• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gpu overheating

Shtef

My friend has a msi gpu 2070 super and he says its overheating, its around 90 degrees when playing games and when idle its 70 degrees. So he bought a new one and will give me his old one.

What would be the best course of action here? To reapply paste, change fans? What else can be done to make it work normally? How can i test it so i know its fine?

Three

My friend has a msi gpu 2070 super and he says its overheating, its around 90 degrees when playing games and when idle its 70 degrees. So he bought a new one and will give me his old one.

What would be the best course of action here? To reapply paste, change fans? What else can be done to make it work normally? How can i test it so i know its fine?
Reapply paste and check fans. Make sure it isn't overclocked or higher voltage.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

A GPU isn't actually overheating until its failsafe lockdown mechanism kicks in. I would first check what temps that GPU is supposed to radiate and then do the things others posted if your own temps differ. If they don't work, you can always via MSI Afterburner set up user fan profiles that allow for more fan activity than default settings. But yeah something is definitely off if a GPU's idle temp is 70 Celsius. But I wouldn't consider the GPU busted or anything until you get blue screens and such.

90 when playing demanding games is not outrageously hot.

I think you've had a right result.

Quixz

I used to have a high temperature issue with a Gigabyte 2070S were the hotspot temp would hit 106c and fans would go nuts above 100%, reapplying the thermal paste dropped the hotspot by 30c and core 20c.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes.

//DEVIL//

So many wrong informations in this thread…

First of all no. a 2070 series shouldn’t get hot to a 90 degrees. Even if it’s an FE card. Max temp for 2000 series is in mid 80s and that’s assuming the card is horrible. Let alone idle at 70. Clearly something isn’t working.

To the OP. Are all fans spinning ? If no that’s your problem, if they are then you need to open it, clean it , apply a good new thermal paste.

If it’s a water cooled card ( I don’t remember a water cooled 2070 but who knows it’s been ages) , then most likely the pump is dead . You need to change it

Last edited:
So many wrong informations in this thread…

First of all no a 2070 series shouldn’t get hot to a 90 degrees. Even if it’s an FE card. Max temp for 2000 series is in mid 80s and that’s assuming the card is horrible. Let alone idle at 70. Clearly something isn’t working.

To the OP. Are all fans spinning ? If no that’s your problem, if they are then you need to open it, clean it , apply a good new thermal paste.

If it’s a water cooled card ( I don’t remember a water cooled 2070 but who knows it’s been ages) , then most likely the pump is dead . You need to change it
90 is not totally beyond the norm, is it?

Yes, it's at the upper level but can it run that hot and still be usable?

I'm not saying it's ideal, or that it something isn't wrong if it continues to reach that temperature - but it won't destroy the card will it?

Last edited:
Quick basic question: when you say 90 and 70 degrees, do you mean fahrenheit or celsius? Because I had a friend complaining that his CPU was overheating and the app for controlling the fans was in US measurements and not EU, so he was seeing ºF and not ºC and the temps are actually normal...

Quick basic question: when you say 90 and 70 degrees, do you mean fahrenheit or celsius? Because I had a friend complaining that his CPU was overheating and the app for controlling the fans was in US measurements and not EU, so he was seeing ºF and not ºC and the temps are actually normal...
it would be good if OP cleared this up but i thought Celsius was always used when it comes to discussing pc hardware regardless of location? to be fair i am in the uk but i don't think i have ever seen the option to view temps in F.

something ain't right. these cards should thermal throttle at about 88C i think. 70C idle is a serious red flag.

and a 2070 S isnt that old. my 2080 never goes over 70-75C and i have it overclocked. at idle it sits about 26-33C depending on ambient temp. depending on where you live even 40C idle isn't unreasonable. for 0 rpm cards it's fine for it to get to about 60C before fans spin up but to get to that point some kind of load has to be put on the card.

put it into your pc and see how it goes. it could be a problem with your friends pc and the card will work normally in yours (maybe). it could be he has a serious overclock on it, shit airflow and/or his pc is infected with something that is using the gpu (a crypto miner or some shit). maybe he used it for some serious work like crypto mining or even folding@home? you should ask him if he's only been playing games on it or doing other stuff. it would be good to know what kind of work it's been doing...

of course make sure you completely remove old drivers and do a clean install of the latest ones for that specific card. leave everything at stock settings

if it's still running that hot then you should give it a proper clean out. you should notice right away if the card is full of dust or if the fans are broken. if it's a 0rpm gpu you will need to put a load on the card or manually run the fans. if it's dusty then clean it out and try again. if that doesn't help then you need to go deeper and pull the card apart to replace thermal paste. while it's open you should inspect the thermal pads. you can replace them at same time as the paste but honestly you really shouldn't need to... and pads are more expensive than a tube of paste. it's up to you if you wanna spend money trying to fix it.

software you should use when monitoring the card is msi afterburner and hwinfo. hwinfo will tell you temps, voltages, power consumption, etc.

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenpachii

Get it out of the case, airpressure dust removal then put it back in the case. Make sure u have good airflow so heat doesn't get stuck in the case.
Heat still a issue, repast could be a solution, but frankly a gpu should never require that to start with.

If warranty before repaste the gpu, u could also opt to send it in. If no warranty. U could run at a more aggressive fan profile, or lower the voltage / minor underclock to solve the problem.

If its a second handed gpu, there could be a big chance he janked the card out of his case aggressively by janking on teh cooler, so things could be bend / damaged or simple not having well contact anymore, repaste would be a good idea. I have seen some people infront of me destroy there PC's by simple forcing there gpu's out of the motherboard socket aggressively. Which not only fuckt there motherboard up but also there GPU.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Might also be a lack of good air flow in the case, might need a few more fans in there. Maybe a few case fans have recently died in his case.

JayK47

I found case airflow to be the biggest contributor to high heat. You almost need to be a mechanical engineer to get good airflow through modern PC cases. You need to pay attention to each fan flow direction and have a plan for airflow path into and out of your case. I needed a full case with 2 huge fans in the front to keep temps down, as well as some underclocking. Also pay attention to the fan settings on the GPU itself. AMD has prioritized quiet fans over cool fans, so their default fan setting are ass.

//DEVIL//

I'm not saying it's ideal, or that it something isn't wrong if it continues to reach that temperature - but it won't destroy the card will it?
You are pretty much killing the GPU. The 90 temp is what you see but it’s actually hotter at junction temp/core temp. Let alone memory temp that he didn’t mention.

In general, even when AMD's newest CPU runs at 95 temps and they claim it’s by design, it’s a horrible and bad design and the horrible bad sales are proof of that.

Any CPU / GPU that you can cook a steak on is a bad product. Let alone the uncomfortable heat of the pc on the table close to you or the horrible loud noise of fans trying to Cool down an oven. Just no lol.

And in general, a 2000 series, even the 2080ti which was the highest end back then, an 85 was maxed for a bad card. A cut-down version in the form of 2070 shouldn’t reach 74 degrees under heavy load

Now if the OP, is talking about temps in F and not C…. Then please find a window OP and jump from it lol ( make sure you are on the ground floor I am joking )

Last edited:

adamosmaki

90c gaming while hot is not out of the norm (not ideal though) . 70C idle though is high so reapply paste clean the dust and you should be ok.

Last edited:
You are pretty much killing the gpu. The 90 temp is what you see but it’s actually hotter at junction temp / core temp. Let alone memory temp that he didn’t mention.

In general, even when AMD newest cpu run at 95 temp and they claim it’s by design, it’s a horrible and bad design and the horrible bad sales are proof of that.

Any cpu / gpu that you can cook a steak on is a bad product . Let alone the uncomfortable heat if the pc on the table close to you or the horrible loud noise of fans trying to to. Cool down an oven. Just no lol.

And in general. A 2000 series even the 2080ti which was the highest back then, a 85 was maxed for a bad card. A cut down version in the form of 2070 shouldn’t reach 74 degrees under heavy load

Now if the OP, is talking about temps in F and not C…. Then please find a window OP and jump from it lol ( make sure you are on the ground floor I am joking )
Hahahaha... exactly, 90c is GPU on fire territory.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hwinfo64 tool to check out much watts it pulled at idle. If it’s 70 C at idle, and low watts (20~30W), then something is up with either fans or paste.

If at idle it’s pulling ~100 to 200W ? Then it might be a bitcoin zombie

Crayon

See the difference between installed w/ the side panel on and then panel off with a big fan on it. Handy to know what it was like before you clean it. Also make sure the fans are spinning. Then clean/paste, and see what it's like w the panel on and off and got from there.

Shtef

Some update, i have installed the GPU in my case and measured the temp, in celsius.

Here is when its idle

4USmmmp.jpg

and under load

mDk1Mly.jpg

Temps look fine to me, but when its under load is extremely loud, like vacuum cleaner.
I was thinking to open it and change paste, but I have seen on internet that there some thermal pads on memory chips, and now I am afraid to open it and damage those thermal pads.

btw this is not MSI card, its Gigabyte 2070 super gaming OC version.

Last edited:
Some update, i have installed the GPU in my case and measured the temp, in celsius.

Here is when its idle

4USmmmp.jpg

and under load

mDk1Mly.jpg

Temps look fine to me, but when its under load is extremely loud, like vacuum cleaner.
I was thinking to open it and change paste, but I have seen on internet that there some thermal pads on memory chips, and now I am afraid to open it and damage those thermal pads.

yeah those temps look perfectly normal!

39C idle without fans spinning is actually good. 84C under load is no cause for concern either. where i am it's cold so my temps are lower. on my previous card (just upgraded today) temps were roughly 30C idle with fans at 41% constantly. i actually ran a bunch of benchmarks yesterday so i could compare against my new card and the max temp i saw under load was 76C. i ran a mix of time spy, port royal, firestrike, heaven, superposition, cyberpunk.

my new GPU is currently running at 30C and the fans aren't spinning at all. i haven't put it under any load yet because i am waiting for my new PSU. i don't want to try gaming on it under i swap the PSU out as i'm not sure it will handle it.

as for sound of the fans....you can try creating a custom fan curve. use MSI Afterburner and adjust the fans to give you a balance between noise and temperatures. if you're running stock settings the fan curve might be aggressive. to set a fan curve one you've install MSI afterburner you can go into settings > fan > enable user define software automatic fan control.

it's also worth still trying to clean out any dust or opening it up to reapply paste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klosshufvud

Here is when its idle

4USmmmp.jpg

and under load

mDk1Mly.jpg

Yeah temps look good. Regarding that noise, are you sure it's not coil whine? I remember that line of cards having issues with coil whine.

Have the exact same GPU.

It was the thermal paste making the problems, replacing it fixed it.
yeah it's worth replacing it if you can.

my old card was a 2080 and i've had it for 4 years yet never felt the need to replace the paste. my card is a founders edition. maybe gigabyte cheaped out on paste or it's an issue with the super cards? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

First off, 90°C under load for mid-high end cards (especially AIB) is pretty normal. I'd clock using afterburner for a perfect or a mild OC to push the threshold and save that profile for gaming alone.

70°C at idle is sketchy. Bad heat dissipation/thermals, dust in the fans, malfunctioning fans/wires not plugged in to the PCB (not spinning), graphic intensive BG workload (check task manager if something is running) among a plethora of reasons.

Here is when its idle

4USmmmp.jpg

and under load

mDk1Mly.jpg

This is normal for your card. You're done here.

About the sound, can you differentiate between a coil whine and the one you're experiencing?

A coil whine is a screeching sound emitted from your GPU's coils which are there as inductors to pass stable/consistent power delivery, all the time, depending upon the task and workload, and when that coil vibrates.

Basically ALL GPU's have coil whine, we just don't hear them out loud because of N number of variables, like atmosphere sound, cases being open, load etc. The short term solution is to undervolt your GPU and cap the FPS either in-game or GPU software. 300+ FPS have the most intolerable coil whine.

What you're describing here maybe (don't quote me on this because YMMV) faulty GPU fans. A friend had this issue, changed them and it was fine. But she never had high temps like in your case. So, check all these variables here to narrow down.

ahtlas7

Had a 2080 at one point, it might have been the hottest running card ever. It would turn my room into a sauna.

nkarafo

Νο. 90 is too high. Just because the card can technically handle it, doesn't matter it's right. You don't want to be so close to the maximum allowed, if you want your card to live a longer life.

70 idle is the first clue that something is not right anyway.

Top Bottom