• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 4 Updated Hands-On - Gamespot

Bizarre. I don't think I'll care for the B-Spec mode. And the photo mode doesn't do much for me either.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/granturismo4/preview_6108426.html

We get hands-on with Gran Turismo 4's newly announced B-Spec mode. New courses revealed inside.

The focus of today's Gran Turismo 4 press conference was the game's newly announced B-Spec mode. Compatible with both the Arcade and Gran Turismo modes of play, the B-Spec option will essentially be an all-new way of playing (or not playing) the game. If you select the B-Spec option ahead of any race, you'll basically be choosing not to drive the car yourself but, instead, to just influence the way that the CPU driver in your seat does its job. You'll view the race from the same camera angles used in replays, and you'll determine how hard your driver pushes by hitting buttons numbered one (cruising) through five (driving on the edge). In addition to those buttons, you'll have the option to hit an overtake button that will see your driver actively trying to improve his position, and a button with a large letter "P" on it, which will have your driver pull into the pits at the next opportunity. Now, you might be thinking that the B-Spec mode is going to require you to do little more than stick your car on number five with the overtaking option highlighted. You'd be wrong.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I'm still dissapointed with the lack of online play not present for now...

Yamauchi shared a few more new details about Gran Turismo 4: the game will feature Dolby Pro-Logic II support, you'll be able to fit no less than 1,000 cars in your garage this time around (as opposed to just 200 in GT3); and an in-game calendar will keep track of all of your significant achievements.

ourumov

This is a message I launch to all the Gt4 fans around: What do you think it's the reason for not keeping online for Dec. release ?

Anyways, the B-spec mode sounds cool and actually like a new way to attract non-racing games fans to the game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I still can't quite get over the 650 cars thing.

ONLY 650? WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR 4 YEARS?????

Edit: ;) ;) ;) ;), etc.

PS2 KID

D2M15 said:
I still can't quite get over the 650 cars thing.

ONLY 650? WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING FOR 4 YEARS?????

It takes them a whole week just to model one car.. Just. one. car. :p They've been working their asses off as you can see.

Edit: The article said it takes a designer about a month per car.

Edit:
Yamauchi cited "challenges" with the European and Japanese online infrastructures as the reason behind the decision--challenges that would presumably have taken until well after the game's targeted December release date to overcome. Polyphony now plans to release an online version of the game (or at least a very similar game) sometime next year.

Bah, screw the Europeans and Japanese. The Americans are ready!!! :D

Should have given the US Online NOW and make the Euros and Nippons pay later for what we get now. Darn.

mr2mike

Banned
holy fuck

561066_20040924_screen009.jpg

561066_20040924_screen007.jpg

561066_20040924_screen006.jpg

Forsete

B-Spec sounds like a fun thing to try. I doubt I'll spend most of my time with it, but still quite fun. :)

Eeek @ the images.

Gek54

It took an average time of one week for one of the many car modelers to construct a good looking model based on the constraints (in GT3). Find out how many car modelers they have working and you can figure how long it took to get all the models done.

shpankey

not an idiot
561066_20040924_screen009.jpg

eek.gif
eek0.gif
eek1.gif
eek2.gif
eek3.gif
eek4.gif
eek5.gif
eek6.gif
eek7.gif
eek8.gif
eek9.gif
eek10.gif

Damn!

link.jpg

eekMonkey.jpg

::tries to tame self and remember it's not going to look anything like that when in normal view (not replay) and with no massive FSAA and AF applied, like in these doctored pics (yes they all do it)::

:(

This is a testament to what amazing FSAA and AF can do for a game. Next generation folks, can hardly wait for next gen when we will have games that can do this kind of filtering and anti-aliasing. It's the thing that really drops jaws IMO.

shpankey

not an idiot
Unfortunately no. These pics are using MASSIVE full screen anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering techniques that are not present in the actual game.

I wish tho, man that would rule.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wyzdom said:
what a clusterfuck of a mode. What's the use/fun?

Eh, what do you think? There are manager games for football and ice-hockey, and there are people who enjoy those kind of games, I'm sure it could work for racing too if done well. I just hope they make it possible to not watch a race, or use a fast forward button or something. I reckon watching CPU cars race could become rather boring after a while, at least the longer races.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This is easily my favourite screen of the bunch:

valley.jpg

I'll be waiting for the online update before purchasing GT4, though. What a shame.
icon5.gif

*thinks of his wallet* :D

segasonic

PS2 KID said:
It takes them a whole week just to model one car.. Just. one. car. :p They've been working their asses off as you can see.

Edit: The article said it takes a designer about a month per car.

Edit:

Bah, screw the Europeans and Japanese. The Americans are ready!!! :D

Should have given the US Online NOW and make the Euros and Nippons pay later for what we get now. Darn.
That's just a bullshit excuse. European and Japanese online infrastructure is just as good as (or even better than) America's.

cobragt3

shpankey said:
Unfortunately no. These pics are using MASSIVE full screen anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering techniques that are not present in the actual game.

What is anisotropic filtering and could you explain why you think it's used in the game?

hgplayer1

the thing I dont get about the B-spec mode is, was there a demand from GT fans for a mode like this or is it just something they pulled out of their asses? photomode and B-spec mode seem to be almost nothing more than demo modes passed off as gameplay.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Goodness gracious, this game....

B-Spec would be a great mode to use for tuning. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to get a handle on the differences made by subtle settings adjustments; watching an AI drive will prove to be helpful, I think.

Solid

shpankey said:

You're hot today. Trolling every GT4 thread :p

gtmax

SUzuka is my favorite track, so this is good news. One of the problems with making games every four years is that all these additions will have been old by the time the game comes out.

Konami's Enthusia already touted the G meter thing before GT4 did. Forza announced that you could potentially control the AI opponents. I'd had rather have the game two years ago with 300 cars instead of waiting for 600 cars and 2 years extra.

With ps3 pushing >>>more polys than ps2, i hear that GT5 will released with 1,000 cars, on the year 2010, or 11.

Forsete

Ah, good to see some things never change.

Segasonic in a PS2 thread.. Hey, Dark is still waiting for your Killzone impressions. :)

hgplayer1 said:
the thing I dont get about the B-spec mode is, was there a demand from GT fans for a mode like this or is it just something they pulled out of their asses? photomode and B-spec mode seem to be almost nothing more than demo modes passed off as gameplay.

I think it's someting to appeal to the casual crowd and car fans. I think those modes are pretty nice, escpeically the photo modes...it's like trying to re-create all that stuff you see in the car mags out there =)

I know my brother would love to spend hours tinkering with the GT4 photo modes (he's a hobby/amateur photographer who does some import car photography).

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
OMFG, I may have to get this game and I can't stand it.

I see pictures of the Mercedes C11. Badass motherfucking car in it's day.

Jean Louisse Schlesser and Michael Schumacher ruled in that thing. Most of the time, right behind them was Maura Baldi and Carl Wendlinger.

Dominated Lemans, can't remember the year.

PS2 KID

B-spec lets you be Frank Williams when you're tired of being Juan Pablo Montoya or vice versa. It's something else to keep you entertained. Like running a race team or being a race driver (or both). Plus if you get tired of being one you can be the other the next race. So more options. :) Adds a bit of strategy to the game.

segasonic

Forsete said:
Ah, good to see some things never change.

Segasonic in a PS2 thread.. Hey, Dark is still waiting for your Killzone impressions. :)
I just got a new beta version of Killzone in the mail. Cool down, it still sucks ass :)

Endless load times, random freezes, average graphics with LOD-popups and framerate stuttering, ......and (in memory of Turok1) shitloads of fog.

gtmax said:
Konami's Enthusia already touted the G meter thing before GT4 did. Forza announced that you could potentially control the AI opponents. I'd had rather have the game two years ago with 300 cars instead of waiting for 600 cars and 2 years extra.

Juiced has that AI stuff right now, although with just 3 "aggressiveness" settings rather than 5. In practice, it's a strange combination of boring and cool.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
surely "b-spec" mode is the great step forward for gran turismo -- takes the last bothersome vestiges of racing out of the game, and lets users focus on looking at shiny cars.

and why wouldn't they try to sell you the online mode separately? thousands of you shills paid ~$40 for a gt4 demo disc.

shpankey

not an idiot
Deepthroat said:
You're hot today. Trolling every GT4 thread :p

You need to learn to read son. I have stated in both threads today I want the game, will be buying it (even both versions). I am in awe of it and have always said so.

Also, why would you say such a thing? He asked a direct question in which I RESPONDED to, I gave him the correct answer. Should I fucking LIE instead? I mean, answering someone's question with the truth is somehow considered trolling now? I mean, only in a fanboys mind obviously.

If you don't understand these pics are using FSAA and AF you are fucking clueless. It's not a knock either as almost all games do it. You really are fucking stupid though.

Forsete

segasonic said:
I just got a new beta version of Killzone in the mail. Cool down, it still sucks ass :)

Endless load times, random freezes, average graphics with LOD-popups and framerate stuttering, ......and (in memory of Turok1) shitloads of fog.

Why did you get it so late? The beta started months ago? :)

random freezes, average graphics with LOD-popups and framerate stuttering

I guess thats why its called a beta.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not the online beta ;)
Online beta, AFAIK, is the only Killzone beta there is (and it started long time ago)

What is anisotropic filtering and could you explain why you think it's used in the game?
It's a method that cleans up textures that are scaled down in the distance. I don't think it has ever been used in a PS2 game, and is the method that works and looks even better than trilinear filtering (which has been used in PS2 games, but not in GT3 nor GT4 Prologue) Anisotropic filtering is extremely rare even on Xbox (frankly, I can't actually name a game that uses it) but it's easily applicable in PC games with decent graphics cards.

cobragt3

Marconelly said:
Online beta, AFAIK, is the only Killzone beta there is (and it started long time ago)

It's a method that cleans up textures that are scaled down in the distance. I don't think it has ever been used in a PS2 game, and is the method that works and looks even better than trilinear filtering (which has been used in PS2 games, but not in GT3 nor GT4 Prologue) Anisotropic filtering is extremely rare even on Xbox (frankly, I can't actually name a game that uses it) but it's easily applicable in PC games with decent graphics cards.
So it would have to be done ingame? If that's the case, gt4 doesn't use it and by looking at the trailer, things look like they should in the pics, but ofc there will be jaggies but I dont think the texture res has been upped in those pics.

Top Bottom