly.

I disagree with the people saying that the Joker should remain "without past" in Gotham. This is an alternate reality. While I like the idea of the Joker remaining "anonymous" in other media like comics, I feel that having a real "origin story" here in Gotham is kind of refreshing. Sure, it won't be the first time (Burton's Joker comes to mind, as other incarnations), but having him as a crazy, murderous child is a welcome change, at least in my opinion.

I REALLY hope the producers keep Jerome as the Joker. I'm still afraid of "there will be many red herring characters on the Joker" thing they stated. This kid is perfect. Keep him.

That whole red herring thing was probably the plan for at least the first few seasons but I like to think that once they came upon Jerome and his respective actor they realized they wouldn't get another actor that would nail it as much as this and just decided to make Jerome the Joker (and still be able to back out of it later by never really calling him the Joker).

Oddduck

There was a great quote about this from AV Club's review last night.

Gotham feels unpredictable for the time being, which is not something that could be said about any stretch in the first season. Where the first season consistently winked at the viewer and nudged narratives towards everything canon, “Damned If You Do…” seems more focused on establishing Gotham as its own thing, with its own unique voice.

Den of Geek also had some great thoughts as well in their review.

Let me hammer the Gotham Can’t Be Afraid of Canon theme home for you one more time. This past summer, I continued to be wowed by the final episodes of the Hannibal TV series and couldn't help but compare them to Gotham. Hannibal does adaptation so well.

It is inspired by, rather than chained to its source material. Like Gotham, it started out by telling a story that took place largely before the events of its most well-known canon. In that way, these shows both have some wiggle room. Hannibal took that wiggle room and reinvented the canon itself. It simultaneously made the story its own and made the original better by presenting an quasi-alternate backstory for some of its main players. Gotham would do well to do the same. After watching Gotham's season 2 premiere, I am reminded of how much the show has going for it: an excellent cast, high production values, and some great thematic instincts. It’s not too late for it to start putting its own spin on DC lore in some game-changing ways.

Ishida

Banned
That whole red herring thing was probably the plan for at least the first few seasons but I like to think that once they came upon Jerome and his respective actor they realized they wouldn't get another actor that would nail it as much as this and just decided to make Jerome the Joker (and still be able to back out of it later by never really calling him the Joker).

Crossing my fingers!

Sadist

Some scenes were hamming it up... but in a good way. I enjoyed the first episode a lot. I did laugh during the opening; I watched Fear the Walking Dead opening up with "Perfect Day" and Gotham does the same thing. Funny. Btw about hamming it up; I mean it in the best way possible. In the end the city will be crowded with weirdos and well, characters who care somewhat for the theatrical. Gotham seems to embrace that aspect and it's working. Nigma, Penguin, Zasz and even Jerome (Kid Joker) are releasing the crazy and they should let them. It will make the show better. Random observations;

- Another Jim gets demoted thing? Eh.

- Barbara going "insane" is the best thing that ever happened to the character.

- Moar Bullock damnit. I love the guy.

- I love, LOVE Alfred in this series. Every scene he's in is awesome.

Skux

Dealing with Loeb was pretty quick, I thought it'd be some half-season arc to oust him out of power. But nope, a little blackmail was all it took.

That's fine by me though, because Loeb was a "cockblock" for Gordon's character development. Much like Joe West needed to get over Barry being the Flash by episode 2, Gordon needs to be a cop, and needs to have power as a cop for interesting things to happen and for him to be able to deal with them. The new commissioner trusts him already and will support the decisions needed to make the show interesting.

Desean101

Banned
My new Favorite Quotes in this episode

– "I thought it would be a fait accompli." "Don't you speak French at me."

– "I read it in a book." — Bruce, on building fertilizer bombs.

Pachimari

Watched the remaining four episodes and finished up Season 1 tonight. Absolutely loved the season. I don't think the finale were as great as the episode prior to it but I really hope Fish is gone for good. And Dr Dulmacher and his island too.

Watched the premiere of S2 as well and I continue to love this. Barbara is great and reminds me a little of Harley, but I see the show might deviate from the source material which would both be freeing for the show but also disappoint me a little, as I want to see those iconic characters come to life weekly.

Nygma continues to steal the show and I hope he'll turn into the Riddler by seasons end, and Penguin being at the top is all kinds of cool. And that new Galavan girl looks stunning, but weren't she the same girl who infiltrated the Bruce manor in S1?

Two things I dislike though are one, the character of Lee who's a little annoying, but especially Jerome (Joker) rubs me the wrong way. It is as mentioned by someone else, as if he is trying too hard and I generally just gets annoyed when he is on screen. Sometimes he does well but just as many times I get annoyed at his performance.

Anyway, superb start to Season 2.

Here is "The Maniax" trailer

Not sure if next episode or like first half of season 2 trailer (Assume the latter, but you never know)

Looks good

https://youtu.be/qxXJ9lsKMYQ

Barbara and Tabitha....
giphy.gif

also

Thomas Wayne said:
you must choose between the truth and happiness...

lol he's basically guaranteeing Bruce ends up

latest

BTM

Everything about this episode was a massive step up in quality over the beginning of the 1st season. Can't wait to see where this season takes us.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can't get over how much that kid looks like a young Michele Pfeiffer, eerie

Just caught up with the premiere. That was excellent.

- Jim's totally dirty now! WHOA. That was a pretty big deal when he shot the guy... but I found it even more telling that he did not at all really agonize over it after.

- Lol, password is 'Bruce'. Come on, kid. But hey, Bat-Cave is a-go. Alfred and Bruce had some great lines this episode. But it was kinda fucked up how Bruce manipulated Gordon into swallowing his pride especially as we saw what the outcome was. Penguin has dirt on Jim now.

- Crazy Barb is fucking hot. I love Crazy Barb. Crazy Barb is the best.

- Black Mask 1.0 was such a tool, haha. Dumbass death too.

- Jerome is great! I love Jerome. I wanna see manic Jerome and above-it-all snarky Crazy Barb team up and cause chaos.

- I love the relationship between Bullock and Jim. We needed more of that. They had a sweet moment together.

- Ed's fucking just cracked.

- Lol, Loeb is such a goon.

- Proto Suicide Squad! What's the douchebag from True Detective and his sister up to?

So, since Jerome is a minor still, what's the chance that at some point he reforms and his past gets expunged? Then when Bruce comes around as Batman the chemical dip and all that happens. That is if they want to keep him as the actual future Joker.

So, since Jerome is a minor still, what's the chance that at some point he reforms and his past gets expunged? Then when Bruce comes around as Batman the chemical dip and all that happens. That is if they want to keep him as the actual future Joker.

How old is he supposed to be? That idea sounds kind of cool, but I don't want Jerome to be out of the picture any time soon.

Pachimari

I wonder if we will ever see Batman on this show. I have never expected it to be honest and I am fine with this being about Jim and the villains, it is so cool!

This honestly gotta be my favorite superhero show alongside Daredevil and Agents of Shield.

Chariot

I wonder if we will ever see Batman on this show. I have never expected it to be honest and I am fine with this being about Jim and the villains, it is so cool!

This honestly gotta be my favorite superhero show alongside Daredevil and Agents of Shield.
Nah, I think and I hope that Gotham will be per default always pre-Batman.

Top Bottom