• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

I've played half an hour of Race Driver 3 and the campaign was much more fun than the GT5 or GT6 single-player. How the hell can that be?

Jedi2016

The weird thing about those drifting challenges is that I'm a lot better drifting normal cars with TCS on than I am drifting those "custom-tuned-especially-for-drifting" cars. The Yellowbird on the 'Ring can drift just fine with TCS on (low, of course, but it's too quick to break when it's turned off completely), and I can keep the Ferrari GTO sideways for quite a bit with the stock sports tires. But I spin like a top in the special drifting events.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I finally have gold in everything... except that last drift challenge, I can't even get a silver! I'm thinking I'm going to have to either try for 20 hours until I fluke a run, or learn to use the DS3...

Any tips would be gratefully received as it's going to prey on my mind that I have one last event to do :(

I'm having to do the drifts with the controller, I'm horrible at it.

Zeth

Do I want this latest update? I got it when it first came out by cancelling and then going to notifications. But I'm prompted with another now.

commedieu

Banned
I've played half an hour of Race Driver 3 and the campaign was much more fun than the GT5 or GT6 single-player. How the hell can that be?

GT doesn't have a campaign. Just races.. to get money..

Some say it has one, but i've been playing the same game they've been since GT1.

They handled it really well in the toca series.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I finally golded all the drift challenges. It really sucked on the S class one when I'd get 3,000 on the first drift, and then proceed to choke on every other section.

TTG

Ascari is such an awesome track. You think, "that's a clean lap" and then 20 minutes later there's a second shaved off the time and then another and another, very rewarding. It's the new Suzuka in the sense that finding the best line and braking points is an ongoing process even after hours of driving.

The stock Acura NSX is a lot of fun too. That gold time is just enough challenge for a session's worth of play without getting aggravated.

Dead Man

Because it is still one of the best racing games with licensed series ever made? Which is faint praise in some areas such as the nuances of the car dynamics, but the noise and feel of the cars is top notch, and the career is interesting enough to keep you distracted while you drive some shithouse series.

nib95

Banned
I made this post over at GTPlanet, thought I'd post here too!

nib95 said:
A lot of people talk of boredom in GT games, or in racing games in general, but these are the same people who play with all HUD options on, driving lines on, assists etc, and then feel the need to use cars at the very limit of the PP allowance, in other words, being over powered and so on.

Of COURSE it's going to be easy or monotonous if you play the game like that.

I recently bought a new TV, (Panasonic VT65), and using the G25, playing with ALL menu and HUD options off, including the driving line, and playing in cockpit view with "narrow" selected as the FOV, has been an absolute revelation. It's about 100x more immersive and realistic. At times, if I'd squint it almost looked real.

The thing I've noticed is that if you use the Driving Line and other easier view modes, you not only kill the level of engagement, you pretty much never truly learn any of the tracks or learn to drive properly. It's just a mechanical repetitive procedure of following a line.

If anyone has ever done any real life go-kart racing or track racing, you'll know that usually going in you do NOT know the track properly. You take it easy the first few laps and start learning as you go. That is what you should do in GT6 as well. It's the only way you'll truly learn a track, and is the reason GT games start off easier early on. Novice, National B races etc, they're designed for people who don't know the tracks properly yet.

It'll also mean you are much more likely to make mistakes, as there's no hand holding driving line telling you when you've over shot it.

So to clarify…

If you really want a truly immersive, more realistic and challenging gaming and racing experience in GT6…

- Turn off all the HUD options completely
- Turn off the Driving Line completely
- Drive in cockpit view, with Interior View Angle set to 'Narrow' (this view you can better read the speedometer etc)
- Turn off Assists and put Traction to 0 (matter of taste, some cars you may need SFR and more help)
- Do not feel the need to use a car with the absolute maximum PP permitted
- Turn Race BGM OFF and add extra Bass if your sound system allows it (GT sound needs added rumble)
- Sit closer to your TV than you ordinarily would. The more of it's surrounding you see, the more it breaks immersion

I know others have said similar things in other threads, but honestly, it needs to be drummed in. It's a completely different and considerably more involving experience as played above.

Dead Man

I made this post over at GTPlanet, thought I'd post here too!

A lot of people talk of boredom in GT games, or in racing games in general, but these are the same people who play with all HUD options on, driving lines on, assists etc, and then feel the need to use cars at the very limit of the PP allowance, in other words, being over powered and so on.

That is one hell of an assumption mate.

Deband

Only problem with using the in car view i find is the frame rate is appalling sometimes. For example I just did the championship race at the end of the national A class and Bathhurst was virtually unplayable in this view at certain points. Shame PD seem unable to lock the frame rate down.

benzy

Only problem with using the in car view i find is the frame rate is appalling sometimes. For example I just did the championship race at the end of the national A class and Bathhurst was virtually unplayable in this view at certain points. Shame PD seem unable to lock the frame rate down.

If you change the image quality settings to sharpen, it will help with framerate but increase screen tear. Changing it to flicker reduction will remove the screen tear but have framerate problems again though.

Deband

If you change the image quality settings to sharpen, it will help with framerate but increase screen tear. Changing it to flicker reduction will remove the screen tear but have framerate problems again though.

Thanks I'll give it a try and see which graphical glitch I can live with.

ruttyboy

I was checking to see if they'd fixed the shitty decals on the Celica GT-Four (they haven't...) and I accidently glitched into the cabin. Look at the detail they put into this shit that you never see and yet they can't implement a filter on a leaderboard! Sometimes I feel like crying.

ronda_1z0j2t.jpg

ruttyboy

I'm pretty sure the people who model the cars aren't the same people who program the online infrastructure.

My point is that the inconsistencies within PD are huge, if they could bring everything up to the same level as the things they do best (or even a happy medium!) then what they would produce would be simply astounding.

But he's done a terrible job, so why is he still working on AI?

Yoshida needs to go to Polyphony and get this shambles of an outfit sorted out before GT well and truly dies.

I

-Amon-

I can't really understand the doom & gloom posts guys.

I fire up GT6 when i have some free time, driving only with the pad now. I'm clearing International B atm, and i'm having serious fun.

My only major gripe with GT6 is the fucking brakes lol.

Obviously the game is far from perfect, but reading that this franchise is dieing makes me really wonder.

muteki

GT doesn't have a campaign. Just races.. to get money..

Some say it has one, but i've been playing the same game they've been since GT1.

They handled it really well in the toca series.

When did it start getting referred to as a "career" or "campaign" mode? Before it was "Simulation Mode", which implies something different.

commedieu

Banned
When did it start getting referred to as a "career" or "campaign" mode? Before it was "Simulation Mode", which implies something different.

either way, I understand what he and everyone else in the world means that criticize this element of GT. It could use some growth in that arena. But not at the cost of anything else, which is what i'm afraid a campaign mode really would do for GT. We need accurate sounds first. Dont' need anything derailing that with KY's perfect view of an actual racers career.

Ding-Ding

I can't really understand the doom & gloom posts guys.

I fire up GT6 when i have some free time, driving only with the pad now. I'm clearing International B atm, and i'm having serious fun.

My only major gripe with GT6 is the fucking brakes lol.

Obviously the game is far from perfect, but reading that this franchise is dieing makes me really wonder.

You should see the doom & gloom over at GT Planet.

Nearly every thread, regardless of topic gets de-railed by the naysayers. Hell, they even had a topic where someone thought PD might have gone bust because the 2nd Red Bull challenge hadn't appeared. The mods response, leave it open claiming GT5 needed to sell 9 million copies to just break even, suggesting they were on hard times.

I guess the bigger you are, the more you get bashed

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So those of you enjoying the game: how are you doing on the seasonal events. Golded them all? Any times you're really happy with? I spent a couple of hours on the Scirroco one alone and managed a time that put me ~120th, though I've probably slipped down the table by now. Didn't enjoy the X-Bow one on Eiger at all.

amar212

The mods response, leave it open claiming GT5 needed to sell 9 million copies to just break even, suggesting they were on hard times.

TBH I asked him to explain it to me and he did, however I still find his projection wrong - because it is wrong. But it was fun while it lasted.

While this is something really special from GTP, the ultimate artist performance: guy wants to finish GT6 by driving only Skylines. Here is the thread and it is conceptual art at its finest.

TBH I asked him to explain it to me and he did, however I still find his projection wrong - because it is wrong. But it was fun while it lasted.

While this is something really special from GTP, the ultimate artist performance: guy wants to finish GT6 by driving only Skylines. Here is the thread and it is conceptual art at its finest.

That must be really hard, with that limited selection of Skylines in the game.

ruttyboy

So those of you enjoying the game: how are you doing on the seasonal events. Golded them all? Any times you're really happy with? I spent a couple of hours on the Scirroco one alone and managed a time that put me ~120th, though I've probably slipped down the table by now. Didn't enjoy the X-Bow one on Eiger at all.

Golding them fairly easily, although they seem to be getting harder as time goes on (or maybe I'm getting shitter), then losing interest as SRF has ruined the point of them.

But not to be entirely negative and accused of nay-saying, I'll tell you what I'm really enjoying that has surprised me, Brands Hatch GP!

Such a great track, it flows so well and despite a relatively simple layout, I still don't feel like I'm getting nearly the best out of it, especially the corners at either end of the main straight.

In the pre-release hype, and since, it seems to have hardly got any attention, certainly less than it deserves. If they eventually put a seasonal on it I'll be spending a lot of time with it, SRF or not.

Ding-Ding

Golding them fairly easily, although they seem to be getting harder as time goes on (or maybe I'm getting shitter), then losing interest as SRF has ruined the point of them.

But not to be entirely negative and accused of nay-saying, I'll tell you what I'm really enjoying that has surprised me, Brands Hatch GP!

Such a great track, it flows so well and despite a relatively simple layout, I still don't feel like I'm getting nearly the best out of it, especially the corners at either end of the main straight.

In the pre-release hype, and since, it seems to have hardly got any attention, certainly less than it deserves. If they eventually put a seasonal on it I'll be spending a lot of time with it, SRF or not.

You think Brands Hatch is good in game... In real life its much better (its my local track)

Any tips for the Nascar races in International A? Been pretty much breezing through the game up until this point. But now they keep drafting me and spinning me out. It's starting to really piss me off.

OatmealMu

You should see the doom & gloom over at GT Planet.

Nearly every thread, regardless of topic gets de-railed by the naysayers. Hell, they even had a topic where someone thought PD might have gone bust because the 2nd Red Bull challenge hadn't appeared. The mods response, leave it open claiming GT5 needed to sell 9 million copies to just break even, suggesting they were on hard times.

I guess the bigger you are, the more you get bashed

I haven't purchased a GT game since Gran Turismo 4, and yet, I can't stop visiting this thread or GT Planet. The franchise and the people around it fascinate me and reminds me of another Japanese developer: Nintendo. Like Nintendo, Polyphony has largely found success doing things their way. Similarly, Polyphonys' fans are often left in the dark leading to all sorts of wild speculation. Every time I read one of Wax Free Vanillas' posts or browse GT Planet I'm taken aback. This is why companies spend so much money on PR and marketing. Without a guiding hand all that's left is the fantasies of the ignorant masses. If Polyphony ever does hire a community manager I hope that person is ready to face a wall of stupid.

Kelas

Yeah the SRF thing is a bummer. I was happy to leave it off and beat my friends times, but to get anywhere near the top end of the global leaderboards you need to have it on. I'd actually prefer if they set everything in stone for the seasonal events so that everyone is on the same level playing field. Lock out assists apart from TCS and ABS, and lock in the exact upgrades they want you to use, if any, but allow you to tinker with drivetrain, suspension, etc.

ruttyboy

Yeah the SRF thing is a bummer. I was happy to leave it off and beat my friends times, but to get anywhere near the top end of the global leaderboards you need to have it on. I'd actually prefer if they set everything in stone for the seasonal events so that everyone is on the same level playing field. Lock out assists apart from TCS and ABS, and lock in the exact upgrades they want you to use, if any, but allow you to tinker with drivetrain, suspension, etc.

I'd just have them lock everything down and have the assists as off full stop, but that's just me, but as I've said before, a filter on the leaderboards would do the job almost as well. Maybe one seasonal for tuning, and one for driving would be best.

I just finished watching that Kaz movie, you can watch it here if you have access to a US DNS.

Basically it was a 90 minute fluff piece, nothing we didn't already know about the game, not enough Kaz and far too many tenuous 'game design is art' analogies.

Things of note:

Kaz's engine in the Nurb 24hr does sound like a hairdryer, maybe that 'the sound is too real stuff' has some truth to it?

Kaz claiming he loves nature and then trying to kick trees as hard as he can to kill beetles (or at least give them a headache from the fall).

Small hints that the track design work is future proofed.

The amusing sight of the mum of a 'Red Bull athlete' sitting in a very brown trailer saying how expensive motorsport is.

A really creepy man trying to teach very young children how to race go-karts with a seriousness that borders on the absurd.

Guest appearance by translator-san!

Kaz hanging out with his beatnik mates :D

No offense, but that's quire a selfish attitude to take. Everyone who buys the game deserves a chance to compete in the seasonals and go for gold in their own way ((regardless of skill level). After all, once the main game is finished that is one way you get to keep doing fresh things in the game.

All you do is set the leaderboard rules for assists off, and any assists used means your time doesn't get posted. Easy.

Kelas

No offense, but that's quire a selfish attitude to take. Everyone who buys the game deserves a chance to compete in the seasonals and go for gold in their own way ((regardless of skill level). After all, once the main game is finished that is one way you get to keep doing fresh things in the game.

All you do is set the leaderboard rules for assists off, and any assists used means your time doesn't get posted. Easy.

God forbid a player wouldn't get a gold because they weren't good enough!

Pretty much the only drastic change I'm suggesting is the restriction of SRF. If players are already getting golds now with SRF on, they could probably get them with SRF off with just a few more laps practice. All SRF does is force everyone who wants to place high in the leaderboard to enable it and throw cars unnaturally around the track. PD seems to care a lot about realistic simulation, so I'm surprised they're happy with the undermining of that experience.

As for being selfish, well, I think that's a bit harsh. I'm merely stating a basic idea of how I'd prefer one aspect of the game to be. There's no reason why PD couldn't just include more events to appeal to a broader playerbase, rather than trying to cater for everyone with one type of event. I'd be very selflessly happy with that.

TTG

I just finished watching that Kaz movie, you can watch it here if you have access to a US DNS.

Saw the trailer, couldn't cringe enough. It opens with an analogy to Magellan? How much more melodramatic, conceited and vain could that have come off? You were a part of a development team that made a videogame, some life and death visionary stuff right there, to quote that video, "the madmen that change the way the world works". And I want to reiterate that last point again: one member of a development team. No matter how central he was to the design of the first games(he may not be as involved now, but that's besides the fact that not much has changed of the design side since then) and no matter how much he pushed to get that initial funding when Polyphony didn't have a worldwide following, to label him the architect of the whole thing(1 through 6) is ridiculous. The guys who code the physics, online infrastructure to the core renderer/game engine to the artists and even that lousy sound design... Who thinks they're all implementing Kaz's detailed instructions(oh dat vision). How does that work exactly? He walks into the room and announces that the tenser model needs to be adjusted in such and such a way based on his findings at which point a team coding the physics engine scurry away to change it? My point being that he can only impact the final product in certain ways, by the very nature of racing games those ways are somewhat more limited than a "creative director" on most videogames. Not to mention the parts that he can readily and most directly change have been formulaic for a long time now.

I like Kaz. He gets out there and represents the franchise, he forges some(yea, I'm not gonna let that car roster slide) relationships with industry leaders and the way that has come across is really cool. The racing league they have is fun and I'm sure he's the driving force behind that. I like the inherent flavor preserved in their games and Kaz has a lot to do with that. Which was why I didn't raise an eyebrow when his face was projected on some building and he had a street named after him. This is getting to be too much now. He's a lot closer to Jade Raymond than Scorsese or Spielberg or fucking Magellan of GT6. Ok, rant over.

Top Bottom