• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

The tiling of the water seems like a clear sign that this was created using a modular/flexible system, but otherwise it's really impressive, and I'm not really sure how they're doing the rest of it.

However, if it's just a new track... sort that horrible tiling out PD! :D

ruttyboy

Looks too good to be 100% Course Maker.

Course Maker + extra sprucing up of created track is their monthly track DLC plan of attack.

Makes sense, but a little disappointing if true. It's an incentive to not allow full creativity with the course maker. Hopefully they price them very reasonably if they are Course Maker++ tracks.

ruttyboy

Some parts of that video it along the coast it seems like it might have point to point courses and not just circuits. Fingers crossed.

Do you think the course maker is going to be a PGR style one where there is a large area of multiple routes and junctions and you can choose the one you want to use? That way they can put in lots of trackside detail.

Maybe the GPS stuff, if it ever arrives, will use something more like the GT5 course maker with much simpler environments.

Niks

I havent played gt6 as much as of late... the track creator looks promising...

so what happened to the nrl? Im done with the main campaign.

"That's a huge new track, but we can't say more about it"

bv87MNq.jpg

from GTP

21.7 miles is not big enough for my liking, I hope we can make longer tracks.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No offense, but that's quire a selfish attitude to take. Everyone who buys the game deserves a chance to compete in the seasonals and go for gold in their own way.

I don't get this, why should you get the top skills' reward if you aren't skilled enough?
I'm not talking about locking stuff (cars, liveries, etc) behind a gold reward, but you shouldn't be awarded a Gold badge if you aren't good enough. It would be like getting all S ranks in Ninja Gaiden or DMC while having the game on GOD-mode, what's the point?

anddo0

Why do certain cars (Pagani Huayra) refuse to turn/corner?

No matter how much to the extreme left you pull the stick. The car still goes right.

Repo Man

Been busy at work and stuff but finally got around to check the latest seasonals the other night and boy do I dislike that new Toyota concept! Tried the seasonal with all aids except abs off ( 'tis the way I roll! ) but the damn thing understeered like hell when entering a corner and upon exit the tail is all over the place. Did the seasonal with SRF on in the end which hurt my pride but I thought better that then ragequit and throw my DS3 on the wall :p

Why do certain cars (Pagani Huayra) refuse to turn/corner?

No matter how much to the extreme left you pull the stick. The car still goes right.
If you literally mean the car goes right when you turn left, then there is something very wrong with your controller. But I think you probably mean that when you turn hard left, the car doesn't turn left very much, and mostly continues in a straight line?

That's understeer, which happens when the front tyres have less grip than the rear tyres. This can be caused by many things, and as such can be overcome by many things too.

My first recommendation would be: slow the car down more before turning. Most road cars are set up to understeer slightly, because it is a safer loss of grip than oversteer, and easier to correct. The Huarya is a very fast road car and has lots of weight over the rear tyres - it is going to be very prone to understeer if you enter a corner too fast.

Laieon

How playable is this without a wheel? I know I won't be getting the best experience, but I'm interested in trying Gran Turismo out.

How playable is this without a wheel? I know I won't be getting the best experience, but I'm interested in trying Gran Turismo out.
Very. GT has always been good with gamepads, even when using just digital buttons - their input filters are very good. GT6 has extensive gamepad options - you can reconfigure almost everything to a different input, and then there are further controller sensitivity options. The driver aids also help a great deal when you don't have the precision of a wheel and pedals, but it's still possible to drive with no aids with a gamepad with practice. You can still get a sense of how each car 'feels' just from the visual behaviour with a gamepad, but you'll be lacking the proper sensation of driving you get with a wheel.

UFRA

Does anyone have a link to a tuning guide for cars in GT6?

I remember there was one for GT5 where you could look for a specific car and find out good settings for it (suspension, LSD, etc.).

I'm having extreme difficulty taming the Audi R8 LMS Ultra. The thing handles like a mess by default...

benzy

No announcements then?

1535738_664546606921415_704248957_n.jpg

The Taiwanese Playstation site mentions the new track is 16.7 miles long :(

This guy did a translation of Taipei game show articles.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-news-and-discussion.260299/page-245#post-9263174

- Kaz promises to introduce 35 new vehicles through the Vision GT project

- 5 M-B Vision Gran Turismos (-moes?) will be reproduced in real life, with them being based on the 2014 SLS AMG GT (Kaz says he is very "touched" by this).

- Kaz says that he insists on the "One person, one car" policy, in which every single car (premium, I suppose) must be modeled by one person only, from top to bottom, so that each staff member can reflect the qualities of Shokunins (職人), which is closely defined as "Craftsman" or "artisan" in English (Now we know why they can't make every standard into premiums...they should just hire more people, I think).

- Kaz says a new 27Km track (most likely around Zahara and its lake, near Ronda, Spain) will be coming to GT6 soon as part of a new DLC (which will be launched sometime in February), along with two RB X2014 models:the RB X2014 Standard, and RB X2014 Fan Car. He later showed that same video we saw the other day on the live stream.

- When asked about future developments, Kaz said that while development for GT7 was already underway, PD is still putting their main focus on constantly updating GT6 with new content.

- A future announcement will be coming soon, though it's not made clear whether this is referring to GT7 or the new track that was mentioned earlier.

dubc35

- Kaz says that he insists on the "One person, one car" policy, in which every single car (premium, I suppose) must be modeled by one person only, from top to bottom, so that each staff member can reflect the qualities of Shokunins (職人), which is closely defined as "Craftsman" or "artisan" in English (Now we know why they can't make every standard into premiums...they should just hire more people, I think).

FFS

face_palm.jpg

He should use Toyota's production system as his model for modeling the cars; keep WIP low and throughput high.

Dead Man

You fuckwit.

benzy

We would still get around the same amount of cars even if they had 2 or 3 people modeling one car...

Considering there's only a set number of car modelers:

1) One car modeled by 2-3 people - car model is done quicker, but only one car is finished

or

2) Each person models one car - car modeling takes longer, but more car models finish at nearly the same time frame.

And this also brings consistency into car models, so less swapping around model data, people trying to figure out what detail's been left out or where the last person finished, etc.

The only thing that would give us more cars is if they hire more people, or outsource, and we already outsourcing is out of the question for PD. Having one person model one car completely isn't a bad thing imo.

Dead Man

We would still get around the same amount of cars even if they had 2 or 3 people modeling one car...

Considering there's only a set number of car modelers:

1) One car modeled by 2-3 people - car model is done quicker, but only one car is finished

or

2) Each person models one car - car modeling takes longer, but more car models finish at nearly the same time frame.

And this also brings consistency into car models, so less swapping around model data, people trying to figure out what detail's been left out or where the last person finished, etc.

The only thing that would give us more cars is if they hire more people, or outsource, and we already outsourcing is out of the question for PD. Having one person model one car completely isn't a bad thing imo.
Sure, but it also implies that he is more worried about artisanship (I don't know if that is a word) than the actual result attained overall. His no outsourcing views are a result of this shit.

paskowitz

You think it would be simple, hire more modelers. I bet PD has ridiculous standards for new hires making this "impossible". 99% of people will never investigate/appreciate any of this modeling detail. Every single car in GT6 better carry over to GT7 on the PS4... otherwise this will all have been a massive waste.

Niks

Does anyone have a link to a tuning guide for cars in GT6?

I remember there was one for GT5 where you could look for a specific car and find out good settings for it (suspension, LSD, etc.).

I'm having extreme difficulty taming the Audi R8 LMS Ultra. The thing handles like a mess by default...

The car is broken ufra, dont even try...
Cant believe they haven't patched it yet.

UFRA

The car is broken ufra, dont even try...
Cant believe they haven't patched it yet.

Ok well at least someone feels the same way as me, I feel better now. :)

But still sad...it's such a sweet car, I don't know what they did to it but it's insane.

So I bought this game at launch and I've been barely able to play it. I've been having the sudden shut-down problem with my 60GB PS3 and a physical copy of the game.
I seriously doubt it's a hardware problem. I already replaced the internal fan, thermal paste and power unit and the problem still persists. GT6 is the ONE game that provokes this sort of hardware behaviour.
I'm starting to wonder if this game is overclocking the CPU and/or putting huge stress on the Blu-Ray drive. If it's just stress on the drive I could just buy the PSN version, sell the physical copy and call it a day. It sure beats buying a new PS3 just for one game.
So, is anyone with the PSN version of the game and a phat model having the same problem?

Ok well at least someone feels the same way as me, I feel better now. :)

But still sad...it's such a sweet car, I don't know what they did to it but it's insane.

One quick tune that helps is to put tires with less grip on the front wheels. For example, Racing Hards at front wheels and Racing Soft at rear wheels.

But I do agree that the Audi R18 and the R8 have a strange behaviour when comparing with similiar cars.

So I bought this game at launch and I've been barely able to play it. I've been having the sudden shut-down problem with my 60GB PS3 and a physical copy of the game.
I seriously doubt it's a hardware problem. I already replaced the internal fan, thermal paste and power unit and the problem still persists. GT6 is the ONE game that provokes this sort of hardware behaviour.
I'm starting to wonder if this game is overclocking the CPU and/or putting huge stress on the Blu-Ray drive. If it's just stress on the drive I could just buy the PSN version, sell the physical copy and call it a day. It sure beats buying a new PS3 just for one game.
So, is anyone with the PSN version of the game and a phat model having the same problem?

You can play Naughty Dog games without problem?

If so, it's not the CPU.

You can play Naughty Dog games without problem?
If so, it's not the CPU.
Yeap, just played a few hours last week. I also left GT5 overnight running in demo mode and it was still running fine in the morning.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the blu-ray drive since I replaced almost every other component. If I was sure of that I would just buy the digital version, that's why I want to know if anyone with a phat and a PSN version is having any issues.

So non premium cars in GT7
Or only premium cars in GT7 doesn't come out any time soon

Sounds kind of crazy

benzy

I looked through their credits today. They have a paltry 18 modelers. They have 19 modeling "assistants." Whatever that means. Maybe they just help take pictures and stuff.

The math works out pretty close in regards to PD taking six months to model a car. GT6 was in development for about 3 years, so each of the 18 modelers were able to create 6 car models in that time frame. So in total it should be 108 new cars in 3 years, which is actually around the number of brand new premiums to GT6 not counting the base model duplicates. Comparing the car lists there were 105 brand new cars to the series.

I wonder if the assistants are there to learn and train so they can eventually become apart of the modeling group.

The math works out pretty close in regards to PD taking six months to model a car. GT6 was in development for about 3 years, so each of the 18 modelers were able to create 6 car models in that time frame. So in total it should be 108 new cars in 3 years, which is actually around the number of brand new premiums to GT6 not counting the base model duplicates. Comparing the car lists there were 105 brand new cars to the series.

I wonder if the assistants are there to learn and train so they can eventually become apart of the modeling group.

I hope. 36 a year is fucking terrible.

Dead Man

Yeah, that is not going to cut it to keep up with new production cars and race cars, upgrading existing cars, and adding new historic vehicles.

I don't know why this shit still riles me up. What should I expect at this point? Clearly the man has lost the plot. If Kaz had his head any further up his ass he would crack a rib. If he released a GT game that delivered on half of his promises, we would all be looking at a GOTY every time. But we don't get that, GT5 was a horribly fractured vision, GT6 an alarmingly unpolished game released at the absolute very end of a generation where every one else was coming out with near perfection. I'm looking forward to his PS4 art simulator. I cannot wait for the inevitable GT7 let down regarding sound effects too. How many times have we been fed this exact same line? You're more likely to see X-Spec mode in PS4 that lets you have sex with a car model than leader boards. It is bordering on fetishism at this point. Racing and driving simulation must not even make the front page of priorities at PD these days.

The first day or two playing GT6 I think my confidence in GT7 delivering the goods was 60%, after two weeks of playing it, about 30%, and now after this latest round of announcements, 4%. Nothing like trying 50 new things before even getting the last 10 things you threw at the wall correct. Maybe he should look in to finishing GT5 before moving on to GT7.

velociraptor

I didn't bother with GT6 - first GT game I have skipped.

If GT7 is another below par disappointment I will give up on the franchise completely.

Everything sounds worryingly wrong.

bud

We've already seen the future, this is a PS4 standard car:

granturismo6_63wqukn.jpg

granturismo6_7228uzh.jpg

Like the BMW in GT6 the interiors will be added throughout GT's life on PS4.

pretty much. i doubt they'll just drop all standards for gt7. it would be embarrassing to go from 1000+ and 1200+ cars to ~500 (?). they'll just keep upgrading the standards and turn some of them into premiums along the way.

We've already seen the future, this is a PS4 standard car:

granturismo6_63wqukn.jpg

granturismo6_7228uzh.jpg

Like the BMW in GT6 the interiors will be added throughout GT's life on PS4.
You might be right, but I think you're jumping to conclusions a little...

Firstly, the upgraded standards vary significantly in quality. Some of them have seen some very basic tidying up, with the jaggy textures for shutlines removed, while the low number of polys has remained the same/similar. Others have seen more attention, with a fair increase in polys to improve curves. That Ruf is one of the most-improved, and from a distance it would be acceptable for PS4. Others... not so much, and yet they were 'improved' too - are they really going to do it again?

Secondly, I believe the BMW was the first example of an interior being added in later, and it may have been a unique scenario. A brand new car, always a Premium, and they wanted to make it available to drive on the same day that BMW officially revealed the car. The interior wasn't ready in time. This doesn't suggest that we will see interiors added to Standard models - I don't think they've ever added an interior to a standard model? (besides the ones that had basic interiors as a result of being open-top)

However, those numbers are "industry standards" regarding timelapse. Forza carrs take exactly the same time to model.

I don't want the "standard" from PD. I want them to lead the way. Forza has become stagnant and their latest iteration had shit for cars. But those cars are 100% modeled down to the engine. It's very possible that PD has done the same, but hasn't found the need to implement it, or simply can't because of storage space, etc, but more needs to happen.

GT will always have a soft spot in my heart, but as for racing games and the future, i can´t wait for a new challenger, because i trully believe GT will never deliver on some of the things i want/expect out of a racing game.

Maybe Pcars is this game, maybe assetto corsa, maybe something else. There are no words to describe how stupid that comment about car modelling and art is. Craftsmanship in a videogame? How about no!

They´ve really lost it, so we just better enjoy the good bits and look for complete racing simulation elsewhere. With community mods you pretty much don´t have a problem with content, and you´re not at the mercy of 18 car modellers, so i just hope that Pcars allows for mods on the console.

He's using some flowery language, but ultimately they're just trying to do really good models. And their models are among the best, if not the best. If the problem is that it takes too long, then they should stop trying to do so many cars. I don't see why is has any effect on the rest of the problems with GT. The last thing I'd be complaining about is the models, they're amazing!

Top Bottom