• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

gt5xl.jpg

DAT Edge quote.

amar212

Why XL Edition, why not just GT5 Spec 2.0?
Moreover, they're still using the same boxart.

It is called exactly like that...in Japan.

23l9y.jpg

However, SCEA obviously thought how "Spec II" (notice how actual Japanese cover uses Roman "II" as it should from series-heritage perspective, not "2") was not so.. sellable.

Ah, SCEA.. Still nothing about Moon Over The Castle, yes? SCEE? No Moon Over The Castle either, yes? Ah, those Western producers... They always have to special about things they don't understand instead focusing on things they do understand.

spats

It is called exactly like that...in Japan.

23l9y.jpg

However, SCEA obviously thought how "Spec II" (notice how actual Japanese cover uses Roman "II" as it should from series-heritage perspective, not "2") was not so.. saleable.

Basically the Japanese cover looks like it came straight from the PD graphic design people, American cover looks like it was eaten up by the SCEA marketing team and then shat out as committee-designed, soulless drivel. I mean it's a nice background image, but the exact image was already used on the collector's edition. They could've at least changed the hue on it or something haha.

Syn23

Someone of you guys that is good at Photoshop (maybe Polyphony?) should really consider making a custom cover (that could be used both for GT5 and Spec 2.0/XL) like the ones you find in this thread.

I'm sure something simple and stylish could come out.

ACH1LL3US

If I import GT5 spec II, will the language be in Japanese or can I change it to English? Also would my GT5 save in the cloud work if I buy the Spec II version? I sold my original copy of GT5 and figure I might aswell get the spec II version if my save works with it :)

offshore

Ah, SCEA.. Still nothing about Moon Over The Castle, yes? SCEE? No Moon Over The Castle either, yes?

Moon Over The Castle should be retired from intros anyway. Soul on Display should be GT's new theme. Never get bored of watching Spec II's intro; the best PD have ever done. I think Kaz might agree, given the amount of times he retweeted the positive comments on the intro...

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been trying to get the 2J to show up in the used car dealership for almost a week. :(
Why don't they make the used car dealership like the premium car dealership?

Moon Over The Castle should be retired from intros anyway. Soul on Display should be GT's new theme. Never get bored of watching Spec II's intro; the best PD have ever done. I think Kaz might agree, given the amount of times he retweeted the positive comments on the intro...

You don't retire a theme that's been around since day 1 of the franchise just because some people might like another song. That would be like Nintendo retiring the Zelda theme because the Skyward Sword theme has received a lot of praise.

offshore

Not really the same though, after all not many outside of Japan know MoTC even exists. Tell you what though, GT4 MoTC Orchestral Version + Spec II Soul On Display would make an epic intro combination...

So then the West can have Soul on Display. Moon Over the Castle should stay as it is in Japan. No reason to replace it. There's no way that SoD will hold up over the years like MotC has.

amar212

SCEE and SCEA successfully destroyed every single GT intro in the series history with their *choice* of intro songs for the reasons of appealing the Western audience.

Pure statistics margin of "You can't really shit 8 of 8" made GT2's intro with Cardingans somewhat bareable, but original MOTC still sounds and feel better, not to even speak about animations being synched with the music.

Of course, it would be probably too much to ask to have original intros, but I would somehow just like to have MOTC available inside Music Library so I can at least listen it.

They payed probably thosands to those My Chemical Throwup clowns for rights for that obscure tune but they didn't want to pay for MOTC. I still can't comprehend it and although I agree about Daiki Kasho did a good job with SOTD and that intro is good, MOTC is what Gran Turismo is.

It is a anathem of its kind and I really miss it in the overally magnificently produced and choosen soundtrack.

dalin80

Banned
In terms of music both intro and ingame nothing gets close to the original.

I have left the game running in the background just for the dealer music on its own.

The intro of GT2 (not the remixed crap) is probably still my favorite intro from the series purely for nostalgia and what getting that game meant for me at that time. Watched that intro everyday I had the game.

ih9SSuv1NpEol.gif

Sorry but, Moon Over the Castle NEVER gets old. Specially the orchestrated version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8m37_2Y6w

Btw, the Gran Turismo 5 XL release that's coming out in america mentions 4 DLC tracks, from the "DLC from October, December, and early 2012".

So, next DLC it's new tracks?

From newegg

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition features the full original version of Gran Turismo 5 game, the best-selling racing game on PlayStation 3, all of the downloadable patches and free feature and content updates through Spec 2.0, as well as a voucher for all of Gran Turismo 5's current and yet –to-be-released DLC valued at over $25.

Features

Original Gran Turismo 5 game:
1000+ customizable cars
20+ Tracks, 70+ layouts
16-player online racing
New online racing challenges updated on a regular basis

All game patches/updates since launch, including new Spec 2.0 update released in October 2011

Voucher for over $25 worth of DLC, including 25 new cars, 4 tracks, and more

All of the DLC from October, December, and early 2012

So at least 2 new tracks and 6 new cars?

Kaz did say there was an update coming in January and I would have expected at least one track for the next DLC as the last one was just a vehicle pack.

Polyphony

Interesting... I would've thought that the 4 tracks referred to Spa, Spa (weather), Kart Space 1 and Kart Space 2.

But looking at the official GT website, they do list Spa and Kart Spaces as 2 tracks only.

Course Pack (2 tracks, 5 layouts)
The new Course Pack includes SPA-Francorchamps (with weather effects) and Kart Space layouts I and II (each layout supports normal and reverse).

So... start guessing :D

SonnyBoy

Fellas, I just got a PS3. Are there multiple editions to this game? I'm not sure what I need to buy. Also, is there a quality wheel for under $200?

Polyphony

Fellas, I just got a PS3. Are there multiple editions to this game? I'm not sure what I need to buy. Also, is there a quality wheel for under $200?

XL/Spec II includes gigabytes of updates + vouchers for all DLC.

Best wheel under 200$ would be a DFGT, unless you manage to find a G25.

amar212

Midfield and Apricot would certainly make me and my friends happy for some time now.

Nice find, January DLC pretty much confirmed, with track pack probably being the only content with 4$ price discrepancy over the beautiful on-cover info.

offshore

Midfield and Apricot would certainly make me and my friends happy for some time now.

I'd do anything for Midfield and Tahiti Dirt Route 3. They're the only two tracks that I can happily do laps in for hours and hours. Wish PD would bring them back.

AndyD

aka andydumi
From newegg

So at least 2 new tracks and 6 new cars?

Hope you are right. 2 more tracks are due to make the 4. And alternate layouts don't count, as PD lists the previous DLC as 2 tracks 5 layouts already, which would make the above description incorrect already.

spats

Thought this was real for a second!lol

Is this coming to the EU? I wanna buy GT5

Nothing has been announced as far as I know, but SCEE would be COMPLETELY DENSE not to bring it over to their biggest market.

Thenagain, this is SCEE we're talking about so I wouldn't bet on it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Considering selling my Logitech G27. Superb condition, no wear, scratches, or markings on it. Always taken care of. Includes original box, booklets, contents, etc. Shoot me offers if interested.

I used it solidly for 3-4 months after GT5 came out, and then started playing the game after with a controller since.

amar212

Blah.

Europe/PAL got superior Polyphony 001 and 002 fictional cars. Who need such iconic shapes when you can enjoy genuine fantasy vehicles.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I have some more rudimentary questions again. I've tried looking these things up, but some of the answers I've found are rather vague.

How exactly do the B-spec driver commands work? At first I had thought it was just something simple like: pace up = go faster, pace down = slow down, but after a while that didn't seem to be the case. Is it more like telling the driver how carefully or recklessly to drive? When is the best time to use the overtake command? It seems like even if he's right on the tail of someone and could feasibly cut around, he won't take the opportunity even if I use the command.

If I'm not in an endurance race, should I always use soft tires?

What's the best all around starter car that I should aspire to, particularly for a race like the GT World Championships in Pro? The Nissan GT-R GT500 was working pretty well for a while, but it's starting to be outclassed in many races, even ones where my driver is several levels above the race level. I have upgraded pretty much everything in it to where its PP is around the 700s. I had bought a Ferrari 599 and completely upgraded everything, only to find it had fewer PP. I also wasted a bit of money on the fully customizable transmission and suspension, only to realize I have no idea how to actually customize them.

I have some more rudimentary questions again. I've tried looking these things up, but some of the answers I've found are rather vague.

How exactly do the B-spec driver commands work? At first I had thought it was just something simple like: pace up = go faster, pace down = slow down, but after a while that didn't seem to be the case. Is it more like telling the driver how carefully or recklessly to drive? When is the best time to use the overtake command? It seems like even if he's right on the tail of someone and could feasibly cut around, he won't take the opportunity even if I use the command.

If I'm not in an endurance race, should I always use soft tires?

What's the best all around starter car that I should aspire to, particularly for a race like the GT World Championships in Pro? The Nissan GT-R GT500 was working pretty well for a while, but it's starting to be outclassed in many races, even ones where my driver is several levels above the race level. I have upgraded pretty much everything in it to where its PP is around the 700s. I had bought a Ferrari 599 and completely upgraded everything, only to find it had fewer PP. I also wasted a bit of money on the fully customizable transmission and suspension, only to realize I have no idea how to actually customize them.

It's telling him to try harder and keep cool. You push him too hard he's mental health drains faster and he starts making mistakes, but some times you have to risk it. Bobs only start overtaking without problems around lvl 35, before that they do tend to just kiss the other cars instead of overtaking.

And yes, softs are always better, and they don't ware out until the endurance races, but imo they just make races way too easy.

RS4-

Doing the B-Spec Spa special with my level 10 driver, using the NSX based on tips from the previous pages.

I don't know if my driver will be able to keep up the pace. 6 laps in and he's sitting first. Mental and strength are pretty much zero :(

psn: resonating

Top Bottom