• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Dibbz

Edit to show what I'm blabbering about:
pnqehHX.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as to say the whole scene is faked. Most likely it's just a cube map of the scene that is projected onto the car. It's a bit odd as to why they would do this though since I'm sure the engine is capable of real time reflections.

Yes. When I'm not using my wheel, that is.

Yes stick shifting feels best to me, seems easier to remember what gear I'm in somehow.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the whole scene is faked. Most likely it's just a cube map of the scene that is projected onto the car. It's a bit odd as to why they would do this though since I'm sure the engine is capable of real time reflections.

Current game uses a real time rendered 360 degree cube map of low detail scenery for the reflections, while this Ginza scene is only showing the street in a single direction, which is why the back of the car is reflecting the buildings that it's travelling towards. The most likely reason is because they used a standard video camera, as if they'd shot themselves a 360 degree video, it would be a lot harder to notice, same problem with the cloud sequence. The lens glare on the lights being replicated on the body of the car is another clue that this is using a video instead of a 3D street model. (You can see baked in lens glare of the sun's reflection on some fixed time of day tracks, but again that's because the sky was a photographic source).

The silver lining to this is these could be faked mock-ups of things they are planning to add to the series in future, such as real time clouds and new photo locations/tracks.

It could just be that the level it self is mirrored so that the reflections wouldn't bug out.

It's not unusual in video games.

I considered that, yup. It would literally be mirrored and not rotated 180s due to the buildings that belong on that street. It's impossible to completely disprove, but the look of the reflections makes me very doubtful, and especially with the bus driving past at the end, But what convinces me is it's the same exact issue that I pointed out with the clouds scene when the trailer released, the car only reflecting what we can see in the background. I just feel bad for being taken in by the Ginza scene until now.

spats

All that GT5 footage in the beginning and Kaz appearing in the developer reel... then NOTHING.

Fuck you Sony, Gran Turismo is doomed. RIP.

Polyphony

They weren't going to steal the thunder from Evolution's game. I can only imagine what it's going to look like after seeing Drive Club...

Niks

If theres one thing I can take about DriveClub, is that PD is going to have to step up its environments.

Trial mountain is not going to cut it.

dubc35

If theres one thing I can take about DriveClub, is that PD is going to have to step up its environments.

Trial mountain is not going to cut it.

I have been hoping Forza would inspire them to be better in all aspects for the last 8 years but it hasn't really happened yet. Hopefully another high profile racing game on Sony's platform will light a fire in them. I doubt it though, 2017 GT6 release!

Disappointed about the lack of GT, but Kaz seems happy

untitledlfpgm.png

Having something that's easy to work with must be a breath of a fresh air for that team after the struggles that they had with GT5 on the PS3.

Mush

Hey, at least we might get new car makers now? There's no fucking way Sony would be stupid enough to license Koenigsegg etc for just Drive Club?

Polyphony

I just hope PD found all the staff they needed to create proper assets for the next game. With all the amount of detail that can be pushed visually on PS4, it will take a lot of man-hours to create.

Niks

Disappointed about the lack of GT, but Kaz seems happy

Kaz is always happy about new hardware.

I just hope PD found all the staff they needed to create proper assets for the next game. With all the amount of detail that can be pushed visually on PS4, it will take a lot of man-hours to create.

Yeah. Im not doubting PD on the car side of things.. but they have their work cut out on the track side of things. I know its been said before that GT5 cars are futureproof and scalable, but I wonder if the same can be said about tracks?
Can they just up the polygon count for tracks and just put in better looking textures?

Hopefully it doesn't take them 2 years to bring current tracks up to PS4 specs.

Kaz is always happy about new hardware.

Sure, but everyone is really high on how easy this thing is to develop for. They've worked magic on hardware that's known to be a pain in the ass (PS2 and PS3), so just imagine what they can do with hardware that isn't going to give them constant headaches.

And in some ways i'm kind of happy that GT6 wasn't announced here. It seems like this is the first time that PD has been put in a position to showcase what Sony's console hardware can do. For once Sony is just allowing them to develop their game.

amar212

8GB GDDR5
8-core processor
dedicated streaming hardware and software
stereo camera with head-tracking

Gran Turismo 6 will look... good.

I was listening to Podcast Beyond (IGN's PS podcast) and they were saying that they think PD are going to be pissed about DriveClub. But I really don't understand why. The only thing that it seems to have in common with GT is that it has real cars. Aside from that the entire philosophy of the game seems completely different. It just doesn't seem to resemble Gran Turismo in any way from a gameplay standpoint, so i'm not sure why PD would care.

With that said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them share assets. It could help out both teams and speed up development. And do talk to those Evolution sound guys. :)

amar212

With that said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them share assets. It could help out both teams and speed up development. And do talk to those Evolution sound guys. :)

I have to be honest and say how actual modelling of those cars in video didn't impress me.

Also, talk about "fibers-flow", "carbon-knits", "textile-texture", "rainbow reflections" and such was really stupid IMO This generation already gave us GT5:p, GT5 and Forza 4 (only FM4 models, including DLC ones) car-models that IMO surpasses the quality of details seen yesterday.

It will probably be amazing game, I will buy it day 1 and play as crazy - but I agree about being catered to absolutely different audience then GT. And now I have finally seen it, I can absolutely understand why PD was not in mood to grace Driver Club with GT brand, I wouldn't either (if that rumour is true).

Car models (assets) as shown yesterday are not in the same league as GT/FM of this generation IMO However, great for them to have Takamasa Shichisawa on board (pun intended) - replays and human animation could look gorgeous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have to be honest and say how actual modelling of those cars in video didn't impress me.

Also, talk about "fibers-flow", "carbon-knits", "textile-texture", "rainbow reflections" and such was really stupid IMO This generation already gave us GT5:p, GT5 and Forza 4 (only FM4 models, including DLC ones) car-models that IMO surpasses the quality of details seen yesterday.

It will probably be amazing game, I will buy it day 1 and play as crazy - but I agree about being catered to absolutely different audience then GT. And now I have finally seen it, I can absolutely understand why PD was not in mood to grace Driver Club with GT brand, I wouldn't either (if that rumour is true).

Car models (assets) as shown yesterday are not in the same league as GT/FM of this generation IMO However, great for them to have Takamasa Shichisawa on board (pun intended) - replays and human animation could look gorgeous.

I agree. They focused too much on tiny irrelevant details, and not on the meat of the game and experience. They needed a parade of cars and a parade of tracks and shown how the "club" part actually works.

Niks

Shuhei Yoshida on GT6

As far as the games you are working on, we didn’t get a Gran Turismo, which is kind of a classic reveal for Sony. Is that still as series you are looking forward to releasing?

Working toward this event has been so much fun. I’ve never had this amount of speculation. Everyone has a list of 20 things they want to see at this event. This is just day one. We have more days ahead.

Drive Club models are a lot more detailed than GT5 premiums, the detail in the Venom and Koenigsegg was way above GT5's level, it's not even debatable. I still expect Polyphony's uber high quality models for PS4 to smoke everything in sight though.

Rushy on Rllmuk says he's been gagged :(

amar212

Drive Club models are a lot more detailed than GT5 premiums, the detail in the Venom and Koenigsegg was way above GT5's level, it's not even debatable.(

It is debatable, really. And I am talking about *precision*, not actual number of displayed polygons and such. Because this:

jbcU4sqd5VPJm9.jpg

Can't be actually compared to this:

dsc00417djp.jpg

And that is my only point. Both are off-screen assets and despite heavy compression on Agera's shot, the level of detail is really not the same.

And here is the RL Agera's headlamp - notice how DC model lacks complete dent on place where chassis hosts headlamp and also the lack of raster within headlamp shaders.

This is in fact my photo, I had a chance to photograph it with the smartphone-cam in October 2012 when it was parked near the caffe I visit occasionally. No need to say I was perplexed to see the 1.5M€ car in front of me, between Opels and such. It is one of the only Agera Convertibles in the world, and some search revealed how he had broken dent even in June 2012 (car is featured in some YT amateur video from Monte Carlo dated June) - and broken dent for it probably cost few tenths of thousands, so no surprise he didn't fix it (cheap bastard :D)

However, in the same time, major, major, hats off for DC's modelling of engine-bays and interiors, simply gorgeous.

Can you elaborate, thanx in adv?

Yoshida answering a question about GT on the PS4

――PS4用ソフトとして,「Driveclub」というドライブゲームが発表されました。ですが,日本にはポリフォニー・デジタルがあり,多くの人があのレースゲームの発表に期待を寄せていると思いますが,そのあたりはいかがでしょうか。

吉田氏:
 ポリフォニー・デジタルのキーメンバーはPS4とPS Vitaの開発そのものに関わっています。肝心のグランツーリスモはどうなっているのかということを聞きたいのだと思いますが,それについては,代表の山内一典氏によってそのうち明らかにされるでしょう。

http://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999024/20130222042/

Hopefully someone on GTplanet will translate that.

Also, it seems like Kaz has gone from France to Italy as he was meeting with Ferrari yesterday. Going to be real interesting to see what he's been cooking up.

ruttyboy

Drive Club models are a lot more detailed than GT5 premiums, the detail in the Venom and Koenigsegg was way above GT5's level, it's not even debatable. I still expect Polyphony's uber high quality models for PS4 to smoke everything in sight though.

I wasn't very impressed with the car models in DC, it didn't look very much beyond GT5, some of the texture work in particular looked a bit off. Now obviously I could only see the crappy livestream and it's a WIP so that might be it. Is there any high quality non-offscreen 1080p footage of DC around?

Top Bottom