• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Ark

brentech said:
And that's the problem. a) it's retroactive and b) they could have effect on other races that maybe they wouldn't have been around with the correct tires.

just isn't worth the risk imo

Sure, but it's impossible to police many things if you take that view.

We´re just waiting on Sony to kick things up.

Think of it this way. If It´s postponed due to security reasons, we will be just like Formula 1.

Juicy Bob

seattle6418 said:
We´re just waiting on Sony to kick things up.

Think of it this way. If It´s postponed due to security reasons, we will be just like Formula 1.
...but that makes Mush our Ecclestone.

Mush

Cheer up chums, because the real Super GT starts this weekend, with the (rescheduled) Round 1 at Fuji Speedway!

Lots of super sexy new rides being shown off for the 1st time:

GT300
ubRER.jpg

EJVr5.jpg

(one day, Kaz. One day)
XtCIF.jpg

gxJMo.jpg

(yes, a Corvette in the GT300 class!)
cArZW.jpg

bGWXN.jpg

ZiN50.jpg

(obligatory)

GT500

tW9rK.jpg

(your series champion, formally the Takata NSX)
EnAWL.jpg

(OUR series champion :p)
rg1P4.jpg

YEuvA.jpg

iKele.jpg

kOMd9.jpg

(you may recognise this livery from GT5 as a IS350. Well, this year they have moved up to the GT500 class, and boy does it look good)

And of course, it just wouldn't be a trademark Mush™ post without a shot of his baby:
kcSIP.jpg

More images can be found here.

Dibbz

I'd love to watch Super GT. Been watching GT1 races recently and they're really fun. Surprisingly the highlights for that come on Bloomberg and not a sports channel here in the UK.

ashk

Dibbz said:
I'd love to watch Super GT. Been watching GT1 races recently and they're really fun. Surprisingly the highlights for that come on Bloomberg and not a sports channel here in the UK.

I've never watched it, but I think the GT1 World Championship has live streaming up on their official site.

I miss seeing you guys post updates and race previews, commentaries, post race media, etc. Gonna be a hell of a return once it comes together again.

Juicy Bob

ashk said:
I've never watched it, but I think the GT1 World Championship has live streaming up on their official site.
They do, as well as full races on demand. I'd thoroughly recommend having a look if you've never done so before.

brentech

Yeah, that's bad ass. I assume that has to be tuned by a Japanese company?
(don't really know all the rules for that)

Mush

brentech said:
Yeah, that's bad ass. I assume that has to be tuned by a Japanese company?
(don't really know all the rules for that)
Fun fact: that very same car won the Dubai 24hr earlier this year.

WJUF0.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beemer racing in a Japanese focused Japanese Manufacture event? Interesting. Even more interesting is the Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed livery looks a lot better than the (forgetting it's anme) Japanese livery.

Mush

The #23 Motul GT-R takes the flag, with the Eneos and WedsSport Lexus' in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

GT5 (GAF) > Real Life > GT5 (GAF)?!

ashk

TheSeks said:
Beemer racing in a Japanese focused Japanese Manufacture event? Interesting. Even more interesting is the Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed livery looks a lot better than the (forgetting it's anme) Japanese livery.

The GT500 is all Japanese manufacturers and the cars there are specifically built for SuperGT, but GT300 has a lot of customer racing cars that you can find racing in GT leagues all over the world, like Ferrari and Porsche.

I don't normally follow SuperGT, but there was some talk that future regulations would be made compatible with the new DTM regulations which kick in next year. If that's true, you might soon see BMW, Mercedes and Audi in GT500.

Mush said:
The #23 Motul GT-R takes the flag, with the Eneos and WedsSport Lexus' in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Go Eneos! I bet they're a lot more competitive in the real SuperGT :p

ashk said:
The GT500 is all Japanese manufacturers and the cars there are specifically built for SuperGT, but GT300 has a lot of customer racing cars that you can find racing in GT leagues all over the world, like Ferrari and Porsche.

I don't normally follow SuperGT, but there was some talk that future regulations would be made compatible with the new DTM regulations which kick in next year. If that's true, you might soon see BMW, Mercedes and Audi in GT500.

If DTM and SuperGT had a mega merger that would be a hell of a series. Might as well throw GT1 in there. They are all somewhat similar. The GT1 Forg GT looks amazing. Hadn't looked at the GT1 series in so long.

TheSeks

I don't really follow motorsports so I just found it weird a (?)German(?) car manufacturer is in a Japanese touring series where most of the entrants in the past have been Japanese car manu's.

ashk

gutterboy44 said:
If DTM and SuperGT had a mega merger that would be a hell of a series. Might as well throw GT1 in there. They are all somewhat similar. The GT1 Forg GT looks amazing. Hadn't looked at the GT1 series in so long.

As I understand it, it wouldn't be a series merge, but the rules for both would be similar enough to enable cars to run in either series. It would be great for spectators in both series because of the possibility of Japanese cars in DTM (which is lacking diversity ATM) and German cars in SuperGT. But the manufacturers are pushing for it (particularly BMW) because it makes it makes it possible for them to sell more cars and make more of a profit.

TheSeks said:
I don't really follow motorsports so I just found it weird a (?)German(?) car manufacturer is in a Japanese touring series where most of the entrants in the past have been Japanese car manu's.

Yeah, I understand why it might seem weird, I used to think it was all Japanese cars in SuperGT as well until I took a closer look at the series and saw that GT300 was basically a "normal" GT league not dissimilar to countless others around the world.

TheSeks said:

This baby is in GT
azur.jpg

gutterboy44 said:
Way ahead of you ^^

Angst

If PSN goes live today or tomorrow - should we start the Super GT league immediately or should we give people one week for practice and start racing on the 14th?

Personally I'd prefer the 14th as no PSN has meant that I haven't touched GT for 2 weeks or more...

ashk

Angst said:
If PSN goes live today or tomorrow - should we start the Super GT league immediately or should we give people one week for practice and start racing on the 14th?

Personally I'd prefer the 14th as no PSN has meant that I haven't touched GT for 2 weeks or more...

I haven't played in a week so far, so I'm itching for some racing. I'd like it to start as soon as possible (that goes for both leagues). At least some sort of practice race if people don't feel ready to start the main event.

Mush

I haven't touched my PS3 for a few weeks now, I'd love to start racing again. Another thing we need to address is do we stick with the plan of having 10 rounds or do we cut it down a bit?

ashk

Mush said:
I haven't touched my PS3 for a few weeks now, I'd love to start racing again. Another thing we need to address is do we stick with the plan of having 10 rounds or do we cut it down a bit?

Good question. As it stands, the league is due to end somewhere in July, and I think there's a good chance that some people might be unavailable by the end due to summer holidays. So I'd say we drop 2 or 4 races.

Angst

ashk said:
Good question. As it stands, the league is due to end somewhere in July, and I think there's a good chance that some people might be unavailable by the end due to summer holidays. So I'd say we drop 2 or 4 races.
I think that's a good idea. I will be available until mid July, but lots of people will probably go on vacation in the beginning of July.

Angst

If PSN goes live sometime tomorrow I say we do the race on Saturday (if we can get a high enough attendance that is).

Hey guys.

I don't know if brentech will be available this saturday, but I most likely will, even though I haven't touched GT in like 3-4 weeks either and I suck at Suzuka. So whenever PSN finally goes back up...

TheSeks

So hey, guys, why don't we do the opening here!?

3... 2... 1... GO!

*parada lap*

Since I'm the slowest person in the race, I'm dead last. Cue me overtaking Brentech. 15th place. Over smug for FINALLY OVERTAKING SOMEONE, I don't see a corner coming up and slam into it.

Cue me mumble grumbling to the pits and staying dead last for about five laps.

Angst

:'(

As we have no idea when PSN comes back combined with the fact that attendance will be a problem during the summer, I'm thinking we might have to postpone season 2 until the fall. I haven't discussed this with mush + UFRA yet, so we will return with more info once we have talked it over.

My idea for a short "silly" season before the summer break:

4 races in June (PSN should be fully back by then)
No teams, everybody in the league that wants to race is welcome.
Endurance races only (1.5 hours)

I'm thinking Sarthe, Suzuka, Monza and the Ring.

How does this sound people? Again, these are my personal thoughts and doesn't reflect upon the Super GT committee. :p

Angst

Nice! :)

I think I'll wait awhile until we have a solid PSN date and then I'll start PM'ing the super gt people.

ashk

As long as it's racing I don't care much about the details so I'm up for anything. We could even drive GT300 cars, I quite liked the Tsukuba event.

Angst

ashk said:
As long as it's racing I don't care much about the details so I'm up for anything. We could even drive GT300 cars, I quite liked the Tsukuba event.
Until PSN is back we're going with TheSeks' idea:

racing by e-mail:
Every racers fills out a form where they write down their throttle, brake and steering input for a specific section of the track. This form is emailed to kaz@gmail.com who rolls a couple of dices and posts the result here. If your name is ashk you have a 12 % chance of a disconnect card on the final lap. If your name is mush you have a 15 % chance of being overtaken on the final straight. If your name is angst you have 50 % chance of spinning out each lap.

Top Bottom